• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mod Overview: Carthage, Macedonia and Seleukids

RetconCrisis

Corporal
39 Badges
Oct 24, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
EDIT: Mod's out! Linked below:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2827580531

Hello everyone! I'm RetconCrisis, and I'd like to showcase some stuff from a mod that I'm working on called Carthago Delenda Est, which is basically a 150 BC (604 AUC) start date, in case anyone is interested.

In 150 BC, much of the map in Imperator Rome was divided between powerful yet numerous states all vying for power, though Rome at this point was quickly heading towards becoming the undisputed power of the Mediterranean. Thus, we’ll start off by taking a look at the various corners of the Mediterranean that were embroiled in war in 150 BC.

20220429220420_1.jpg

First, let's take a look at the namesake of the mod: Carthage. Carthage is in a rough spot; having lost the Second Punic War over half a century ago and losing Iberia and it's Numidian allies, Carthage has lost even more land to King Masinissa of Numidia since the end of the war until now, the most recent loss being the Punic cities of Tripolitania. As a result, Carthage in 150 BC is flanked by the Numidians by land from all sides.

2IjLqGMB5RQlXEky8IliHnXmqDqNmSIDdgZiylFHLMOrkkLLozq3izLzBBnVqgeoveHUPTMYqn8icm8I56k7M4QEJwXLEt_ArP3AMF9xIk5lt2RMmNCs3odsuQUGD-VQ619XjGY_

Even worse, although Carthage has paid off all of its war reparations, the treaty signed with Rome at the end of the Second Punic War also states that Carthage cannot declare offensive wars, or else Rome can declare war for violating the treaty. This means Carthage has to provoke its targets into attacking first, or deal with two enemies at once. The Roman Republic's main strength is also its weakness: Rome's abundance of socii (Italian allies) makes naval invasions clunky for the Romans, and also decreases the levies available to Rome in Italy. Thus, if Carthage can prevent a sizable Roman army from gathering on land, then they can win the war from battles alone; I have even seen an AI Carthage take back Sardinia and Sicily if they have a high enough war score.

1-f7z7QKACcJ2XjZ0Z2Eog8B7xmuXZxkj_s2Dr17ym5tVr-6LLyUkYUolLD97zhPdxKbRnItswnZJm2aSIUPjJLE9-3Pc4UkgUJNPyZQi2-SIST7WGXRe4GIGr0wkQaa9HUMCYCz

Additionally, if Carthage does decide to declare an offensive war, they will have the choice to convince Rome to back down, and in turn Carthage will end all of its offensive wars and make peace with the defenders. However, the war-eager Romans are less likely to accept this offer of peace. And if Rome does declare war, expect the Numidians to try to grab as much land as they can while Carthage is distracted.
___

Next, let's take a look at the eastern Mediterranean. The kingdom of Macedonia was dismantled by Rome in the Third Macedonian War and split into four client republics. Although the aristocrats who now possess political authority are in favor of this move, most of the Macedonian people are angry at the various restrictions placed on them by the Romans and long for a reunited Macedonia.

o3PY4q8SVQGfJ7h0PPnLAfvwr06Zfic0wRQ162kFVp89H7J19MKx0ETcuncJo_woVidonC0YeTRvPqhbTuu1HuloV3XbA0f98OjFhS6UXMiTmFqMfepL9jtFk3ithazM9sSJ-Wkr

Thus, when a pretender by the name of Andriskos claims to be the son of the last king Perseus, making him the heir to the Antigonid throne, many Macedonians rally behind him as Andriskos wages a war to unite Macedonia. The Romans initially underestimate the young pretender and will not immediately send troops to deal with the revolt, which can give a newly-revived Macedonian kingdom some time to build up enough strength to face the inevitable war with the Romans.

oC2K0f2uh3_tpe6CNosFl6J4Fkf0rrJ9TWuf_PmlS2ExMt6QNLP8SjNoR5SGpwLlRUfFqMcA-IWlErp7pZFpLeUBQ84vsaoeImr072u6RpngqJTySXTYHt5mKZYvoHc7U5lZW_oD

7DfWDFmIYPOxKMvb-047kaGYtNrHr1NghGSZ2PrHhWxIFteiLlTdQY-Chmnok722SHK0hFVw4oltf4YCRfVD5pRQZ0VaOiWiD3s8cOPTfyQI9IW4dr1VlWHQceMO-rkAwETp8Y82

___

Farther to the east are the former Diadochi, the Ptolemaic and Seleukid Kingdoms, which are both in the midst of a great war involving several major powers. A young boy named Alexandros Balas and his sister Laodike were brought before the Roman Senate as supposed children of the late king Antiochus IV Epiphanes. The man who brought them before the Senate was Herakleides, who held a grudge against the current Seleukid king, Demetrios I Soter, for killing his brother Timarchus when the latter revolted in Media. The Roman Senate approved the boy and gave him their support, and other states followed suit. Not only was Demetrios already unpopular among his own subjects due to his drunkenness and cruelty, but other states like Pergamon, Cappadocia and the Ptolemaic Kingdom also wished to see a weakened Seleukid Kingdom.

SiqtkSETF-_AobBhcF2Kmf8fEa8z3u-PunHTZLLdqCksPJ0XADjfg_qJIxXJExr-wfv6Hjs_P1nduQdmD1Rl7PGw3rOqRoCPhaOsmAGvRXX5Cwm2p3fvBpHc7A0WWKYsToPjQ5k2

In 152 BC, an older Alexandros landed in Ptolemais-Ake, leading a mercenary army supported by the kings of Pergamon, Cappadocia and Egypt. By 150 BC, Alexandros had seized much of the Phoenician coast, his territories reaching as far north as Seleukeia Pieria. This causes even the Maccabean leaders in Judea to side with Alexandros in the war in return for an alliance.

For gameplay purposes, if Alexandros’ Seleukid Claimant army is able to seize the capital city of Antiocheia, a battle will ensue in which Alexandros kills Demetrios and wins the Seleukid throne. However, Alexandros is content with ruling only over Syria; this allows several local dynasts to breakaway in Mesopotamia, the most notable of which is the city of Seleukeia, which is the most powerful of these dynasts and historically remained independent even when the Parthians invaded the region. The governors of Elymais and Characene also break away, but there is a chance that the governors will seek Seleukid protection and request to become tributaries under the new Seleukid king.

LjvmnuUnoIBaeVWMvbXQRzgPlsqDi9gUq_S-mGJn-T89QrxKf7EUktMyqkWb0si2UZWCE-on3kylx251b1Tn_XHqwJwrQ78pURaEK4CDsjTZJcF_FRrTZhvq3uJO9QsdR5VQRBOA

This results in a much-weaker Seleukid Kingdom; thus, a player playing as Egypt, Pergamon, Cappadocia or Judea will want to help Alexandros seize Antiocheia in order to prevent a much-stronger Seleukid Kingdom under Demetrios from steamrolling their own territories in the future. Despite facing a large coalition, I have seen the Seleukid AI win the war fairly quickly, so while it may be challenging at first, the war can certainly be won playing as the Seleukids.

Even if Alexandros wins, however, stability in Syria is not guaranteed. The son of Demetrios I flees to Crete after witnessing the deaths of his father, mother and brother. This Demetrios II will return in the near future to avenge his father and take back the Seleukid throne…

nTT8if4t_V12weWrbNxAjXukZFYJNZywEA4oN4P0GsxYmRmKDdsvdJPm4kSRxTJj5eXlGJfv-bH2ZL8rPvtbzo4OFgCrAeFQPTYA-Ag-7Ok_JH3N2YaD7Hiy54EOuyVqb_98fXG-

I welcome any and all feedback, and I'll continue posting more about the mod soon!

Attachments

• 20220429220034_1.jpg
    20220429220034_1.jpg
    512,5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 13Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Wow! I like it, great job.

Reactions:
Will there be a Steam workshop release?

Parthia, Pergamon and Pontus
Hello again! Now, we'll look at some of the eastern half of the map. First, I’d like to highlight some of the ruling characters in the regions of Persia, the Caucasus, and Anatolia. The main reason I am writing all of these paragraphs is to get an idea of the different starting countries with unique characters and the stories behind them.

Some time in 150 BC or shortly before, the Seleukid Kingdom lost control of the satrapy of Media during its civil war, which allowed the Parthians to swoop in around 150-148 BC to seize Media and then Babylonia.

7iNaFSa8zlZd_hK6y_57YMOtUurGjBS3gS1EAj8SkJ3_uDIeP6VEV6wp6OxgqkCfeOC1XnIpAbWa76GP_wHSTY3Dc9_FciwSbhIp7QkwXCBAvYT14ODRG5TrJ8gEunjUnKRHdk3w

Parthia is led by Mithridates the Great, who has greatly expanded the Parthian kingdom into an empire at the expense of the Seleukid and Bactrian kingdoms, having recently defeated the satrap of Carmania as well as the Bactrian king Eukratides in Margiana. The first Parthian ruler to take the Achaemenid title of King of Kings, Mithridates went on to subjugate Atropatene, Media, Gedrosia, Persis and Babylonia, even capturing the Seleukid king Demetrios II in the process. Thus, Mithridates has very strong stats to reflect his historical achievements, something that Parthia players must take advantage of while the great king still lives.

In Armenia and Anatolia, three families of the Orontid dynasty rule over their own separate kingdoms. In Commagene, King Ptolemaios is the son of the last Orontid King of Armenia, Orontes IV; Ptolemaios is therefore the last direct descendant of the original line of Orontid kings. Thus, Commagene can restore the Orontid Armenian kingdom, though this will be a great challenge for players since they will be flanked on all sides by more powerful kingdoms. Ptolemaios of Commagene also claimed descendance from Darius I of the Achaemenid Empire, and is thus the only ruler at game start to have the Achaemenid bloodline.
1651721759861.png

zsyt3VQCn9jTjF7os4uYBVEsy8lsgGhgWVzQYeCjyrN4d64jj8D2BljyWVdzxke1_sB6GtTGAF0tTwgrDprDbO6m744zdpf7iVkUZUmVXmBqszSownLEfriUWse6WkDCQy4NlLkn

Orontes IV was overthrown by Artaxias I of Armenia in 189 BC, who was another descendant of the Orontids who established his own Artaxias dynasty. His son Artavasdes now rules over the Armenian kingdom in 150 BC. Artavasdes’ brother Tigranes historically succeeded his brother after his death, and an event around 140 BC will trigger the birth of his son, Tigranes II (also known as ‘the Great’). Tigranes the Great would go on to expand Armenia and all but destroy the Seleukid kingdom, and an event chain will allow for the possibility of Tigranes II’s ascension as King of Kings of Armenia.

Ruling Sophene is Artaxias I's nephew Arkathias. Arkathias' grandfather Zariadres was also the father of Artaxias; Zariadres and Artaxias had rebelled against the Seleukids in Sophene, then divided Sophene and Armenia between the father and son. This familial relationship with the king of Armenia gives Sophene a small opinion boost with Armenia at game start.

S2PdOcVOvrj6TIO2nMi_jge5zU3qzEXFuCoIg3yYrgCJffcbHmW40euO7EhnIx-KszQdfy4GQ5Z0Ublp2zxcjz48s-RygSPcX_bdZB44YVbNNOgck9c4DA-L6ewsf2jHPH0jPkkK

Iberia is ruled by Mirvan I, who married into the ruling Pharnavazid dynasty and rules over several royal governors, one of which being the former kingdom of Colchis. While Iberia's mountain passes to the north and south make it a defensible position, it must be wary of an expansionist Armenia to the south, which had already taken much of Iberia’s southern lands around 189 BC. Also, the governor of Colchis, who is rarely ever loyal, is also likely to side with any pretenders to the throne if no actions are taken to appease them.

___

Anatolia is another battleground of powerful kingdoms. The Zipoetid dynasty remains as the rulers of Bithynia. However, the current ruler Prusias II feels threatened by the immense popularity and charisma of his son Nikomedes, and also desires to make his favorite son of another wife the heir to the kingdom instead of Nikomedes - these circumstances may lead to violent relations between the father and son. Furthermore, Bithynia is also surrounded by the more powerful kingdoms of Pergamon and Pontus.

kDB0FSwKQFbcReL98yCSNievBul53SIz2LzarpVYXudfus8riE15HR-j8OnZPh1biewqVmUN9p3z5rqAftAHWrVZXfAr7Gk-jaPxllJvzcEz3vypofYlwslpaPUXK3WmFpx4PKoZ

Even so, Bithynia has the opportunity to expand west towards Thrace, which is ruled by the Odrysians; the Odrysian king of Thrace, Teres, supports the Macedonian pretender Andriskos while barely holding on to a much more decentralized kingdom. The Caeni are independent from the Thracian kingdom at this time, but three other tribes are subject to Thrace.

There is also an influx of Scythians in Thrace, with the Scythian peoples of Scythia Minor starting with their own tag north of the Thracian city states and next to the Getae.

The Kingdom of Pergamon expanded greatly after helping Rome defeat the Seleukids in the Roman-Seleukid War of 192 BC, with much of the Seleukid territory in Anatolia granted to Pergamon by the Romans. Additionally, the Galatians were finally and completely subjugated in the Galatian Wars; although the Galatians were formally under Roman suzerainty, their ally Pergamon has instead acquired the Galatians as a tribal vassal. Of course, a player as the Galatians (and sometimes the AI) may break away from Pergamene rule and continue their conquests in Anatolia. On the other hand, Pergamon will have the option to turn Galatia into a loyal and hardened mercenary state.

If very (very) specific conditions are met, Rome even has the chance to inherit the entire kingdom of Pergamon, as they did historically, when Pergamon is an AI. However, this will almost never happen…

vvlHOtnB73-wFf7FaiSdCGdWVc7Mr3ivdzD6LM9u9HaaNJmebFyGlH-oYg85GR5fs1c36xYYVXVfIhLfoOrHMi1TAMjJLxEKqqtQXxXiEzHlqKbKUdoeASX0KOQj1s3AgrSiORKV

dSu-lGO2saKxynNFe6Kwy2y2t0jyiP6BmqOFLSJuuda6Jc4M_vFprLkBvQWhZ2aDPeiTpRhlBB7tqfTjzqzJj33C4A9SkFuoMy761WENDvEO9Tijyqje-mcAAmSFrb1Qk5gp72t9

Another pro-Roman kingdom in Anatolia is Pontus, ruled by Mithridates V. As one of the more powerful rulers in Anatolia, Mithridates V is married to the Seleukid princess Laodike VI, and their daughter is married to the great king of Cappadocia, Ariarathes V. Many other ruling families during this period have royal marriages with each other, which provides a small opinion boost between the countries at the start of the game, though this opinion modifier quickly decays as tensions rise between the major powers.

RopcGb16INW9WI-e0Jtuzql_6JQRMtP7-FmvqK0qoG-O8EkGwc0EM-m4FJuqC_U-Uw4IY0vlYQ7BSKaeWIsPIVFceuAxZN4TMvqlej9vdB0MXNKr0LGXWdZFFHpZU0HbfKL-QgPx

An event will also trigger the birth of the famed Mithridates VI. It is said that his birth was marked by a bright comet that illuminated the entire night sky, a sure omen of the greatness that was destined for the young Mithridates VI. An event chain will also provide the circumstances for Mithridates VI to ascend as the king of Pontus, though some poison and unnatural deaths may be involved. Mithridates VI will also be blessed with both the Seleukid and Mithridatid bloodlines; an event down the line will even give him a chance to claim the Achaemenid bloodline, as he had claimed that he was descended from Cyrus the Great.

My next post will be about Bactria and India, as well as the lands of the Saka and the Sarmatians.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
What is the triggers for rome inheriting pergamon?

What is the triggers for rome inheriting pergamon?
The event can trigger only when any ruler of Pergamon dies as long as the conditions are met. Having to meet these specific conditions right when the ruler dies is why it never happens unless a player actively tries to meet them. The conditions are:
  1. Rome and Pergamon must not be at war
  2. Either Pergamon has 100+ opinion of Rome OR the ruler who just died is a friend of the consul or co-consul of Rome
  3. Pergamon's ruler who just died either has less than 5 Finesse or has the Submissive or Content traits, and does not have the Proud trait
  4. The ruler of Pergamon is a member of the Attalid family
  5. Attalos II (starting ruler) is dead, and his son Attalos III is either already dead OR is the dying ruler

• 2Like
Reactions:
Does this mod extend the end date at all? This would be a good one to mix with the timeline extension/christianity mod.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does this mod extend the end date at all? This would be a good one to mix with the timeline extension/christianity mod.
The end date is currently extended to December 476 AD, though its a kind of arbitrary date to end on so I might just make it 1000 AD so players can play as long as they want. Although I haven't played to 400s AD yet so I don't know how unstable it may be

• 2Like
Reactions:
Beautiful!

Very interesting and well thought-out concept. I love how you seek to balance all the sides and give every angle a chance of success, even in the face of seemingly overwhelming odds (and historical hindsight). The detail and dedication you put into developing the relevant storylines is truly inspiring.

The major hurdle I see is that you're focussing mostly on the major realms and storylines, and one man can only do so much. The content for the multitude of smaller countries and other regions would be initially neglected and would take a lot of tedious work to flesh out. This is especially important to me, as someone who hates playing big empires and prefers starting as a very small realm and growing organically.

Keep up the great work, and if you don't burn out, this might one day become a staple and popular mod (you even have the catchy acronym CDE going in your favour). I'm certainly looking forward to it. As an artist, I know how fickle the muses of passion and motivation can be, especially when you're working pro bono.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
The major hurdle I see is that you're focussing mostly on the major realms and storylines, and one man can only do so much. The content for the multitude of smaller countries and other regions would be initially neglected and would take a lot of tedious work to flesh out. This is especially important to me, as someone who hates playing big empires and prefers starting as a very small realm and growing organically.
Thanks!

You make a good point that a lot of the smaller countries will have a lot less flavor early on, unfortunately. I prefer playing as the smaller countries too, and there's going to be a lot more of them in regions like India and Greece. Though flavor may be lacking, I hope to at least add a lot of unique heritages and formables for many of the smaller countries. Still, I plan to give quite a bit of flavor like missions and event chains to certain smaller countries at the time like Judea and the Lusitanian tribes in Hispania.

In terms of balance, I'm also thinking about modelling the decline and historical collapse of most of the larger tags (if they are AI) so that map is a bit more dynamic for the smaller tags to play in. And if there's any worries about a steamrolling Rome, players who are small tribal nations neighboring Rome will have the option to submit to Rome as a foederati (a special type of tribal vassal) to play tall, and then break ties when they feel like it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
in Britain you can add these tribes : Catuvellauni, Atrebates, Regnenses, Belgae, Textoverdi, Lopocari, Smertae, Decantae, Selgovae, Lugi, Vacomagi, Creones, Caereni, Novantae, Epidi, Venicones and add tribes in western Ireland.

Last edited:
in Britain you can add these tribes : Catuvellauni, Atrebates, Regnenses, Belgae, Textoverdi, Decantae, Selgovae, Lugi, Vacomagi, Creones, Caereni, Novantae, Epidi, Venicones and add tribes in western Ireland.
Thanks! I've already added Belgae and the western Ireland tribes, so I'll add the others as well

• 2Like
Reactions:
When will you release this mod on Steam ?
I don't really have a set time frame for release right now. I've basically completed the map and the characters, and some of the flavor for major countries. I think I want to get some mission trees as well as other flavor stuff done before I release a sort of "beta" version, and then continually add more flavor events after the release in updates

• 1Like
Reactions: