• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For the bretons may I suggest the Russian clothes as it looks great combined with the Celtic headgears.
Hmm, while such configuration may indeed look great and contribute to variety, I try to maintain consistency. In this case, I am hesitant to implant a clothing set from the eastern end of Eastern Europe into the western end of Western Europe just for the sake of variety. Also, the significant amount of fur that the Russian clothing sets come with don't seem quite fitting to the Breton portrait set IMO.

I was wondering if there could be an option for changing Normans etc to have western faces. Currently I am editing the files myself but I don't believe i'm the only one who thinks that the Norse portraits look... interesting... It's not your fault, entirely blame Paradox for this, if anything just an option for Normans would be top. Good old Willy Conker looked a tad better when he wasn't a mutant ice monkey.

I was wondering if there could be an option for changing Normans etc to have western faces. Currently I am editing the files myself but I don't believe i'm the only one who thinks that the Norse portraits look... interesting... It's not your fault, entirely blame Paradox for this, if anything just an option for Normans would be top. Good old Willy Conker looked a tad better when he wasn't a mutant ice monkey.
This is a slightly difficult issue to handle. :confused: I'm sure you are aware that there is an installation option to keep vanilla Western and Muslim faces, which leaves you with vanilla Western and Muslim faces for all portrait sets that use either face asset. That being the basic rule for the custom installation option, giving the Norman portrait set that treatment would be inconsistent. It's also certainly possible that there are people who don't like CPRplus's Western and Muslim face assets but prefer the Norman portrait set to have CPRplus's Norse face assets, so that treatment is is not going to please everyone.

So for now I would advise that you edit interface/portraits/portraits_norman.gfx yourself. You just need to replace every instance of "norse" with "german" if you want CPRplus's Western face or "western" if you want vanilla's Western face. However, there is one catch: you must copy and paste the correct alignment adjustment values for face assets (for example, "o75x49" found in "GFX_german_male_mouth:d2:eek:75x49"). Otherwise the face assets will glitch out. See either portraits_german.gfx or potraits_western.gfx for reference. Let me know if you need any help.

Reactions:

I understand! Keep fighting hte good fight anyway, and yes I'd done that already, it took a while and a lot of copy and pasting but I did it some time ago. Thanks for your great mod anyway. I can't really play without it, especially the headgear and clothes that you've produced!

Does this work with CK2+
LordPeter is providing a compatibility patch module for CK2+, but it's not up to date yet. So you'll have to wait.

How would I go about using CPR+ without the northwestern noses (Scots, Bretons, English)?
Delete celtic_male_nose_1, 2, and 3.dds and celtic_female_nose_1,2, and 3.dds, found in HIP folder/gfx/characters/celtic_male and /celtic_female, respectively. To be precise, English portrait pack doesn't use Celtic noses, so it will remain unaffected.

Note that this solution does not work in all instances. This solution works only if the numbers of frames in the original and CPRplus files happen to be the same.

I understand! Keep fighting hte good fight anyway, and yes I'd done that already, it took a while and a lot of copy and pasting but I did it some time ago. Thanks for your great mod anyway. I can't really play without it, especially the headgear and clothes that you've produced!
I'm sure you did this already too, but just make sure that you have default_son_western.tga and default_daughter_western.tga, not something like default_son_german.tga! :D

*Edit*
Also, make sure to delete alignment adjustment values found in western_male_beard... entries.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I absolutely love the Magyar faces, makes me wanna play as a Hungarian now! And the Nordic faces do look interesting in the picture, but whatevs.

And for Romans, I know it's a dead culture but from what I've seen in HIP, use the default western clothes. AKA the Roman emperors dress like Charlemagne. Is there a way to make them look slightly different like in Better Looking Garbs? In that one Romans use Greek faces with Roman clothing like a golden olive branch, red robes with gold, as well as white togas and such.

That last part was a suggestion, if it's too much effort for a small thing like looking through the history of the ERE then I understand. :p

Reactions:
I absolutely love the Magyar faces, makes me wanna play as a Hungarian now! And the Nordic faces do look interesting in the picture, but whatevs.
Glad to hear that! The Hungarian portrait set is one of the more radically different portraits from vanilla, but curiously we received no feedback on it before you did, I think. As far as the Norse faces go, my opinion is that they have at least a chance at looking cool or pretty in CPRplus. :D IIRC it was the hardest set to improve for sifsilver.

And for Romans, I know it's a dead culture but from what I've seen in HIP, use the default western clothes. AKA the Roman emperors dress like Charlemagne. Is there a way to make them look slightly different like in Better Looking Garbs? In that one Romans use Greek faces with Roman clothing like a golden olive branch, red robes with gold, as well as white togas and such.
It would be nice to have those assets, but since like you said the only time you will ever see the Romans in the game is going to be when you are looking at the ERE's title history, I can't find enough justification to add them when the mod is already causing a performance hit on lower-end PCs. Technically every new sprite contributes to more memory use, and CPRplus obviously adds tons of more sprites than vanilla, so I would be more inclined to add new assets for areas that need something new, like fashion in East Africa.

I like the mod more and more and appreciate all the work, but would you improve women portraits? They looks kinda ugly with those noses.

Reactions:
LordPeter is providing a compatibility patch module for CK2+, but it's not up to date yet. So you'll have to wait.

Delete celtic_male_nose_1, 2, and 3.dds and celtic_female_nose_1,2, and 3.dds, found in HIP folder/gfx/characters/celtic_male and /celtic_female, respectively. To be precise, English portrait pack doesn't use Celtic noses, so it will remain unaffected.

Note that this solution does not work in all instances. This solution works only if the numbers of frames in the original and CPRplus files happen to be the same.

I'm sure you did this already too, but just make sure that you have default_son_western.tga and default_daughter_western.tga, not something like default_son_german.tga! :D

*Edit*
Also, make sure to delete alignment adjustment values found in western_male_beard... entries.
Thank you for the response and all your hard work.

The Beja and Afar cultures (in SWMH) aren't using the new east African GFX.
Intended, at least for now, as I wanted them to keep their headgear and clothing combination. I was reluctant to create a separate portrait set just to change the face assets used. I will, however, create a new portrait set for the Beja and Afar once/if we get around adding East African clothes.

Any plans on adding religious clothing?
You can't actually "add" to the clothing set that's controlled by religion since it's hardcoded. You can only modify its content. Another approach would be to directly add a new cloth to the regular clothing set(s), but you would need to do that for every clothing set so it's unpractical.

In any case, it's not on our to-do list at the moment.

Reactions:
So, what's in?
No major graphic update for some time. We've just been working on polishing existing materials and bug fixing. These include

- fixing vanilla portrait bugs
- adjusting beard and hair position
- tweaking female Western and Celtic noses
- tweaking eye colors and distribution
- balancing historical accuracy and variety (historical accuracy is more important, but not at the cost of completely ruining variety)
- Kurdish portrait set (a mix of Muslim and Persian portrait assets)
- hopefully East African clothes

What about the Magyars wearing turbans? :rolleyes:
They already are, sort of. Pagan Hungarians wear a modified version of the Turkish headgear, and there are turbans in it. If you have documentary or archaeological evidence for any particular kind of depiction for any portrait set, please share! I would love more input like that. ;)

Reactions:
They already are, sort of. Pagan Hungarians wear a modified version of the Turkish headgear, and there are turbans in it. If you have documentary or archaeological evidence for any particular kind of depiction for any portrait set, please share! I would love more input like that. ;)

The Pecheneg headgears and old Cuman clothes (from CrackdToothGreen's mod) would fit for the Magyars at least.

Some archeological reconstructions on the magyar clothes you can find here http://steppes.proboards.com/thread/1225/discussion-on-ancient-hungarian-wear
and here http://vk.com/albums-59381051

As for documentary there're many in russian and hungarian need to be translated.

In spite of having many similarities of the steppe dress with Oghuric branch of the Turkic people (like the Bulgars, Avars, Khazars) and the Pechenegs they'd been preserving own specifics.

Last edited:
Reactions: