• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaytana, I have tried making my own version in photoshop based off of the original HRE one. I'm going to test it in-game, and if it looks decent, I'll upload the dds here.

I've been cutting down on layers for v8... I will cut things down as much as I can in order to minimize memory load... I am going to have cultures use layers from other cultures rather than their own etc. v8 is going to be as memory efficient as possible while retaining current diversity.

Glad you're making progress. Your mod is essential.

tempaa.png

And the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?v0atn7bu95x1tgx

I think this version should work nicely. :)

Shaytana there was a discussion about BLC in the CK2+ thread and memory issues caused by palette swapping. Themendios (author of performance mods) made an interesting hypothesis about memory buildup issues with BLC:

LAA trip report: it does help a lot but eventually (hours) it runs out of memory again causing the transparent UI bug.

I really think it's probably the palette swapping helmets etc from BLC - if there's a version without it etc I bet it would work fine.

If you look at someone at war, they normally have the same metallic helmet. In the new one, the helmet is blue for france, grey for HRE and so on. I don't know how Shaytana did it as a mod but in execution I'd guess that it's creating a new .bmp in memory for each one and that's what's causing the leak.

@ Thure

You can use whatever you want from this mod mate, remember though that if you use stuff from this mod also to give credit to its contributors such as Crackdtoothgrin - see first post for people whose work or parts of their work is used in some fashion.

@Federalist Girl

I will look at your recoloring in game, I'll probably use it instead of whatever purple I was gonna use for ERE.

@Wiz

The problem with BLC is that it loads a lot of dds compared to the original dds load. When originally adding cultures and the dds for them I didn't expect the memory issues to be this drastic, so I actually not only added a lot of cultures but gave them their own layers such as clothes behind, headgear mid etc (6 layers per culture for clothing/headgear for example) I also changed to a 27 frames system...now I obviously scaled that back to 20. Now that I realize the engine can't handle it I'm reducing the memory load progresively... version 8 is aimed at memory load reduction, I am removing a lot of layers and making cultures use standardized layers where possible. I've already drastically reduced the memory load for the current build and I can reduce it even further in the future. Version 8 is going to be a test for memory load issues - if this version still has issues I will progresively reduce the load even further, renouncing stuff as I go, merging stuff etc, till eventually I figure out the sweetspot that will run as good as possible.

Sadly all this will come at the expense of diversity and adding more graphics, but at least it will hopefully run well...

Sounds great Shaytana. Too bad about less diversity but even my computer (which is quite good) is having issues handling BLC at the moment, so it seems to be an unfortunate necessary.

Sounds great Shaytana. Too bad about less diversity but even my computer (which is quite good) is having issues handling BLC at the moment, so it seems to be an unfortunate necessary.

Aye. I will be releasing a v8 later today... to put it this way the v8 I'm releasing is the first pass at memory load triming of the v8s... I've removed a LOT of stuff from loading while preserving 99% of the stuff you currently see in BLC7 (I renounced a lot of non-essential layers etc)

This v8 will also contain early WIP additions to the layers of 1 royal outfit and 1 noble outfit per culture - rather than finalize these additions and diversify them I just went with a poor WIP implementation, because v8 is about memory triming and those 2 outfits might be cut as the v8 triming versions advance...after all reducing memory load is key, and I might have to renounce frames... I hope not, but I might.

So, yes a v8 will be out later today - I want people to tell me if they experience issues (especially AFTER using the 2gigs adresset fix) if they do experience issues, I will follow with a v8a, etc further triming down memory load till we find the sweetspot.

Version 8 posted!

First memory load triming version of the 8s, +a host of additions - from 1 new royal outfit and 1 new noble clothes per culture, to many tweaks etc!

bI5Ea.png

PLEASE REPORT MEMORY ISSUES!!! -Please use the memory adresset fix in the first post also! (make backup of CK2 file ofc)

If memory issue reports start coming in I can try and cut down on memory load even further... at this point in time I have not had any issues with this version on my computer.

This is an excellent point, Wiz. If this mod is pushing the limits of the game engine then that leaves little other room for game state calculations necessary for events and decisions. Not only is this memory hungry, but it will produce lag even for those of us fortunate enough to have very new high end processors.

There is a certain mod for EU3 that has the same performance envelope issues and it uses the >2GB fix. *cough cough*

I love your work! I wish it didn't have to be whittled down like this. I hope that you find good ways to work around having to scale some things back. You should, however, do as much of that as you can stomach doing for the sake of other modding that you want to incorporate your work.

This is an excellent point, Wiz. If this mod is pushing the limits of the game engine then that leaves little other room for game state calculations necessary for events and decisions. Not only is this memory hungry, but it will produce lag even for those of us fortunate enough to have very new high end processors.

Try out the latest version. I have trimmed down memory load A LOT. If it's still problematic I can trim stuff down even more.

I am also considering something radical if the memory triming is not good enough... a BLC-lite version... the lite version would go overboard on memory load triming... offering only minimal diversity, renouncing skins, layers, etc. So for example I'd keep only 1 of the darker skins and use that for everyone who isn't using the western lighter skin, I'd bunch a lot of stuff together such as one massive slavic gfx group, one massive latin gfx group etc...

I've started work on a Mongol DLC-less version of v8. Provided I'm not hearing about memory issues with v8, I will release it...if not I will trim memory load even further, then release it.

The memory usage seems to have gone down ~100mb, from 1.6gb to 1.5gb (compare to 1.1 without BLC). Still quite memory-hungry, but the real issue was the memory leaks so need to test more before I can tell you if those are fixed.

The memory usage seems to have gone down ~100mb, from 1.6gb to 1.5gb (compare to 1.1 without BLC). Still quite memory-hungry, but the real issue was the memory leaks so need to test more before I can tell you if those are fixed.

Good to hear, meantime I will maybe look into further memory trimming, maybe go on and release a v8a sometime soon - with further memory load cuts.(no additions)

v8a is done, I'm going to test it to see nothing went wrong in the triming...then release it. It's basically v8 in terms of content only with more memory load cuts.

I am currently thinking of merging some headgear layers and assigning stuff via culture coding in portrait_properties file...with slots being culture coded etc. I am also thinking one way to reduce memory load is to cut down on the number of crowns...not sure if it's such a great idea but there's currently 3 crowns used per culture, I could cut 2 out...

Amazing job! Your mod is finally working properly for me! :laugh:

Amazing job! Your mod is finally working properly for me! :laugh:

WOOOOOOOOOT!!!! <-------is happy. :laugh:

I'm going to cut on memory load even more though...as posted above not quite sure yet how though hehehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.