• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I didn't dug the tutor code, is it somehow linked to the player focus or ambition ?

The tutor code is linked primarily to having wards. But it is also linked at player focus, yes.

Version 1.0.01

- Fixed the conditions to enable the decision "Seek some rest"
- More traits influence the AI into seeking some rest
- Optimized the code for influence of traits on stability
- Balanced the frequency of the stability two main events to give a more uniform distribution across the world

Download HERE

Version 1.0.05

Fixes & Tweaks:

- Balanced the frequency of the stability two main events to give a more uniform distribution across the world

New Content:

- New decision to order the overseer to plan a special mission to increase Stability in a Restless or Rebellious province

Changes:

- Turned the mod fully compatible with any other mod

Version 1.0.07

Fixes & Tweaks:

- Fixed typos in localization file
- Reduced the effect of Rebellious Province on revolt risk
- Protected a bit the AI from the rabble generated by the rebellious provinces
- Spaced more in time the Stability events. For bigger demesnes, not so many, so close.
- Increased the chance of Stability remaining Neutral (no modifier)
- Improved the display of the decision to rest - now it doesn't show up when you are resting
- Defined a base cost for several events

New Content:

Plans for the future:

Develop an event pool that happens to lunatic characters to give more flavour to the whole experience
of being a nutjob. Expect this to be released in the following days.

Hello,

No, I prefer to support and provide it only in one place and that place is the forum.
If you don't know how to manually install mods I can help. Tell me if that is the problem.

RULES OF THE DARK AGES MOD​

GENERAL CONSIDERATIONS

There are some basic definitions that concern this mod that need to be placed here.

1) Stats are defined between GOOD, AVERAGE AND BAD.

GOOD stats come in 4 levels: At 12, at 15, at 18 and at 21
AVERAGE stats stand between 8 and 12.
BAD stats come in 4 levels: Below 8, below 6, below 4 and below 2.

2) Realm stats are defined between GOOD, AVERAGE and BAD.

GOOD realm stats come in 3 levels: At 30, at 35 and at 40
AVERAGE realm stats stand between 25 and 30
BAD realm stats come in three levels: Less than 26, less than 21 and less than 16

3) Provinces can have 5 levels of Stability: Rebellious, Restless, Normal (no modifier), Peaceful and Serene

STABILITY SYSTEM

The stability of each demesne province fluctuates between the levels with increments and decrements of a single level each time. There is one notable exception where the Stability returns to Normal when a special mission there is met with excellent results.

This variation is applied dependent on the Realm Diplomacy.

Character personality traits will influence the variation of Stability in the provinces with events specifically designed for each trait. The traits considered in the ruler are: Cruel, Arbitrary, Wroth, Greedy, Kind, Charitable, Diligent, Just, Deceitful, Gregarious, Brave, Paranoid, Honest and Proud.

Being at War gives the possibility of a Stability hit in the demesne provinces.

A province may become Volatile which means an increased natural chance of decreasing Stability and no chance of increasing it normally. Such condition can be solved naturally and better yet, by assigning the crown focus to the province. Also, the Demesne Overseer has a chance of removing the Volatility from a province, with better stewardship increasing his/her chances.

Once every few years (depending on the Realm Stewardship) a player can increase automatically the Stability of a province subject to crown focus by one level.

A player can also decide to appoint a character with the title Demesne Overseer that helps to reduce the instability of the demesne provinces. Such action success depends on the Overseer Stewardship score and on the relation between the Overseer and his Liege (the player). The rational for that is that his/her effort to please the Liege in a continual effort increases with the relation score.

The Demesne Overseer is picked from three courtiers chosen by the council and presented to the player. The player can refuse all if he thinks they lack the competence necessary to perform the job but can only pick from another three in five years.

The Demesne Overseer is a post for life but the player can fire him/her at any time. One can be recruited five years after the last one was recruited.

The Demesne Overseer can remove the Volatility of a province. Such action success depends on the Overseer Stewardship score and on the relation between the Overseer and his Liege (the player). The rational for that is that his/her effort to please the Liege in a continual effort increases with the relation score.

The Demesne Overseer can also perform missions that range from military, to diplomatic, to subterfuge to cultural/religious. These missions, performed only on Restless or Rebellious provinces, can also increase the level of Stability by one step if successful or returning the province to normal if totally successful.

The ability to perform missions is given by the stewardship of the Demesne Overseer, his competence (diligent/slothful) and his/her ambition (ambitious/content). If his/her profession matches the type of mission it will also gives a bonus to pick a mission of the same type and being Midas Touched (the top level of education in stewardship) also provides a bonus.

How efficient the Demesne Overseer is in performing the specific missions depend more on the specific stats associated with the mission (martial if it is a military mission, for instance) and excellence in the education trait in the area of expertise (for instance, being a Brilliant Strategist in a military mission provides a bonus). Also, competence (diligent/slothful) and to a lesser extent ambitiousness (ambitious/content) provide nice bonuses/penalties to the final result of a mission.

Missions can also have the harshest consequences. It doesn’t hurt the least the Demesne Overseer if he/she has good combat rating and if he/she is a duelist. Those are good skills/traits for survival.

Every five years, if the player has good Stewardship (12) and there are provinces with negative Stability, he can ask the OVerseer to formulate a plan to increase Stability in a Restless or Rebellious province.

RESTING

Once a player gets the Stressed trait, he can chose to retire to the countryside and rest. After some random time he will return without the Stressed trait.

While the player is resting he will suffer -5 at all his/her scores and will be incapacitated. A Regent will be appointed.

While resting, some personal traits modify the amount of rest needed to get rid of the Stressed trait. The country being at war is the worst that can happen as the ruler can’t escape the stress. Being Diligent, Envious, Lustful, Wroth or Duelist is bad, being Slothful, Patient, Hunter, Falconer, Poet or Mystic, is better. But nothing beats being a Gardener or being naturally Content! Some of these traits stack, others are taken as a group.

A player may elect to stop resting at any time. In that case he will reassume the leadership of the country still Stressed.

TUTOR

There is a new lifestyle trait that is the Tutor.

This trait enables an event where the player (or an NPC) may offer to teach the liege a subject of his/her interest. The student needs to have at least 5 in learning to be able to improve his/her stats. The Student can’t be Slow, Imbecile, Incapable, Slothful or Drunk. The Tutor needs to have at least 10 Learning to teach the Liege and needs to avoid the same traits mentioned before for the student. The realm must be at peace.

While Learning the stats of the character are reduced by 2 and in the end there is no certainty that the player increased his/her stat in the field picked. It all depends on luck and on the learning of the character.

The player can also teach himself by picking his/her subjects of interest. He/she needs to have Learning 15 to do so.

Having a scholarship focus, theology focus, having the scholar or tutor trait, and the learning stat all influence the success of the endeavour.

Finally, a character with the Tutor trait may increase the stats of his/her wards. The Stat affected in this case is always the stat related to the education of the Tutor.

SHIPWRECKS

Fleets are at the mercy of storms at sea. Leaders embarked there run the risk of drowning. Men embarked can suffer as little as 6% casualties up to being entirely wiped out. The months of December, January and February pose the most serious risks of storms. Also it is advisalble to be near the coast while navigating around the world.

These rules are by no means exhaustive and once doubts start to be posted I'll complete them with the answers.

Just a note on the Sea event it should read "Loss of Life" not "Loss of Live"

Currently testing your mod with HIP. Seems to work fine.

Nothing in it can conflict with HIP.

If you have any sugestions, just tell me.

Version 1.0.08 DOWNLOAD HERE

Fixes & Tweaks:

- Adapted the Seek Some Rest decision to the Lunatic event pool
- Fixed typos in localization file
- Gaining Tutor trait now dependent on Scholarship and Theology focus (was only able to do so if the character had wards)
- Increased the time for the Knowledge is Power event

New Content:

- New event pool for Lunatic characters

LUNATIC EVENTS

Lunacy now means a mental condition with effects given along gameplay. The player can suffer from mild or serious mental conditions that affect the effects created and their frequency. A player will have phases of better judgement (only the lunatic trait will apply) and phases of total insanity (where a new trait will make its debut). During the phases of total insanity many new events might happen. For instance, given the seriousness of the situation and the right - or wrong - personality traits, one can spread the terror among the court!

If you have any sugestions, just tell me.

Firstly would you consider changing the Seek Some Rest decision so that it would work like the pilgrimage system where you get in a regency but don't lose your ambition/focus.

Secondly I'm fine with the way your mod handles women education mostly. Not sure if it's possible as I don't know much about modding but could you make it so that the ones created by events retain their military education ? (e.g : Jeanne D'Arc for the French, Zoe for the Byzantines, etc.) Maybe with a lesser education level than in vanilla.

Also can I use your update with an ongoing save ?

Last edited:
Firstly would you consider changing the Seek Some Rest decision so that it would work like the pilgrimage system where you get in a regency but don't lose your ambition/focus.

Yes, I don't have problems wirth that from a design point of view. I need to know how to do it, however.
Secondly I'm fine with the way your mod handles women education mostly. Not sure if it's possible as I don't know much about modding but could you make it so that the ones created by events retain their military education ? (e.g : Jeanne D'Arc for the French, Zoe for the Byzantines, etc.) Maybe with a lesser education level than in vanilla.

Hummm... that is something I did not foresaw. You are right that some women absolutely should have military education. Other than editing Paradox files I think it's not possible to do that and I am not very fond of editing Paradox files for compatibility concerns... Can you give me a list of women that should have a military trait? I'll try to address this.

Also can I use your update with an ongoing save ?

Yes, you can use an ongoing save.

Can you give me some feedback on the way the stability levels flow in your demesne? Are you happy with it all? To manage it, it should be a challenge but not an unsurmountable one. Meaning, not all provinces at Serene level and not all your provinces permanently rebelling. Can you give me your input? And please, tell me your stewardship.

Yes, I don't have problems wirth that from a design point of view. I need to know how to do it, however.
You'd need to trait with "pilgrimage = yes" caracteristic.
May concern is that the icon displayed on the portrait will be the pilgrimage one.
"incapacitating = yes" is another possibility, but is maybe less fitty.

You'd need to trait with "pilgrimage = yes" caracteristic.
May concern is that the icon displayed on the portrait will be the pilgrimage one.
"incapacitating = yes" is another possibility, but is maybe less fitty.

Thank you Arko. Since you are over there let me pick your brain:

Do you know if there is any define that reduces by a certain amount the income of all the holdings? This is not to introduce in the mod. It's just for my own version of Dark Ages as I feel there is too much money around the game...

I know I can do it easily with a province modifier that is hidden inside every province in the game decreasing by some % the taxes of the province but if something is already implemented in the defines for that effects it feels more elegant to edit there...

Thx!

Thank you Arko. Since you are over there let me pick your brain:

Do you know if there is any define that reduces by a certain amount the income of all the holdings? This is not to introduce in the mod. It's just for my own version of Dark Ages as I feel there is too much money around the game...

I know I can do it easily with a province modifier that is hidden inside every province in the game decreasing by some % the taxes of the province but if something is already implemented in the defines for that effects it feels more elegant to edit there...

Thx!
Take a look at comon/static_modifiers.txt
I don't think there is a defines for that.
I think you can get do it through religion, but the impact on numbers won't be explained in the tooltips, so it can be weird.

Edit: tech may be a possibility.

Take a look at comon/static_modifiers.txt
I don't think there is a defines for that.
I think you can get do it through religion, but the impact on numbers won't be explained in the tooltips, so it can be weird.

Edit: tech may be a possibility.

Ok, thx!

Implemented now. Next release will have it.

Can you give me a list of women that should have a military trait? I'll try to address this.

I did a bit a bit of research, so far, except for Jeanne d'Arc Event (event Soa.5350, which creates Jeanne d'Arc for the French culture group and randomly named lady warrior for other christians) I've found a few historical characters that should fit.

1/ Although up to debate Mathilda of Tuscany (or Matilde di Canossa in Italian) might have received some military education, then again in the few test run I just did (with HIP) she's always started as a pretty good diplomat with an average military stat (at least 8). So probably no need to change anything for her.
2/ Sikelgaita (or Sichelgaita), daughter of Guaimar IV Prince of Salerno. She's married to Robert Guiscard, Duke of Apulia from 1058 to his death. While she probably wasn't a combatant she definitely accompanied her husband in his military campaigns and was close to the action. Most likely as some sort of tactician. (although one needs to have adequate laws to actually use her as a commander/marshal I believe)
3/ Joanna of Flanders (Jeanne de Flandre in french - nicknamed Jeanne La Flame) from the House of Dampierre, wife of John of Montfort (in Breton Yann Moñforzh, in french Jean de Montfort, he became count of Montfort-l'Amaury in 1322 and Duke of Britanny in 1341, well technically there was a war of succession) from 1329 to his death (1345). At first I thought they weren't ingame but as I checked I found the both of them in the court of the Duke of Britanny as Jean Montfort and Jeanne de Dampierre. During the War of Breton Succession she showed great military skills. I guess they were disregarded as historically they were trully important to the end of ck2's "era" and either way her stats seem to be random.

If I find more I'll let you know.
Also considering the shield maidens you probably should have a system so that they're more likely to keep their military education if they have a high military stat. Something along the line of "is Germanic and has military stat > 16" (Not sure how it would actually look in code)

Can you give me some feedback on the way the stability levels flow in your demesne? Are you happy with it all? To manage it, it should be a challenge but not an unsurmountable one. Meaning, not all provinces at Serene level and not all your provinces permanently rebelling. Can you give me your input? And please, tell me your stewardship.

Edit :
In 1213, that's probably the point where I had the most trouble with the province stability as I had conquered Thrace a little more than 2 years before and as I abused the loans I pretty much was bankrupt a few years. Also There were 2 epidemics in the area so I guess it didn't help. Also the previous ruler of Thrace had a fairly bad stewardship (8), as such when I conquered it Constantinople was basically a thieving den. And as my ruler (Alexios Komnenos) wasn't that good of a steward (12 at that point, at the end of his life, without the focus he had 7) it took a few years to get back things back in "order" (probably more than a decade) at one point I had a few peasant rebellions (2 or 3) one after the other (with a few months between each other). While the newly conquered land the situation was dire, in the starting area things fared better as 2 out of 3 counties were Serene and the other Volatile. So yeah that was definitely challenging.

I'll jump to 1247 with the current Basileus, Manuel Komnenos, His stewardship is better (17), the situation is far better than with his father. He doesn't have a Desmesne Overseer though (the decision is in cooldown as I didn't employ anyone). Although I've just started a war with Rûm so I suspect the war might take its toll. I'll see how it goes after the war has been dealt with.

So all in all I'm pretty much satisfied with it as it gives a fair bit of challenge.

Last edited:
I played with it for a while, and honestly don't know what sort of discussion you guys have been having, so here's my first impression and do with that what you want :)

The stability events are lovely, but they feel a bit random. I had a Stewardship 22 Midas Touched ruler, yet still provinces decreased in stability for reasons "outside my control". It feels like stewardship doesn't really matter.

I'm also at a loss what to do about it? I'm a vassal duke, I haven't got a crown focus. It feels like I'm just waiting for the decision to remove it to come up again, for the most part. The random councillor getting killed also feels quite harsh.

Furthermore, I'd love to be able to find out who exactly is funding rebels in my realm. As well as how I could do that to my enemies :)

I like the tomboy event I got when my duchess grew up. Hope there's more like that, so there's some repercussions from being a woman warrior in a Christian nation :) I trust that one takes into account religion? An equal or matriarchal pagan creed should obviously not have that - perhaps instead a gender-reversed one for the boys.

I got the tutor trait, but did not notice anything new afterwards? I don't think I've gotten any new events with my wards while I had it?