• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pfried

Warlord
35 Badges
Aug 23, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities in Motion
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
For patch 1.04c.

This mod adds several de jure empires and attaches all kingdoms (except Abyssinia) to an empire. It also removes some restrictions on kingdom creation.
ck2_3.gif

This mod is intended to be completely modular and should work with any mods that do not alter landed_titles.

This mod includes a modified version of Darrigan's Lowlands & Lotharingia mod and xcrissxcrossx's Greek Kingdoms.

Currently includes:
HRE (vanilla borders)
Byzantium (vanilla borders)
Spain (Castille*, Aragon*, Leon*, Portugal, Al-Andalus)
Great Britain (England*, Scotland*, Wales*, Ireland)
Scandinavia (Denmark* , Norway* , Sweden* , Finland)
Russian Empire (Rus*, Khazaria*, Georgia)
Frankish Empire (France*, Italy*, Burgundy*)
Arabian Caliphate (Arabia*, Mesopotamia*, Persia*, Mauretania*, Africa*, Egypt* )
Poland-Lithuania (Poland*, Lithuania*, Hungary)

To create or usurp an imperial title you must hold all of the kingdom titles with an asterisk on them and at least 50% of the counties in the empire. Titles that aren't necessary for the empire (i.e Portugal for Spain) still count towards the county limit, so even if for example you are king of but only own 50% (or less) of Castille, Aragon and Leon but own most of Portugal and Al-Andalus and you will still be able to create the title.

Note that kingdoms without an asterisk are meant to more or less be titles that would fall under the sphere of influence of the empire if it were to form. These titles also represent territorial ambitions of those empires (ie: Spain vs. Portugal, UK vs. Ireland, Russia vs. Georgia, etc..).

To install this mod simply place the folder and .mod file included in your Crusader Kings II/mod folder.

Ideas/criticism appreciated.

To do:
-Add decisions that allow emperors to create new kingdoms and empires.
-Add in a titular "Roman Empire" for emperors that hold the Byzantine Empire, the Frankish Empire, and Spain.
-Add the Kingdom of Bosporus.
-Split the Arabian Caliphate into the Maghreb & Arabian/Persian Empires.

Update history:
v1.1 (3/18/2012):
-Patched for 1.04c.
-Removed all changes to culture/dynasties/history/map made by Darrigan's mod. Instead his Kingdom of Lotharingia is approximated using vanilla duchies.
-Most restrictions removed from kingdom creation.
-Renamed Nordic Empire to Scandinavia.

v1.0 (2/17/2012):
-Added mod-dir support.
-Added the Kingdoms of Hellas and Anatolia by xcrissxcrossx.
-Restrictions tweaked a bit further.

2/11/2012:
-Removed some restrictions for kingdom-tier title creation.

2/6/2012:
-Added Lotharingia to HRE
-Middle Empire now includes France and has been renamed "Frankish Empire".
-Angevin Empire is now Great Britain once more.
-Added coat of arms for the empire titles.

2/5/2012:
-Added Darrigan's Lotharingia 1.06.
-Renamed Scandinavia to Nordic Empire.
-Removed Roman Empire & Great Britain.
-Added Middle Empire. Poland-Lithuania has been split off from Russia. Hungary added to Poland-Lithuania and removed from the HRE.
-Gave Sicily back to the Byzantine Empire.
-The African & Asian Empires have been merged into the Arabian Caliphate.
-Abyssinia no longer included in any empire.

Attachments

• ck_empires.rar
    450,6 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
I'd clap my hands and download it now but im at work so ill reserve my claps till later :D

seems I was too hasty as it's not out yet so I amend my statement to when It comes out then I'll clap :laugh:

I hate typing with my handphone...

Last edited:
Awesome! This makes actually some sense! (Except the Asian/African Empires, they are quite stupid)

I think the HRE may be too small but that might be because it just has smaller provinces. I don't like the name Roman empire, in the time frame the Byzantine empire was considered by most non Catholics to be the Roman Empire. Beyond that the Roman Empire implies too much. I mean the majority of the map could fall under that at one time or another. I also think that that empire has too much land to be balanced. I haven'tplayed it yet but it may be better to have an Italian+Burgundian empire with a French or French+Netherlands(assuming they have an empire). You could even change Scandinavia and Great Britain to mix and match with a French empire. Maybe Ireland+France then have Scandinavia include Scotland+England. Perhaps a little a historical but I am just throwing ideas out. For the Muslim empires maybe you could have Western vs Eastern Caliphate? This is all assuming you don't want to change/add kingdoms.

I think the HRE may be too small but that might be because it just has smaller provinces. I don't like the name Roman empire, in the time frame the Byzantine empire was considered by most non Catholics to be the Roman Empire. Beyond that the Roman Empire implies too much. I mean the majority of the map could fall under that at one time or another. I also think that that empire has too much land to be balanced. I haven'tplayed it yet but it may be better to have an Italian+Burgundian empire with a French or French+Netherlands(assuming they have an empire). You could even change Scandinavia and Great Britain to mix and match with a French empire. Maybe Ireland+France then have Scandinavia include Scotland+England. Perhaps a little a historical but I am just throwing ideas out. For the Muslim empires maybe you could have Western vs Eastern Caliphate? This is all assuming you don't want to change/add kingdoms.

Adding new kingdoms is not out of the question... I'm considering adding Navarra as a de-jure kingdom title and maybe including the Lotharingia mod by Darrigan. The 'Roman Empire' here is meant to represent a rump western Roman empire lacking its Iberian, British and African provinces - I suppose it would be more accurate to call it the Latin Empire though that might raise some heads seeing as it already exists as a titular empire and was essentially a catholic Byzantine Empire...

The downside to having a big empire is that it'll be that much harder to create that title and most of these are unlikely to ever be created by AI. The reason for the generic empires of Asia/Africa is that I wanted de-jure empires to be secular and creatable by anyone, but I can't find a good name for an area encompassing that region (Middle Eastern Empire seems a bit ahistorical).

Last edited:
Finland should be a part of the Russian Empire. Also African and Asian Empires is a terrible idea. Here's some better ideas.
Northern Africa - Maghrebi Empire
Egypt and Sudan - Nubian Empire (or Egyptian Empire for Muslim kings)
Everything south of Sudan - Ethiopian Empire (or possibly Great Rift Empire)
Arabia - Arabian Empire
Persia and everything west not in Byzantium - Persian Empire (or more likely Mesopotamian Empire for Christian kings)
East of Persia - No idea. Occidental Empire or Uzbek Empire are the best I can think of but those are both bad. You could also just make that all part of Persia too.

Or you could ignore my suggestions and just name the empires after the cultures present in the area. That would also work better than Asian and African Empires.

Last edited:
Finland should be a part of the Russian Empire.
Why would it be that? Sweden had it as a duchy for ages.

Poland, Lithuania and Hungary should be its own empire (Russia is completely overpowered). I would also split the Roman Empire up into France and Burgundy, being a french empire. Then have Italy be its own empire with Italy and Sicily in it.

GREAT IDEA!

Is this just titular titles or province based. And why is Finland a part of Scandinavia?

These are province based titles attached to kingdoms. I originally wanted to make Finland part of the Russian Empire, but Russia is massive enough as it is...

Poland, Lithuania and Hungary should be its own empire (Russia is completely overpowered). I would also split the Roman Empire up into France and Burgundy, being a french empire. Then have Italy be its own empire with Italy and Sicily in it.

This was my original plan but I can't find a historical or semi-historical/cultural/etc precedent for including Hungary in the union. If you could come up with one, I'll gladly split them off of Russia and the HRE.

Finland should be a part of the Russian Empire. Also African and Asian Empires is a terrible idea. Here's some better ideas.
Northern Africa - Maghrebi Empire
Egypt and Sudan - Nubian Empire (or Egyptian Empire for Muslim kings)
Everything south of Sudan - Ethiopian Empire (or possibly Great Rift Empire)
Arabia - Arabian Empire
Persia and everything west not in Byzantium - Persian Empire (or more likely Mesopotamian Empire for Christian kings)
East of Persia - No idea. Occidental Empire or Uzbek Empire are the best I can think of but those are both bad. You could also just make that all part of Persia too.

Or you could ignore my suggestions and just name the empires after the cultures present in the area. That would also work better than Asian and African Empires.

I thought about calling the Asian Empire the Persian Empire, but it wouldn't make much sense if I included Arabia in that case but Mesopotamian Empire could work. Single kingdom empires (or even 2-kingdoms empires) aren't a good idea because they would be too easy to make: to make an empire from 2-kingdoms all you need is the larger of the 2 kingdoms to create the title. For these reasons, most of those suggestions wouldn't work out too well.

I gave the African Empire its temporary name as a logical and more inclusive extension of the "Kingdom of Africa" but I guess I could merge it with the Asian Empire and make one big non-titular Arabian Caliphate that could represent a unification of the shia and sunni caliphates, though this would prevent christians and pagans from creating the title...

If I split France and Burgundy up into an empire of their own, France will create the imperial title almost immediately.

These are province based titles attached to kingdoms. I originally wanted to make Finland part of the Russian Empire, but Russia is massive enough as it is...

This was my original plan but I can't find a historical or semi-historical/cultural/etc precedent for including Hungary in the union. If you could come up with one, I'll gladly split them off of Russia and the HRE.
If your plan is to have it historical/cultural/whatever then you should not even consider adding Finland to the Russian Empire. Anyway, I think there is as much reason to make Hungary a part of a joint Poland/Hungary/Lithuania empire rather than splitting them up between the HRE and Russia for no good reason - and there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagiellon_dynasty

With it you could create an early equivalent to that.

If your plan is to have it historical/cultural/whatever then you should not even consider adding Finland to the Russian Empire. Anyway, I think there is as much reason to make Hungary a part of a joint Poland/Hungary/Lithuania empire rather than splitting them up between the HRE and Russia for no good reason - and there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagiellon_dynasty

With it you could create an early equivalent to that.

Thank you... I can't believe I forgot about the Jagiellonians. Would anyone mind if I simply call such an empire "Poland-Lithuania"? Calling it the Jaegiellonian Empire wouldn't make much sense if an Árpád creates the title. OTOH, it would be weird to make Poland-Lithuania with just Poland and Hungary...

You can mod in special conditions for creation/usurpation of a title.
If you, for example, need to control both Paris and Bourgogne to create that title, you can add something like this:

Code:
allow = {
       AND = {
              has_landed_title = c_bourgogne
              has_landed_title = c_paris
               }
}

That way the French will have to create invade the HRE, before they can create their empire...

I'm not really a supporter of the idea of adding more empires, for both gameplay and historical reasons. (The HRE and the Byzantine Empire were the successors of resp. the Western Roman Empire and the Eastern Roman Empire. There was no third empire, and nobody had the right to create one. Yes, the Spanish tried, but they failed because nobody acknowledged their claim. Not even local rulers. This discussion has been held many times already, so I'm not gonna elaborate :)) But I think that Burgundy should not be pulled out of the HRE. It belongs there, as it was one of the successor states of the Middle Kingdom.

I also think it's weird to have both a Western Roman Empire AND a Holy Roman Empire, since the HRE actually IS the Western Roman Empire. I advise naming it something else. Perhaps if you add the Lotharingia mod, you can create a 'Middle Kingdom'-Empire to unite Lotharingia, Burgundy and Italy?

Last edited:
Mmm, I have issues with most of Europe in that one. First of all, if we're putting Italy in an Empire, Northern Italy should go to the HRE, Southern Italy to the Byzantines. Then, however, we have the question of what to do with France? Also, Hungary and Poland don't really fit in any Empire, and I can't think of a name for an empire that just include the two. Lithuania can go into Russia, though, just cuz.

What if you make an "Angevin" empire of France and England (perhaps the rest of Britain too)?

You can mod in special conditions for creation/usurpation of a title.
If you, for example, need to control both Paris and Bourgogne to create that title, you can add something like this:

Code:
allow = {
       AND = {
              has_landed_title = c_bourgogne
              has_landed_title = c_paris
               }
}

That way the French will have to create invade the HRE, before they can create their empire...

I'm not really a supporter of the idea of adding more empires, for both gameplay and historical reasons. (The HRE and the Byzantine Empire were the successors of resp. the Western Roman Empire and the Eastern Roman Empire. There was no third empire, and nobody had the right to create one. Yes, the Spanish tried, but they failed because nobody acknowledged their claim. Not even local rulers. This discussion has been held many times already, so I'm not gonna elaborate :)) But I think that Burgundy should not be pulled out of the HRE. It belongs there, as it was one of the successor states of the Middle Kingdom.

I also think it's weird to have both a Western Roman Empire AND a Holy Roman Empire, since the HRE actually IS the Western Roman Empire. I advise naming it something else. Perhaps if you add the Lotharingia mod, you can create a 'Middle Kingdom'-Empire to unite Lotharingia, Burgundy and Italy?

I actually did try checking for titles before because I wanted empire creation to be limited to kings who owned all or most of the component kingdom titles, but has_landed_title doesn't isn't checked at all so for now titles can only limited for religion and/or culture until this bug is fixed (or I find another condition that IS checked).

What if you make an "Angevin" empire of France and England (perhaps the rest of Britain too)?

This is actually a good idea, except calling it the Angevin Empire presumes that an Angevin dynasty will unite the empire. A Jagiellonian Empire faces the same problem.

I split off Poland, Lithuania and Hungary from Russia under Poland-Lithuania. Eventually I hope to make it so that Poland and Lithuania are required as kingdom-tier titles to form Poland-Lithuania, but owning parts of Hungary will still help towards the 50% county limit. Africa and Asia have been united under a de-jure caliphate with the exception of Abyssinia, the only kingdom not attached to an empire.

I guess I could give Sicily back to the Byzantines and add Lotharingia for a possible "Lotharingian" Empire or Middle Kingdom composed of Italy, Burgundy, and Lotharingia as Darrigan suggested as well as an "Angevin" Franco-British Empire.

I actually did try checking for titles before because I wanted empire creation to be limited to kings who owned all or most of the component kingdom titles, but has_landed_title doesn't isn't checked at all so for now titles can only limited for religion and/or culture until this bug is fixed (or I find another condition that IS checked).

I did use this kind of condition in the Lotharingia mod. It should work. but it's very important that you put the condition at the end! The game reads the landed_titles.txt file from top to bottom. So if you put "has_landed_title=c_paris" before "c_paris={ b_paris= ... }", the game will not yet have loaded c_paris. Therefore you MUST put it at the bottom.

I don't know if I made myself clear. Feel free to contact me, if you have any questions.