• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jaol

Kapudan Pasha
56 Badges
Jan 24, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
IN DEVELOPMENT

Major Changes

The idea of this mod is to expand the number of buildings so that holdings will not just be more or less developed, but can develop in different directions depending on what choices the player/AI makes.

Currently, there is a default barony/city/bishopric, whose levy can be somewhat modified depending on culture, but otherwise is fairly similar for everyone. Other than the cultural buildings and the difference between inland and coastal cities, there is very little to differentiate one holding from another. All Italian-owned baronies will have lots of pikemen and few cavalry, regardless of whether they're part of small independent Italian republics or a unified Italian feudal kingdom, and all English baronies will have lots of archers regardless of whether they're in England itself or in the Middle East.

With this mod, buildings will be more context-dependent, so that, for example, an English Duke with holdings in England, Italy, and the Middle East, could have large longbow ranges in his English holdings, pike training grounds in his Italian holdings, and small longbow ranges plus squire lists in his Levantine holdings. Some buildings will still only be available to certain cultures (longbows, for example, will require either the province or the ruler to be English/Welsh), while others will be available to all cultures if certain conditions are met.

Major Changes

Province Laws:

The core of the mod is a system of province-modifiers representing the traditions and laws of the area. Provinces can be Highly Feudal, Feudal, Semi-Feudal, or Non-Feudal, each representing a different relationship between the aristocracy and the burghers/yeomanry (very broad abstractions, I know-it's more for gameplay than historical accuracy). These modifiers unlock different types of buildings for all the holdings in the province. For example, castles in highly feudal provinces will have access to the best Heavy Cavalry-boosting buildings, but in Semi-Feudal provinces will only have a more limited version of the building. In general, Castles will be best served by Highly Feudal or Feudal laws, Bishoprics by Feudal or Semi-Feudal laws, and Cities by Non-Feudal laws.

The modifiers are set (and possibly changed), but the owner of the province capital. Characters will tend to favor the laws that most benefit their own holding. So, if you put a Lord Mayor in charge of a province, don't be surprised if he institutes Non-Feudal laws, giving his city access to better buildings, but severely limiting the potential of any castles in the province. (This will hopefully be balanced to make Noble-type vassals more important, and discourage the strategy of having only Lord-Mayors/Prince-Bishops.)

Heavy Cavalry:

I've been persuaded that Heavy Cavalry is too rare at the start of the game (see this thread for a lengthy discussion). There may not have been late-medieval knights at the beginning of the game's timeframe, but there was cavalry that served a useful purpose in the heat of battle. This is not reflected in the current setup, where all cavalry is represented as light cavalry at the beginning of the game. Since light cavalry is only effective in the skirmish and pursuit phases of combat, cavalry plays a minimal role in early-game melee combat.

Moreover, the Franks/Germans should not be the only cultures with access to significant numbers of HC. The Byzantines, Poles, Bohemians, etc. all used some sort of cavalry in what would be the melee phase of combat. At the same time, however, there does appear to have been a difference in quality between the Frankish cavalry and that of the Byzantine Empire. So the Byzantines, at least, should not have access to the same sorts of HC-boosting buildings as the Franks.

So, to better model Heavy Cavalry in the game, I'm proposing the following changes:

1. To represent early-game Heavy Cavalry, while still keeping it distinct from late-game Knights, the base attack/defense values of HC will be lowered, so that it begins weaker, but quickly improves to match the vanilla values at technology level 3 (around 1250), after which it keeps pace with vanilla values. This will allow us to replace some of the early-game heavy infantry with heavy cavalry, without significantly unbalancing the game. For a detailed explanation of the numbers see the following:
    Vanilla heavy cavalry starts with attack-defense values of 1-8 / 10-8 / 8-5 for the 3 phases of combat (Skirmish/Melee/Pursuit). Both are modified by technology at the rate of 10%/15%/20%/25%/30%. So, at tech level 3, vanilla knights have attack/defense values of 1.2-9.6 / 12-9.6 / 9.6-6 (s/m/p). By setting the baseline for our knights at 2/3 of those values (vanilla tech level 3), we'd get 0.8-6.4 / 8-6.4 / 6.4-4, and having tech modifiers of 20%/40%/50%/55%/60%, we'd have HC that is approximately half-way between the base values for vanilla heavy infantry and vanilla heavy cavalry at tech level 0, and is roughly the same as vanilla HC from tech level 3 on.
  2. To represent the differences between the elite Frankish heavy cavalry, and the heavy cavalry of the Byzantines, Iberians, and other groups not known for shock charges, the will be buildings that provide a holding with heavy cavalry, but gives it lower attack and defense values than the default (sort of the opposite of how longbow ranges work).
  3. Most castles will have access to some sort of stable building that provides heavy cavalry at the beginning of the game. The exact options will be limited by culture and province laws (so Highly-Feudal Frankish provinces will have access to elite HC, while Semi-Feudal Scandinavian provinces will get more LC and less powerful HC).

This will obviously require careful balancing, so I'm especially hoping for any feedback you might have on this point.

Minor Changes

Culture Buildings:
Culture-specific buildings will be of 2 types: a) buildings that depend on the culture of the province, and b) buildings that depend on the culture of the holding's owner. Buildings that depend on the owner's culture will not vanish if the owner's culture changes, but they will no longer be upgradable, and their presence may block construction of other buildings. For example, a Norman king who becomes English would not automatically lose all his knights-lists, but he would not be able to build longbow ranges in provinces with them. Removing unwanted buildings is handled by decision.

More cultures will get culture-specific buildings. And some of the cultural buildings will be changed (longbows = English and Welsh, not Saxon, etc.). Hopefully, I'll be able to collaborate with some of the mods that already do this.

Economic Buildings:
There will be a greater variety of economic buildings, especially for cities. In general, the big tax-boost buildings will be divided into parts (per avee's suggestion that this encourages AI building). Also, holdings will be able to "specialize". For example, instead of a single type of castle town, you can either build fishing villages (more galleys), vineyards/farming villages (normal), trade towns (more tax+revolt risk).

I thought I'd give an update:

I'm currently experimenting with various different troop compositions, trying to get a sense for what is equal to what, so I can make the new buildings balanced. My method is to remove all buildings, then set the castle and city default troops to what I want to test, adjust technology by decision, and then run a series of 1-on-1 battles between a single city levy and a single castle levy (start as the Duke of Muster and revoke your Lord Mayor's title). I run each battle 3-5 times (if I got some extreme difference in martial, then I throw the numbers out). These battles have all been on plains (i.e. no terrain bonuses).

What I've found so far is:
  1. Leader Martial matters a lot between equal sized/composed forces. A slightly better leader wins 70% of the time, a much better leader 90% of the time.
  2. A 5% difference in numbers between equally composed forces makes almost no difference, 10% can be overcome (I've seen it with as low a difference as 12 vs 7), but a 20% difference almost always wins, regardless of leader.
  3. If you do have a difference in numbers, it's better to concentrate that advantage in a single troop type (except for LI and archers). In my tests of a 1100 vs 1000 man army, the survivors were generally around 625 to 300 when the forces had the same composition ratios. When the extra 100 men were of a single troop type, the survivors averaged: 700:250 (HC); 600:250(LC); 650:300 (P); 650:300 (HI); 625:300 (A); 600:300 (LI). Obviously, 100 extra cavalry is better than a mix, but even the HI were better than a mix, and the archers were respectable. Not entirely why this is--perhaps they help "win big" when their tactic is called, and route the enemy earlier.
Nothing shocking, but I thought it might be helpful to have this confirmed via testing.

I was toying with a similar idea.

If you haven't already you could consider using the offensive/defensive modifiers for different unit types to more accurately model different cultures units.

For example, Hussars while historically only arriving at the very end of the timeframe for this game were surely based off of some sort of precursor cavalry culture in Lithuania, Poland and Hungary. These functioned as shock cavalry however they clearly were not as heavy as Frankish or German heavy cavalry. On the other hand, they were more numerous.

For the purpose of this game they should be defined as sort of a medium cavalry, and we can achieve that by giving those culture groups a significant increase number wise, but a significant penalty in defense to their heavy cavalry!

This system is pretty flexible and would really allow a modder to go through and radically change how different cultures built their armies. Italians relied heavily on pikemen and urban militias in the early part of the game, it is reasonable then to give them more pikes and better light and heavy infantry. When you fight Italians you know that you are going to be fighting formidable infantry based armies!

If you haven't already you could consider using the offensive/defensive modifiers for different unit types to more accurately model different cultures units.

For example, Hussars while historically only arriving at the very end of the timeframe for this game were surely based off of some sort of precursor cavalry culture in Lithuania, Poland and Hungary. These functioned as shock cavalry however they clearly were not as heavy as Frankish or German heavy cavalry. On the other hand, they were more numerous.

We definitely were thinking along the same lines. My plan at least with Heavy Cavalry was to have some buildings give more troops but at reduced effectiveness. (In case anyone's wondering, you have to reduce the effectiveness of HC to create a "medium cavalry" rather than lower the base stats, and give the Franks a bonus because mercs don't use buildings. So, if you lowered the base stats, the holy orders would all be medium cavalry.)

I'm not sure how much these bonuses should be tied to culture, and how much to make them based on choices. For example, should Italy always get extra pike, or is that just because in my terms they were non-feudal provinces? Right now, I'm just playing with the "base" buildings and leaving the culture buildings alone, but I think it might make sense to open them up.

Well, the other idea I was rolling about in my noggin was differentiating the base buildings by culture group, and then giving the player or AI the option of specializing into different directions.

This all hinges obviously on the ability to set a prerequisite on for construction on something not existing.

So let's deal with the Italians here. You could create a set of 3 different castle paths. One path develops those troops heavily towards a historical system, more pikes and better trained infantry. One path is a-historical and begins to mimic the more fuedal/cavalry oriented neighbors to the north. A third path might opt for more light cavalry and skirmishing.

If we call these buildings A, B and C respectively, and each tier A1, A2, A3 etc one could create a system where A1 B1 and C1 are all avaliable initially. Once A1 is built, the prerequisite for A2 is that A1 exists. For A1 however the prerequisite would be that B1-B4 and C1-C4 do not exist.

Then we can move on to another culture group, and provide historical and less historical paths for the player or AI to choose.

The primary reason I see for doing this is, you would be able to establish a more rigid system for deploying your armies. Lets presume you hold 3 counties, you could focus your troop production in each country into a different specialization. Perhaps one county specializes into cavalry and is able to produce decent sized cavalry stacks. Another county specializes into infantry. Now when you bring these stacks together it is very easy to create more user defined armies. Cavalry heavy on the flanks, or skirmisher heavy on the flanks with heavy infantry and pikes in the middle.

This seems like a much better outcome than the ad-hoc little bit of everything type stacks we generate now.

Version 0.01 IN DEVELOPMENT

Overview

This version of the mod adjusts the military buildings for castles and cities (i.e. not the culture-specific buildings). Note: economic buildings have not yet been addressed, so it is not even remotely balanced.

All the castle military buildings have been split in two: a basic version and an advanced version. All castles/cities are able to build the basic versions of the buildings, but only some are able to build the advanced versions.

For example, in vanilla the castle guard quarters buildings gives heavy infantry and pikemen. In the mod, the "base" version gives mainly heavy infantry with only a few pikemen. There is also an "advanced" building that adds more pikemen, so castles able to build this building will have considerably more pike than one that do not have access to the advanced building.​

Moreover, cities are divided into two types: archer cities, and pikemen cities. Instead of producing roughly equal numbers of archers and pikemen, cities specialize in one or the other.

Together, these changes mean that there is a significant differences in the composition of levies from different castles and cities. This (hopefully) will make combat more interesting, since it gives players much greater freedom to arrange their armies according to troop types, and makes armies different from each other. For example, if you have 2 castles that are weak in pike and 1 that is strong in pike along with 2 pike cities and 1 archer city, you can either balance your line by putting the pike cities with the castles that lack pike, or vice versa.

However, the ability to shift most of your archers can potentially upset game balance (especially since the AI seems to always prefer a more balanced formation). So I'm currently testing these military buildings looking for imbalances and tweaking the numbers to try to find a middle ground where the player still can make significant decisions about army composition, without making it easy to defeat the AI.

If anyone wants to help out, I'd appreciate any observations you have about the buildings, or generally about balancing troops types.

Castle Buildings

Since the player normally spends the most time interacting with castles, they have the most options. The current castle military buildings are:
Base Buildings:
Stables: (gives light cavalry and some heavy cavalry)
Militia Training Grounds: (gives light infantry some archers)
Guard Quarters: (gives heavy infantry and some pikemen)​

Advanced Buildings:

Tiltyards: (gives light cavalry and heavy cavalry; reduces the number of heavy infantry)
Archery Ranges: (gives archers; reduces the number of light infantry)
Pike Drill Squares: (gives pikemen; reduces the number of light infantry)
Men at Arms Barracks: (gives heavy cavalry; reduces light cavalry)​

All castles can build the base buildings; access to the advanced buildings is controlled by province modifiers. These are determined by a number of factors:
  1. The province owner. Provinces owned by a count rather than a prince-bishop or lord mayor are considered feudal. Feudal provinces have the most access to the advanced castle buildings. Province owned by bishops are considered semi-feudal. Castles in semi-feudal provinces have partial access to the advanced buildings. Province owned by mayors are considered non-feudal. Castles in non-feudal provinces can only build the base buildings.
  2. Specialization. All feudal and semi-feudal provinces are given a specialization. This determines which advanced buildings the castles in that province have access to.

Together, these give us 6 province modifiers:
  • Feudal, specializing in Heavy Cavalry: full access to Tiltyards, and Men at Arms Barracks; partial access to Pike Training Grounds
  • Feudal, specializing in Combined Arms: full access to Tiltyards; partial access to Pike Training Grounds and Archery Ranges
  • Feudal, specializing in Infantry: full access to to Pike Training Grounds and Archery Ranges; partial access to Tiltyards
  • Semi-Feudal, specializing in Cavalry: partial access to Tiltyards
  • Semi-Feudal, specializing in Infantry: partial access to to Pike Training Grounds and Archery Ranges
  • Non-Feudal: basic buildings only

These modifiers are currently assigned by decisions. Specialization is random, although modified by culture (Franks are more likely to pick Heavy Cavalry, Russians are more likely to pick Infantry, etc.). Later this will probably be done by event for the player, so you can choose what type you want.

The modifiers are balanced so that feudal castles are better than semi-feudal castles, which in turn are better than castles in non-feudal provinces. The specializations are all roughly equal, so the optimal choice largely depends on what cultural buildings you have access to. (sidenote: I'm planning on making the cultural buildings a bit weaker, since the ability to "double-up" on a troop-type if you get a bonus to its stats--archers for the English, knights for the Franks, etc.--is a bit overpowered).

City Buildings

The military buildings in cities are simpler than those in castles. The current city military buildings are:
Base Buildings:
Militia Mustering Grounds: (gives light infantry; some archers and pike)​

Advanced Buildings:

Barracks: (gives pike)
Archery Ranges: (gives archers)
City Drill Squares: (gives pikemen, archers, light and heavy cavalry; also boost pikemen morale and archer defense)​

Access to the advanced buildings is also determined by province modifiers just like for the castles. The Drill Square is only available in non-feudal provinces. The pike and archer buildings are determined by a separate pair of modifiers (local bowmen/local pikemen) assigned to every province on the map semi-randomly (Italian and Dutch are more likely to use pike, etc.). They are not balanced against each other (I've found a pike-heavy army defeats an archer-heavy army), and a city with a drill square is much stronger than one without this building.

DOWNLOAD
View attachment Better Buildings.zip
And, if anyone wants, here's the excel file I've been using to keep track of the numbers:
View attachment Better Buildings Excel Table.zip

You have some good ideas, though a user named Syren has already made a good culture-specific building mod. You could maybe check it out? Pool your ideas. :)

I will definitely keep an eye on this though.

You have some good ideas, though a user named Syren has already made a good culture-specific building mod. You could maybe check it out? Pool your ideas. :)

I will definitely keep an eye on this though.

Yeah, I'm definitely looking to combine this with Syren's or one of the other cultural building mods out there. I think I may need to adjust the culture-buildings a bit to fit this mod, especially the ones that give heavy cavalry, but in general, I'm think it should be possible to use one of them as the basis for the cultural buildings.

Currently, I'm just trying to get the base buildings balanced, though.

Good to see this finally released. Unfortunately I now must spend at least an hour figuring out how to combine this with all the other mods I am using... :(

Good to see this finally released. Unfortunately I now must spend at least an hour figuring out how to combine this with all the other mods I am using... :(

You might want to hold off on that one more day. I'm going to finish the economic buildings tonight. Should be up sometime tomorrow.

That being said, It shouldn't be too hard to fit this with other mods--the event modifiers for the mod are all in one section in the file: search for Building Triggers to find them.

Version 0.02 Now with Economic Buildings! Balanced for play at all start dates!

Overview

This version of the mod adds economic buildings for castles. Both castles and cities already had new military buildings in the previous version. It is savegame compatible with earlier version, and can be combined with other mods, so long as you take combine different versions of the event_modifiers and similar files.

The picture shows a typical province in the mod at a 1266 start date. As you can see, the province has a number of modifiers. These unlock various advanced military and economic buildings that make individual castles and cities different from each other. Two of the modifiers have icons that look like troop types. In this case, the bowman icon tells you that the cities in this province will provide more archers than pikemen. The heavy infantry icon tells you that the province specializes in combined arms (i.e. castles in this province will have levies with a balance mix of cavalry and infantry). As you can see in the title-screen, the castle has a level 2 tiltyard (the advanced cavalry building) and a level 1 drill square and archery range (the advanced infantry buildings) For a full breakdown of all the military modifiers/buildings see the earlier post.

Between the military icons is an economic modifier using a placeholder icon. These modifiers unlock specific economic buildings in all the castles in a province. In this case, the castle has access to the "vineyards" building chain, which provides tax income and a small boost to culture tech at higher levels. What buildings a province has access to depends on a number of factors, including wealth (represent by number of holdings), culture, and terrain. For example, coastal provinces might be assigned salt pans, which provide tax income and extra ships while poor provinces might be marked as "wasteland" getting no access advanced buildings.

Above the vineyards building is a mine and a town. Towns are similar to the vanilla building, except they have fewer levels, and the higher levels cannot be built in non-feudal provinces. Mines are terrain-dependent buildings that give tax income, a bonus to pikemen and archers, and a penalty to heavy infantry. Every terrain except arctic has a similar building that combines economic and military benefits. Altogether, the three types of buildings cost about the same to build as the vanilla towns, and provide about the same tax income boost, but the income curve is made a little steeper at first, so as to give the ai more money to build with in the early game. Also, since each individual building costs less than a vanilla town level, it is easier to get the economy started. Also, the AI's build order priorities have been reworked so it favors economic buildings a bit more, further accelerating building in castles.

The 4th modifier is used during startup (and is hidden in the released version of the mod). It gives all holdings a temporary boost to garrison and levy reinforcements. This allows for later start dates, since without it the added buildings take months to fill up, leaving cities particularly weak and leading to AI weirdness.

Castle Economic Buildings

The current castle economic buildings are:
Towns (Three Levels)

Terrain Buildings: (Three Levels)
Farms: In plains and farmlands (gives tax and a bonus to levy size)
Coppices: In forests (gives tax, a bonus to heavy infantry, and a penalty to cavalry)
Mines: In Hills (give tax, a bonus to pikemen and archers, and a penalty to heavy infantry)
High Pastures: In Mountains (give tax, a bonus to fort level, and a penalty to heavy cavalry)
Caravansaries: In Deserts (give tax, a bonus light cavalry, and a penalty to heavy cavalry)​

Advanced Buildings: (Four Levels)
Vineyards: tax + culture tech
Orchards: extra large tax
Mills: tax + econ tech
Forges: tax + mil tech
Hunting Grounds: less tax + morale
Salt Pans: tax + ships​

Minor Changes

The new icons for the province troop type modifiers obviously. Also, I changed the city-sprawl settings in the defines, since the mod has much larger cities than in vanilla. You don't need to do that, but the cities become huge if you don't.

Coming in Next Release

• Events for the player to set and change the province modifiers/buildings.
  • City/temple economic buildings.

DOWNLOAD
View attachment Better Buildings.zip

My game CTDs after scrolling over certain events on the intrigue screen. I attempted the fix that Steveuk666 suggested, but to no avail. I have rooted around in the events folders, but am unable to find a fix. I am playing with TPtT, Lupus Agnum, and ruler creator activated.

edit: After disabling all mods, the game still crashes to desktop after scrolling over "event modifers" on the intrigue menu.

Last edited: