• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

grallonsphere

Colonel
55 Badges
Mar 31, 2006
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
So I'm finally done with version 1.2 of this mod.

It is meant to be integrated with "Bella Gerant Alii" mod. And I usually play with the following mods:

- BGA (2.2c)
- CK2 Heraldry
- HRE Revised Complete
- Cultural Cities mod

It's late so no fancy presentation. The mod is fully functional even though it's limited to Christian flavor for now. It contains:

- a Word 2007 XLSX Index of the changes contained therein;
- a revised static_modifiers.txt file (I modified the base stats of the holdings);
- a revised buildings.txt file;
- a revised technology.txt file;
- a revised minor_titles.txt file (containing mine and Sleight-of-Hand's extra minor titles - although in true Paradox fashion - the description of the new minor titles doesn't work for no apparent reason...);
- a revised landed_titles.txt file (the 'De Jure' borders in France, England, Germany, Italy and Poland were changed);
- a separate buildings.csv localization file (175 unique buildings - not counting the cultural specific ones);
- a modified text1.csv (called grallonsphere.csv) file containing the renamed baronies of Byzantion and Isle-de-France (test counties for the mod) as well as the changes reflecting the new landed titles mentioned above. In time I intend to do with landed titles what I did with buildings: a separate localization file with the redrawn borders of all feudal domains.

-----

So try it out and use it as you please provided you give credit.

G.

Attachments

• Building Revamp Mod v1.2.rar
    1,1 MB · Views: 38
Now that i'm at work, I have more time to expound of the choices I made for this mod. :p

When I began this project I wanted to express three ideas:

- firstly that each holding type should have it's vocation clearly outlined;
- secondly that all three types should be interdependent and as bolster each other;
- finally that there should be a tangible progression in terms of social development as the years go by.

When you look at the Index included you will notice right away how the castle holdings contain many more military structures than the other two types. Similarly the development of urban and ecclesiastical baronies each proceed according to their respective 'mandate': commerce and industry for cities - education and healthcare for church desmenes. That is why, in these last 2 exemples, I have concentrated military structures into one building chain. This of course was before I realized there is no actual limits to the number of buildings each holding can contain. Such is the consequence of fumbling in the dark and having no documentation to base your work on...

The second idea was articulated by expending the number and types of prerequisites used as well as diversifying the effects building types can have. For instance castle holdings can built what I called 'logistical structures' - some of which are roads - which in turn can speed up movement in that territory. Now I don't know if this particular modifier is 'in scope' - again we'll have to wait the fabled modding manual to confirm. I made other structures dependent on rank; a 'Royal Mint' should be commissioned by a monarch and not any countling. Still others demand several technologies before being unlocked.

Finally I found relevant information as to the designation and function of various structures in medieval times, in their respective spheres of activity (education, commerce, engineering, etc), which I then organized in order to show the progressive complexification of society. Think of it as injecting a bit of Civilization into CKII.

Well try it and see how it works for you. I'm always open to comments/criticism.

G.

Last edited:
There is a bug somewhere because coat of arms are wrong. (missing flag probably) - I use no other MOD with it.

I personaly removed the new titles part as it as nothing to do with buildings. You should probably split your mod unless it has another use I'm not aware of.

On buildings part it is really good. I just needed to tweak it to have something in localisation other than "FRENCH" or "GERMAN". (just copied the english column though)

Need to test it further to say about balancing.

I see you are francophone yourself - like me. I left only English since the vast majority play the game in that language. And you're probably right about the extra stuff. "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" after all ;)

G.
just peaking the english stuff and copiing it to the other columns should prevent bad surprises for people playing with another language though. I prefer having some part in english than nothing.

is the minor title peer of France supposed to be granted instantly/automaticly ? or it takes a while or need to meet some requierements ?

(join us on CK francophone ;) )

Is the minor title peer of France supposed to be granted instantly/automatically ? Or it takes a while or need to meet some requirements ?

No as King of France you can bestow it to any of the 6 dukes listed. Hmmm there should be an event chain where those 6 would demand to get their title - and/or plot to have it given to them but I'm not skilled enough to make events.

I've not tried this mod yet, but how did you change the de jure borders of France, England, Germany, Italy and Poland?

I've not tried this mod yet, but how did you change the de jure borders of France, England, Germany, Italy and Poland?

Modded the landed_titles.txt file - moving counties here - eliminating duchies here - using the freed tags elsewhere. Very untidy I know - and harder and harder to keep track of as new versions of parent mods come out. Hence my urge (as with the buildings) to gather all localization data by category. However there's no point reinventing the wheel if others are reworking the map more extensively. There is someone who redid the map of France in depth - I forget his name now - but he added close to 40 new counties. I've been saying forever Paradox should have adopted a numbered tag system (c_01 - c_02, etc) to which you could then add whatever name you want ... It would be much more flexible... Anyhow.

Btw I tested v1.3 with the 'Reality Kings' meta mod and it works fine. There was a problem with the included Gaga.csv file and some building names but I commented out all building related entries in that file and now my localization file works fine.

Sorry I could have worded that question a little better. I don't mean how did you actually do it, but what did you change? For example which duchies are now part of France that weren't before?

I did move Burgundy from Burgundy (kingdom) to France a while ago, as I think it is better suited to being a core French duchy. I also merged Gascogne into Aquitaine, so I've got rid of that.

Ahh I see. Well I eliminated a bunch of the (far too) numerous duchies in Germany and Italy and reused their tags in England. I eliminated the Duchy of Bourbon to reuse as the Duchy of Picardy (which correspond to a long known region comprised of Amiens, Boulogne, Guines - to which I added Artois). I renamed the Duchy of Valois to Francia - to simulate the Royal Domain and give the French king a territorial basis of power.

Since the game mechanics apparently do not allow for vassals to call on their liege when attacked, I kept seeing the counties of Vermandois and Sens being gobled up by Champagne and it annoyed me. So I redrew the 'De Jure' map to provide for more stable borders. I gave Vexin and Chartres to Francia - reduced Orléans to Orléans and Blois. I created a super Auverge comprised of Bourbon, La Marche, Limousin, Auvergne and Gevaudan to counter balance Toulouse in the South, Bourgogne in the north-east and Aquitaine/Gascogne in the west. The next step was to eliminate the duchy of Poitou and re-concentrate all under Gascogne (Bordeaux and southern fiefs) and Aquitaine (north of Bordeaux).

In fact I tried to make more... rational 'De Jure' borders everywhere; concentrating counties together to make blocks more or less of the same size (4-6-7 counties) - in order to help foster the internal stability of each realm. I wish there was an in-game mechanism to change the 'De Jure' borders - like a vote for crown laws...

I like your reasoning, and tend to agree. I think fewer, larger duchies is a better maxim than lots of smaller ones. I had planned to revamp England in the next version of my mod (remove the current 14th-18th century dukedoms and replace them with a handful of larger Anglo-Saxon earldoms like Wessex, Mercia and East Anglia which would be more accurate at the start of the game) but I am seriously considering a similar approach with France. I'm not sure about Germany because I know much less about it -- especially during this period -- but I think reducing it to its ancient stem duchies would be an interesting idea, so I can definitely agree with you that there are too many duchies in Germany at the moment.

With France I'd already made Aquitaine bigger by giving it Gascogne's counties, and moved Foix to Toulouse, so the south of France is split between those and they're two of the largest duchies in Europe but that was my intent. I'm not sure about the north but I like your idea of expanding the Ile-de-France and having another duchy (Picardy) between Flanders and Normandy.

Maybe we could work together on something here? Of course if you are doing a total revamp of everything then I understand, but personally I am interested in re-doing England from the ground up so France and Germany would be logical follow-ups. I'd be happy to help you with anything as I go along -- even if just suggestions.

Oh I tried reducing the ... mushrooming of all these 'science-fiction' kingdoms/empires you see in too many mods. People are looking on the map with history's hindsight - seeing polities that weren't conceivable in the XIth century - when they were barely beginning to have an inkling of a 'national' sentiment.

For England the 2-counties Duchies are more appropriate I think. I had redrawn the borders as such:

- Essex (Essex and Middlesex) - domain of the king
- Norfolk (Norfolk and Suffolk)
- Kent (Kent and Surrey)
- Sussex (Sussex and Winchester)
- Somerset (Somerset and Dorset)
- Cornwall (Cornwall and Devon)
- Gloucester (Gloucester and Hereford)
- Worcester (Worcester and Warwick)
- Bedford (Bedford and Northampton)
- Oxford (Oxford and Wiltshire)
- York (York, Lincoln, Leicester)
- Lancaster (Lancaster, Derby, Chester, Shrewbury)
- Northumberland (Northumberland, Durham, Cumberland, Westmorland)

Well if you wish to keep dukedoms in place of earldoms you ought to stick with those created early on: Cornwall, Lancaster, Clarence, York, Gloucester, Hereford, Exeter, Surrey, Norfolk, Bedford, Somerset, Buckingham, Warwick and Suffolk. These are all 1337 - 1453 (listed in order of creation); there are some more obscure ones (such as duke of Ireland) but those listed here are all based in England. Kent for example is a poor choice as it dates from 1799.

Totally understandable -- I am just saying that Kent and Sussex are very anachronistic as dukedoms.

I'll see what I come up with in the next few days and you can see what you think. Of course it may be no better than whatever setup you are currently using, but I don't think more ideas can hurt. I'm looking at France at the moment -- I do like your idea of merging Auvergne and Bourbon. I think I'll try that.

Okay, this is my first attempt but it seems quite balanced after having moved a few counties around:

xGRV9.jpg

I've merged Bourbon into Auvergne and split Berry between Anjou and Orleans. Of course the borders aren't strictly accurate but they never were anyway -- for example there has never been a proper consensus as to what actually constitutes the borders of Aquitaine, hence the Aquitaine/Guyenne/Gascogne confusion. Personally I like having larger duchies in the south as it feels more realistic and France should have powerful dukes, especially early on. I've moved Auvergne's southernmost province to de jure Toulouse as I looked it up and apparently it was more or less always part of Toulouse, and its count has the duke of Toulouse as his liege anyway. I also gave Champagne another province from Burgundy -- I know their colors are pretty similar but you should be able to see where. I did this because I don't really like small duchies in France and Champagne is better with four rather than three.

I also gave the Vexin to Valois as you suggested. I prefer them having another province and as the Epte is the old border between Normandy and France and the Vexin is to the east of it on the map it looks better too.

So the largest duchies are Aquitaine and Toulouse with eight provinces, Flanders and Brittany with six and Burgundy with five. The others all have four. This should help balance in the region and stop things like the duchy of Berry being endlessly swapped between the counts of Tours and Bourges.

For England the 2-counties Duchies are more appropriate I think. I had redrawn the borders as such:

when modding myself I try avoid peer number of de jure counties in duchies to lessen infinite duchy swap due stupid 50% owned usurp rule.

@ SoH why putting auxerre to Champagne ? it is really out of scope.

Do you plan to modify Dauphiné ? having Lyon and Forez in always bugged me.

the mod with new French provinces is Europa Divisa by Pixies57. (I also work on one myself but with much less new provinces -didn't published it here yet)

Actually I've already given Auxerre back to Burgundy, so my current setup is the same as the above screenshot apart from that.

I haven't looked at the kingdom of Burgundy yet. What do you think needs tweaking with Dauphiné?