• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just wanted to give this question of mine a gentle bump :eek:o

Some extended destruction mechanics are still under consideration. I didn't move on the previous idea due to a few key weaknesses. However, modding support has improved since then, and the idea will be revisited. [We need to establish a new mechanic centered around Authority+Legitimacy that will take a few generations of poor assertion of authority or illegitimacy to lead to a taifa-like situation. Otherwise, the destruction mechanic doesn't plausibly model real history and social forces and will result in eternally-shattered Islam.]

I must be really behind in the times. The crown laws set up is, well, confusing? I'm guessing you couldn't get rid of the default crown laws so you just made it so that they have no effect now? Tears of a person who comes back to EMF after 6 month CK2 hiatus. :(

I must be really behind in the times. The crown laws set up is, well, confusing? I'm guessing you couldn't get rid of the default crown laws so you just made it so that they have no effect now? Tears of a person who comes back to EMF after 6 month CK2 hiatus. :(

What are you talking about? The tax modifiers? That's a known [engine] issue, and it will be corrected in the next release by a completely revised crown law setup.

What are you talking about? The tax modifiers? That's a known [engine] issue, and it will be corrected in the next release by a completely revised crown law setup.
I know I know. It just had a ruined polaythroaww and I'm just sour dats allluu. >:#

Now leemmmee tell you about this one time how some random catholic priest inherited the byzantine empire and it somehow becaome a Emperor-Archbishopric (complete with Free Investiture as inheritance law). All it took was for the pope to inherit and... Well, weirdest glitch I've ever seen...

I know I know. It just had a ruined polaythroaww and I'm just sour dats allluu. >:#

Sorry. Wish I knew what part, if any, we had in that.

Now leemmmee tell you about this one time how some random catholic priest inherited the byzantine empire and it somehow becaome a Emperor-Archbishopric (complete with Free Investiture as inheritance law). All it took was for the pope to inherit and... Well, weirdest glitch I've ever seen...

Yeah, that's a vanilla inheritance bug right now since 2.3. Rare, but not rare enough such that there haven't been more than few official reports. We can't do anything about that, unfortunately.

Sorry. Wish I knew what part, if any, we had in that.

Yeah, that's a vanilla inheritance bug right now since 2.3. Rare, but not rare enough such that there haven't been more than few official reports. We can't do anything about that, unfortunately.
I was literally laughing as Catholicism ruled the world. It's not just the byzantine emperor tho. I've seen these stupid Norman priests inherit my Orthodox church titles somehow. Probably the real root of the problem. Inheritance doesn't recalculate very fast. Took a year once afta the successful plot for the succession to recalc. Ah well, dunno if EMF has anything to do with thids actually ahaha. Anyways your mod is great. ^_^

Now where's Cybr with VIET Immersion, I have a few interesting ideas that may improve the economy... I mean event ideas! Funeral events yeah... Not much else I can do while waiting for a funeral service in real life to end.

It's time for another teaser! This time for a new module which will be included in the next release... (As usual, click the pictures for larger versions.)

We've been using a slightly updated and improved version of Waylit's old Dungeons and Sieges system for ages now. It served us well, but was showing both signs of age and evidence of some fundamental problems. It was producing too many prisoners, artificially shortening wars by allowing the easy capture of primary participants, and treating both looting and regular sieges as the same when for the most part they were not. I finally had enough and over the last few weeks I've written an entirely new EMF module: SIEGES!

While it's still based loosely on the old system, I've written it from scratch to avoid most of the old problems. The first thing you'll probably notice is that it now handles looting and sieges during warfare completely differently. During regular warfare the capture of nobles and their families is still fairly common, though less common than it was before. Those defending against a normal siege will still get to choose how to respond, but now families or other rulers who are present can try to escape on their own, though sometimes with reduced odds of success. The flavor for all this is also much improved, such as this event which changes depending how successful your family was in escaping:

Another change is that characters no longer hide at the siege but instead attempt to escape it altogether. If successful, the character will get the In Hiding trait, which carries all the same advantages and disadvantages of going into hiding from plots. If the character is unsuccessful, they will be stuck at the siege until it ends, whether by being occupied or because the enemy army breaks off. And unlike the old system you're not stuck with your choice. If you choose to stay and defend, or fail to escape, and then the enemy army breaks off for a while before returning and resuming the siege, you'll get another chance to escape.

Also note that primary participants in wars will be much more careful about preventing their own capture. No more blitzing the enemy capital and ending the war about half the time. It's still very much possible to win a war by capturing an enemy ruler in a siege, but it's now considerably less common.

But what about at the end of a siege? The owner of the occupying army will still get to decide the fates of anyone captured within. This is much the same as before, except that choosing to slaughter everyone present no longer includes the owner of the barony in the massacre and causes somewhat harsher opinion penalties. (Note that the AI is currently blocked from committing massacres, but that functionality will be restored in a future update.

And how do things change for looting?

During looting there are no defender events, as it's assumed that rulers and their families are relatively (but not entirely) safe from the raiders. There are also no choices for attackers at the end of the siege; instead, anyone who was captured at the scene is automatically taken prisoner. The odds of being captured also change: They're much lower if you're a ruler or a noble (have a dynasty), higher if you're lowborn, are a bishop of a religion different from the raiders, or are a woman and the raiders are Pagans or Zoroastrians. (That last one is consistent with vanilla, in case you were wondering.)

As you can see from that screenshot, there's also new mechanics associated with looting. Any player who is non-tribal and either not Pagan or reformed Pagan will lose piety (and the Zealous trait!) if they loot temple holdings of their own faith. Additionally, non-tribal looters who capture a bishop of their own religion will usually get asked to release that bishop and refusing to do so will cost a small amount of piety; the AI will always choose to release.

Some other items of note:
  • Compared to the old system, there will be fewer prisoners taken overall, and much fewer when looting.
  • All of these mechanics respect the In Hiding trait, along with all the pilgrimage traits. A character is also not counted as being present at a barony when they're a councilor on the job in the province.
  • Most of the immediate trait gain or removal effects have been removed. There may still be consequences or rewards for behavior seen as especially notable, but they won't manifest immediately. (Obviously choosing to slaughter captured folks at the end of the siege is one of several exceptions.)
  • Flavor text is now dynamically adjusted depending on many different circumstances.
  • Numerous other bugs with the old system are fixed or avoided altogether.

Reactions:
Is there a chance we'll get a "Convert Feudal into Tribal" Option? I mean we have one that transforms Tribals into Feudal or Merchants, but none that does the opposite O.O

Is there a chance we'll get a "Convert Feudal into Tribal" Option? I mean we have one that transforms Tribals into Feudal or Merchants, but none that does the opposite O.O
The engine does not provide a way to remove existing settlements dynamically, so until it does, there will be no such option.

Hey guys, wheres the manual on how the levy efficiency works?
The manual presently doesn't exist. We're working on adding more documentation on the CK2 Wiki lately, but we haven't gotten into that much detail yet.

Essentially, levy efficiency scales down the effective amount of soldiers you can raise from vassals (demesne unaffected) with increasing realm size (total number of holdings in your [sub-]realm). It has no impact on counts or below about 30 realm size. As your feudal realm grows in size, it has up to a -50% effect at around 300 realm size (vanilla map) or ~400 realm size (SWMH), after which there are no further penalties.

These negative liege levy effects can be fully offset by higher crown authority and high demesne obligations. It is never worse to be larger (total liege levy will always be larger too), but returns upon total liege levy size from conquest do diminish as you grow.

This is both a balance and realism feature.

Reactions:
I am going to cry :'(
Well, don't. The ability may be added in patch 2.4. Though I don't consider it a high-priority moddability request, I have asked for it and will use it to that end if it's added.

I have two questions, one which may not be directly related to EMF.

I've seen on two occasions event troops randomly spawn in the middle of a war, one time for myself and another time for the person I was fighting against. When the AI got the event troops, the event text was the same as when more rebels spawn during a religious uprising. Is this supposed to be happening?

Is there any way to make it so the Invasion CB doesn't become invalid if a faction deposes the leader of the kingdom you're fighting? Or at the very least, make it so it doesn't prevent you from launching a new invasion?

I've seen on two occasions event troops randomly spawn in the middle of a war, one time for myself and another time for the person I was fighting against. When the AI got the event troops, the event text was the same as when more rebels spawn during a religious uprising. Is this supposed to be happening?

Every faction war also has chances of similar 'Loyalists flock to your banner' and 'Peasants flock to the rebel cause' (not actual texts-- I can't remember them) events, as they certainly have the mechanic. It is probable that it was not exactly the same event text as a religious revolt. In any case, take a screenshot if you think it's out of place, and if it is, then it's vanilla.

Is there any way to make it so the Invasion CB doesn't become invalid if a faction deposes the leader of the kingdom you're fighting? Or at the very least, make it so it doesn't prevent you from launching a new invasion?

Which Invasion CB? The one which you request from the Pope against another Catholic? Viking Invasion? [There are a million different CBs called Invasion] You probably mean the latter? Can you please be more specific about exactly what happens and what you'd prefer to happen? Currently our CB and targeting behavior is identical to vanilla for Prepared Invasion stuff. Also, a fair bit of it is hard-coded, so your wishes may be out of our control, but I can try to look into them once you give me more detail.

Every faction war also has chances of similar 'Loyalists flock to your banner' and 'Peasants flock to the rebel cause' (not actual texts-- I can't remember them) events, as they certainly have the mechanic. It is probable that it was not exactly the same event text as a religious revolt. In any case, take a screenshot if you think it's out of place, and if it is, then it's vanilla.

These aren't faction wars; these are wars I declare against another country. I don't have a screenshot of it and I don't know if I can replicate it, but I'm relatively certain it's the same text as the religious revolt (in fact I just looked up the localization for those uprisings and it was the same). If it matters, it appeared during a Holy War against me by an orthodox country while I owned Orthodox provinces.

Which Invasion CB? The one which you request from the Pope against another Catholic? Viking Invasion? [There are a million different CBs called Invasion] You probably mean the latter? Can you please be more specific about exactly what happens and what you'd prefer to happen? Currently our CB and targeting behavior is identical to vanilla for Prepared Invasion stuff. Also, a fair bit of it is hard-coded, so your wishes may be out of our control, but I can try to look into them once you give me more detail.

Sorry for not being specific. I'm referring to the invasion available to Tengri rulers. I was invading Bulgaria (against Byzantium) as the Pechenegs and in the middle of the war the Byzantine ruler was deposed and I got an alert saying my CB is no longer valid.

These aren't faction wars; these are wars I declare against another country. I don't have a screenshot of it and I don't know if I can replicate it, but I'm relatively certain it's the same text as the religious revolt (in fact I just looked up the localization for those uprisings and it was the same). If it matters, it appeared during a Holy War against me by an orthodox country while I owned Orthodox provinces.

Sounds neat. It sounds like a religious revolt would've occurred, but they joined their same-faith brethren instead of launching their own silly province revolt. That's WAD.

Sorry for not being specific. I'm referring to the invasion available to Tengri rulers. I was invading Bulgaria (against Byzantium) as the Pechenegs and in the middle of the war the Byzantine ruler was deposed and I got an alert saying my CB is no longer valid.

Since the war is not for a specific, held title (but just for de jure territory), naturally the war does invalidate when the defender no longer has any titles in his [sub-]realm in the de jure territory (e.g., he is no longer a ruler, so he has no realm titles at all).

However, we will soon be changing the way all CB cooldowns work so that cases of war invalidation do not lead to a cooldown being applied (in your case, it's a lifetime one for Tribal Invasion). I've made a GitHub Issue to track the work item here:

https://github.com/zijistark/EMF/issues/224

If you create a GitHub account, you can 'Watch' the EMF repository to see updates (and add comments to) issues and other progress.

Sounds neat. It sounds like a religious revolt would've occurred, but they joined their same-faith brethren instead of launching their own silly province revolt. That's WAD.

It does, but it also happened to me as the Tengri Pechenegs invading the Byzantines (and I don't know if the rebels were Bulgarian culture rebels or the heresy that all the Bulgarian provinces are at the start since I got the troops) so I don't know if all the cases of this occurring are explainable or if there's something making attackers gain event troops from any uprising in the defender's realm.

Since the war is not for a specific, held title (but just for de jure territory), naturally the war does invalidate when the defender no longer has any titles in his [sub-]realm in the de jure territory (e.g., he is no longer a ruler, so he has no realm titles at all).

However, we will soon be changing the way all CB cooldowns work so that cases of war invalidation do not lead to a cooldown being applied (in your case, it's a lifetime one for Tribal Invasion). I've made a GitHub Issue to track the work item here:

https://github.com/zijistark/EMF/issues/224

If you create a GitHub account, you can 'Watch' the EMF repository to see updates (and add comments to) issues and other progress.

Ok, I will. Thank you.