• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Blood Royal

General
37 Badges
Jun 1, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Introducing: The Forgotten Realms mod for D&D

We have (well, ahem, mostly others lately…) been hard at work for the last few months to bring to life the Forgotten Realms in CK2. Many have tried, many have failed, but I do believe that our excellent team will succeed! We’ve got a map. We’ve got portraits. We’ve got character classes. We’ve got title histories. We’ve got the races. We’ve got the religions. We've got events. We’ve got IT - we’ve got a playable build.

Stay tuned for future updates in the form of dev diaries where we will explain what we’ve each been working on, but without further delay, let me first introduce the team!

The project started with myself, Zarathustra_the and Shadeoes getting together (we knew each other from the Geheimnisnacht/Warhammer mod) and figuring that we could actually get this project up and running since we’re all Forgotten Realms fans and together we had the skills required:

(in alphabetical order)

Blood Royal: A jack-of-all-trades modder who did a lot of work in getting the Middle Earth mod, Birthright and Geheimnisnacht to a release state asap.

Shadeos: One of the best if not THE best map modders around.

Zarathustra_the: Someone who walks the fine line between genius and insanity when it comes to coding, but definitely one of the best scripters around. We’ve decided to let him loose and take on the character class system, duel system, and magic system for this mod, among others!

Then we were fortunate enough to be joined by NeutronDecay, Evilcatinthehat, and ts4, who’ve turned out to be excellent and productive modders as well.

Main features for will include:

-A custom map of Faerun

-Lots of D&D character classes, complete with a levelling and xp system, a duel engine and a magic engine

-An interactive adventuring system where you can risk your life and go seek out glory and riches across the breadth of Faerun

-All the major Forgotten Realms races as playable, others as province modifiers for a custom-built “monster system” (kind of like wilderness provinces, just worse!)

-A bookmark set in 1360, right after the Time of Troubles and at the start of the Bhaalspawn period famous from Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate 2

-Custom fantasy portraits (courtesy of Silfae and a few from Lonhaldar as well)

-Random historical events of great significance, no playthrough will be the same!

-Famous characters from the Realms with custom (static) portraits

-And much, much more (eventually!)

Here are some screenshots:

how to upload photo to forum

Keep an eye out for future dev diaries, as we go into more detail on the direction we’re going! For now, here's a fully playable 0.1 Alpha early-release, where you can pretty much play Vanilla CK2 in a Faerun sandbox setting while we work on future releases with more features!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...orgotten-realms.1042010/page-11#post-23888130

Last edited:
While I am happy to hear of your progress and will definitely try the mod, I've a question: why did you stick to only the Faerun, instead of doing all the Toril ? Is it the lack of lore info about all Toril (I've no idea of this myself, my knowledge of this DnD setting is pretty limited) ?

Mechanics really. Smaller map means better performance.

Here's the first dev diary: an introduction to the lore.

Well met, wanderers!

The year is 1360 DR. A time of great upheaval is beginning for the lands of Faerûn. Less than two years ago, the gods themselves walked the earth, bidden to prove themselves by the mysterious overpower Ao. Old gods died, and new ones rose. Now, as the faithful contend to see whether the new gods will prosper, mortal forces are stirring which threaten to plunge the lands into chaos.

In the far north, the magical wards around the ruins of Ascalhorn have failed, and the demonic elfkin who have raised Hellgate Keep in its stead are ready to extend their grasp. In the distant east, the Tuigan riders of Yamun Khahan have made peace with the Shou emperor and are turning westward with an eye to conquest. In the utter south, merchants from glittering Zakhara must contend with nations ruled by dark-elves and yak-men if they are to reach the prosperous heartlands. Away to the west, in fabled Evermeet, elven eyes see the human kingdoms of the mainland totter, and wonder if the time has come to reverse the age-old Retreat. And in the Heartlands, the spawn of a fallen god awaken to their fatal legacy.

Waterdeep, Cormyr, Tethyr and many other great realms of Faerûn stand on a sword's edge. Will your hand on the reins of power restore their greatness? Or will you strike from below to seize control for some other house or nation? To be sure, there are many great wizards and mighty warlords in the Realms. Will you risk adventuring become one of them yourself? Or can you exploit their perilous stalemate to extend your house's influence by other means? Much of the wilderness of Faerûn lies in the hands of savage monsters - a sufficiently enterprising local lord might make a great name for himself by reclaiming it for humanity - or for dwarves, elves, or orcs, to name but three of the more settled species to dwell here.

While I am happy to hear of your progress and will definitely try the mod, I've a question: why did you stick to only the Faerun, instead of doing all the Toril ? Is it the lack of lore info about all Toril (I've no idea of this myself, my knowledge of this DnD setting is pretty limited) ?
Further to what's been said about performance, which has been a big consideration in determining the size of the map, there are also pragmatic lore reasons for using the particular area we've got. Going further west would mean introducing Maztica, which has a very different governmental setup, and is mainly known for its colonial period which is rather more the sort of thing that EU4 handles. Going east would mean Shou Lung, which is a huge bureaucratic empire with relatively scant canon details. Going south would give us more of Zakhara, which is great, but comparatively narrow; that would be a lot of map for relatively few provinces - the rest would be ocean or desert. And going south and east would give us Malatra, arguably the most under-detailed part of the main continent.

However, we are considering using Jade Dragon's facility for off-map powers to provide a presence for the Shou Emperor, the Grand Caliph in Huzuz, and possibly the Maztican realm of Nexal.

nd

This looks very very interesting! D&D and the Middle Earth project are my 2 favorite mods of CK2 and I expect this one to become by third most beloved mod ever!

My only concern looking at that map is the performance, there look to be so many provinces.

My only concern looking at that map is the performance, there look to be so many provinces.
There are currently around 1240 provinces, with the map fully painted, as against vanilla's current 1463 and rising. I don't think we're likely to reach the current vanilla total, even if I do lean on Shadeos to provide a few more province splits to satisfy my hunger for canon.

nd

Last edited:
Further, you have many of my more domineering traits coming out with respect to event bloat and the like, so do not worry too much about performance, the damned thing zips a long!

Am I in this mod?
1065162-readers_drizzt_det01.jpg

Oh, this is too cool!