• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great mod but I found one bug - the mean time to happen to kill random province lord (both for the Duke level and above and Baron level events) is 1 month and the proper 50 years MTTH is blocked out (I assume you used this in testing and forgot to change it back). Otherwise really good work, thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Great mod but I found one bug - the mean time to happen to kill random province lord (both for the Duke level and above and Baron level events) is 1 month and the proper 50 years MTTH is blocked out (I assume you used this in testing and forgot to change it back). Otherwise really good work, thanks a lot!
Ouch. You`re right. I dont know how I managed not to change it back. Corrected version is uploaded.

Doubtless I'm doing something wrong, but I'm new at this and could use some guidance. I've downloaded and installed the mod, but it does not appear in the mod portion of my game launcher screen - that box is a white blank. My game is registered (bought through GamersGate) and the filepath I've attempted is C: > Program Files 9x86) > Paradox Interactive > Crusader Kings II > mod > Better Rebels v0.4. (I also tried it with a My Documents > Paradox Interactive > Crusader Kings II path, but it didn't work there either) Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

(And, obviously, I agree that constant massive peasant rebellions are ridiculous and unfun - if Paradox doesn't want people to be able to control a province not directly connected to their capital, then why not disallow it entirely, rather than 'tricking' people into trying something that will turn out to be so fruitlessly, game-wreckingly pointless due to a hamhanded 'you can't do that, really' system?)

Doubtless I'm doing something wrong, but I'm new at this and could use some guidance. I've downloaded and installed the mod, but it does not appear in the mod portion of my game launcher screen - that box is a white blank. My game is registered (bought through GamersGate) and the filepath I've attempted is C: > Program Files 9x86) > Paradox Interactive > Crusader Kings II > mod > Better Rebels v0.4. (I also tried it with a My Documents > Paradox Interactive > Crusader Kings II path, but it didn't work there either) Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

(And, obviously, I agree that constant massive peasant rebellions are ridiculous and unfun - if Paradox doesn't want people to be able to control a province not directly connected to their capital, then why not disallow it entirely, rather than 'tricking' people into trying something that will turn out to be so fruitlessly, game-wreckingly pointless due to a hamhanded 'you can't do that, really' system?)
Are you sure you placed "Better rebels.mod" file in your "Crusader Kings II > mod" folder?

Thank you - that was fast! This may have been where I went astray, but I'm really not sure - the only contents of my Crusader Kings II > mod folder are a folder entitled Better Rebels v.04 (which in turn contains folders entitled 'common', 'events,' and 'localisation') and a text document titled 'dummy'. Does the mod require more unpacking than I've done, or have I simply put something in the wrong place? This is the first mod for CKII I've attempted to install, so thank you for bearing with me.

Thank you - that was fast! This may have been where I went astray, but I'm really not sure - the only contents of my Crusader Kings II > mod folder are a folder entitled Better Rebels v.04 (which in turn contains folders entitled 'common', 'events,' and 'localisation') and a text document titled 'dummy'. Does the mod require more unpacking than I've done, or have I simply put something in the wrong place? This is the first mod for CKII I've attempted to install, so thank you for bearing with me.
To install mod you place mod folder ("Better rebels v0.4b") and mod-file ("Better Rebels.mod") to "Crusader Kings II\mod" folder.

I'm sorry to bother, but am i right if i think that this mod prevents all those annoying little peasent rebels from spawning, and in turn introduces these modifiers and eventuelle spawns larger stocks of rebels?

I'm sorry to bother, but am i right if i think that this mod prevents all those annoying little peasent rebels from spawning, and in turn introduces these modifiers and eventuelle spawns larger stocks of rebels?

From what I understand.. there are NO spawns.

I am curious in this mod as well. The Rebel spawns are annoying but usually put down by an army. I am waiting for a way to reduce the revolts effects once in progress.

The creator explained a bit further down in the first page:

Let me explain how this mod works.
Every time game engine thinks it`s time for a new revolt, instead of spawning rebels, province gets a modifier representing rebellious peasants activity. If there is revolt already, it gets stronger.
There are currently 4 levels of revolt activity: peaceful province (no modifiers), minor revolt, serious revolt and massive revolt. Obviously, every next level is harsher and has more chances of something bad happening - like peasants killing characters and so on.
Every level of revolt activity also lowers revolt risk - if initial RR is low, you will have only a minor revolt for some time and after that province will get back to peaceful state. With high initial revolt risk you have a chance to get devastating Massive revolt modifiers.

Current modifiers are the following:
Minor revolt: -20% tax, -10% levy, -2% revolt risk
Serious revolt: -20% tax, -20% levy, -3% revolt risk and all maluses from minor revolt
Massive revolt: -40% tax, -50% levy, -1000% revolt risk and all maluses from previous modifiers

As you can see, no spawns, but modifers instead... Makes it way more realistic for that time period in my opinion...

What about if you raise a levie and move it to the province with rebels it slowly lowers the rebel activity with perhaps a small chance of only making them angrier. I'm thinking that with a large army you should have some possibility to fight the rebels.

What about if you raise a levie and move it to the province with rebels it slowly lowers the rebel activity with perhaps a small chance of only making them angrier. I'm thinking that with a large army you should have some possibility to fight the rebels.
The problem with something like that is getting the AI to understand it. It understands sending the Marshall to lower revolt risk.

The mod looks great. This really is a better way to handle rebels IMO.

A couple concerns:
  1. Since this removes the mechanic of provinces defecting to rebels, it may lead to some problems with the AI holding over-extended realms/demesnes. I'm worried that the AI will end up keeping provinces that it would be better off just getting rid of. In vanilla, the rebel system makes it possible for these provinces to just defect.
  2. While I think this is a great way to represent most rebel activity, I think it a shame to get rid of actual rebel units altogether. Aside from just wanting to use all the mechanics we have, rebels as modifiers doesn't provide as immediate a threat as rebels troops do. In vanilla, if a large rebel stack appears in the middle of a war, you may need to turn your troops around and go home to face it right away. With modifiers that's not the case. If you've already raised the levies from that province, the appearance of rebels there isn't going to be a pressing concern.
Anyway, with those concerns in mind, I'd propose tweaking the system, so that in most cases, rebels are treated as modifiers, but in some circumstances they appear as troops. For example, if you're at war or the province is isolated, a revolt would have a chance of directly triggering an uprising rather than a modifier. Or in provinces with rebel modifiers there could be occasional random events that let you choose between paying the rebels a bribe, having the revolt modifier increase, or creating a rebel army. That way you'd get rid of 90% of the rebels and solve the whack-a-mole problem, but would completely remove the mechanic of rebel troops from the game.

Since this removes the mechanic of provinces defecting to rebels, it may lead to some problems with the AI holding over-extended realms/demesnes. I'm worried that the AI will end up keeping provinces that it would be better off just getting rid of. In vanilla, the rebel system makes it possible for these provinces to just defect.
In this mnod if province has "Massive revolt" modifier for some time, it can defect just like in vanilla. And isolated provinces have increased revolt risk.
While I think this is a great way to represent most rebel activity, I think it a shame to get rid of actual rebel units altogether. Aside from just wanting to use all the mechanics we have, rebels as modifiers doesn't provide as immediate a threat as rebels troops do. In vanilla, if a large rebel stack appears in the middle of a war, you may need to turn your troops around and go home to face it right away. With modifiers that's not the case. If you've already raised the levies from that province, the appearance of rebels there isn't going to be a pressing concern.

Anyway, with those concerns in mind, I'd propose tweaking the system, so that in most cases, rebels are treated as modifiers, but in some circumstances they appear as troops. For example, if you're at war or the province is isolated, a revolt would have a chance of directly triggering an uprising rather than a modifier. Or in provinces with rebel modifiers there could be occasional random events that let you choose between paying the rebels a bribe, having the revolt modifier increase, or creating a rebel army. That way you'd get rid of 90% of the rebels and solve the whack-a-mole problem, but would completely remove the mechanic of rebel troops from the game.
These are good ideas. Can you explain exact conditions when you`d like rebel stacks to spawn?

I am playing a game with another mod.I can put the files on the mod folder and continue playing my last game?
I don't want to restart the whole game but I can't stand the rebels everytime.

I wouldn't really like to see rebel stacks, I would prefer more events, for example some that effect laws (lowering tax and levy obligations), (temporary) capture of a city, negotiating to transfer ownership of a province etc.

I'm curious about the relations boost liege lords gain from putting down revolts in a vassal's realm. Am I right in assuming that, even with negotiation events and the marshal, those bonuses no longer apply?
Yes, these bonuses no longer apply.
In newly conquered provinces you already get no levy or tax so these modifiers won't really hurt you. Or am I missing something?
Yes, modifiers will not hurt you. But revolting peasants can kill characters and burn buildings. :)