• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A small bug with regards to the become marshal/chancellor/etc. ambitions is still present. The way they are coded now, due to a vanilla bug, you don't actually receive an opinion bonus from a courtier whom you appoint to a position he/she desired. Quoting an earlier discussion about this bug:

-snip-

I'm using the EMF 1.1 Beta version. The fix above works for me. I believe this was corrected for Project Balance, so it might be a fix that was not applied to your branch.

As mentioned, this problem is still the same as vanilla in Project Balance, but it and other vanilla bugs like it have been corrected in the EMF beta now:

https://github.com/zijistark/EMF/commit/26db36a3ae07f288b1cb30a9c3d5cf63f117a96d

I was very excited about the "inherited lucky ruler trait" described in the features list.. However, as I understood the "inherited" in it, I expected to see the trait pass on to the lucky rulers successor and not disappear from the dynasty/game. As it stands now, the lucky ruler trait disappears with the death of the ruler who got it assigned by the event in game start. Is this WAI or a bug?

I was very excited about the "inherited lucky ruler trait" described in the features list.. However, as I understood the "inherited" in it, I expected to see the trait pass on to the lucky rulers successor and not disappear from the dynasty/game. As it stands now, the lucky ruler trait disappears with the death of the ruler who got it assigned by the event in game start. Is this WAI or a bug?

It will disappear if the ruler who would've inherited it is a player or married to a player. However, it should still select a random AI controlled character of the same tier and grant them the trait, unless no such character exists. Also, you should be aware that currently the trait is passed to the primary heir, whoever that might be, and thus it doesn't really care about following a specific dynasty.

Hmm, I've played several games now and from what I saw nobody inherited that trait ever. I started the games between 8-10 lucky ruler kings and tried to pay attention but as to the best of my knowledge they all disappeared upon ruler death (I intermittently used the search to list all rulers in the world and sorted them by most martial etc. to look for the traits). I'm in the middle of another game now that is about 100 years in, will check how things are when I get home today.

It will disappear if the ruler who would've inherited it is a player or married to a player. However, it should still select a random AI controlled character of the same tier and grant them the trait, unless no such character exists. Also, you should be aware that currently the trait is passed to the primary heir, whoever that might be, and thus it doesn't really care about following a specific dynasty.

Hmm, I've played several games now and from what I saw nobody inherited that trait ever. I started the games between 8-10 lucky ruler kings and tried to pay attention but as to the best of my knowledge they all disappeared upon ruler death (I intermittently used the search to list all rulers in the world and sorted them by most martial etc. to look for the traits). I'm in the middle of another game now that is about 100 years in, will check how things are when I get home today.

It looks like the Lucky Ruler trait inheritance event was never added to the EMF+VEvents compatch for VIET Events, so wizardchakka must be playing with VIET. The issue's been addressed in the EMF 1.2 Beta.

Ah yes, playing with VIET and the rest of the HIP package. Thanks for the clarification, I suppose installing the EMF Beta will not break my current savegame?

::edit:: Also, if I grant the lucky ruler traits to AI rulers through console, will the inheritance event pick up even mid-game?

Ah yes, playing with VIET and the rest of the HIP package. Thanks for the clarification, I suppose installing the EMF Beta will not break my current savegame?

::edit:: Also, if I grant the lucky ruler traits to AI rulers through console, will the inheritance event pick up even mid-game?

The EMF Beta will not break your savegame (or else it'd be version 2.X).

Technically, if you grant the lucky_ruler trait to AIs via console, they will get some of the bonuses immediately, but not all of the bonuses (not the most important ones, arguably) until those rulers die and pass on the trait properly. [Lucky Rulers also get a special modifier to give them more bonuses than traits alone can give.] However:

If you want to give a ruler with, say, character ID 140 (William the Conqueror) all the lucky ruler bonuses immediately, then pull up the console, and invoke: event emf_lucky.1 140

If you want to try a random selection of the various tiers, you can just invoke the event that's presented by the scenario customization decision too. On the console: event emf_lucky.0

EDIT: To be clear, yes, the inheritance event will pick-up even mid-game if you install the EMF Beta and assign / randomly select some lucky rulers in one or both of the above ways.

Last edited:
Is your module designed with MP functionality in mind, or is it more of a SP focused effort?

It is very much designed with MP in mind. I hope to promote more HIP MP play with EMF.

What do you think defines a good MP mod, other than simply supporting it and always creating content with MP considered?

It is very much designed with MP in mind. I hope to promote more HIP MP play with EMF.

What do you think defines a good MP mod, other than simply supporting it and always creating content with MP considered?

Awesome, just what I was hoping for. I was thinking about trying another game with HIP after Charlemagne.

A good MP mod? Just what you said, with a specific focus on balance. My previous foray into MP (in vanilla) ended with my Norse Scandinavia quite easily dominating the world and breaking the game.

Finding your module here actually was really nice, since I was already looking at possibly using HIP with MP, you're already addressing some of my biggest grips back when I played it. Particularly RNG screwing you in relation to traits, despite traits being so integral to expansion and wars (Craven/Content, bane of my existence; at least Slothful could be gotten rid of by spamming Hunts).

Hey zij.
I can move Agents freely now...
Is this WAD???

Cheers...

Hey zij.
Is this WAD???

Cheers...

Oh, this was something I wanted to bring up in regards to MP balance.

Free council movement is pretty easy to abuse, particularly with spymaster running spy network (I believe that reveals all neighboring provinces). A savvy player will always know where every enemy stack is at all times, using that.

Yep...I think we should get back to the previous setting cause I really like the Role Play elements of Agents...

Hey zij.
Is this WAD???

Cheers...

Yes. We have features planned / underway that will require you to target provinces on the map with your chancellor in order to use. You'll want to be able to select another province while paused or over short durations.

Oh, this was something I wanted to bring up in regards to MP balance.

Free council movement is pretty easy to abuse, particularly with spymaster running spy network (I believe that reveals all neighboring provinces). A savvy player will always know where every enemy stack is at all times, using that.

We can remove the Fog of War exploit. Thanks for bringing this up!

Yep...I think we should get back to the previous setting cause I really like the Role Play elements of Agents...

There are definitely advantages to being able to freely target provinces/rulers with a councillor and invoke a decision that pops-up when you do so. Plus, free redeployment does avoid those insanely annoying times when you try to place councillors on the SWMH map, but the provinces are small, so some of them you have to retry a few times before you actually land them on the correct province. Also, it makes marshals much, much, much more likely to be used by the AI as commanders, which is very important to a number of mechanics.

Introducing a new feature to EMF...

Automatic Empire Disintegration. If familiar with CK2+, an empire's qualification conditions for dismantlement are roughly the same. Except I've taken the process further to coherently create an available, qualifying (passes the 51% rule) kingdom title before the empire title is destroyed (if the emperor lacks any other such titles to prevent all of his duke-level vassals from gaining independence and inducing map gore).

In my game as Alexios, well, the Alexiad hadn't really gone as planned. The Pechenegs invaded and took all of Bulgaria. Rum was at its height when I started, and then they conquered all of Thessalonika. As soon as I lost control of Constantinople, this was my reward for being a super competent Emperor with very little land:

emf_empire_disintegration.jpg

Curses! The surprisingly clean aftermath:

emf_empire_disintegration_after.jpg

Yep, I'm now merely the King of the charmingly blue Epirus.

Works for any empire, de jure or titular, with minimum realm size conditions that adapt to either the SWMH or vanilla map's holding density. It's now in the EMF 1.2 Beta.

Very neat.

Does keeping your de jure Empire Capitol affect this event, or is it purely total land based? Never played CK2+, myself.

The top de jure empire capitol only matters for the ERE or the Latin Empire (for which the entire Empire's legitimacy revolved around the possession of the Queen City). For other empires that aren't exempt (e.g., the Horde empires are exempt until they convert to another religion), it's simply a matter of slipping below a realm size of 100 holdings or 150 holdings when playing with SWMH. For reference, Byzantium and the HRE have over 4x that at start. Charlemagne's minimum realm size for its dynamic empire titles shall also be congruent with these minimums signifying major loss of legitimacy as a proper Empire.

Introducing a new feature to EMF...

Automatic Empire Disintegration. If familiar with CK2+, an empire's qualification conditions for dismantlement are roughly the same. Except I've taken the process further to coherently create an available, qualifying (passes the 51% rule) kingdom title before the empire title is destroyed (if the emperor lacks any other such titles to prevent all of his duke-level vassals from gaining independence and inducing map gore).

In my game as Alexios, well, the Alexiad hadn't really gone as planned. The Pechenegs invaded and took all of Bulgaria. Rum was at its height when I started, and then they conquered all of Thessalonika. As soon as I lost control of Constantinople, this was my reward for being a super competent Emperor with very little land:

emf_empire_disintegration.jpg

Curses! The surprisingly clean aftermath:

emf_empire_disintegration_after.jpg

Yep, I'm now merely the King of the charmingly blue Epirus.

Works for any empire, de jure or titular, with minimum realm size conditions that adapt to either the SWMH or vanilla map's holding density. It's now in the EMF 1.2 Beta.

Save game compatible???
I want it now...:eek:hmy:
Does it work with All Ahistorical Empires also???

The top de jure empire capitol only matters for the ERE or the Latin Empire (for which the entire Empire's legitimacy revolved around the possession of the Queen City). For other empires that aren't exempt (e.g., the Horde empires are exempt until they convert to another religion), it's simply a matter of slipping below a realm size of 100 holdings or 150 holdings when playing with SWMH. For reference, Byzantium and the HRE have over 4x that at start. Charlemagne's minimum realm size for its dynamic empire titles shall also be congruent with these minimums signifying major loss of legitimacy as a proper Empire.

Nice, sounds like a good mechanic to take care of those rump state empires that pop up occasionally (and the "give kingdom" in return is a nice tweak to it).

A couple things I've noticed from my last game:
Killing children via plot is terribly easy, still, much like Vanilla. Has this been tweaked at all in PB or EMF? It's pretty easy to trim dynasty trees exactly how you want over long term by just murdering children non-stop.
On the "murder plot" note, I've noticed that (like Vanilla, again) the "drunkard blabs" event is incredibly common. I know in Vanilla it was not connected to traits in any way, and worry this might still be the case. Additionally, that event is required to be confirmed by the plot leader before negative effects kick in; a savvy player can simply cancel the plot before confirming the event, and skips all negative repercussions (even plot target doesn't get angry!). Any way to move negative effects of this to the event for the character which triggers the leak? (Or at least remove dependencies on active plot to fire negative repercussions)

Additionally, the ease with which Primogeniture is established throughout Europe seems a bit off. Starting from Old Gods, it's not unusual at all to see all Karling Kingdoms at Primogeniture well before 1000CE, and over 75% of vassals throughout Christian realm having moved to Primogeniture. While I like that HIP removes the "keep Crown Authority at Medium, vassals never leave Gavelkind" strategy of Vanilla, as that was a bit too easy to control vassals indefinitely, it's very odd to see Primogeniture established in centrally weak states just because the ruler inherited a decent amount of dynastic prestige and gets a good long reign modifier. Perhaps tying this to tech in some way could help (or something akin to Charlemagne's planned "Centralization" slider law, which is also tied to tech).
I don't think it should be a hard lock based on laws (as in Vanilla), but ease of installing Primo succession should definitely be more strongly related in some way to the centralized power of a realm, instead of just prestige.

EDIT: A second check shows that Kingom's must have at least some level of increased crown laws to enact Primogeniture, but I still feel these are far too loose (Any ONE of title revocation or ruler's peace laws? Single generation accomplishment), based on Karling Kingdoms ALL going to Primo so early and easily. Also, Dukes and below being omitted from being tied to Kingdom Laws is also fairly jarring.

EDIT 2: Noticed you have a "plots" issue already listed on github, and the need for reform there. Reading through it reminded me of another plot issue I ran into; I repeatedly had issues with unlanded courtiers of mine (usually wrong religion marriage partners for dynasty members) go on plot murder sprees of my spymasters. All my spymasters were unlanded dynasty members, and these courtiers would never get flagged for just imprisonment or anything, despite being found out on successful completion nearly every time. Infuriating, as I would need to take Tyranny to resolve the issue, and they were consistently trimming my family tree of some of it's most gifted Intrigue individuals (I train all female dynasty members to Intrigue, usually). Also have no idea how a wrong religion/culture character was successfully plot killing dynasty spymasters usually over 20 intrigue each, but that's entirely separate.

Wow, this turned into a wallpost, sorry about that.

Last edited: