• Pre order now!

Paradox Development Studio brings you the sequel to one of the most popular strategy games ever made! Crusader Kings III is soon upon us and you can pre order it today!

Releasing September 1st 2020

crukin

Captain
31 Badges
Apr 13, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
Is there a rule that you can't have more than one empire title? How can i do it if i want to become emperor of persia and sayoshant first, then afterwards reform the roman empire? Is it possible to change your primary title empire?

zijistark

HIP Lead
57 Badges
Jan 29, 2013
www.zijistark.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
The alpha branch of EMF introduces changes to the AI logic behind joining crusades. I welcome those and I have to say it's very impressive how fast some of the ideas mentioned in this thread were implemented.
Thanks. We do listen. And we're also paying quite a bit of personal attention too, so we're fairly in touch with your guys' experiences.

1) Bar rulers from joining if they have possible crusade (or holy war?) targets next door. This might be difficult to implement and tbh I'm not entirely sure what the exact criteria should be. But it would not only make sense from an immersion, but also from a game balance point of view (Iberian catholic realms weakening themselves unnecessarily when they share a border with a hostile Al-Andalus or even weirder, crusader Jerusalem fighting heretics in continental Europe while being surrounded by infidels).
Hmm. Would not be super-easy to realize in practice. You say "possible crusade (or holy war?) targets next door," but only the Pope can call a Crusade, and if he's already preparing one, then by definition there are no valid Crusade targets next door (cannot be multiple Crusades launched by the same faith at the same time), so that only leaves holy wars (and is effectively what Pope Paschal meant).

We can do some gymnastics to evaluate if the target ruler currently has the ability to declare one of our 3 holy war CBs (1 normal, 1 special, 1 being Religious Reconquest) on an infidel/heathen/heretic, but there are some pragmatic issues wherein the historical behavior would have difficulty staying aligned with CK2's effective behavior:
  • It's quite likely that between holy war cooldowns and piety cost restrictions and such, they just won't have any valid holy war CBs available at the time.
  • Even if they were available, I think I'm against forcing the AI to declare the holy war on their lonesome via script. Given this, the decision to use the CB would be up to the hard-coded AI, and knowing the AI, I just don't see such a ruler reliably actually following through and declaring holy war locally rather than participating in the Crusade. I mean, for one, there's a good chance they're simply outmatched military-wise.
TL;DR: Not impossible at all, but I'm not sure doing it in a robust and coherent way is worth the required complexity just to represent this policy of Pope Paschal II.

2) Modify (references to) HFP.41056/HFP.41057 as it wasn't really a thing historically to have excommunicated rulers to be allowed to participate in a crusade except when the reason for the excommunication was that they failed to respect their vow to join a previous crusade (has_character_flag = crusade_excommunicated). A ruler should first get their excommunication lifted the normal way before they'd be allowed to pledge (again, unless excommunicated for breaking a crusade vow).
This could be done, certainly. Was this again a Paschal thing or really throughout the entire Crusader era? I'll probably defer to @Delnar_Ersike.

Is there a rule that you can't have more than one empire title? How can i do it if i want to become emperor of persia and sayoshant first, then afterwards reform the roman empire? Is it possible to change your primary title empire?
As @Whizzer said but I shall further elucidate:

If you're an emperor and you gain a secondary empire title somehow, then an event will popup and force you to choose between whether to keep your current empire title and destroy the new one (for free -- not the same punishing opinion and prestige effects of a manual title destruction) OR take the new empire title as your primary and destroy the old empire. Note that there's no way to game Imperial Decay this way (since Decay is tied to an empire title and not any one character, you'd think you might, but you can't).

This is the policy of "One Emperor, One Empire" that both EMF and CK2+ (and probably some other overhaul mods? IDK) enforce for plausibility reasons. Empires were not things that rulers collected; there was never an Emperor of more than one Empire.

As to your question, though: Well, conquer Persia so that you can form/usurp it. I have no idea how you will then somehow gain the throne of the Byzantine Empire, but uh, assuming you can manage to do so, then you'd be asked to choose. Since you want to reform Rome, you'd choose to take the Byzantine Empire as your new empire title once you somehow gain it and let the event destroy the Persian Empire (you don't lose any vassals, they all just become 'annexed' into the de facto Byzantine Empire). From there, you follow the standard path to reforming the Roman Empire, which typically involves a lot of Imperial Reconquest.

MidasGrabbedMeByMy

Private
35 Badges
Jul 22, 2018
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
Hmm. Would not be super-easy to realize in practice.
That is what I feared.

You say "possible crusade (or holy war?) targets next door," but only the Pope can call a Crusade, and if he's already preparing one, then by definition there are no valid Crusade targets next door (cannot be multiple Crusades launched by the same faith at the same time), so that only leaves holy wars (and is effectively what Pope Paschal meant).
I'm aware of that. I guess my wording was a bit confusing. What I meant was if there's a realm that could be a crusade target (muslim Al-Andalus would qualify) in the neighbourhood then it would make sense that the local catholic realms should be expected to concentrate their efforts on fighting the immediate threats and not waste resources on far away threats (crusade targets in the Levant).

We can do some gymnastics to evaluate if the target ruler currently has the ability to declare one of our 3 holy war CBs (1 normal, 1 special, 1 being Religious Reconquest) on an infidel/heathen/heretic, but there are some pragmatic issues wherein the historical behavior would have difficulty staying aligned with CK2's effective behavior:
  • It's quite likely that between holy war cooldowns and piety cost restrictions and such, they just won't have any valid holy war CBs available at the time.
  • Even if they were available, I think I'm against forcing the AI to declare the holy war on their lonesome via script. Given this, the decision to use the CB would be up to the hard-coded AI, and knowing the AI, I just don't see such a ruler reliably actually following through and declaring holy war locally rather than participating in the Crusade. I mean, for one, there's a good chance they're simply outmatched military-wise.
I would like to clarify that I didn't advocate for forced war declarations via script. Just that rulers shouldn't join a Crusade if the target is far away and they have hostile actors that could otherwise be crusade targets as neighbours.

As for how to script it, would the following be possible? Warning, pseudo-code incoming:
Code:
Could any neighbour be a possible crusade target?
  - If yes, then
    - Is any of them the current crusade target?
      - If yes --> allow to join
      - Else --> don't allow to join
  - Else --> allow to join
Optionally don't ban it outright, just make it less likely that they join.

Or alternatively, maybe it would suffice to only exclude the Iberians then and not make it a universal ban? Simply don't join crusades until Reconquista has been finished (no independent muslim realms in Iberia) unless the crusade target is located in Iberia. Make an exception for the human player.

I understand if you deem it to be too difficult or bothersome to implement. Just thinking about how to implement it gave me a headache, but I'm also no wizard in Paradox scripting, so... :)

TL;DR: Not impossible at all, but I'm not sure doing it in a robust and coherent way is worth the required complexity just to represent this policy of Pope Paschal II.
A valid point. Though at least Wikipedia didn't seem to mention any cases of Iberian rulers participating in any of the crusades in the Levant before Reconquista was finished. But I'm no expert and I could certainly have missed something.

Edit: formatting

Last edited:

Unforeseen

Corporal
36 Badges
Feb 21, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • War of the Roses
Is it possible that EMF would force one of my sons to inherit my capital county? That's a vague question though. So let's say I'm King of a custom kingdom, of Provence. I press a claim against the Empire of Spain but I keep my capital in Provence. I have two sons, And I have gavelkind succession. My heir is listed as the successor to the capital county of Provence. But when I die, he does not inherit it. In fact, I granted the 2nd son a county in Spain (the only one I possess) just as an expirament after reloading the game. Then I killed myself. The county was "inherited" back to my heir and set as the new capital while the 2nd son then inherited Provence.

I've never, ever encountered anything like this happening to a player before and I'm quite puzzled. So I was curious if EMF was maybe trying to force me to have my capital be in actual Spain or something. I know it does some backround stuff for historical purposes, but I'd always thought it was for the AI.

Delnar_Ersike

HIP Contributor
51 Badges
Nov 8, 2013
  • Magicka
  • Dungeonland
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Magicka 2
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • The Showdown Effect
Is it possible that EMF would force one of my sons to inherit my capital county? That's a vague question though. So let's say I'm King of a custom kingdom, of Provence. I press a claim against the Empire of Spain but I keep my capital in Provence. I have two sons, And I have gavelkind succession. My heir is listed as the successor to the capital county of Provence. But when I die, he does not inherit it. In fact, I granted the 2nd son a county in Spain (the only one I possess) just as an expirament after reloading the game. Then I killed myself. The county was "inherited" back to my heir and set as the new capital while the 2nd son then inherited Provence.

I've never, ever encountered anything like this happening to a player before and I'm quite puzzled. So I was curious if EMF was maybe trying to force me to have my capital be in actual Spain or something. I know it does some backround stuff for historical purposes, but I'd always thought it was for the AI.
EMF does not mess with the inheritance of county- or higher-level titles for Gavelkind. The only thing EMF changes w.r.t Gavelkind is that for Gavelkind inheritance of duchy- or higher-level titles, it prevents baronies in the character's current capitol province from being inherited by someone other than whoever inherits the capitol province's county title. If you are encountering Gavelkind weirdness that is not related to baronies in your capitol holding, it is almost certainly a vanilla bug (or a bug caused by some other mod/submod messing with Gavelkind).

crukin

Captain
31 Badges
Apr 13, 2013
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Victoria 2
The newest alpha has a bracket mistake that adds allow_desc and effect_desc decisions that i fixed for myself here

796 = {
OR = {
NOT = { num_of_max_settlements = 7 }
has_empty_holding = yes
}
}

Militantti Talitintti

Sergeant
29 Badges
Dec 28, 2019
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
On the topic of crusades. The target priority system could use tweaking... in my current game, Mongols took Constantinople and most of Greece in the early 1000s, triggering the crusades. The pope decided that the independent Sunni Sicily was to be the target. Fast-forward 60 or so years, Mongols own most of eastern Europe and bits of Germany and Lotharingia. Where did the second crusade occur? Abbasid Egypt!

Unforeseen

Corporal
36 Badges
Feb 21, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • War of the Roses
EMF does not mess with the inheritance of county- or higher-level titles for Gavelkind. The only thing EMF changes w.r.t Gavelkind is that for Gavelkind inheritance of duchy- or higher-level titles, it prevents baronies in the character's current capitol province from being inherited by someone other than whoever inherits the capitol province's county title. If you are encountering Gavelkind weirdness that is not related to baronies in your capitol holding, it is almost certainly a vanilla bug (or a bug caused by some other mod/submod messing with Gavelkind).
Thanks! That's really the answer I was hoping for. If it's a bug I can feel less guilty about using the console to give myself the title back :p :p. I'll be primogeniture soon enough anyway.

andreihaiducul

Second Lieutenant
68 Badges
Jul 20, 2015
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Prison Architect
  • War of the Roses
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris
Something is causing a few characters in my current campaign to accumulate a ridiculous amount of courtiers, which has slowed my game to a halt. I've tried killing off their entire courts with a targeted decision, but they keep generating tons of courtiers.
Screenshot from 2020-02-26 16-32-15.png
(note the absurd court size and wealth)
I can't quite figure out how to debug it. Any suggestions?
[HIP Release 2019-12-20 (Frosty1)]
EMF: Extended Mechanics & Flavor (v11.0 - 2019-12-20)
Arumba and Internal Tab Shortcuts (2019-05-18)
ARKO Interface (2019-12-18)
SWMH (v3.4 - 2019-12-20)
ARKO Armoiries (2019-12-18)
LTM (C - 2019-12-02)

Delnar_Ersike

HIP Contributor
51 Badges
Nov 8, 2013
  • Magicka
  • Dungeonland
  • Magicka 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • War of the Roses
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • The Showdown Effect
Something is causing a few characters in my current campaign to accumulate a ridiculous amount of courtiers, which has slowed my game to a halt. I've tried killing off their entire courts with a targeted decision, but they keep generating tons of courtiers.
(note the absurd court size and wealth)
I can't quite figure out how to debug it. Any suggestions?
Hmm, is there anything you notice about which characters are getting the courtiers, and what these courtiers actually look like? E.g. are the courtiers all priests, are they all physicians, are the all martial characters, etc.? Are the characters getting the courtiers all only Christian, all Counts, all members of the same society, etc.?

Also, just to double check, you aren't running any submods that affect gameplay, right? Since I see your interface has a lot of blued graphics that aren't as blue in vanilla or any base HIP install.

andreihaiducul

Second Lieutenant
68 Badges
Jul 20, 2015
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Prison Architect
  • War of the Roses
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris
Hmm, is there anything you notice about which characters are getting the courtiers, and what these courtiers actually look like? E.g. are the courtiers all priests, are they all physicians, are the all martial characters, etc.? Are the characters getting the courtiers all only Christian, all Counts, all members of the same society, etc.?
The only thing I've noticed so far is that they spawn in groups of 4-6 with a known dead father and no mother. The oldest in a group spawns with 500 gp and can't be asked to leave court because they are important characters involved in ongoing events, but otherwise their stats are completely average and I don't see any event flags or titles standing out. I'll investigate the events for these characteristics tonight.

As for the lieges themselves, the only thing they have in common is general location near the baltic area.
Also, just to double check, you aren't running any submods that affect gameplay, right? Since I see your interface has a lot of blued graphics that aren't as blue in vanilla or any base HIP install.
Fully vanilla HIP. Arko's UI has always had some blue bits on linux despite his attempts to fix it.

andreihaiducul

Second Lieutenant
68 Badges
Jul 20, 2015
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Prison Architect
  • War of the Roses
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris
Sounds like merchant republic patricians who are being spawned, then losing their house titles.

Check nearby republics for one with the same culture, might be something weird where they are flipping governments back and forth.
Maybe Rise of Hansa chain broke somehow. Global flag hansa_formed is set, but there's no Hansa. I'll look into it; thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: HandicapdHippo was right, there is a MR in Rugen (a possible Hansa site) that only has 3 houses and keeps spawning and losing the other 2. Seems to be a vanilla engine bug then.
EDIT2: the problem seems to be related to the fact that they are vassals of the Teutonic state and the patrician houses spawn with "Appointment" succession type. The problem goes away if the MR gains independence. Not sure if this is an EMF bug.

Last edited:

Delnar_Ersike

HIP Contributor
51 Badges
Nov 8, 2013
  • Magicka
  • Dungeonland
  • Magicka 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • War of the Roses
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • The Showdown Effect
EDIT2: the problem seems to be related to the fact that they are vassals of the Teutonic state and the patrician houses spawn with "Appointment" succession type. The problem goes away if the MR gains independence. Not sure if this is an EMF bug.
It's not an EMF bug, but it should be fixable through EMF. Thanks for the detective work.

Arko

Bleeding for Harder Styles
22 Badges
Jul 1, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Deus Vult
  • Magicka
Fully vanilla HIP. Arko's UI has always had some blue bits on linux despite his attempts to fix it.
I fixed the ones reported. If not reported I have no way to know which one have the wrong encoding without opening each individual graphic file. I saw some from time to time in screenshots but people don't find it weird or seem to care :eek:

andreihaiducul

Second Lieutenant
68 Badges
Jul 20, 2015
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Prison Architect
  • War of the Roses
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris
I fixed the ones reported. If not reported I have no way to know which one have the wrong encoding without opening each individual graphic file. I saw some from time to time in screenshots but people don't find it weird or seem to care :eek:
I kind of like the blue tint and IMHO the burden should be on Paradox to fix their texture loading on linux, rather than on you.

Arko

Bleeding for Harder Styles
22 Badges
Jul 1, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Deus Vult
  • Magicka
I kind of like the blue tint and IMHO the burden should be on Paradox to fix their texture loading on linux, rather than on you.
Blue tint is not bad for some icons I am seeing in your screenshot (would need to be consistent though). Blue minimap is ugly.
Sure it would be Paradox work, but I doubt they'd fixing something that don't affect vanilla, and well, not now when they barely abandoned CK2.