• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Spoke with the creator of the Australia New Zealand mod and he gives us permission (with credits for source) to use the map as a base for our treatment of the area. Hovever he will not give permission to use the events created in the mod. So guess we need to decide here if we should adopt the map from the mod. Would save a good amount of work on the map making front, though would still need to make a few tweaks here and there.

I understand. I had a look at the code and it is quite an extensive bit of work.

But it is no real issue. If we copy their map setup then it seems their mod will be natively compatible with our mod. People just need to load our mod after the australia mod.

The mod does at a number of states of Australia and New Zealand though. I am not to happy about that. But lets just copy it to ensure compatibility. I don't think we need to copy the exact tag setup for comptability. Some tags are referenced in code, but those are just a handful. So we have some flexibility there.

I understand. I had a look at the code and it is quite an extensive bit of work.

But it is no real issue. If we copy their map setup then it seems their mod will be natively compatible with our mod. People just need to load our mod after the australia mod.

The mod does at a number of states of Australia and New Zealand though. I am not to happy about that. But lets just copy it to ensure compatibility. I don't think we need to copy the exact tag setup for comptability. Some tags are referenced in code, but those are just a handful. So we have some flexibility there.

what we might want to do is keep the unrecognized native powers, but keep the state set-up as it.

One map incompatibility is in the Pacific the Carolines and Marianas are part of Phlippines rather than Spain as we have it. After more research Carolines seem to have been abandoned by the Spanish until the 1880s so better they stay as native. Marianas could go to Philippines.

How does one extract code from an installed mod, I can not find the files on my system.

Hi, just thought I'd let you know as you might be interested as you mentioned compatibility, in the Australia & New Zealand mod's next update (which should be soon™) we've made some more changes to Pacific and Indian ocean islands. We do this generally to to add flavour for the region of our main scope countries, so take with a grain of salt whether you'd also want these changes.

We're adding Rapa Nui and Samoa as decentralised tags, renaming Kanak and Vanuatu to New Caledonia and New Hebrides respectively, the Indian Ocean Territories (which we might've already altered from vanilla) is splitting Christmas island and the Cocos (Keeling) islands off to their own state in Indonesia, Tahiti's capital province is moved to Tahiti (crazy) and they start independent. In general we are moving toward having most islands with ~100k+ population be represented/releaseable, or if they serve some other narrative feature (i.e. the Indian Ocean Territory split).

We've also adjusted the resources of Australia and New Zealand to be more accurate and the Murray River map placement has also been made more accurate.

what we might want to do is keep the unrecognized native powers, but keep the state set-up as it.

One map incompatibility is in the Pacific the Carolines and Marianas are part of Phlippines rather than Spain as we have it. After more research Carolines seem to have been abandoned by the Spanish until the 1880s so better they stay as native. Marianas could go to Philippines.

How does one extract code from an installed mod, I can not find the files on my system.

First all, thanks for a new mod.

The Marianas and Guam were under Spanish rule since the 17th century after the end of the Chamorro wars, they were a stopover point for the Manila galleon and were partly Hispanicized. Carolines and Palau were different, they were Spanish possession (Marshall too) de jure since age of discovery, but except for some isolated attempts by missionaries to settle since 17th century, there was no Spanish presence and this led to the 'Caroline Question' in 1885 since Great Britain and Germany did not recognize Spanish rights if sovereignty was not exercised. The Pope gave the Marshalls to Germany and the Carolines and Palau to Spain in exchange for exercising sovereignty.

Spanish Marianas and claims over Carolines, Palau and Marshall could be a form to represent this in the game.

Hi, just thought I'd let you know as you might be interested as you mentioned compatibility, in the Australia & New Zealand mod's next update (which should be soon™) we've made some more changes to Pacific and Indian ocean islands. We do this generally to to add flavour for the region of our main scope countries, so take with a grain of salt whether you'd also want these changes.

We're adding Rapa Nui and Samoa as decentralised tags, renaming Kanak and Vanuatu to New Caledonia and New Hebrides respectively, the Indian Ocean Territories (which we might've already altered from vanilla) is splitting Christmas island and the Cocos (Keeling) islands off to their own state in Indonesia, Tahiti's capital province is moved to Tahiti (crazy) and they start independent. In general we are moving toward having most islands with ~100k+ population be represented/releaseable, or if they serve some other narrative feature (i.e. the Indian Ocean Territory split).

We've also adjusted the resources of Australia and New Zealand to be more accurate and the Murray River map placement has also been made more accurate.
Hi

Thanks for update I have the Pacific islands reworked pretty well already keep the current setup we have for those areas. Have already moved Cocos/Christmas from Java to Indian Ocean and start British. Added decentralized nations Caroline Islands, Marshall Islands, Kiribati (covering Gilberts and the at the time Uninhabited Central Pacific Islands now part of Kiribati), Ellice Islands, Samoa, Cook Islands, Tokelau, Wallis & Futuna, and split French Polynesia up into Tahiti, Marquesas, Tuamotus, Mangareva and gave Britain the Pitcairns, and added Rapa Nui. So our Pacific setup is pretty well set, now the focus is on Australia/New Zealand, where your work pretty much fits with how I viewed setting up the region hence request to use your mod as the base.

First all, thanks for a new mod.

The Marianas and Guam were under Spanish rule since the 17th century after the end of the Chamorro wars, they were a stopover point for the Manila galleon and were partly Hispanicized. Carolines and Palau were different, they were Spanish possession (Marshall too) de jure since age of discovery, but except for some isolated attempts by missionaries to settle since 17th century, there was no Spanish presence and this led to the 'Caroline Question' in 1885 since Great Britain and Germany did not recognize Spanish rights if sovereignty was not exercised. The Pope gave the Marshalls to Germany and the Carolines and Palau to Spain in exchange for exercising sovereignty.

Spanish Marianas and claims over Carolines, Palau and Marshall could be a form to represent this in the game.

This is pretty much how we have it - Carolines/Palau as decentralized Carolins nation (trying not to add too many new decentralized nations) and Marianas directly under Spanish rule either direct or via Philippines (later would be more correct).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Something that should be fixed is Prince Edward Island, it was a separate colony (part of New Brunswick) and did not join Canada until 1873

Should really be its own colony within the New Brunswick State along with Nova Scotia

Edit - working on this. Making a new PEI country as Colony of GB, within the New Brunswick state.

Last edited:
Bare bones PEI started. Now to flesh it out
PEI.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:
Bit of an update I went back to full time work in early February and the reality is I have had almost no time to do any modding due to RL commitments after working 45-50 hrs/week, so not sure how much I will be able to contribute going forward.

Bit of an update I went back to full time work in early February and the reality is I have had almost no time to do any modding due to RL commitments after working 45-50 hrs/week, so not sure how much I will be able to contribute going forward.
Sad to read, but understandable. Hopefully that doesn't mean that we have to wait until Vicky4 to see you again ...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi, may I presend a humble request to use part of the mod that you are developing?

I really appreciate your idea and actually I want to do similar thing in a mod I am developing, mainly decolonising North America and Oceania to allow more immersive colonization (and stop AI Great Britain from early colonisation in Africa). But I don't want to change radically from vanilla province map to allow mod compatibility and it should require less works...

Anyway I just want to explain my inspiration and when trying to materialise this I find the asset in your mod really helpful. Can I use part of your mod for such purpose, particularly the new country tags (decentralised nations) and their starting province id? I imagine you have put a lot of effort to make that impressive province map (province.png) which you may want to reserve it for yourselves, but as mentioned I won't be needing it. I know there are multiple developers, so would you be so kind to help me consult their opinions if they're not reading this? Many thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment and your interest. Feel free to use whatever you want from the GitHub, including the province map if you feel so inclined.

I'm not sure if it will be much help to you though; I made so many changes to the states setup that I am unsure if you can use any of it without quite a bit of reworking of your own. But good luck!
Edit: I did change my mind a bit and prefer to keep the province map file for myself for now. Though I am very much looking forward to what you will create, and do use anything else you want to.

I updated the GitHub. Did some bug hunting and fixed up some content relating to the Carlist War, Russian Alaska and early colonisation of Canada. Once I get Canada to work the way I want I'll turn my attention to fixing Brazil and Indian removal.

In the mean time I also decentralised Australia and experimented with decentralising Russia:
russia.png

Not sure if I should pursue this course of action though. While I think it is cool and helps represent the Siberian/Northern people of Russia on the map, it might not really fit as nobody saw those regions as not being Russia. Thoughts?

Last edited:
A comment on that Mandinka blob. It's not accurate at all. They coastal peoples may share cultural similarities but the heart of the Former Mali empire which at this point was broken up into small kingdoms should not be combined with the coast which was at no point in time a continuous political unit. Plus for the rise of Samori they should be separated out. It just feels very wrong to look at.

I also wanted to mention the eventual revolt of Fulaadu which displaced Kaabu later.

Their also still need to be a way for the Toucouleur Empire to form

Honestly certain West African kingdoms should get a Jihad attitude that makes them aggressively expand at a certain point.

The Niger delta states are not Igbo btw, that's wrong, It's Ijo/Ijaw

Also I should comment that the Oyo is wrong, Oyo effectively collapsed in 1836 Ibadan or Ijebu make more sense.
View attachment Map of 1835.jpg

View attachment Map of 1836.jpg

Plenty of other stuff should be looked at as well.

Looking through I see some changes have been made from the first map which look better. You guys may also like these maps. I also used to work on the EU4 MEIOU mod so I have a lot of maps of Africa.

Sokoto Caliphate and Neighboring States, 1850.png
West Africa 1850 and 1884.jpg

View attachment Sokoto Caliphate, Borno, and Bight of Benin, 1840.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and maps. :) This is the current state of west Africa.

west africa anno 1836.png

I agree that Mandinka isn't great, but I haven't figured out what a better setup would be. I don't intend to split it up in minor states as I am not sure what that would bring to the game, but I agree that this isn't ideal either. Any concrete suggestions are very much welcome.

And I am aware of Omniatlas. I used it *a lot* I can tell you. Although it isn't always accurate, it is a good starting point in figuring out who controlled what and draw borders.

And getting close... Very close...
anno 1836 world.png

(I think I fixed the CTD and resource hog script in the back ground. Now just need to fix the amazon events for Brazil and do some final polish to the Indian Removal content, and it is good enough for a first release :O)

• 1Love
Reactions:
Map is looking great. Sorry been away for so long, work has been leaving me with barely any time to even play the game.

One suggestion on Africa, I would upgrade Mossi to be playable, the Mogho Naaba was a fairly strong ruler with a bureaucracy staffed by Muslims, and held pretty solid dominance over the other Mossi princes.

I will finally have a vacation from work the week of 28 April so hope to be able to do some modding. One thing to consider is that with the changes to migration it is now feasible to create small states in places like the Pacific in place of the large Tonga and Tahiti states that will not attract migrants in the way that they potentially could in 1.5 and earlier versions, so some further revision to the state setup in the Pacific, Caribbean and Indian Ocean might be worth considering to allow for better modelling of the scrambles for colonies (esp in the Pacific).

Note that with 1.7 and Spheres of Influence Central Asia is getting a rework, so releasing the mod before 1.7 will likely require an update post 1.7 to deal with the new content coming with the new DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Small note, Bissagos Islands should probably start uncolonized.

In 1849, with the people of the Bissagos still fiercely independent, the British and French mounted a joint expedition to 'pacify' the islands, but they were repulsed. The Portuguese tried several times to put down 'tax revolts' in the islands in the early 20th century but largely failed.[7] The islands were not formally annexed by Portugal until 1936.[8][9]

Also I'm not sure if you want to include these guys or not.

These maps should be useful.

Futa Tooro 19th century.jpg

Futa Tooro population movements.jpg

this may be helpful as well