• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Siege events V1.5 now available.

I have added two new siege events plus re-wrote a couple of the older ones to include failsafe triggers etc The full list of events are;

A.I. Reinforce: Defending garrison gets reinforced.

Player reinforce: Players garrison gets reinforced.

Surrender event: A cowardly commander surrenders the garrison.

Surrender dual event: Another surrender event with dual choice.

Plague event: Plague strikes....siege over.

Siege engine event: Helps reduce the siege time.

Compatible with PI patch 1.5c

Mediafire: Siege events 1.5

Please read the included 'readme' if using with my old Battle mod 1.0d or with any other mod.

Last edited:
Sounds good, Steve. I like the idea of having a defender surrender, maybe for 'terms'. If you look at the history of medieval sieges like during the English Anarchy, a lot of commanders gave up when given good terms or when relief was just not coming.

You could also have defection events when you like the besieger more than your liege or some other reason like friendship or blood relations.

First off - Nice one, Steve, for adding siege events - it does improve on the "flavour".

And I like your suggestions, Redrooster, not only because it's in line with historical facts but also allows some input from the player... in choosing between terms of surrender, for instance.

I was also thinking of something along these lines:
- the garrison commander asks to meet the besieging commander, where the player can choose between the following options:

1. no way, this might be a trap.
2. ok, I'll go --- which leads to 2b. ambush or 2c. surrender terms
3. Yes, I have something to offer to this greedy character ---- which leads to a bribery offer that can 3b. significantly shorten the siege time or 3b. backfire, and make the garrison commander even more resolute in fighting the besiegers.

Good ideas, ash. If you want to get really nasty, you could put in looting events. Medieval commanders were not supposed to hold out to the last extreme when everyone inside the castle is starved and diseased. They were supposed to hold out long enough to satisfy their own honor and their bonds to their liege lord. If they did hold out too long, they could expect no quarter.

Now, once the siege is over, especially if you are dealing with heretics or infidels (check the province religion against your own, or the top_liege's), you can choose to loot it (the customary three days' looting to pay for mercenaries and poor levies), entirely raze the city (with a province modifier and bad effects for you), or leave it alone (which gives you a moral high ground). I am thinking of the fall of Jerusalem during the First Crusade (which was a very bloody affair), the Mameluke conquest of Antioch (which reportedly netted Sultan Baybars an estimated 40-100,000 slaves), and the Leonese conquest of Toledo (which involved a prior agreement to hold out for a set amount of time--four years, after which the rights and safety of all the city's inhabitants would be recognized).

Hi Steve, many thanks for ur effort to improve the vanilla battle system!

I see you mentioning 3 versions of your mod but the third (Full) version doesnt seem to be linked. Is it not yet downloadable due to WIP?

Sounds good, Steve. I like the idea of having a defender surrender, maybe for 'terms'. If you look at the history of medieval sieges like during the English Anarchy, a lot of commanders gave up when given good terms or when relief was just not coming.

You could also have defection events when you like the besieger more than your liege or some other reason like friendship or blood relations.
Hi Red, I love your ideas and I have many of my own as well, I just need to learn the bloody script :laugh:
It took me 3 hours just to put in the 2 choice siege event :eek:o and as for Root,Liege,From,Prev and the rest of that stuff etc I have not even started to get my head around it. Toss into the mix a lustful wife :wub:....is there time?

First off - Nice one, Steve, for adding siege events - it
does improve on the "flavour". And I like your suggestions, Redrooster, not only
because it's in line with historical facts but also allows some input from the
player... in choosing between terms of surrender, for instance.
I was also thinking of something along these lines: - the garrison commander asks to meet the besieging commander, where the player can choose between the following options:
1. no way, this might be a trap.
2. ok, I'll go --- which leads to 2b. ambush or 2c. surrender terms
3. Yes, I have something to offer to this greedy character ---- which leads to a bribery offer that can 3b. significantly shorten the siege time or 3b. backfire, and make the garrison commander even more resolute in fighting the besiegers.
Thanks Ash, as I said to Red, I would love to add more involved events but my modding skill is still very basic. I have the ideas, but not the know how. Add to that my questioning about whether or not it's worth the hassle because of the poor combat system Paradox gave us and no matter how it's dressed up, your never going to experience the thrill of making that decision to commit your heavy horse, position your archers in woods etc The only reason I still update with new stuff is because of the amount of downloads this mod has had (nearly 200):eek: so I feel obliged in some way to continue until someone with more knowledge takes over.

Hi Steve, many thanks for ur effort to improve the
vanilla battle system!

I see you mentioning 3 versions of your mod but the
third (Full) version doesnt seem to be linked. Is it not yet downloadable
due to WIP?
Thanks Jens for your comment. The Full version is not yet available as I'm still researching data for it. It could be awhile in coming as RL keeps getting in the way but if you want, I can give you a link to my last full update which I never put on general release.

Hi Red, I love your ideas and I have many of my own as well, I just need to learn the bloody script :laugh:
It took me 3 hours just to put in the 2 choice siege event :eek:o and as for Root,Liege,From,Prev and the rest of that stuff etc I have not even started to get my head around it. Toss into the mix a lustful wife :wub:....is there time?

Oh, you poor, poor man. :D

Look at this little mod for EU Rome. It's where I got my ideas. With the harshest effects on, you can entirely despoil provinces for, well, centuries. :eek: Anyone up for harrowing the north? :wacko:

Oh, you poor, poor man. :D

Look at this little mod for EU Rome. It's where I got my ideas. With the harshest effects on, you can entirely despoil provinces for, well, centuries. :eek: Anyone up for harrowing the north? :wacko:
I'm trying to cut down my workload, not increase it :laugh:

Thanks for the link, I guess some of the triggers/modifiers are not not applicable in CKII though. I might experiment over the next few days and see if I can adapt any of the events.

Have you seen this mod? Seems ideal for what both of us are trying to achieve.

*CPR*
now is the perfect time to revive this mod, especially with the improved combat system :D