[Mod] Cybrxkhan’s Assortment of Namelists for Stellaris - Fantasy, Real-World Inspired, & More!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cool!

Btw, since you've done a lot of namelists, is there any way to set it up so that when a name is generated, a leader has three parts to their name: a first name, a family name, and then a clan name.

I posted this question on the Quick Questions thread and someone answered with this:

While this is indeed useful, I have it set up so that the leader's clan name is followed by d', since in that species's language, d' means 'of'.

I'm not sure if you've done anything like this before and I apologize for asking this in your thread, but I was just seeing if you've figured a way to resolve this problem while you were doing your namelists.

So generally if you want a name that is more than two words, you'll need to use quotation marks. It's probably easier to see if you look at the code yourself for examples, so in the files for CANS, look for one of the following namelists and scroll down to the section for names: Apostrophe 4, Diacritics 2, Diacritics 3, Fantasy 1, Fantasy 2, Fantasy 3, Fantasy 6, Abstract 2, Nord, and Halo Forerunner. There's a few mroe that could work but those will probably work for now. You will notice that in those namelists, some elements are written with quotation marks between them. You will either have to determine whether you want the first name or last name part to have multiple words. If you have repeating elements in the name akin to the German von, you will have to include those repeatedly, unfortunately.

Depending on how granular the namelists can get (esp. ship types), you could go with companies (ex. Nanotrasen, Weyland-Yutani, Standard Oil), business concepts (Initial Public Offering, Aggressive Buyout, Customer Relations), notable billionaires/capitalists (Rockefeller, Krupp). Here, fortune 500 list.

Ah! That is a good idea, I see what you mean. Very cyberpunk-y. I'll keep that in mind.

So generally if you want a name that is more than two words, you'll need to use quotation marks. It's probably easier to see if you look at the code yourself for examples, so in the files for CANS, look for one of the following namelists and scroll down to the section for names: Apostrophe 4, Diacritics 2, Diacritics 3, Fantasy 1, Fantasy 2, Fantasy 3, Fantasy 6, Abstract 2, Nord, and Halo Forerunner. There's a few mroe that could work but those will probably work for now. You will notice that in those namelists, some elements are written with quotation marks between them. You will either have to determine whether you want the first name or last name part to have multiple words. If you have repeating elements in the name akin to the German von, you will have to include those repeatedly, unfortunately.

Ah! That is a good idea, I see what you mean. Very cyberpunk-y. I'll keep that in mind.

Hm....Is that how you get around the problem with the Heir naming bug? I had it where my ruler starts out with something similar to von or de, and when the heir is announced, it drops that part.

So what you're saying to do this (I'm posting via my phone so I can't look at those examples): john "von" Smith?

Hm....Is that how you get around the problem with the Heir naming bug? I had it where my ruler starts out with something similar to von or de, and when the heir is announced, it drops that part.

So what you're saying to do this (I'm posting via my phone so I can't look at those examples): john "von" Smith?

Basically you'd have "John von" Smith, or John "von Smith". In the case of the former, the game code would read "John von" as the first name and Smith as the last name, whereas in the latter, it interprets John as the first name and "von Smith" as the last name. So if you're going with the latter, for instance, the code would look like the following:

Code:
        default = {
            # A complete name
            full_names = {
            }

# Always combined with a second name
            first_names = {                                           
                John
            }

# Always combined with a first name
            second_names = {
                "von Smith"
            }

regnal_first_names = {
            }

regnal_second_names = {
            }
        }

Might still be a bug with the way heirs are named, though, haven't used a namelist that utilizes this sort of schema in a while for my own games so I forgot.

Basically you'd have "John von" Smith, or John "von Smith". In the case of the former, the game code would read "John von" as the first name and Smith as the last name, whereas in the latter, it interprets John as the first name and "von Smith" as the last name. So if you're going with the latter, for instance, the code would look like the following:

Code:
        default = {
            # A complete name
            full_names = {
            }

# Always combined with a second name
            first_names = {                                          
                John
            }

# Always combined with a first name
            second_names = {
                "von Smith"
            }

regnal_first_names = {
            }

regnal_second_names = {
            }
        }

Might still be a bug with the way heirs are named, though, haven't used a namelist that utilizes this sort of schema in a while for my own games so I forgot.

This is extremely helpful! Thank you!

VERSION 1.5.0 IS UP - DOWNLOAD ON THE STEAM WORKSHOP HERE!

New version up, updated to Adams/1.6 and all that. As a side note, for those of you who like to check on error logs, it seems that my previous fix with the error log saying some names are too long no longer works, it appears that Banks/Adams changed the way this works, I will look into it later when I have more time.

Changelog for Version 1.5.0:

• Updated to Adams/1.6 Patch
  • Added 5 new namelists: Abstract 3, Elvish (Pathfinder), Kobold (Fantasy), Kobold 2 (Pathfinder), Númenor (LotR)
  • Added Telugu and Igbo names to CANS’ human namelists

VERSION 1.5.0 IS UP - DOWNLOAD ON THE STEAM WORKSHOP HERE!

New version up, updated to Adams/1.6 and all that. As a side note, for those of you who like to check on error logs, it seems that my previous fix with the error log saying some names are too long no longer works, it appears that Banks/Adams changed the way this works, I will look into it later when I have more time.

Changelog for Version 1.5.0:

• Updated to Adams/1.6 Patch
  • Added 5 new namelists: Abstract 3, Elvish (Pathfinder), Kobold (Fantasy), Kobold 2 (Pathfinder), Númenor (LotR)
  • Added Telugu and Igbo names to CANS’ human namelists

Thanks. Hope you can figure out what 1.6 broke and fix it.

VERSION 1.5.1 IS UP - DOWNLOAD ON THE STEAM WORKSHOP HERE!

New version also up for vanilla 1.6.1's hotfix that came out earlier today, though the previous version of CANS should've worked fine with it. To improve variety with spawnable empires, I’ve also added a bunch of names to the list of potential randomly generated AI Empires that have more generic/abstract planet and star names (i.e. “Valley of the Wind,” “Heaven’s Flame,” “Mansion of Baklavassia,” etc.). I’ve focused on adding these mainly to namelists that were previously underutilized (had a lower chance of spawning), though overall they should not appear too frequently. I hope they will provide some interesting procedurally generated flavor for your new games.

For the next update, I am considering adding in new words that can be used in the randomly generated faction names, though I’m on the fence about this because it will likely require me meddling with vanilla files.

Manual upload available in first post as usual.

Changelog for Version 1.5.1:

• Added 3 new namelists: Ewoks (Star Wars), Italian 2 (Handmade), Romanian (Handmade)
  • Added several generic/abstract spawnable Empire names to existing namelists for more variety
  • Added Romanian and Bulgarian names to CANS’ human namelists

Ewok namelist? Well, if there is an Ewok portrait set then I can get a game involving them in character if I am in the mood to. And by in character, I mean Fanatic Purifiers, out to wipe out (and eat) all non-Ewok forms of life.

Just curious here @cybrxkhan, but are willing to critique other people's namelists?

Just curious.

Also how about some more Pathfinder namelists? Didn't know you played Pathfinder.

I'm happy to critique though I'm not sure what there is to critique lol since other than checking the code for typos, unlike an event chain or a new gameplay feature where I can critique, say, the balance or the quality of the writing, namelists are relatively straightforward.

Anyways I don't play Pathfinder, though I know what it is. Since I did a kobold namelist, the random name generator website I used happened to have a generic kobold name generator as well as a pathfinder kobold name generator, so the more the merrier, right? Since the site has several name generators based on Pathfinder names, expect to see more in the future too. It's also where I got most of my names for other media-based namelists.

Ewok namelist? Well, if there is an Ewok portrait set then I can get a game involving them in character if I am in the mood to. And by in character, I mean Fanatic Purifiers, out to wipe out (and eat) all non-Ewok forms of life.

I believe there might be a one available on the workshop independently of the Star Wars mod (and/or in a compilation mod of different portraits, though I forgot the name of it), but it might be static. I've integrated some of the animated star wars portraits into my personal mod and have them spawn like normal portraits.

VERSION 1.5.2 IS UP - DOWNLOAD ON THE STEAM WORKSHOP HERE!

We’ve now officially reached 150 namelists in the mod! To celebrate, I’ve added in a TES compilation namelist, i.e. the namelists of the 10 major TES races into one, for all your TES roleplaying needs. Feel free to check out my new Skyrim-themed update for the More Personalities mod that goes along nicely with this!

Additionally, the description now has a list of the cultures/nationalities added in both of vanilla’s UNE and CM namelists, as well as CANS’ new human namelist that combines the two. Dunno why I didn't do that before but there you go.

Changelog for Version 1.5.2:

• Added 2 new namelists: Breton (TES), Elder Scrolls (TES compilation of all relevant races’ namelists)
  • Added Moroccan names to CANS’ human namelists
  • Removed Sovngarde as a potential Altmer planet name (no idea how that ended up there)
  • Reduced the number of Dunmer, Khajiit, and Nord regnal names in order to increase the chances they’d repeat
  • Fixed names in namelists being too long (at last -_-)

VERSION 1.5.3 IS UP - DOWNLOAD ON THE STEAM WORKSHOP HERE!

New update, nothing special. Please enjoy as always!

Changelog for Version 1.5.3
  • Added 5 new namelists: Gnome (Fantasy), Gnome (Pathfinder), Gungan (Star Wars), Robotic 1 (Fantasy), Turkish (Handmade)
  • Asian-American namelist now also includes names from other Asian namelists

VERSION 1.5.4 IS UP - DOWNLOAD ON THE STEAM WORKSHOP HERE!

This is an update to Bradbury/1.7.X. So... not much else to say lol. Also just realized I'm at more than 150 namelists though (which makes me really wish there was a nicer way to organize the namelists in the UI, atm it's a kinda tedious scrolling up and down in the faction creator screen), hard to believe I only started out with only 16 namelists, now I barely see the vanilla ones. Time flies by so quickly as the cliche goes.

Changelog for Version 1.5.4
  • Updated to Bradbury/1.7.X
  • Added 2 new namelists: Dwarven (Fantasy), Dwarven (LotR)

NOTE TO ANYONE WHO DOWNLOADED VERSION 1.5.4 YESTERDAY

Uploaded a new version to update the mod back to vanilla patch 1.6.X, given the devs reverted back to that version. Shouldn't be that big an issue given none of the code changes are relevant to my mod, but just a heads up in case anyone's OCD about seeing the red exclamation mark in the launcher. I've also updated the manual upload accordingly.

VERSION 1.6.0 IS UP - DOWNLOAD ON THE STEAM WORKSHOP HERE!

This is a quick update to the newest patch mainly for compatibility; I’ve done minimum testing to ensure it doesn’t cause your game to blow up. Please note that you may see less robot empires than in vanilla as CANS adds in so many species names for organics that the proportion of robot empire names to organic empire names is much less than in vanilla (this does not affect human-made empires from appearing of course). Another update will come within the next week to iron out this issue as well as any other issues with adapting to the new features of Capek/1.8.0, such as new random robot empire names. I haven’t played much Stellaris in the past few months so I’ve been kinda away, so thanks all for your patience!

Changelog for Version 1.6.0
  • Updated to Capek/1.8.0
  • Added 3 new namelists: American (Handmade), Diacritics 5 (Handmade), Dwarven (Pathfinder)
  • Added Akan, Burmese, and Lithuanian names to CANS’ human namelists
  • Added Burmese names to Asian-American namelist
  • Cut down the number of potential regnal names for the following namelists in order to increase the chances of repeats: Apostrophe 1, Apostrophe 2, Apostrophe 3, Aztec, Bantu, Beothuk (Real), Chinese 1, Chinese 2, Egyptian 1, Fantasy 1, Fantasy 2, Fantasy 3, French, German, Goblin 1, Goblin 2, Greek 1, Hawaiian, Hunnic, Inca, Indian, Inuit, Italian 1, Mongol (Handmade), Norse, Persian, Roman 1, Sioux, Slavic, Sumerian, Tocharian (Real)
  • Fixed missing Robotic and Android Defensive army names for most namelists

The only mod I'm already missing in 1.8. Thanks for all the work on this!

You're welcome!

"ironman compatible (I don’t think it is achievement compatible however)" <-- that defiles the whole purpose of being ironman compatible :p

Ironman and achievements are two separate things - you can play ironman but not get achievements - so I want to make that clear to people who might be confused (unless if PI changed how it works).

VERSION 1.6.1 IS UP - DOWNLOAD ON THE STEAM WORKSHOP HERE!

Hello everyone, just another quick update related to the new patch/DLC. Main focus with this update is a number of new potential random species names for AI machine empires. Nothing big, but hope you all enjoy as usual!

Changelog for Version 1.6.1

• Added new namelist: Dutch (Handmade)
  • Added many new spawnable Empire names to vanilla’s machine namelists for more variety
  • Added new army names for the Ethiopian 1 namelist so they don’t use Zulu-inspired ones now
  • Machine Empires can now spawn with CANS’ Robot 1 namelist

Anyways, glad to see a new update. Hope life is going fine for you.