• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Velho e Bom Joe

An Whole Fool
95 Badges
Feb 15, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
[Mod] Campaign Map - Culturally different cities. (3.25)

Hello All!

This mod changes the buildings at the campaign map to be different according to culture. Eastern European cities will be different of their Western versions. Also, I've modified the Castle, Church and the Mayor's house of the Western culture, as well as the textures of the Muslim buildings.

Currently, there are 9 graphical culture types, 7 being the new ones: Eastern european, Mediterranean European, Persian, Moorish, Turkish, "Pagan" and Byzantine.
All models were in the game, unused, but I retexturized the buildings of the new graphic types.

DOWNLOAD:

Normal and "+compatible"* version:
>>>>>Mediafire<<<<<

Compatibility for specific mods:
>>>>>CK2+ and BLC compatible files<<<<< --Thanks to Glassmage!
If you have CK2+ and BLC, install these files.(NOTE - not updated to the new 1.10 patch!)

*The "+compatible" version has no cultures.txt, so that it can work with other mods (and hopefully future patches). You may want to adjust some cultures to display the correct buildings. You just need to change the "graphicalculture=culturegfx" part. look at an culture with the building you want and copy its culturegfx to the culture you want to modify. If you want more info on how it works , I made an "guide" to edit the mod:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...nt-cities.&p=14702940&viewfull=1#post14702940

INSTALLATION:

Download.
Choose which version you want, and extract its mod folder and .mod to your "mod" folder.
Use the launcher and select the mod at the mod list.
Play and enjoy!

MZRR5.jpg

^^Mediterranean Culture Graphics(1.5)^^

sASrK.jpg

^^Changed Western Buildings(1.5)^^

ZDp0M.jpg

^^Eastern Culture Graphics(1.5)^^

EOQsK.jpg

^^New Muslim buildings(left) and Persian gfx(right)^^

YygmL.jpg

^^Moorish/Maghreb culture group buildings^^

h8yZ1.jpg

^^ Pagans -Finnish and Baltic ^^

00Y4R.png

^^Turks^^

---The Previous screenshots ALL use the "A" Version of the mod---
--In the 1.5 screenshots, I played with "CITY_SPRAWL_AMOUNT = 2" in defines.lua--

FAQ:
Q:Does it has any gameplay effects?
A:I changed only the "graphical culture types" lines of some cultures, at Cultures.txt. I doubt that it changes gameplay, but if you notice anything that shouldn't happen, please tell me!

Q:Is it Historical?
A:Honestly, I don't really know. If something is too anachronistic for the game, tell me and preferably show an reference (an image) so that I can modify it.
Please also tell me what cultures need changing of graphics. I'm not sure what Occitan should use, for example.

Q:Is it compatible with X mod?
A: Depends. I had to change some Culture files, so that Italians could use the new mediterranean buildings, for example. I'm not so sure how CK2 mod system handles mods that modify the same file. I changed lines that I don't think that would be changed by most gameplay mods. if the mod doesn't change culture files or city textures, then it's fine, I think.

Q:Why mediterranean files are called "Soutern"?
A:Yeah, I know it should be Southern (Or Mediterranean), it's just because it should have the same number of characters than "Western", to work(Had to edit the 3D model files via a Hex editor in Notepad++).

Q:Can I use it in my mod?
A: Yes, feel free to use it, but remember to put me in the credits :)

Q:I want to change the size of the buildings, or have more buildings in the map. What file should I modify?
A:To change size, go to interface\Settlements.gfx. open with notepad++(or notepad, not sure if it works), and change it as you like. default is 0.7 for houses and 1.0 for main building, "A" version uses 1.5 for main building and 0.8 for houses. note that there are 3 castles and churches per culture graphics, but only the first is used.
To have more buildings(larger cities), go to defines.lua(also opening with notepad or notepad++) and search for "CITY_SPRAWL_AMOUNT". default is 1, change to whatever you want.

Also, I've yet to play a game until the end (farthest I am is 1300'), so if these "Unused" buildings are actually used later, pardon me. Please tell if they change or not.
I'm still new to packaging the mod and all that. I began making the mod changing the game files directly, not using the mod folder. Please report any problems.

CHANGELOG:
v 3.50
-Updated to 1.10.
-Nothing else :(
v 3.25
-Compatible with the newest patch.
-Turkish buildings updated.
v. 3.00
-New Pagan and Turkish gfx.
-Made an "standalone" version, for those that only use this mod or use other mods that don't touch cultures.

v. "without number"
-made to be compatible with newer patches.
-Probably compatible with a lot of mods, so no need to have different versions.
-no cultures.txt, so it doesn't overwrite other mods etc.
-no new gfx, sorry :(

v 1.75
-YEAH NON LINEAR VERSION NUMBERS.
-Added Byzantine gfx.
-Added compatibility versions for BLC.
-it should be named 2.5, my bad.
v.2.0
-Added Persian and Moorish gfx.
-Retextured Muslim buildings.
-Edited some European buildings to avoid visual glitches.

v.1.5:
-Tweaked Caucasus cultures.(thanks to sirandre for the suggestions)
-Eastern European church now has a cool new copper roof texture handmade by me(shame that specular doesn't quite work as I thought, otherwise it would be shining :-( ).
-Increased western church saturation(thanks to Olaf the Unsure for the suggestion) and made western house roofs more varied.
-Fixed the texture of a eastern european roof.
-Tweaked mediterranean roofs and hopefully fixed that glitching effect on the houses(thanks to Arko for pointing out)
-Version A buildings are slightly smaller-- from 1.5 to 1.3.

v.1.0:
-First Release.
-Eastern European cities.
-Mediterranean Cities.
-Changes to Western and Muslim buildings.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Amazing!

Cool!:D

The mod work great with BGA mod.

I think some culture need tweaking though
1. Greek group (Greek, georgian, armenian, alan) -> easterngfx
2. Bulgaria -> easterngfx

Requesting authorisation to add this to the BGA mod at a later point.
8)

I think some culture need tweaking though
1. Greek group (Greek, georgian, armenian, alan) -> easterngfx
2. Bulgaria -> easterngfx

I'll change Georgian, Armenian and Alan next version.
should Greek use the Eastern gfx? From the images i'm used to see, most houses look more like the mediterranean style than the red brick of eastern europe. Actually, the best would be a byzantinegfx, with a orthodox church, but there is no model that has these domes(perhaps retexture some unused muslim building?)
On Bulgaria, I think they already use the easterngfx no?

Requesting authorisation to add this to the BGA mod at a later point.
8)

No problem. :)

I like it, though I think the A version buildings are a bit too big for my tastes (especially the Western ones). How hard would it be to reduce them a bit? What files need editing? Thanks.

It's easy, actually. In interface\settlements.gfx. There are 3 castles for each culture group, but only the first is used(same for churches). change the size of them, **0.7 is the default**, and in the A version it's 1.5.
**Perhaps something around 1.0 is good.**
actually, 1.0 is the default. ooops.
so between 1.0 and 1.5 is what you want.

Oh, another interesting value that I've modified for personal use is at defines.lua, in the common folder, "CITY_SPRAWL_AMOUNT". you can change it to have more buildings, even putting a 50 and have some huge megalopolis in england :p

I'll put these "files of interest" in the OP.

Last edited:
my knowledge about byzantium architecture is limited. But i see that some old byzantium church and wall also have extensive use of brownish-red brick.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-614...greece-replica-of-the-famous-hagia-sofia.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_'Byzantine_House',_Melnik_1.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43442176@N00/5576913109
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1403/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1403-531.jpg
http://pic.templetons.com/brad/photo/europe/bulgaria/017_17.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1181/538654489_6d2d407b93.jpg

I feel that the mediterranean style in CK2 is too reddish. Therefore using the easterngfx feel more suitable for greek culture group.

It will be great if you can use retextured unused muslim building as orthodox church.

Yes. You are right. Bulgaria are listed in easterngfx. my bad :D

I think I'll do a separate byzantine gfx, looking like a blend of the eastern and mediterranean style. Honestly, I'm not sure if the red roofs are common in medieval times or if it's a renaissance thing, if anyone knows, please tell. I'll see if there's some muslim building that can be retextured decently in a orthodox church. And also do it for the Russians.

Speaking of Muslims, I would like to know if there are differences between, for example, Al-Andalus buildings and Persian buildings. I would like to have more variation in the muslim world too!
also, what should the Cumans use?

Oh and in settlements.gfx, main buildings actually use a 1.0 size as default, my bad. if you want something between the A and B versions, it's somewhere between 1.0 and 1.5 size.

Last edited:
zeQIz.jpg

So I was taking a look at the muslim buildings, to turn them in orthodox churches.
The problem are the Minarets. I don't know if there are anything similar in orthodox churches.
the only alternative is the original muslim castle, perhaps?

Last edited:
Why there are difference in amount of minarets that appear between one settlement with another?

hmm, i think it's better to use mayor house than the castle. But you need to make it bigger.

It looks awesome :eek:hmy:

Going to try it. Thanks.

The difference in minaret amount is because they have different models, for testing purposes I changed the western castle, church and MH to different muslim mosques.

The problem with the muslim buildings as orthodox churches is that their domes don't look like the ones in the churches, and the minarets are simply way too tall for a orthodox church I think. Perhaps the muslim castle (the "vanilla" one or the current one) is the only alternative, and it's not perfect :/

Last edited:
Coolness! Just what I wanted (a tad smaller however - I made the changes already). TYVM! Your work is greatly appreciated!

On a side note, it looks like you forgot the .mod file for the update.

Last edited: