• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pothkan

Fischmeister
26 Badges
Jan 10, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I'd like to present you a set of modifications into CK2 heraldry area. I've started it just for myself, but what the heck - I could share it as well :D

Please note, that it's under construction. Major updates will be posted here.

Caution: Mod is free to use and modify (as long, as it stays free of charge), I don't claim rights to any part of it. You can include it in other mod, as long as you mention it in description (also mentioning Patrum Scuta by Keanon as part of it), and let me know after (no earlier request is needed). Please credit it as "CK II Heraldry by Pothkan + Patrum Scuta by Keanon". Also, if your mod is compatible with mine (I mean, it would work fine running separately), I'd prefer if you just post a link to it in your mod description (I may do the same here). There are two reasons for that: first, my mod is quite big alone (so if somebody is using it already, he wouldn't have to download it again as part of your mod); second, updating would be easier on both sides.

If you have any precise requests, remarks, or most of all - you've noticed a bug, let me know here or at my e-mail.

Sources of images:
Wikipedia (various language editions)
Wappenwiki
Heraldicum
Héraldique européenne
Heraldry of the World
Mały Herbarz Adama Kromera

If you know any other websites, which could be helpful here - let me know.

Download (15 MB)

Archive may contain some vanilla files (they will be changed later).

LIST OF UPDATES

CK2 Heraldry 2.0 (first one)

- Territorial CoAs: ca.350 arms changed or redesigned (mostly duchies and kingdoms, still working on counties).
- CoAs of houses: ca. 320 arms added; works both with or without DLC (arms redesigned); some new families added.

CK2 Heraldry 2.1 (28.2.2012)

- Territorial CoAs: ca. 250 new changed or added* (archive includes also vanilla CoAs which I plan to modify in future).
- CoAs of houses: ca. 450 already added + 50 in DLC modified.
- Patrum Scuta mod (by Keanon) included (with permission), so all generic CoAs will appear according to it (IMHO really better, than default engine).
- Brusastad bug fixed (thanks to brown111, Wiz and Taijian for info!).

* Sorry for no specific list, but I tend to work rather chaotically - sometimes I try to correct a batch of arms in one territory (e.g. lately I've mad counties in Algeria, based on city arms from French period; and day earlier I was working in Caucasus), and sometimes I just check what can be changed "from A to Z", i.e. files listed alphabetically.

CK2 Heraldry 2.11 (29.2.2012)

- Fixed some bugged dynasties (thanks to Taijian for info), i.a. von Zähringen, Yngling and d'Hauteville.
- Added a little feature, where you can add one custom CoA of chosen dynasty (here description how to do it). It's mainly for those of you, who want to play with own (e.g. imagined) CoA. If it's a historical fix (you're correcting CoA into historical one), let me know - I could include it into next update.

CK2 Heraldry 2.12 (3.3.2012)

- Small fixes (i.a. custom CoA feature).

Last edited:
Cool, I'll download it and check it out, and then I'll give you my thoughts (since I've been working on something similar).

Very nice mod, well done. Thank you! Can't wait for counties!

Awesome work, congratulations.

I have bought DLC with heraldry, but your opus is superior in my opinion.

But two minor things:
1. Please withdraw Silesian shelds (counties - Lower and Upper Silesia) - you included strange science-fiction elements, who never existed. Vanilla have proper ones. Duchies are ok, counties are wrong.
2. I have never said this Lower Lorraine sheld - are you sure it is corrent?

Thank you for Dunin dynasty sheld ;)

Awesome work, congratulations.

I have bought DLC with heraldry, but your opus is superior in my opinion.

But two minor things:
1. Please withdraw Silesian shelds (counties - Lower and Upper Silesia) - you included strange science-fiction elements, who never existed. Vanilla have proper ones. Duchies are ok, counties are wrong.

The coat of arms of the duchy of Lower Lorraine, later reduced to the duchy of Lothier, is the same as the coat of arms of the duchy of Austria modern (so the red white red), this also is the coat of arms of Leuven (Louvain/ Löwen). Apparently these are combined with the coat of arms of the duchy of Brabant, this combination is today used by the Belgian province of Flemish Brabant (province capital is Leuven). Sadly enough the coat of arms of Brabant isn't included though.

Furthermore the coat of arms of the counties of Carinthia/Kärnten and Styria/Steiermark still aren't quite right. The coat of arms used for the county of Styria is actually the the coat of arms Carinthia modern, so this one could be used for the county of Carinthia instead, the coat of arms of the county of Styria/Steiermark should be the same as the duchy of Styria/Steiermark. The coat of arms used in the vanilla game to represent the duchy of Carinthia is the correct coat of arms Carinthia ancien though.

I also see that there is a coat of arms for the duchy of Austria, which actually is the coat of arms of the counts of Habsburg; and there also is a coat of arms for the duchy of Österreich. I would suggest to use the former as the coat of arms for the county of Aargau (which is were the castle Habsburg is located).

Apart from these minoir nitpicks, thanks for your great work; I'll will probably end up using a part of your work :).

Last edited:
Are you screen ?
What do you mean...?

They were used, although only locally and for some time. Lower Silesia = Duchy of Munsterberg (CoA from 14th C.), Upper Silesia = Duchy of Schweidnitz (also 14th C.). When there is no good proper CoA, I try to find one in the same region and time. I'd like to avoid CoA of county and duchy (and kingdom) to be similar, although of course sometimes it's unavoidable (e.g. Kingdom of Poland, and duchies of Lesser & Greater Poland; or county and duchy of Luxembourg).

Not correct, but nearly the same area. It merges arms of Brabant and Louvain, which were part of Lower Lorraine for some time. Taken from here: http://www.heraldique-europeenne.org/Regions/Benelux/Brabant.htm

If you have better proposal, let me know. Of course, it concerns other arms as well.

You're welcome. I've included quite a lot of other Polish arms already.

Furthermore the coat of arms of the counties of Carinthia/Kärnten and Styria/Steiermark still aren't quite right.
Because these are vanillas, I haven't touched them yet.

By the way, if you have concise add-on proposals (with image files etc.), you can send them directly at my e-mail: pothkan@gmail.com. Of course, any help used would be listed here.

Last edited:
Furthermore the coat of arms of the counties of Carinthia/Kärnten and Styria/Steiermark still aren't quite right. The coat of arms used for the county of Styria is actually the the coat of arms Carinthia modern, so this one could be used for the county of Carinthia instead, the coat of arms of the county of Styria/Steiermark should be the same as the duchy of Styria/Steiermark.
Paradox seems to use arms of territory capital, when there is no appropriate for county. So CoA of county of Carinthia is CoA of Klagenfurt. And I agree with that. However, in case of Styria it's of course wrong (I agree with you here), so I'll change it to same as duchy (because it's CoA of Graz as well). CoA of Austria will be changed to red-white-red, but I prefer to leave Aargau as is. Of course, red lion will stay as Habsburg dynasty CoA.

By the way, if you have any specific requests (territories or houses) for next update - feel free to give them.

Last edited:
Paradox seems to use arms of territory capital, when there is no appropriate for county. So CoA of county of Carinthia is CoA of Klagenfurt. And I agree with that. However, in case of Styria it's of course wrong (I agree with you here), so I'll change it to same as duchy (because it's CoA of Graz as well). CoA of Austria will be changed to red-white-red, but I prefer to leave Aargau as is. Of course, red lion will stay as Habsburg dynasty CoA.

By the way, if you have any specific requests (territories or houses) for next update - feel free to give them.

I don't understand your point about the ''county'' of Carinthia, the coat of arms of Carinthia Paradox for some reason used for Steiermark is used as the coat of arms of Carinthia since 1246 (before that point the dukes of Carinthia used the coat of arms, which are used as the ducal coat of arms of Carinthia in the game). It represents the claims of the dukes of Carinthia on the lands of the house of Babenberg, which went extinct in 1246. IMHO Carinthia/Kärnten has an appropriate coat of arms (two actually, the ducal coat of arms from before 1246 (black panther on silver (used for the duchy in the vanilla game)) and the ducal arms after 1246 (the combination of 3 black lions on gold; and red-silver-red)). Personally I use the arms from before 1246 for the entire duchy of Carinthia/Kärnten and given the historic territorial development (territorial losses) I use the arms from after 1246 for the county of Carinthia/Kärnten.
Furthermore the province is called Kärnten/Carinthia not Klagenfurt, besides the arms of the territory capital IMHO are used inconsistently. In most regions, if possible, at least in Western Europe, comital and/or ducal coat of arms are used for most provinces (which I prefer).
(OTOH the borders in the Austrian region and other parts of the HRE are a mess, but that's fixed by the resketched provinces mod, although that isn't optimal for Poland, but I changed back the borders of Poland to the vanilla set up, only the Polish-HRE border region is a bit of a compromise. :))

Any way it's your mod, great work, but I'll probably only use the parts I like or agree with, so I definitely use a different coat of arms for Carinthia ;).

Last edited:
I prefer the old Palaiologos CoA... not sure why you took out the ΠΑΛΓ family cypher.

Otherwise, I do like the added CoA to a lot of families who were given random nonsense.

Mod looks awesome but when I try to run it (with and w/o the DLC), some shields are oversized and matched up with wrong dynasties. Maybe my resolution? Any thoughts?

Hey, I should give you a heads up: This mod was the cause of severe slowdown issues after I integrated it in WizCK2. Specifically the dynasties.txt file (which I had not altered at all) was causing the game to become choppy. I have no idea WHY, but once I replaced it with the vanilla dynasties.txt the chop stopped. The rest seems to work fine.

Why every person who is cleric is from Brusastaad dynasty?
I have not ever heard about it. The monucultural dynasty Brusastaad (all european cultures, from Portugal to Mongol) has 650 living person in my game...
Game takes only 30 years.

Personally I use the arms from before 1246 for the entire duchy of Carinthia/Kärnten and given the historic territorial development (territorial losses) I use the arms from after 1246 for the county of Carinthia/Kärnten.
Hmm.... OK, you've convinced me. I'll change CoA of Carinthia-county.

Hey, I should give you a heads up: This mod was the cause of severe slowdown issues after I integrated it in WizCK2. Specifically the dynasties.txt file (which I had not altered at all) was causing the game to become choppy. I have no idea WHY, but once I replaced it with the vanilla dynasties.txt the chop stopped. The rest seems to work fine.
I haven't noticed any slowdown during gameplay, but it unfortunately makes start-up longer... Although I have quite decent PC, so it may be an issue on slower machines. It may be related to size of files (I've upgraded most of them to 24-bit mode), so I'll try to make a lower quality version later. However, most probably it's related to dynasties.txt, and I don't see a solution to this problem. If you throw it out of mod, it should make game more efficient, but only territorial CoAs will be changed.

I prefer the old Palaiologos CoA... not sure why you took out the ΠΑΛΓ family cypher.
I'll try to correct it.

Mod looks awesome but when I try to run it (with and w/o the DLC), some shields are oversized and matched up with wrong dynasties. Maybe my resolution? Any thoughts?
First problem might be caused with my bad estimation at first-remade CoAs. Just let me know, which arms need correction in your opinion. Second problem - I don't know, could you also list these dynasties? May be it incompatible with some other mod you're using?

Last edited:
Copypasted from another forum:

Wiz I think i have found what was wrong with the CK2-Heraldry mod and why it's making everything slowdown. Every time i load the game with that mod all the lowborn characters and a tons of other random guys ends up in the same swedish family (the Brusastad). That bishop is lowborn when i don't use that mod but when i use CK2-Heraldry, his family tree looks like this. Also 400 prestige for marrying someone of that "family".

Haven't verified it myself but wanted to let you know.

I just took a look at dynasties.txt and you have some pretty broken brackets. For example:

Code:
108 = {
	name="af Island"
	culture = norwegian
	coat_of_arms = {
		template = 0
		layer = {
			texture = 8
			texture_internal = 20
			emblem = 0
			color = 0
			color = 0
			color = 0
		}
	}
}
}

Note the double bracket at the end. I saw several other entries like this just with a cursory glance at the file.