• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sifsilver

CPRplus guy
64 Badges
Jul 23, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life

updated: 11/24/17
MdaPe8y.jpg

Image does not include SWMH cultures (norsegael, berber, sicilian, etc)

Introduction

A Historical Immersion Project module, CPRplus is a successor to Culture and Portrait Revamp (henceforth referred to as CPR) and the CPR Flavor Plus! submod (henceforth CPRplus) both in name and content. The goal of CPRplus remains the same as CPR’s: to offer more variety in character portrait. CPRplus seeks to do so through not only this principle but also through additional graphical assets, recoloring some and completely overhauling others as well as reorganizing how and when graphic assets are displayed in-game. The result is a very uniform and smoother transition from culture to culture, without any one particular culture sticking out oddly because of its original art style. CPRplus’s feature highlights include:

- Various portrait sets using existing and new graphical assets, both from CPR and brand new from CPRplus
- Recolored skin tone
- Reworked facial elements
- New headgear and clothing graphical assets
- Tweaks to portrait code (e.g. Nomadic rulers only wear armor and helmet when at war, portrait background reflects the character’s geographic location)
- Men under 18 do not grow beards. Pious Catholic men also do not grow beards.
- Men over 80 go bald.
- High personal combat + Martial is awarded a knight helmet or a crusader helmet if you are also a crusader.
-Cardinals wears the red galero.

Installation
(Link to the HIP download thread)
To install CPRplus, you must download the latest version of Historical Immersion Project (henceforth HIP) and run the installer. The installer will install CPRplus once it verifies that you have purchased the required portrait pack DLCs. The verification process is necessary because CPRplus includes modified DLC graphical assets, which cannot be distributed freely without a proper and reasonable measure for verifying DLC purchase. Currently, CPRplus requires ALL portrait pack DLCs and ALL DLCs that include portrait assets.

Note: If you don't want/like the other parts of HIP, and only want CPRplus, simply select no to all the modules except CPRplus. You will have a vanilla experience with CPRplus only this way.
Since the steam version updates before the version that is in thr HIP installer, you must wait for HIP to update to play with the other HIP modules.

Compatibility

CPRplus should be compatible with mods that do not alter culture and character portrait elements. CPRplus in its original state is most likely incompatible with mods that alter contents in common/cultures, common/graphicalculturetypes, and interface/ folders. In such cases, some modification will be necessary to make CPRplus compatible. Feel free to ask in the thread or contact @@Ese Khan for questions on compatibility patching.

CPRplus is basically incompatible with other portrait mods, including Better Looking Garbs and Portrait Realignment Pack.

Credits/Mod Use policy

There are many outside contributions to CPR+, and special permissions for asset use from other mods.
Credits and Permissions include:
Huanglukuzhu
Lux Invicta
Silfae
AGOT
LordPeter

Want some of our assets for your own mod?
CPR+ mostly uses dozens of its own unique assets, so please ask permission before using ANY CPR+ assets. CPR+ also uses DLC content, which can not be distributed without some sort of protective measure. If your distribution method has been approved by Paradox (Like HIP has) then, and only then, can you use CPR+ assets that are derived from DLC in your mod.
Thank you.

Developers

@sifsilver : Art
@Ese Khan : Coding, Testing

Last edited:
Reactions:
CPRplus and Portrait Modding FAQ
(WIP)

Basic questions:

- Where can I download the South Indian portrait pack?
Unlike other portrait packs, the South Indian portrait pack is available as free DLC via Steam Key provided by Paradox. To download, either verify your email address on your Paradox Account or register your Crusader Kings 2 on the Paradox forums, then go to your "Keys" page to acquire the Steam Key for the DLC (link shown below):
https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/profile/game_keys

- Is there a compatibility patch for other major mods?
Currently, there is only one for CK2Plus. LordPeter provides a CK2Plus compatibility patch for CPRplus, with his own touch. Note that it may not be always up to date.

If you know some modding and don't care about CK2Plus's portrait elements, then all you need to modify is common/cultures/z_CPR_cultures.txt. You just have to modify the file so that it has the same cultural setup as CK2Plus and correct graphical culture assignment.

- Is CPRplus that's on Steam Workshop up-to-date?
Depends. Sometimes CPRplus that's on Steam gets updated before HIP does, and at other times CPRplus on Steam may be outdated in comparison to HIP's (unfortunately I can't update the Steam version myself because I'm only a Contributor).

If you want to run the latest version of CPRplus that's available, check the last updated date. Whichever one is more recent is the most current version of CPRplus.

CPRplus-specific questions:

- What are the current portrait sets?

- How do I change portrait set assignment? (e.g. Egyptians to use the Levantine portrait set)
Open [CPRplus folder]/common/cultures/z_CPR_cultures.txt. This file controls which culture uses which graphical culture (which in turn includes portrait setup, sprite setup, and holding icon setup). Whatever is written inside "graphical_cultures" is the graphical cultures that the culture will load. The order that graphical cultures get loaded looks like this:

Code:
[culture group] = {
   graphical_cultures = { 3 }

[culture] = {
     graphical_cultures = { 1 2 }
   }

}

So if you have this -

Code:
celtic = {
   graphical_cultures = { westerngfx }

welsh = {
     graphical_cultures = { bretongfx celticgfx }
   }

}

Welsh characters will use bretongfx's portrait, then will use the Celtic unit sprites, and will use all other graphical culture stuff from westerngfx (e.g. councilor sprites, holding icons...)

So put in or remove whichever portrait culture that you would like to the culture in question to use.

- How do I disable a trait-based graphic?

- How do I replace a portrait element in a given portrait set?

- How do I keep vanilla Western/Muslim face for some portrait sets while giving CPRplus Western/Muslim face for others?

General portrait modding questions:

- What files do I need to edit to make a new portrait set?
To add a new portrait, you have to update three files:

common/graphicalculturetypes/[whatever text file you have there].txt
common/cultures/[whichever text file that has the culture that you would like to edit].txt
interface/portraits/[you can name this file whatever you want].gfx

Text files in common/graphicalculturetypes/ define graphical culture types. Graphical culture type is an umbrella tag for all culture-dependent graphics, including unit sprites, holding icons, and portraits. Since you are adding a new portrait data, you need to define a new graphical culture tag. I recommend that you make your own file so that all you need to do whenever CPRplus gets updated is to move that file into a newly installed CPRplus.

Let's suppose that we want to make a new portrait set called "prussian". Make a new text file in [CPRplus folder]/common/graphicalculturetypes/, and simply add

Code:
prussiangfx = {
   skin_tone = 0
}

Note that the "skin_tone" entry doesn't change skin tone; the entry is referenced in the event characters with different "skin_tone" entry have a child and result in a "mixed" child. I'm not sure how exactly this works, but you can basically expect a mixed child between chacaters with skin_tone values of 0 and 3 to be born with some graphical culture with the "skin_tone" value of 1 or 2. I don't know which graphical culture actually gets chosen, though. AFAIK it's not entirely random. In vanilla, some of the earlier patched seemed to prefer the Turkish portrait, while more recent ones seem to pop up the Cuman portrait more often.

Now that you've defined a graphical culture type, you must give that graphical culture type to the culture(s) you would like to have it. So, in this case, open up common/cultures/00_cultures.txt because that's the file that has all the cultures whether you play with or without SWMH. Look for "prussian" and do this:

Code:
graphical_cultures = { prussiangfx ugricgfx }

Note that I kept ugricgfx so that Prussian characters use Ugric unit sprites. Basically graphical cultures get loaded in this order, leaving whatever graphical culture element is missing to the next graphical culture defined:

Code:
[culture group] = {
   graphical_cultures = { 3 }

[culture] = {
     graphical_cultures = { 1 2 }
   }

}

So if you have this -

Code:
celtic = {
   graphical_cultures = { westerngfx }

welsh = {
     graphical_cultures = { bretongfx celticgfx }
   }

}

Welsh characters will use bretongfx's portrait, then will use the Celtic unit sprites, and will use all other graphical culture stuff from westerngfx (e.g. councilor sprites, holding icons...)

Lastly, you will need to add portrait entries for the graphical culture you defined. I won't get too much into detail here. Just make sure that, for every entry that starts with "portraitType", you have the newly defined graphical culture type's name. For example:

Code:
portraitType = {
     name = "PORTRAIT_prussiangfx_male_early"
. . .

- How do I adjust the position of a portrait element?
Open the portrait you would like to modify in [CPRplus folder]/interface/portraits. In portrait entries (ones starting with "portraitType"), typically after "p#", either add or modify a function that looks like this: o#x#".

For example:

Code:
"GFX_norse_male_beard_behind_christian:p4:o-2x1:h:y"

What "o-2x1" does here is to move the beard layer 2 pixels to the left and 1 pixel upward. That's right It's on x-y plane. Do note that this function moves the entire layer. In this case, the function will move all of the beard frames to the left and upward.

- How do I add a new graphical asset for character portrait?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thanks for the new thread sif.:)

Reactions:
Great, but just a sidenote: I would not recommend using the word "race". I know that in American English it seems to be fully tolerated, but for others it is quiet offending.

Otherwise, everything looks great except for Lunatic in my opinion.

nonsense

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, in my opinion the lunatic people look to aggressive, I don't consider all crazy people to be aggressive. Having it optional would be better, but I believe that was in the works.

Reactions:
Was talking about the race thing.
Oh, concerning the "race" wording? I think it is sufficient to have it mentioned here, no need to start a debate over that, it would be completely off-topic.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, in my opinion the lunatic people look to aggressive, I don't consider all crazy people to be aggressive. Having it optional would be better, but I believe that was in the works.
Will add an instruction on how to manually disable trait-based graphics.

Reactions:
perfecto! lunatic is alright I would say, but I think someone sugested this earlier, but it can look like a smirk ala norman bates in psycho.

Reactions:
Anyways, could you post a guide on how to further customize yourself? I'm really speaking out for those who would like to later on, maybe a little guide or write-up on how to do so? For example if you wanted to change the eyes in the Mediterranean portraits with the western, how could you go about that? Bravo for the fantastic touches!

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm in the process of compiling a FAQ section, so list your questions here and I will add them to the list if they are general enough.

Reactions:
Great, but just a sidenote: I would not recommend using the word "race". I know that in American English it seems to be fully tolerated, but for others it is quiet offending.

From a micro perspective it is. Generally speaking the term "race" as used in anthropological sense is a macro term, and honestly it gets more use when describing past difficulties and is at best a crude generalization and is mostly defunct. What CPRPlus demonstrates is what is called a "cline" or physical deferences between ethnicities and yes "racial" physical traits that are continentally shared occasionally. This includes the generally darker skin of those in warmer climates, blue eyes in northern areas, and the eyelids common across the Steppes and Asia. These are suspected to be adaptations, something anthropologists are VERY loathe to talk about when discussing physical differences between populations. (it can get dangerous)

Reactions:
Great work!

It's a bit hard to tell, but is that a new version of the possessed trait in the preview image?

Also, maybe this thread should be stickied, now that CPRplus is part of the installer.

Great work!

It's a bit hard to tell, but is that a new version of the possessed trait in the preview image?

Also, maybe this thread should be stickied, now that CPRplus is part of the installer.

Yes, new possessed, less immersion breaking.

It's in the process of being stickied. Forum admins off for the weekend.