• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Awesome, thank you for posting your summary :)

Having seen that this mod will make it possible for Norse women to be "shield maidens": does this mean that it is also a part of EMF's remit to create cultural mechanics, or is this, by and large, only something for VIET immersion?

VIET Immersion is devolving at this point to mainly focus on cultural mechanics, so that will be our niche within HIP. EMF will, at least so ziji has told me, generally not focus on such things, though it is inevitable that something of its scope might lightly brush on it occasionally, but hopefully we will be able to figure out what belongs where in such situations.

Not to mention, I don't think anything could ever compete with VIET Immersion for cultural mechanics! Anything contrary to that is heresy and must be suppressed by my inquisition of baklava and mindless references! I will have absolute power! [evil laugh, etc. Etc. etc.]

Most certainly cybr! We definitely cannot have zijistark stealing all this glorious baklava! VIET will always be the king of Oriental sweets, which were, after all, essential in the government of medieval realms :)

Edit:

@Anax: interesting! What do the green and red fields mean?

Awesome, thank you for posting your summary :)

Having seen that this mod will make it possible for Norse women to be "shield maidens": does this mean that it is also a part of EMF's remit to create cultural mechanics, or is this, by and large, only something for VIET immersion?

We'll definitely touch cultural/religious mechanics (note also the 2 Muslim holy orders added, e.g.), but simply put, we'll tend to be more busy with more general mechanics, flavor, and fun than we will be with specific, more obscure stuff. There's simply so much to add in that department when it comes to our rather high standards, as outlined in the OP. Immersion Devolved, whenever it exists reborn, already has so much cultural/religious content that we won't catch up to that (especially with regard to the really obscure stuff).

OTOH, EMF already has tentative plans to cover a lot of complementary ground; it just won't come for awhile in any significant volume yet, and when it does, we'll probably "stream" it in bits here and there in more rapid releases rather than do strictly themed updates like VIET did. In either case, assuming Immersion is around again and stable at that point, cybrxkhan and I will surely work toward ensuring the mix of the two is coherent and high-quality.

Looks great! Will/does this break saves?

Will it break saves for its initial release? Due to the addition of the 2 Muslim holy order titles, it might. [It is highly unlikely, but we haven't tested it.] Otherwise, definitely not.

In the future, it should break saves about as often as Project Balance does, which is to say only with major DLC patches. I'll add that note to the OP under the Compatibility section near the end.

VIET Immersion is devolving at this point to mainly focus on cultural mechanics, so that will be our niche within HIP. EMF will, at least so ziji has told me, generally not focus on such things, though it is inevitable that something of its scope might lightly brush on it occasionally, but hopefully we will be able to figure out what belongs where in such situations.

Not to mention, I don't think anything could ever compete with VIET Immersion for cultural mechanics! Anything contrary to that is heresy and must be suppressed by my inquisition of baklava and mindless references! I will have absolute power! [evil laugh, etc. Etc. etc.]
And the 'Survey Realm' decision? Honestly, it's one of the things I love most about VIET Immersion in the first place.

Most certainly cybr! We definitely cannot have zijistark stealing all this glorious baklava! VIET will always be the king of Oriental sweets, which were, after all, essential in the government of medieval realms :)

Edit:

Baklava has always been a tad too sweet for my tastes anyway. ;)

The animation Anax posted was 1 year (so 4 seasons) in a loop of a map mode that shows which regions are affected by weather. They're the red ones. Green is "normal conditions."

And the 'Survey Realm' decision? Honestly, it's one of the things I love most about VIET Immersion in the first place.

That's the kind of thing that EMF is highly likely to add to the game (though we would do our own original version), in various forms. Generally speaking, any excuses to set off and travel throughout your realm or directly interact with other characters interactively are A+ EMF material.

That'll still be in Immersion, I quite like it myself.

Edit: But tats one of my exceptions I suppose

Red is where weather is happening, green is where it's not. (It's from one of my tests of the weather system; I temporarily assigned all weather really high revolt risk and used the revolt risk map mode to get an idea of how it was appearing.)

Red is where weather is happening, green is where it's not. (It's from one of my tests of the weather system; I temporarily assigned all weather really high revolt risk and used the revolt risk map mode to get an idea of how it was appearing.)

It seems like there are certain areas who are constantly affected by the weather. Central Asia never moves out of the middle zone and neither does Northern Norway. Is this intentional or is it just a happy coincidence?

It seems like there are certain areas who are constantly affected by the weather. Central Asia never moves out of the middle zone and neither does Northern Norway. Is this intentional or is it just a happy coincidence?

It's coincidence, probably stemming from the small sample size. The locations affected are randomly chosen (with some adjustments made due to game limitations) and it's entirely possible for the same location to get weather many seasons in a row or not to see weather at all for a long time.

That's the kind of thing that EMF is highly likely to add to the game (though we would do our own original version), in various forms. Generally speaking, any excuses to set off and travel throughout your realm or directly interact with other characters interactively are A+ EMF material.

That'll still be in Immersion, I quite like it myself.

Edit: But tats one of my exceptions I suppose
Cool. Coolcoolcool.

can t wait for it !!

Looks great! Will/does this break saves?

Actually, on second thought, yes, for the initial release of EMF, you'll need to start a new campaign. Otherwise, the dynamic levies feature (which is to say, critical, or else rulers won't have appropriate liege levies) may not initialize properly. I would say that it's safest to just assume "Yes, if it's an initial release of a new overhaul mod, I should start a new campaign with it."

How will the weather from this interact with the seasonal changes in Charlemagne? Are you going to wait and see what Paradox has done before finalizing it?

That's correct; we won't be making any changes to our approach until after we get to see how Charlemagne does seasons in its release form.

Speaking about decadence: what mecahnisms will Muslims get to ensure that dynasties can rise and fall more easily than in Europe? A simple kludge would be to give the regent, the grand vizier and the 3 biggest vassals or so a strong claim on the liege's title during regencies, and perhaps increase the propensity of Muslim rulers to form factions pressing claims. A more sophisticated system would be to set up specific factions that demand a new ruler from their midst or a fracturing of the realm...