• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Carbon

The Tiger
66 Badges
Apr 7, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
DEUS MEUS ET OMNIA

College of Cardinals mod

Download v1.0.6
Download Resolution Fix
*​

This mod increases the number of members in the College of Cardinals to 20 and also adds a trait for all cardinals. 20 cardinals is an average number closer to how it was in reality in the early Middle Ages without being too overblown and should make the college a little more crowded and interesting. The trait that cardinals get gives a slight boost to learning (+2) given that they can congregate amongst the highest echelons of the Catholic Church, and also gives a slight opinion bonus. These bonuses are negligible for Pope election since all cardinals have them, but give bishops that are cardinals a slight bonus to bishops who aren't.

I want to add more depth to the college so I want to add new features to this mod as a base, mostly tweaking how cardinals and popes are chosen so feel free to leave suggestions for future additions. I also created some clothes for the cardinals that are currently in a finished and fully functional state, but currently there is some difficulty in implementing them as a download while still being in accordance to Paradox DLC policy, so until a custom installer is finished, the clothes are on hold.

Also leave feedback and report any bugs that are encountered so I can quickly fix them.

Screenshot:
OAKjcV8.png

Compatibility & Usage
This mod is confirmed to be compatible with:
  • All mods of HIP
  • Lux Invicta
  • CK2+

I want this mod to be highly compatible with most other mods. It shouldn't be incompatible with any mod that doesn't change the way the college works, but if it somehow is incompatible, let me know. I would love it if you want to use any part of this mod as part of your mod, feel free to do so, just be sure to give me credit and also message me; this is mostly to help sort out compatibility and for me to know where this mod is being used.

Changelog
v1.0.1 - Extended the College expansion to Fraticelli
v1.0.2 - Made it so cardinals who get elected as Pope lose the cardinal trait (still retain learning bonus though), also halved the effect Italian culture has on cardinal/Papal selection
v1.0.3 - Rolled back changes to defines to ensure compatibility, added cardinal trait removal for Fraticelli
v1.0.4 - Bug fixes
v1.0.5 - More bug fixes plus added a trait for Popes which replaces the Cardinal trait upon inauguration, giving a slight bonus that's a little better than the Cardinal trait. Also the Cardinal icon trait has been updated.
v1.0.6 - Few more bug fixes + added fix for small resolutions as a separate module

Installation:
FOR BASE MOD
1. Copy mod folder and .mod file from the RAR
2. Paste in <your user documents>\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
3. Play

FOR SCREEN RESOLUTION FIX
1. Install base mod first
2. Copy contents of the DMeO Resolution Fix folder and paste it over the mod folders of the base mod, making sure the files in the screen resolution fix replace the files in the base mod
3. Play

Special thanks to:
CrackdToothGrin - Helped solve a critical problem
Korbah - Offered support
jordarkelf - Updated the college for Fraticelli
AnaxXiphos - Created some awesome Catholic hat trait icons that this mod uses

Note: Requires Sons of Abraham. Works with patch v2.0.4
*Note: If you are using a x768 resolution for CK2, the base version of this mod will result in the cardinal window being cut-off. If you experience a cut-off of the cardinal window while using this mod, download the above fix and check the installation instructions if you are unsure as to how to install it. This should make the college of cardinals window compatible with smaller resolutions whilst still having the larger number of cardinals.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Great looking mod!

I also created some clothes for the cardinals, but this is impossible to implement currently as there is no way to differentiate different religious clothing within the same religion, thus until Paradox changes this it cannot be implemented.

There is a solution, but it's very ugly. You'd have to enter 00_religions.txt and remove the entries for clothing under the Catholic religion, then extend the base clothing .dds files and properties file tied to the clothing for the cardinals. In order to encompass all cultures, you'd have to do this for every culture with a unique graphic set.

Or, go into one of the slots for something like "blinded" or "scarred" and put your clothes in there as an overlay, along with rules in the properties file.

Cool idea. More cardinals means it will be less easy to dominate the College of Cardinals for one ruler, which is a good thing.
Does this work for Fraticelli Cardinals as well?

//Edit: no it doesn't. Easy enough to fix though.

Last edited:
A brilliant idea, I like it! One small suggestion wouldn't an uneven number be easier, in order to avoid potential ties.

From the 'Please Include More Cardinals Thread' (I posted it on the 26th of October (2013)):

I found information on 39 Papal conclaves in the period between 1086 and 1447, well I specifically looked at the number of Cardinal Priests, which could participate in the conclave. However I only counted those Cardinal Priests, which held a titular church, so no External Cardinals, which didn't have or returned their titular church.
On average there were 9.87.., which would be rounded as 10, Cardinal Priests, with 3 being the lowest number and 24 the highest number and with a modus of 4.

So how about the following in game, a College of Cardinals, which as a maximum has 21 members; 6 Cardinal Bishops, 10 Cardinal Priests and 5 Cardinal Deacons (being the members of the council of the Pope).

However the Rome province doesn't have all the appropriate Suburbicarian dioceses (nor all at once).

Anyway maybe 21 or even 19 might be better to avoid ties.

Another idea could be to expand the grant of the title of Cardinal to the council members of the Papal household to somehow represent the Roman Curia. Also the Cardinal Deacons originally developed from 7 deacons in the Papal household.

Last edited:
Or, go into one of the slots for something like "blinded" or "scarred" and put your clothes in there as an overlay, along with rules in the properties file.

This is worth considering. Is it possible at all to add clothing for certain traits by adding a slot in a way similar to the traits "scarred" and "blinded" or must these traits be replaced?

Does this work for Fraticelli Cardinals as well?

//Edit: no it doesn't. Easy enough to fix though.

I completely overlooked the Fraticelli :p

Indeed it's easy enough, I will add this to the list of things to add in an update.

A brilliant idea, I like it! One small suggestion wouldn't an uneven number be easier, in order to avoid potential ties.

From the 'Please Include More Cardinals Thread' (I posted it on the 26th of October (2013)):

However the Rome province doesn't have all the appropriate Suburbicarian dioceses (nor all at once).

Anyway maybe 21 or even 19 might be better to avoid ties.

Another idea could be to expand the grant of the title of Cardinal to the council members of the Papal household to somehow represent the Roman Curia. Also the Cardinal Deacons originally developed from 7 deacons in the Papal household.

You know, I don't really know what'll happen in a tie :D

I have thought of this myself, maybe I will update it to have 19 or 21 cardinals.

As for the deacons, I'd like to add the different levels of cardinals but don't see how that'll be possible at the moment. Maybe when I figure out how it can work and be done, I'll work on it.

In the GoT mod theres a religious career event chain that could be worked on i think a decision where you can send your son to a bishops to gain a religious education where after certain time and modifiers the character can gain if unlanded the deacon trait which will give him the deacon minor title then if still unlanded after certain time the character can gain the priest trait which again gives them the priest minor title where by they can be sent where needed to gain the bishop title also in the GoT mod in portrait properties they have outfits given to specific traits so why not if you have priest trait you wear a priests outfit no mitre and like wise for deacon. And if you was going to go further then id add the specific minor titles of the papal court and patriarchal court.

Last edited:
This is worth considering. Is it possible at all to add clothing for certain traits by adding a slot in a way similar to the traits "scarred" and "blinded" or must these traits be replaced?

Technically you can combine the blinded eyes, red dots, and scars into the same frame, which frees up two "strips" for use. Then, you can go into the properties file and make sure to move the rules for the dots/scars/eyes into the same section. Now, you can have two separate strips that can be used for clothing. I'm not going too specific, but I think you get the picture.

As for the deacons, I'd like to add the different levels of cardinals but don't see how that'll be possible at the moment. Maybe when I figure out how it can work and be done, I'll work on it.

You may make papal councillors the soles characters who may receive the cardinal religious title if at last one of the papal councillors isn't a cardinal.
Being both a papal councillor and a cardinal make you cardinal daecon. No need for special titles or traits.

Having an uneven number of cardinals will not make a tie impossible, as there are more than two candidates.

This brings me to a question, can the Papal election end with a new Pope and an Anti-pope? Which woud imply that some didn't follow the guidance of the Holy Ghost.
Also historically during some of the more lengthy elections, it did happen that some Cardinals were called back by God before a Conclave ended.

As a general question, did you look at the total number of Cardinal or at the number of Cardinal present at a Conclave (and previous Papal elections)? Also I take that limited it to the period from 1059-1453. The former is based on the Papal Bull 'In nomine Domini' by Pope Nicholas II in 1059, which reformed the Papal Election; and the latter date is based on the end date of the game.

For instance in the period from 1059-1453 the average number of Cardinals present at an Papal Election later Conclave was almost 18 (17.73...). And to be complete, as creator of the mod wrote, the average of the total number of Cardinals living (but not all present) during a Conclave (Papal Election) is almost 22 (21.8...). Concluding 20 is an optimal number, depending on how the game would handle a tie.

Last edited:
I just encountered a slight issue, while using SWMH, PB and VIET (though those might not cause it) the in game interface seems to be bigger than my screen. I seem to miss the bottom quarter.

Will be adding a small update shortly.

This brings me to a question, can the Papal election end with a new Pope and an Anti-pope? Which woud imply that some didn't follow the guidance of the Holy Ghost.
Also historically during some of the more lengthy elections, it did happen that some Cardinals were called back by God before a Conclave ended.

No, AFAIK that cannot be possible through the current election system. I understand that in reality, cardinal votes had to be unanimous and if no pope were elected, the position would remain vacant, often for an extended period of time. This however, is not modeled in the game and is more of a hard-coded thing.

As a general question, did you look at the total number of Cardinal or at the number of Cardinal present at a Conclave (and previous Papal elections)? Also I take that limited it to the period from 1059-1453. The former is based on the Papal Bull 'In nomine Domini' by Pope Nicholas II in 1059, which reformed the Papal Election; and the latter date is based on the end date of the game.

For instance in the period from 1059-1453 the average number of Cardinals present at an Papal Election later Conclave was almost 18 (17.73...). And to be complete, as creator of the mod wrote, the average of the total number of Cardinals living (but not all present) during a Conclave (Papal Election) is almost 22 (21.8...). Concluding 20 is an optimal number, depending on how the game would handle a tie.

Yes exactly, the number of cardinals since establishment until game-end fluctuated often, but the average is around 20. The only sort of set number was 20 as well as ordained in the Papal Conclave of 1352; although this is late in the game, it gives an idea on the number of cardinals that usually existed in this time period and it had to be abstracted in some way for the game. This small number was exclusive to the Middle Ages as by the Renaissance (EUIV period) the college became really huge to dilute cardinal power.

Does this mod require SoA?

Yes, sorry forgot to mention it, though I thought it was obvious. I'll add it to the original post.

I just encountered a slight issue, while using SWMH, PB and VIET (though those might not cause it) the in game interface seems to be bigger than my screen. I seem to miss the bottom quarter.

Which specific modules are you using? Also can you provide a screenshot?

Technically you can combine the blinded eyes, red dots, and scars into the same frame, which frees up two "strips" for use. Then, you can go into the properties file and make sure to move the rules for the dots/scars/eyes into the same section. Now, you can have two separate strips that can be used for clothing. I'm not going too specific, but I think you get the picture.

Going to see if I can cook something up :)

Last edited:
Released a small update the extends the expanded college for Fraticelli also.

Oh and FYI Carbon, it works fine in 2.0.2 beta.

Yup, just tested it out also.

I already figured that it had to be something like that, since the issue persisted during a test, where I only selected this mod.

Haha, the cardinal bg is quite large so a resolution adjustment maybe necessary. Hope that isn't much of a problem.

Out of curiosity, have you encountered any other problems with PB+SWMH+VIET with this mod? If not, I think it'll make a nice module for that mod combo that I would personally also use.