• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(458565)

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Feb 27, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
What began as an experiment of sorts has become an impassioned effort to adapt as much of Shaytana (the Great)'s BLC to our current build of Crusader Kings II as our computers will allow.

yRw0ppw.jpg

Featured above from left to right: Byzantine emperor in martial headgear, Norman duke in martial headgear, Byzantine duke in martial headgear, Byzantine duke, Byzantine noble.

*Due to issues of memory strain, I will only be increasing the headgear and clothing of cultures by 3 and 4 frames, respectively.

UmJhsrd.jpg

Remember that scandalous shoulder slip that Mediterranean men were infamous for? I sat down them in the fitting room and corrected it.

Release is pending permission of author (where I can, I'm simply borrowing Shaytana's work, but there will be original content, e.g., the purple vested armor of the Byzantine emperor), bug testing, and ambition. Thanks go out to Velorian for teaching me how to save a .DDS file in Photoshop (who only a couple days ago I was pestering to release his Modified Mediterraneans).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE v0.4 - 03/10/2013

Better Looking Garbs 0.4

vMC8rJc.jpg

UbWKyQ4.jpg

Xy2ShQH.jpg

kDYr7DB.jpg

1) Levantine/Persian, Andalusian, Maghreb, Egyptian and Turkish all have distinctive headgear and clothing.
2) Iberians, Italians, Franks, Germans, and Normans all have distinctive headgear and clothing.
3) All cultures have military headgear that has three ranks (duke/count, king, emperor).
4) All DLC portraits feature at least two clothing from BLC as well. Byzantines no longer have exposed shoulders.
5) Includes Modified Mediterraneans/Modified Arabs and Cultures and Portraits Revamp.

*REQUIRES all DLC Portraits.

Installation:
1.) Extract Better Looking Garbs.mod and its folder to your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod folder
2.) Choose your appropriate Compatch and copy its contents into your Better Looking Garbs folder.

2a. If you play with PB + any version of VIET (*but you do not play with SWMH*), choose the "PB + VIET" compatch.
2b. If you play with Project Balance only (i.e., no VIET, no SWMH), choose the "Project Balance (PB)" compatch.
2c. If you play with "SWMH" or "SWMH + VIET", choose the "SWMH" compatch.
2d. If you play with "PB + SWMH" or "PB + SWMH + VIET", choose the "PB+SWMH" compatch.
2e. If you play with "CK++" or "CK++ and VIET", choose the "CK++" compatch.
2f. If you play with Vanilla, no chocolate chips or culture mods of any kind, choose the "Vanilla" compatch.

3.) Launch the game, hope nothing crashes. Success!

Last edited:
By author do you mean richvh? He's not been online for a month, so you may want to ask the 'custodians' of Lux Invicta. Excellent initiative by the way!
it's "Regency Council" :p

that said, you might want to post in the LI forums anyway to ask the rest of us, but I personally don't mind since we have an updated submod build of BLC (that only works for LI due to culture files not being similar [for obvious reasons ^_^ ] ) and can't really expend much effort on maintaining BLC itself for vanilla right now.

well that said, would it be an acceptable exchange if we end up borrowing elements from your eventual updates for BLG in our BLC copy? You know, since you're borrowing the BLC mod as a base, we might as well use your future updates to update our LI-BLC build. Parallel development and all that? :p

you really need to clean up your PM space before sending others PM's you know :p

still, since I'll need to leave soon:
Pnutmaster said:
Hey,

Insofar as you are a one of the Successor Kings of Shaytana Megos, can I have your permission to rerelease some of his work in my WIP Portrait mod?

... whaaaaaatt????
:rofl:

it's ... "First Councilor of the Regency for the Light" mind you.
:rofl:

kidding aside, I did post on your BLG thread, so... :p

to summarize and rephrase it: in exchange for you making BLG, a successor mod for BLC, we request the right to use elements of your updates for our own LI-BLC module, itself another successor (sub)mod for BLC :p

Last edited:
...Hey guys! I finished. Blame Rome II for taking up my modding time for the last week. Also, don't buy that game.

1) Levantine/Persian, Andalusian, Berber, and Turkish all have distinctive headgear and clothing.
2) Iberians, Italians, Franks, Germans, and Normans all have distinctive headgear and clothing.
3) All cultures have military headgear that has three ranks (duke/count, king, emperor).
4) All DLC portraits feature at least two clothing from BLC as well. Byzantines no longer have exposed shoulders.

Xy2ShQH.jpg

I'm still considering how I'll release this (i.e., how compatible it will be with a game that isn't running VIET, lol) and scouring out the last of the bugs/graphical oddities.

I hope the mod will be compatible with SWMH and TPTT. But most of all I wish to see that wonderful clothings from BLC for orthodox bishops:)

SWMH and Vanilla compatibility will be available this weekend. If you are one of those creatures who plays Project Balance + VIET Core, you can play with Better Looking Garbs starting today.

Better Looking Garbs 0.1

vMC8rJc.jpg

*Note, if you don't have all of the Portrait DLC's, you're probably going to see graphical oddities.

SWMH and Vanilla compatibility will be available this weekend. If you are one of those creatures who plays Project Balance + VIET Core, you can play with Better Looking Garbs starting today.

Better Looking Garbs 0.1

vMC8rJc.jpg

*Note, if you don't have all of the Portrait DLC's, you're probably going to see graphical oddities.

It looks great! Thnx for your work and can't wait to try SWMH compatible wersion.

Dhop84 said:
Stupid question but i cant seam to find in portrait properties where the orthodox headgear is

Honestly, I'm not quite sure. BLC included all of its headgear, noble, religious, military, in the same portrait .DDS. Months later, an official CK2 patch introduced a separate "religious_male_headgear" .DDS in the base of gfx/characters. I would assume that "religious_male_headgear" is also controlled by "portrait_properties", but I didn't change any text towards that end (simply edited the aforementioned .DDS).

superskierpat said:
Nice, what about pb + viet immersion? Do you have plans for that ;)

Oh, that was my mistake. I should have written that it supports PB + VIET everything. I myself play with PB + VIET Immersion, much as I would like to go back to the beauty of the SWMH map and cultures.

Compatibility patch for SWMH (and minor fix for BLG) is released. Apologies for being a day late, but RL intervened. I still intend to release compatibility patches for those who do not own all of the portrait DLC.

Last edited:
Looks good I will certainly try this out :)