[Mod] [BTML] CompanyMechSalvage - Lose your own mechs in campaign and get salvage instead

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Morphyum

Sergeant
68 Badges
Mar 28, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
CompanyMechSalvage
BattleTech mod (using BTML) that let's your own mechs getting destroyed permanently and instead rewards you with partial mech parts.

Requirements
** Warning: Uses the experimental BTML mod loader that might change, come here again to check for updates **
  • install BattleTechModLoader using the instructions here
  • Make sure "DestroyedMechRecoveryChance" is set to 1 in BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants\SimGameConstants.json (Is the default value, so if you haven't changed it it will be 1)
Features
  • Your own mechs can be permanently destroyed when they are damaged to badly.
  • You get rewarded mech parts in the same way you get them from the enemy mechs.
  • Those parts are added to your inventory directly, so you have not to use your salvage points.
  • It is possible to select if losing your head counts as destroyed.
Examples:
One of your Mechs get's it's CT destroyed in a mission. At the end of the mission you will be rewarded one part of that mechtype and your Mech will be removed for your bay.
One of your Mechs get's both it's legs destroyed in a mission. At the end of the mission you will be rewarded two part of that mechtype and your Mech will be removed for your bay.
You punch out because you are scared to lose your pilot, therefore your head gets destroyed. At the end of the mission you will be rewarded two part of that mechtype and your Mech will be removed for your bay.

Settings
There are also currently 2 configuration settings available:

RecoveryChance - float - default 0 - set this to anything between 0 and 1 to set a chance that your mechs will be not destroyed even when they lose a vital part. 0 = 0%, 1 = 100%
DestroyedWithHead - boolean - default true - set this to false if you don't want to count a destroyed head(f.e. punching out) as a reason to getting your mech destroyed.

Download
Downloads can be found on github.

Install
  • After installing BTML, put everything into \BATTLETECH\mods\ folder and launch the game.
  • In \BATTLETECH\mods\CompanyMechSalvage you will find the settings.json in which you can change the settings.

@Morphyum

Re: RecoveryChance. Is that rolled per part of our mech that is destroyed? So say I lose an arm on a mech, triggering an ammo explosion in the adjacent torso piece which is then blown off. Will RecoveryChance be rolled for each destroyed component? I picked that scenario in particular because it's two pieces being destroyed sequentially due to the same action - potentially different than losing a leg on round 5, and an arm on round 7. Speaking of, I assume RecoveryChance is rolled once for each of those losses as well, right?

edit: oh, by 'vital part', do you mean CT, 2x legs and head only? Also, CT kills have yielded me 2 pieces of salvage iirc. It would be nice for us to specify how much of our own mech is salvaged for the different types of kills (CT blowout, kneecapped, head shot).

How does this mod handle games with an edited simGameConstants so DefaultMechPartMax is some number other than three? I changed mine to four; lots of people use five... Does this mod give a proportional number of chassis pieces, or is it a fixed number?

Cool, I'll probably use this for my next campaign. (I just lost a story mission for the first time, so my unofficial iron man campaign is done. I might still go through to the end just to see how the story unfolds... haven't decided yet.)

One option that I'd like is to have the mech considered repairable after all if the parts from it will put you over the threshold for the number of salvage parts needed to make a new mech of that variant, but it consumes the parts. That fits better with my internal explanation of how partial mech salvage works. At some point, I may take a look at the source and see if I can figure out how to do that myself... but if you like the idea, you might be able to implement it faster.

This is a really good idea. I am running with the modification to allow a percentage chance for the mech to be lost if cored. This is a great way to supplement that.

I personally think that losing the head shouldn't cause the mech to be turned into salvage. It makes it much more painful to eject the pilot, plus blowing off a head is the traditional way to pick up a complete mech anyways!

Interesting. Looking at the architecture of your mod, this is the first mod I have seen like this. Instead of providing SimGameConstants.json, you make a file that modifies it instead and inserts your own value. Or does it just look at the original value and use your settings.json value to pass into the .dll?