[Mod] Cybrxkhan’s Assortment of Namelists for Stellaris - Fantasy, Real-World Inspired, & More!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Found a name that isn't loading properly, causing any string containing it (including empire names and tooltips) to not load.

Traced it to this entry in mammalian_new.txt. Changing the "í" character seemed to fix it.

Code:
    mithorn = {
        name = Míthornese
        plural = Míthornese
        home_planet = Míthorn
        home_system = "Míthorn Var"
        name_list = "MAM1"
    }

I think you might've solved that darn bug that had been eluding me for at least a year! I even traced it to mammalian_new.txt but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong. Seems like that character can't be read properly or something like that. Thanks for figuring it out! Will definitely be fixed in the next update.

Just a small update, includes two new namelists. I am going to be more focused on CKII modding atm, but I’ll still maintain my Stellaris mods as needed, so you guys don’t need to worry about that. :)

The changelog:

• Added 2 new namelists: Burushaski (Real), Nabatean (Markov)
  • Fixed empty name bug
Manual upload is available on the first post as usual.

Enjoy as always!

Hi, any chance of a namelist based around the seraphim from supreme commander? Everything sounds so smooth and nice in their language. There isn't many character names to go off of unfortunately, but there is plenty of words.

New version up for Wolfe/Ancient Relics. Didn't take as long as I'd've thought. I even squeezed in one new namelist. Let me know if there's any issues.

The changelog:

• Updated to Wolfe/Ancient Relics
  • Added 1 new namelist: Luwian (Markov)

Enjoy as always!

Hi, any chance of a namelist based around the seraphim from supreme commander? Everything sounds so smooth and nice in their language. There isn't many character names to go off of unfortunately, but there is plenty of words.

Sorry for late reply, didn't see this. I can add it to my to-do list.

Last edited:
Do the AI Empires also use the mod-namelists?

Yup. If you look in some of the screenshots although they are a little out of date, you can see examples of AI empires using them. Do note that most of the "realistic" name lists (i.e. actual names from real life cultures, and not merely made up ones inspired by them) won't be used by the AI for obvious reasons.

Man, they really need to let you use custom namelists in Ironman for achievements

Unfortunately I don't see that as happening anytime soon, as adding in namelists requires a lot of code. Granted a lot of that code is just the names themselves, but anything that has more than a miniscule amount of code is almost guaranteed to be not achievement compatible. Hopefully in the future the devs will change it so achievements are allowed with mods, personally I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be given this is mainly a single player game anyways.

Yup. If you look in some of the screenshots although they are a little out of date, you can see examples of AI empires using them. Do note that most of the "realistic" name lists (i.e. actual names from real life cultures, and not merely made up ones inspired by them) won't be used by the AI for obvious reasons.

Thx for the quick answer, can't wait to use your mod:D

Unfortunately I don't see that as happening anytime soon, as adding in namelists requires a lot of code. Granted a lot of that code is just the names themselves, but anything that has more than a miniscule amount of code is almost guaranteed to be not achievement compatible. Hopefully in the future the devs will change it so achievements are allowed with mods, personally I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be given this is mainly a single player game anyways.

I understand them not allowing achievements with game-changing mods, as that would allow many to be absurdly easy to get (ex: Own 5 other species pops as cyborg, just make mod to spawn in like that and you insta-achieve it). However no Empire namelists are tied to achievements so thus making a mod for it is purely cosmetic, or at least should be. I feel the same way with empire ship styles, those are cosmetic and shouldn't alter gameplay based on the design so achievements should be enabled for it. I want to play my game as vanilla as possible, I don't need my star destroyer being any more OP than any other style destroyers already are.

For now I will just have to enjoy your mod on non-achievement runs sadly. Thank you for all your work.

Fleshing out my own star names for my own galaxy mod, I decided to run through and check for duplicates, since I verified this can cause duplicates to show up in the star list.

Your mod has seven names that conflict with names in Stellaris's main list:

Code:
      2 Bera
      2 Celaeno
      2 Gor
      2 Lando
      2 Mura
      2 Nath
      2 Orass

Your mod has 26 names that conflict with itself in its own main list:

Code:
      2 Ace
      2 Aketa
      2 Cacot
      2 Cal
      2 Fur
      2 Gel
      2 Gor
      2 Hatetia
      2 Hin
      2 Hollae
      2 Ida
      2 Ikro
      2 Lane
      2 Lawic
      2 Lesios
      2 Melia
      2 Min
      2 Nidur
      2 Nocri
      2 Saba
      2 Sayaos
      2 Slim
      2 Turuios
      2 Umytia
      2 Voraos
      2 Zoti

And a further 22 in its species homesystem lists:

Code:
      2 Arendu
      2 Batmahiye
      2 Coldir
      2 Dianerise
      2 Driful
      2 Ekaloeon
      2 Elurh
      2 Hasuhr
      2 "House of Troubles"
      2 Hucurang
      2 Igake
      2 Isangseong
      2 Jumalaisen
      2 Kegeb
      2 Quincings
      2 Redru
      2 Ro'rur'mo
      2 Sabiena
      2 Sorille
      2 Urina
      2 Vesryon
      2 Yixiang

@Ariphaos Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at those for the next update.

I just discover this mod and have to try it!

There are two names that are not languages, I think:

Space Malian
The major language in Mali is Bambara, or as it's fantasy, perhaps even Space Mandika.

Space Sioux
There are two major languages: Lakota and Dakota, or as it's fantasy, perhaps even Space Siouan

New version up for 2.4/Lee, even added in a few goodies this time.

The changelog:

• Updated to 2.4/Lee
  • Added 3 namelists: Fantasy 11 (Fantasy), Gallic (Markov), Thai (Markov)
  • Added Fulani, Quechua, and Cambodian names to CANS’ human namelists
  • Added a few new blackhole and nebula names
  • Fixed some duplicated names in the star list

Enjoy as always!

I just discover this mod and have to try it!

There are two names that are not languages, I think:

Space Malian
The major language in Mali is Bambara, or as it's fantasy, perhaps even Space Mandika.

Space Sioux
There are two major languages: Lakota and Dakota, or as it's fantasy, perhaps even Space Siouan

I'm aware of the weirdness, but these were based off of the name generator found here: http://donjon.bin.sh/name/

So I kept their names. For me since it's fantasy I'm okay with it not being entirely accurate.

I feel so dumb, I enabled it in the mod window but not seeing the names in the namelist?

I made an error with the new format they introduced with 2.4/Lee - I've uploaded the hotfix to Steam. It does not appear to affect the manual installation of the game.

New version up for 2.5/Shelley, including six new namelists.

Changelog:
  • Updated to 2.5/Shelley
  • Added 6 namelists: Dwarf (Warhammer), Elvish (Warhammer), Empire (Warhammer), Marathi (Markov), Paleo-Iberian (Markov), Songhai (Markov)

Great mod! Though the error log shows about 1750 lines of errors like these:
Code:
[persistent.cpp:33]: Error: "Malformed token: Gilzunut Prime

home_system = Gilzunut

name_list = , near line: 51
" in file: "common/species_names/PLANT5.txt" near line: 51
[16:55:52][persistent.cpp:33]: Error: "Unexpected token: PLANT5, near line: 58
" in file: "common/species_names/PLANT5.txt" near line: 58

Is anyone else seeing these?

New update up including some bugfixes. This will probably be the last update before Federations comes out, barring some major bugs.

Changelog:

• Added new namelist: Yoruba (Markov)
  • Added new species name for randomly spawned AI Empires using the vanilla Lithoid namelists
  • Fixed Irish women having Georgian first names in human namelists (no idea how that escaped me for these past couple years)
  • Fixed some typos in the code (actually just a few missed quotation marks, of all things) that may have caused a number of bugs

Great mod! Though the error log shows about 1750 lines of errors like these:
Code:
[persistent.cpp:33]: Error: "Malformed token: Gilzunut Prime

home_system = Gilzunut

name_list = , near line: 51
" in file: "common/species_names/PLANT5.txt" near line: 51
[16:55:52][persistent.cpp:33]: Error: "Unexpected token: PLANT5, near line: 58
" in file: "common/species_names/PLANT5.txt" near line: 58

Is anyone else seeing these?

Apologies for late response but thank you for reporting that, the bugs should all be fixed in the current version - it appears I forgot a few quotation marks in the code. This is probably also the reason behind some instances of blank empires showing up in-game.

I don't know where you check those errors, @M@ni@c. But this mod is not working for me neither....new namelist don't show in-game.

Apologies for the late response, but I have not encountered any issues with the current version - I know a while back there was some huge issues with the launcher, hopefully those are all smoothed out.