• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

iron0037

37th Great-Grandson of Charlemagne
75 Badges
May 15, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
This modification adds Scottish clan tartans as dynasty-specific coats of arms! 63 clan tartans have been added to game:
7651531.jpg

Family Listing:
0 Abernathy
1 Campbell
2 Arbuthnot
3 Armstrong
4 Bairead
5 Barclay
6 Borthwick
7 Buchanan
8 Cameron
9 Cockburn
10 Craig
11 Douglas
12 Dunbar
13 Mac Fergusa
14 Forbes
15 Friseal
16 Galloway/Dunkeld
17 Gillespie
18 Glas
19 Gordon
20 Menteith
21 Grant
22 de la Haya
23 Johnston
24 Kennedy
25 Lennox
27 Mac Ailpin
28 Mac Dubgaill
29 MacGregor
30 MacLeod
31 MacNeill
32 a Phearsain
33 Macduff
34 Macintosh
35 Mackay
36 Mackenzie
37 Mac Lochlainn
38 a Marr
39 of Tullibardine
40 de Ramsay
41 Robertson
42 Gowrie
43 Fraser
44 Strathearn
45 Wallace
46 de Brus (not used)
47 Angus
48 Buchan
49 Lachlainn
50 Mac Carthaigh
51 MacTaggart
52 Bannock
53 Murray
54 Athfotla
55 Airergaidil
56 of Fib
57 a Sratha Cluade
58 Lowden
59 Charraig
60 Mac Domnaill
61 Mac Finnagain
62 Mac Bethain
63 Neacail
Version Changes:
Version 2.3a
  • Updated for patch 2.3 compatibility with 4th dynasty CoA DLC
Version 2.0.2a
  • Updated for patch 2.0.2
Version 1.103a
  • Updated for patch 1.103
  • Cancelled Mac Carthaigh dynasty CoA (the stag) due to poor graphics quality
Version 1.10a
  • Updated for patch 1.10
  • Set Mac Carthaigh dynasty to be Irish
Version 1.06b
  • Moved Scottish dynasties into a separate file in the common/dynasties subdirectory
  • Updated coat_of_arms.txt for new Muslim colors
Version 4:
  • Made compatible with 1.05
Version 3:
  • Added 12 new tartans
  • Fixed dynasties.txt to be 1.03b compliant
  • Minor bug fixes
Version 2:
  • Fixed coat_of_arms.txt to be 1.03b compliant
  • Cleaned up images to be crisper
  • Added 4 new tartans

Attachments

• Tartans_2_3a.zip
    683,5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Common Questions

Were tartans used by Scots in the game's time frame?
Almost certainly not. According to Wikipedia, Scottish clan tartans are not thought to have come into use until 1500 onwards.

Then why did you create tartan CoAs?
Even if they weren't used in the time period, I consider giving Scottish dynasties their modern tartan to be a step up from generating completely random coats of arms. It should also be pointed out that coats of arms weren't adopted at all times in the CK2 period, nor were they adopted by all cultures. So you're dealing with ahistorical concepts either way.

Last edited:
Reactions:
16th to 17 century actually, IIRC. Didn't exist in the CK2 timeframe, in any case.
Still, if you think it's fun, go for it. Calling it "historic" might be a bit of a stretch, though...

Fair enough. I thought it would be better to use clan tartans over randomly generated coats...even if they aren't inventions of the timeframe.

My family, the MacInnes of Morven have been known since the 5th century and adopted are Tartan with the defeat of the Norsemen in the 12th century... according to what my grandfather told me. Kinlochalaine was where my family was from before America and I know the Tartan goes back to the beginning of the 16th century and thats almost the middle ages! :rolleyes:

So, yeah, cool mod. Gets my vote.

Hunting MacInnes for the win!

Hmm, i checked my clan book and it states that district Tartans existed by the early middle ages partially in an attempt to combat feudalism that Malcolm brought in from England. Now a clan is not dependent on a district but i guess they were at the time.

OP, if you happen to need any info on clan locations in this period or other tartans, i have 240~ tartans and clan locations, including castle holdings.

Mike

CoAs didnt exist for half the game either and many of them are retroactive from later romanticism or just made up, so tartans are just as appropriate and bring a little individual flavour and indication of a house as having come from scotland.
Good Idea!

Well I'm glad that at least a couple people enjoyed it! As time permits over the next few weeks, I'm going to do what I can to touch up the graphics. When shrinking certain images, they came out a bit too grainy. I'm also happy to add further images if people have any suggestions.

Well I'm glad that at least a couple people enjoyed it! As time permits over the next few weeks, I'm going to do what I can to touch up the graphics. When shrinking certain images, they came out a bit too grainy. I'm also happy to add further images if people have any suggestions.

Im not sure if it would be possible, but if you could get some generic ones to change colour like the paradox randoms do, and then associate it with scotland provinces or the culture or something so random and non-great-house scottish dynasties would all have tartans not just the specified historical ones then thatd be brilliant and save you having to make specific ones for the ones you havent done.

Im not sure if it would be possible, but if you could get some generic ones to change colour like the paradox randoms do, and then associate it with scotland provinces or the culture or something so random and non-great-house scottish dynasties would all have tartans not just the specified historical ones then thatd be brilliant and save you having to make specific ones for the ones you havent done.
Now that's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. It should be possible, but it would take a bit of effort. I will investigate.

This is great, downloading! I'm all for giving all the ingame cultures their own different flavour!

I like this mod but it seems to be incompatible with the CoA DLC. If you load both the DLC and the Tartan mod all of the CoA from the DLC will be distorted as in this image:

deNormandie.jpg

Is there something I can do to make them compatible?

Ok, I found some free time this weekend and updated the CoA pack. I added 4 new entries and cleaned up the existing ones so they don't look as grainy.

Thank you Finarfin for bringing the Dynasty CoA issue to my attention. When they updated 1.03b, they reshaped the tga file that the dynasties pull from. This requires fixing an interface file, which my mod didn't include since it was from v1.02b. Should work now!

Hi samus,
To date, I've focused on adding tartans for for dynasties that are explicitly included in the game. Alas, Davidson is not one of those dynasties. Maybe I can slip it in for you during the next update :).

Hi samus,
To date, I've focused on adding tartans for for dynasties that are explicitly included in the game. Alas, Davidson is not one of those dynasties. Maybe I can slip it in for you during the next update :).

You found a way to make custom dynasty COA? Do you have a guide somewhere?