• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Even if I've never played D&D before, I would love to help you with this mod (tne universe seems great and I have to test my new modding skills)
unfortunately I'm afraid I can't, I lack of time and my personal mod is going through lot of issues :sad:
so, good luck with that I hope you'll succeed, if you make it I'll give it a try !

Many thanks Jon for your continued assistance! I'll give it a go today, and see if I run into any issues - hopefully it'll work in the first runthrough! I just need to make all those other map files first that you mentioned earlier, and possibly add a few lake provinces :)

Oh, and sorry Korbah - my understanding was that it was other CK II forums we were not allowed to link to, not sites that had forums in general. As for the dndclassics link, fair enough, we don't want the forum spammed with "buy this, buy that" links after all! I'll try and find some other links that describe the Birthright setting but without forums and without being commercial and post them as needed.

And thanks for the support Yvanoff, I'm *hoping* that this mod can be created relatively quickly (weeks, not months) at least on a basic level functional level without an indepth magic system or many custom events, but that may be overly optimistic :b

Truly an awesome tool, Jon, it worked like a charm! It was shocking to see a landed_titles.txt and all the history files generated automatically, and so easily :D

The map crashes on the very last stage of "loading graphics" however, right before the map is supposed to pop up. Sent you a friend request on Steam, I'm hoping you'll be willing to help me find out what could be wrong. I tried searching the map mod thread, but there didn't appear to be much information on that crash there...

Truly an awesome tool, Jon, it worked like a charm! It was shocking to see a landed_titles.txt and all the history files generated automatically, and so easily :D

The map crashes on the very last stage of "loading graphics" however, right before the map is supposed to pop up. Sent you a friend request on Steam, I'm hoping you'll be willing to help me find out what could be wrong. I tried searching the map mod thread, but there didn't appear to be much information on that crash there...

Is your adjacencies file in place? Does it load up in the Scenario Editor?

Is your adjacencies file in place? Does it load up in the Scenario Editor?

My adjacencies file looks like this:

From;To;Type;Through;-1;-1;-1;-1;Comment
867;868;portage;141;-1;-1;-1;-1;Lovat-Dwina
-1;-1;;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1

The From and To are both adjacent ocean provinces, that then go through an adjacent land province (Basically it's not supposed to be a real portage, I just wanted something quick so I could see if the map worked). I'm using the vanilla versions of the terrainmaps, heightmaps, rivers, etc however, since my map is the same dimensions. Probably a stupid question.. but... could this be the reason?

I also haven't defined any dds files, I just mainly copied the vanilla map folder and I assume they're in there?

The scenario editor I can't get to load the mod, it loads the vanilla map only. The config is as follows:

#maindir = "F:\Crusader Kings II 1.08"
#maindir = "H:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II"
maindir = "C:\games\Crusader Kings II"
gameversion=ck2
moddir = "Birthright"
#moddir = "ElderKings"
#moddir = "Lux Invicta"
#moddir = "Britannia"
#moddir = "A Game of Thrones"
#moddir = "Umbra Spherae"

I tried making the moddir the full documents/etc path, but that didn't seem to help either.

Hmm, weird, I followed the link in your sig and downloaded CK2 Scenario Editor 0.2.R2.zip - I don't see any other links on the first post at http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?686024-TOOL-CK2-Scenario-Editor ?

A'ight. Maybe the bundled config file isn't the right one. Just use those three properties I was talking about (and which are explained in the OP of that thread). R3 will be released in the near future. Not many changes, only the reloading of history files is improved -> changing them in the editor actually changes the map.

You should stick a big "river" ocean zone heading up to Endier so it can be a merchant republic like it probably ought to be.

I was also working on one of these a long time ago. Good luck with it.

You should stick a big "river" ocean zone heading up to Endier so it can be a merchant republic like it probably ought to be.

I was also working on one of these a long time ago. Good luck with it.

Yes, already made that navigable river province (the only one so far in the mod too!).

And ladies and gentleman... it's ugly as sin (until I get rid of that europe outline) ... but... we have a functional map :D

v1TQDKr.jpg

It comes complete with 840 provinces, de jure set-up of titles, baronies (both built and unbuilt), and culture/religion set-up in history/provinces. Now I have to get to work on building a basic functional skeleton, and then I'll start asking for help to fill in all the details :)

A view of the culture map of Cerilia. As you can see, while humans (Anuireans/English, Rjurik/Vikings, Khinasi/Arab, Brecht/German, Vos/Russian) have taken most of the land, there are still several remaining Elven Realms deep inside the great forests. There are also strong orog (orcish) and goblin realms, in addition to a region inhabited by giants. Halflings also have a presence, and there are 4 dwarf-realms, though one is actually a conquered vassal under the Gorgon, one of the most powerful evil rulers.

This is a time of turmoil - and also great potential in the continent of Cerilia. Having recovered and stabilized somewhat after the death of hte last Emperor, Michael Roele (slain by the Gorgon, incidentally) the Anuireans have stabilized into a dozen or two Duchies. Avanil and Boureuine are the two most powerful of these, and can claim descent from the Imperial Line of the Roeles themselves - should either one defeat the other, it is likely that the rest of Anuire will fall behind them and re-form the Anuirean Empire. Should this happen, the Brecht, Rjurik, and Khinasi will have to beware - the last time Anuire was united under an Emperor, it went on to subjugate most of the continent!

Meanwhile the elves have also stabilized their borders. No human sets foot in most of the elf realms, and being an immortal people, they patiently await the opportunity to take back what is theirs. Either by intrigue and subterfuge (inserting half-elves into positions of power, as they have done in a few realms already), or by open force (The Ghealle Siedhe - the hunt of the elves) they have not given up on restoring themselves as the primary rulers of Cerilia. Though they cannot match humans in sheer numbers, they are still the undisputed masters of warfare in their deep forests, and no longer will they flee or hide from the human encroachers. Lines have been drawn around their diminished realms - this far, and no further, will they retreat.

And always the Awsheighleen (those corrupted by the Blood Powers of Azrai, the original evil god) plot for supremacy as well. The Gorgon prepares his armies to roll over Anuire, and in the North the White Witch plots to gain pre-eminence of the Rjurik. In the far East, the Raven and the Magian are training their armies for war also. Other Awnsheighleen of lesser power also wield more subtle plots, and The Serpent on his island south of the Khinasi lands has reached such power that he can grant his priests clerical spells directly - will the Serpent Priests spread their word over the vast deserts and plains of Khinasi?

The land holds its breath - it is the calm before a great storm, and in the end, only the greatest of rulers are destined to meet at the end of a narrow road... the end at which, ultimately, only one can remain undisputed master of Cerilia :ninja:

Last edited:
Nice work. Will you handle class/bloodline/level via traits?

I've made the bloodlines and blood powers already, and yes, they're done via traits :)

The existing Awnsheighleen will also have custom traits, plus a generic "bloodform" one for whichever new ones may arise from Azrai's legacy.

As for classes, I think it'll be something along the lines of Elder Kings - Expert Warrior, Novice Mage, Master Paladin, Legendary Ranger, Amateur Rogue etc, etc. Not levels per se, just maybe 4-5 different variations for each class. Amateur/Novice/Expert/Master/Legendary perhaps.

And so far it's progressing very very nicely. Elf/dwarf/hobbit/orc portraits from Lonhaldar (Middle-Earth Project) have been implemented, I've made the inheritance events for the bloodlines, and also the assignment of bloodline powers (though these events are likely to need more attention later). Though the map isn't pretty by any means, it's fully functional. I hope we'll have it up and running in record time, considering the vast progress that's already been made in under 2 weeks.

very nice very fucking nice. I hope there is a lot of culture specific units and buildings along with a lot of unique events for people to deal with as well as a bunch of new plots and what not. looking forward to this mod.

very nice very fucking nice. I hope there is a lot of culture specific units and buildings along with a lot of unique events for people to deal with as well as a bunch of new plots and what not. looking forward to this mod.

Just say you want a semi-perfect immersion in this total-conversion mod:happy:

Hehe, yeah, obviously it will not be perfect at start :) But the beauty of the Birthright setting is that it is so open-ended, and scripting both generic and specific event-chains is going to be lots of fun!

There'll definitely be culture specific units/retinues, as for buildings, the vanilla ones will probably be alright for a first release. If anyone has suggestions for Birthright/D&D custom buildings, I'd be glad to hear 'em.

Perhaps it's time for a mini Dev-Diary.

Since I just got them working (the unique portraits for them, that is) it seems like a good time to introduce the major adversaries in the Birthright mod - the Awnsheighleen.

At a great battle some 1500 years ago, the gods of good faced the god of evil (Azrai) and the final showdown with most of the armies of the world assembled beneath their respective banners, the gods ended up destroying themselves. Those closest to the explosion of divine energy (usually the Champions of their respective Gods) became elevated to godhood in turn, while those further away, gained lesser doses of divine energy. The blood of Azrai is tricky, however, in that it corrupts whoever carries it when they use their bloodline powers. Some got lucky in how they ended up appearing... others... not-so-much!

As an example, let us introduce one of the principal Awnsheighleen of Cerilia - the Gorgon. Older brother of Haelyn (who ascended to Godhood) and Roele (who became Emperor) he was a little mad that his bastard-birth made his brothers reap all the fame and glory. So he fought alongside Azrai in the final battle 1500 years ago, and this is how he has turned out:

VXKq3pf.jpg

He allegedly spawned a whole lot of children over the centuries, and they in turn spawned dark offspring, but only two are at his side at present (until I decide to make more, basically :p )

bQEISal.png

Next in power - at least in divine power - if not in troop numbers is "The Serpent". He has absorbed so much godly power, that he can grant spells to his own priests directly, and his cult "The Sons of the Serpent" prepare to take the lands of Khinasi by storm. He is also the only Awnsheighleen (besides the Lahmia) who is arrogant enough to have founded their own religion.

VCdWsGk.png

While speaking of powerful bloodlines of Azrai - we cannot leave out Rhuobhe Manslayer. An elf who has sworn to destroy every single human encroacher on the ancestral elven continent, he holds a major pass between two of the largest realms of Anuire - Avanil and Boeruine. It is a testament to his power and strength of will, that even with just 1000 or so elves who have remained with him over the centuries, he still stands in his Dark Tower, plotting the destruction of mankind!

dED2lIc.jpg

In a somewhat similar situation is the ancient Goblin-King Tal-Qazar, now known as "The Spider". He was once a great king in southern Anuire, but as the humans began to take land, he was driven into the dark depths of the wood known now as Spiderfell. There he waits patiently, spinning his plots, but he has been grossly transformed by the dark taint of Azrai's blood. In form, not just in name, he is actually a giant spider-thing now:

QMio9em.png

Outside of Anuire, in Vosgaard, one of the few Awnsheighleen who may rival the Gorgon in power is known simply as "The Raven". He is a warlord, leading a fierce warrior-people, and though recently having acquired land, there is no doubt that he has both the will and means to become a major power in the North-East of Cerilia:

FcPXPJq.jpg

He has forged an alliance with a lesser awnsheighleen, known as the "Lahmia", and there are rumors that they plan to crush the small elven realm of Cwmbhein which lies between them:

iZTQiDL.jpg

The Lahmia is not considered amongst the more dangerous Awnsheighleen, as she cares mostly about securing luxuries and pretty things for herself - but she does have a "charm gaze" blood line power which can more or less permanently enslave any man she looks at. Thus, she has an army of fanatics at her disposal, and even her own "religion" that she seeks to spread.

Of greater concern in the eastern regions of Khinasi by far, however, is the Magian. A lich of incredible power, some say that the smart money says that it is either going to be him, The Raven, or the Gorgon which might end up conquering Anuire if any Awnsheighleen ever does:

75i8Svf.png

And finally, up in the High North, the Rjurik have to contend with the schemes of the "White Witch". Once a rjurik princess, the taint of azrai within her blood caused her to begin aging at a rapid rate - in return for eternal youth, she struck a deal with the priesthood of Kriesha, cruel goddess of winter. She has already killed her uncle and taken his realm, and now - though she seems to be content within her borders - rumors of war and other intrigues always come out of Gandvick to passing traders:

oPoYnH2.png

The aim is to eventually make custom events for all of these characters, as each rule in a unique way and there are so many stories that one can craft around each one. It won't be anything as scripted as the War of the Ring, but I do want generic events to make sure that rulers are aware of - and fear - the monsters ruling realms nearby :)

PS: Updated the front page/first post also.

Time for a preview of the magic system.

While permission has been granted to adapt the 0.1.4 magic system from Elderkings once they release 0.1.5, there is another type of magic in the Birthright setting which will have to be built from scratch: Realm Magic. Due to many rulers having greater of lesser amounts of actual divine power flowing through their veins, they are capable of harnessing the power of the land that they rule to cast spells on a province-level, or even an entire region! They are also able to amplify the power of their combat spells, and summon free upkeep units.

Here's how the Realm Magic system works on a basic level:

-Piety is now called "Regency", which represents the amount of stored divine/rulership power in an individual
-Tainted bloodline traits, will give 0.2 regency per month, while the greater bloodline traits give 0.8
-You can build province level buildings called "source holdings" to gain more regency, if you are a mage or a sorcerer or have a court mage/sorcerer (given via minor title)
-Priests with a bloodline trait gain regency from their temple holdings
-If you are not a mage/sorcerer/priest yourself, you can give regency via a decision to your court priest/mage/sorcerer so that they can cast realm magic on your behalf

It's still a work-in-progress, but here is how it plays out in-game so far:

I m playing as the Gorgon, who is a master-level mage. A religious CB will cost 500 piety/regency, but I'll just give myself 5000 regency and gold via the cheat console to get this demonstration going!

Via decision there are so far 2 types of Arcane Realm Magic you can open. This is the "normal" one, which can be used for non-war purposes.

NNwuSfc.png

As you can see, though more features will be added later, so far you can cast an alchemy spell (converting 100 regency/piety to 25 gold), summon units, or ward your provinces against enemy spellcaster attacks. Here is the summon menu:

9BJ18BE.jpg

With the Rajas of India DLC we'll be able to make special unit types, but so far zombies are light infantry, skeletons are heavy infantry, skeleton cavalry is light cavalry, and lesser daemons are horse archers. Each come in sizes of 100, and have varying costs in gold, ranging from 20 to zombies, to 75 for lesser daemons.

You'll also note that the Gorgon gains the trait "casting_realm_magic" - preparing spells of such power take a lot of time and concentration, in the case of summonings, it will take a full 30 days, in which a regent will have to be appointed to handle the day to day affairs of state, in this case, my brutish son takes over, which is a slight problem since he is an imbecile and has 0 stats in everything, except martial which is 25!

5JwLRWK.jpg

Thankfully, the Gorgons stats are so high that even distracted with spellcasting, he still has enough stats left to handle the most pressing concerns:

eXsAobw.png

But yes, now to war magic - I declare war on the elves, and open up the Arcane War Magic Menu:

Vgj056o.jpg

You can prepare direct-damage spells, but so far only lightning storms are implemented however. Depending on your skill, you will then get either a novice, trained, master, or legendary version of the spell. Novice levels give 10% damage to all opposing units, while a legendary lightning storm gives 40%! Once the spell is prepared, it comes in via trait-form, and stays with you until you unleash it. So be careful of attacking a realm with many spellcasters... though their armies may be few, if those mages or sorcerers are commanders they may unleash their magical powers to even the odds.

Province subversion spells are even more powerful, however. A novice or a trained magic-user will be able to cast either a plague or a subversion spell on their enemies. AI's will target a random province, but for a player you can select one by sending your spymaster to build a spy-network in an enemy province and target the effects on his location. If you are a master or legendary level spellcaster, you can target an entire region - a single province, plus all the surrounding ones. As I am the Gorgon, I will start my assault on the elves by casting a giant plague on them!

ztH9AAp.jpg

JpmAfyG.png

ETSae4L.png

Ahh, yes, that'll show them what's what... now, I'll just march in, and...

What? They have retaliated! Their Prince, Fhileraene, while not a master mage like myself is nonetheless trained in the arcane arts. He has cast an insurgency spell on one of my provinces:

m1oxCab.png

And well, that more or less shows how it will work in-game. There is a meta-strategy layer now, as you prepare to ward your provinces against these spells, dispel enemy effects, and have to wisely weigh the balance against using your regency/piety points to summon units or prepare damage spells, while still keeping enough in reserve to dispel enemy province-level spells which at this point can either cause 5-year plagues, or 2-year periods of increased revolt risk. Elves will probably also have some special defensive magic can be used in forested provinces, to give them a defensive edge against their more numerous enemies.

But wait, aren't spellcasters vastly overpowered then? Yes, they are, but this is how D&D works. High level mages *are* overpowered, especially if they are rulers of a realm with vast resources at their command. Thankfully, due to JasperClays better Congenital Traits mod, we have a way of making them very rare. In the Birthright mod, you can choose to take for yourself, or educate your children, in an "adventurer class": Fighter, priest, mage, rogue, bard, ranger, or (sorcerer, but more on this in a bit).

Anyone can become an amateur mage, but to become a novice mage, at the very least you need the trait intelligence trait "bright". Trained mages need to be "smart", master mages need to be "quick/brilliant", and legendary mages need to have the genius trait. You can train for as many years as you want and go on as many quests as you like, but if you are not smart enough, you will not advance to the next level of the mage class.

Sorcerers work a little differently; their magic is based on inherent power, not intelligence. However, you will need to be descended from a sorcerer to be able to BE a sorcerer, and not all descendants have the magic power in their blood.

Thus, while extremely powerful, mages will also be quite rare. Also, at lower levels, in duels, mages will be outmatched by the fighter classes so will tend to die frequently if leading armies and fighting one on one battles. It is only at the master/legendary level that mages and sorcerers truly come into their own vs the other classes.

I'll also make some kind of "craft magical item" decision available for high level spellcasters and priests. Want an amulet of immortality for your aging arch-mage ruler? If you have enough gold and regency/piety, that might just be possible... or else there is always the path of Lichdom, though your subjects will of course disapprove!

Last edited:
Excellent Job Blood Royal! Impressive undertaking. I played Birthright D&D (as a DM) for many years...long ago. What a great game and your right, CK II is a perfect fit. I have lurked on the edges of this community for years, yet this is a project I would love to see succeed.

I have 0 modding skills, but a hard copy of all things Birthright combined with experience and a good memory for a near encyclopedic background on Aebrynis. I would love to help with characters and eventually event files. Please let me know how I can help.

I have an idea; the Sierra On-Line game: Birthright- The Gorgons Alliance was a fun game, yet the coolest thing was going into dungeons for general loot, yet each one had a unique item that helped you in the game somehow. I am sure that list of items can be found where we can't link here. I wonder if we could use those items as potential "go on a pilgrimage" type events, that nets you that magic item?

Just thinking out loud. Would be glad to help in whatever way I can. Thanks again.