• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I left a few notes in some threads the first week the game came out. I've been musing a more definitive tutorial...looks like there's demand. I'll work on it this weekend.

That wold be awsome, and the demand for tutorials are always high :)

Now if you dont mind im going to check this mod out!

What would I need to do to incorporate this mod with another CoA mod I'm using? When I load them both the tartans do not get used. Is this something that's fairly simple to do?

Hi samus,
To date, I've focused on adding tartans for for dynasties that are explicitly included in the game. Alas, Davidson is not one of those dynasties. Maybe I can slip it in for you during the next update :).

Oh thanks I would like that if its no trouble really just being from the Davdison family I was dismayed not to see it in there :)

What would I need to do to incorporate this mod with another CoA mod I'm using? When I load them both the tartans do not get used. Is this something that's fairly simple to do?
In my tutorial, I explain how this isn't possible. So far as I understand, only one dynasties.txt file is going to get loaded in the end. If it's possible to have a second file that appends/amends dynasties, then I don't know how to do it. I've seen some people vaguely claim you pull this off, but no one has provided clear instructions.

Once the dust settles so to speak, maybe someone (perhaps me) will create a unified CoA mod. In the meantime, you can always try to do a text unification.

This mod has been updated for v1.05. There were several fixes to the vanilla dynasties.txt that have been incorporated. Enjoy!

With regards to random tartans, I have made some investigation into this. It would be nice to have them for non-great houses like the randomly generated de Moray, de Alexandria, etc so long as they're Scottish. The coat_of_arms.txt file has declarations by culture, but they're only specified by religion. Does anyone know if it's possible to make a Scottish only declaration in there? If it is, then what happens to houses if they culture shift away from Scottish?

I have updated the mod to be 1.06b compatible. No new tartans have been added. However, the good news is that it should be far easier to merge this mod in with other user-developed content. If you are combining with another CoA pack, then some further work might be necessary for the texture indexes. If you have no idea what I'm talking about or need assistance, feel free to PM me!

Are there any Johnstones in the game?
Edit: You called it Johnston, but that is fine. I can't seem to find the majority of the clans you haev the tartans for. can you say what year and where? That would be awesome.

Last edited:
Hey Polskers. Sure I can make an update! Give me approximately 15 hours. It's a simple fix but I can't make it at this moment. I hadn't bothered because I didn't think anyone was actually interested. Good to see that someone is :).

Definitely am, man! It looks wonderful! It would add a nice little boost of flavour and colour to the Scottish area as far as dynasties go (whilst I am waiting for other CoA mod updates as well... I am a bit shoddy at working with CoA's & dynasties myself). :) Looking forward to it!

This is very cool! You didn't by chance find a way to make it compatible if you've got the other CoA DLC did you?
Hi imdahman. The mod is compatible with all CoA DLCs. It won't interfere with them in any way...unless the third DLC added a custom coat for a dynasty I'm using...I should probably doublecheck.

If you recently downloaded it and were experiencing odd behavior, then it was probably due to some changes Paradox made in 1.102 that made the mod incompatible. I updated the mod just now, so download a fresh copy. Cheers!