• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it possible that EMF would force one of my sons to inherit my capital county? That's a vague question though. So let's say I'm King of a custom kingdom, of Provence. I press a claim against the Empire of Spain but I keep my capital in Provence. I have two sons, And I have gavelkind succession. My heir is listed as the successor to the capital county of Provence. But when I die, he does not inherit it. In fact, I granted the 2nd son a county in Spain (the only one I possess) just as an expirament after reloading the game. Then I killed myself. The county was "inherited" back to my heir and set as the new capital while the 2nd son then inherited Provence.

I've never, ever encountered anything like this happening to a player before and I'm quite puzzled. So I was curious if EMF was maybe trying to force me to have my capital be in actual Spain or something. I know it does some backround stuff for historical purposes, but I'd always thought it was for the AI.

Is it possible that EMF would force one of my sons to inherit my capital county? That's a vague question though. So let's say I'm King of a custom kingdom, of Provence. I press a claim against the Empire of Spain but I keep my capital in Provence. I have two sons, And I have gavelkind succession. My heir is listed as the successor to the capital county of Provence. But when I die, he does not inherit it. In fact, I granted the 2nd son a county in Spain (the only one I possess) just as an expirament after reloading the game. Then I killed myself. The county was "inherited" back to my heir and set as the new capital while the 2nd son then inherited Provence.

I've never, ever encountered anything like this happening to a player before and I'm quite puzzled. So I was curious if EMF was maybe trying to force me to have my capital be in actual Spain or something. I know it does some backround stuff for historical purposes, but I'd always thought it was for the AI.

EMF does not mess with the inheritance of county- or higher-level titles for Gavelkind. The only thing EMF changes w.r.t Gavelkind is that for Gavelkind inheritance of duchy- or higher-level titles, it prevents baronies in the character's current capitol province from being inherited by someone other than whoever inherits the capitol province's county title. If you are encountering Gavelkind weirdness that is not related to baronies in your capitol holding, it is almost certainly a vanilla bug (or a bug caused by some other mod/submod messing with Gavelkind).

The newest alpha has a bracket mistake that adds allow_desc and effect_desc decisions that i fixed for myself here

796 = {
OR = {
NOT = { num_of_max_settlements = 7 }
has_empty_holding = yes
}
}

On the topic of crusades. The target priority system could use tweaking... in my current game, Mongols took Constantinople and most of Greece in the early 1000s, triggering the crusades. The pope decided that the independent Sunni Sicily was to be the target. Fast-forward 60 or so years, Mongols own most of eastern Europe and bits of Germany and Lotharingia. Where did the second crusade occur? Abbasid Egypt!

EMF does not mess with the inheritance of county- or higher-level titles for Gavelkind. The only thing EMF changes w.r.t Gavelkind is that for Gavelkind inheritance of duchy- or higher-level titles, it prevents baronies in the character's current capitol province from being inherited by someone other than whoever inherits the capitol province's county title. If you are encountering Gavelkind weirdness that is not related to baronies in your capitol holding, it is almost certainly a vanilla bug (or a bug caused by some other mod/submod messing with Gavelkind).

Thanks! That's really the answer I was hoping for. If it's a bug I can feel less guilty about using the console to give myself the title back :p :p. I'll be primogeniture soon enough anyway.

Something is causing a few characters in my current campaign to accumulate a ridiculous amount of courtiers, which has slowed my game to a halt. I've tried killing off their entire courts with a targeted decision, but they keep generating tons of courtiers.
Screenshot from 2020-02-26 16-32-15.png
(note the absurd court size and wealth)
I can't quite figure out how to debug it. Any suggestions?
[HIP Release 2019-12-20 (Frosty1)]
EMF: Extended Mechanics & Flavor (v11.0 - 2019-12-20)
Arumba and Internal Tab Shortcuts (2019-05-18)
ARKO Interface (2019-12-18)
SWMH (v3.4 - 2019-12-20)
ARKO Armoiries (2019-12-18)
LTM (C - 2019-12-02)

Something is causing a few characters in my current campaign to accumulate a ridiculous amount of courtiers, which has slowed my game to a halt. I've tried killing off their entire courts with a targeted decision, but they keep generating tons of courtiers.
(note the absurd court size and wealth)
I can't quite figure out how to debug it. Any suggestions?

Hmm, is there anything you notice about which characters are getting the courtiers, and what these courtiers actually look like? E.g. are the courtiers all priests, are they all physicians, are the all martial characters, etc.? Are the characters getting the courtiers all only Christian, all Counts, all members of the same society, etc.?

Also, just to double check, you aren't running any submods that affect gameplay, right? Since I see your interface has a lot of blued graphics that aren't as blue in vanilla or any base HIP install.

Hmm, is there anything you notice about which characters are getting the courtiers, and what these courtiers actually look like? E.g. are the courtiers all priests, are they all physicians, are the all martial characters, etc.? Are the characters getting the courtiers all only Christian, all Counts, all members of the same society, etc.?
The only thing I've noticed so far is that they spawn in groups of 4-6 with a known dead father and no mother. The oldest in a group spawns with 500 gp and can't be asked to leave court because they are important characters involved in ongoing events, but otherwise their stats are completely average and I don't see any event flags or titles standing out. I'll investigate the events for these characteristics tonight.

As for the lieges themselves, the only thing they have in common is general location near the baltic area.
Also, just to double check, you aren't running any submods that affect gameplay, right? Since I see your interface has a lot of blued graphics that aren't as blue in vanilla or any base HIP install.
Fully vanilla HIP. Arko's UI has always had some blue bits on linux despite his attempts to fix it.

Sounds like merchant republic patricians who are being spawned, then losing their house titles.

Check nearby republics for one with the same culture, might be something weird where they are flipping governments back and forth.
Maybe Rise of Hansa chain broke somehow. Global flag hansa_formed is set, but there's no Hansa. I'll look into it; thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: HandicapdHippo was right, there is a MR in Rugen (a possible Hansa site) that only has 3 houses and keeps spawning and losing the other 2. Seems to be a vanilla engine bug then.
EDIT2: the problem seems to be related to the fact that they are vassals of the Teutonic state and the patrician houses spawn with "Appointment" succession type. The problem goes away if the MR gains independence. Not sure if this is an EMF bug.

Last edited:
EDIT2: the problem seems to be related to the fact that they are vassals of the Teutonic state and the patrician houses spawn with "Appointment" succession type. The problem goes away if the MR gains independence. Not sure if this is an EMF bug.

It's not an EMF bug, but it should be fixable through EMF. Thanks for the detective work.

Fully vanilla HIP. Arko's UI has always had some blue bits on linux despite his attempts to fix it.
I fixed the ones reported. If not reported I have no way to know which one have the wrong encoding without opening each individual graphic file. I saw some from time to time in screenshots but people don't find it weird or seem to care :eek:

I fixed the ones reported. If not reported I have no way to know which one have the wrong encoding without opening each individual graphic file. I saw some from time to time in screenshots but people don't find it weird or seem to care :eek:
I kind of like the blue tint and IMHO the burden should be on Paradox to fix their texture loading on linux, rather than on you.

I kind of like the blue tint and IMHO the burden should be on Paradox to fix their texture loading on linux, rather than on you.
Blue tint is not bad for some icons I am seeing in your screenshot (would need to be consistent though). Blue minimap is ugly.
Sure it would be Paradox work, but I doubt they'd fixing something that don't affect vanilla, and well, not now when they barely abandoned CK2.

Would it be possible to add an option to generate a local culture ruler with my religion? I often just pick local and ask them to convert but it feels a bit tedious when I grant a lot of land.

Perhaps a middle ground option that costs the same piety it takes to ask a character to convert.

Player can declare all the wars on weak claims regardless all conditions in the new beta 2020.3.4.It's very chaotic!Can you fix it. This huge bug didn't exist in beta 2.21!

Wining the HRE election for one character is very punishing right now:
1. Your elector title (titular duchy) is automatically destroyed
2. Titular kingdoms always pass on to the emperor, even if they had a non-elective succession before
2. You lose any non-de jure vassals, regardless of previous points

Is it really meant to work like this? It's probably the same for any elective realms, including MRs