• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ornlu Wolfjarl

Megas Strategos
85 Badges
Sep 4, 2012
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome Gold
  • War of the Vikings
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
Greetings everyone,

This mod adds a Name file for Ancient Greeks in space.

- 1069 Ship names drawn from Greek mythology, categorized in hull size and type

- 485 Planet names of actual Greek cities and colonies

- 694 Male and female actual Greek first names

- 135 Surnames inspired by Byzantine and Ancient Greek surnames (Ancient Greeks didn't use surnames, instead they used the place of birth/origin as a sort of surname, e.g. Periklis the Athenian. However since I can't make surnames specific for males and females it would appear weird and I had to improvise. It's still a work in progress)

Current goals are to have over 300 surnames in total, as well as to add 200 more planet names from Greek mythology.

The mod doesn't use the anglicized versions of the names. It instead uses a transliteration from Greek.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD HERE:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ff90c9kh8ejsa0/Ancient Greek Names.zip?dl=0

WORKSHOP LINK HERE:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686777575

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in pronouncing the names correctly, please follow this guide:

In Greek, unlike English, each letter is always pronounced and each letter has its own unique sound. Letters don't change sounds on a whim. The only case they are pronounced differently is when they are part of a dipthong (a combination of two letters), and even then the dipthong follows strict pronounciation rules.

- A is always pronounced like in ANT

- E is always pronounced like in EGG

- I is always pronounced like in IS (very important, don't ever pronounce it as A-I, like in "I AM". Most pronounciations of Psi or Chi in English are wrong)

- U is always pronounced like in URALS

- Y = I

- O is always pronounced like in ORAL

- K is subtler than in english, sort of like the C in COOL

- P is softer than in english. Both the P and K sounds would be written PP and KK in Greek if their english pronounciation was followed.

- V is always pronounced like in Vanilla

- G is always pronounced like Y in Yellow

- A+I = E (many exceptions exist for this rule, I'm working on adding pronounciation marks for this cases)

- E+I = I

- O+I = I

- E+U varies. It can either be E+V or E+F. I've made sure to use it sparringly and to follow it up with a letter that will make it easier to pronounce it correctly. Try to always pronounce it E+V and you will be fine

- O+U = U (a bit more stretched)

- A+U = A+F

- C+H is always pronounced like H in Hell if followed by an E or I sound. In every other case it's pronounced like H in AHOY (as in "Ahoy there")

- P+S is always pronounced like in SOLIPSIST

- M+P = the english letter B

- G+G = the german letter G, always pronounced like G in GLUE

- G+K is a heavier variation of GG

Seems like a long list, but because there are hardly any exceptions it's quite simple.

If you have any questions, corrections or suggestions feel free to leave a comment.

Have fun and thanks for downloading!

Reactions:
I have to check this out. I've been trying to keep to a mythological naming scheme for everything -- that's what we do for space, after all.

Hi.. I have been trying for weeks to get some help on this.. but no one is replying to my thread....

Do you have a link or something on how to make a custom name list as an additive to the existing ones? I would really like to make my own, but can not work out how!

Thanks!

Hi.. I have been trying for weeks to get some help on this.. but no one is replying to my thread....

Do you have a link or something on how to make a custom name list as an additive to the existing ones? I would really like to make my own, but can not work out how!

Thanks!

Hi, here's a blank name list: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojphex76e1vjtqz/Stellaris Name Blank.txt?dl=0

It's pretty self-explanatory what to write where. You can leave specific names blank in each category and the game will draw from the "generic" pools e.g. for ships, if you leave corvettes and destroyers blank, the game will draw names from the generic pool for them; you can still fill out battleships and cruisers and the game will use those names for the specified hulls. Same for planets. sequential_names = { %0% Something} will make everything they are assigned to numbered. So for example { %0% Fleet } will name your fleets 1st Fleet, 2nd Fleet, etc.

regnal_names are names for rulers in autocracies. If you don't fill them up, the game will draw from your other leader names instead.

Add a tag on top, you can write anything (you don't need the [brackets] ). You are not restricted to 3 capital letters.

Name your file and place it in common/name_list or make a mod to that directory. Your namelist should appear in the race creation now.

Use Notepad++ to create and edit the namelist, otherwise you might get formatting issues.

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to check this out. I've been trying to keep to a mythological naming scheme for everything -- that's what we do for space, after all.

Hope you have fun :) I'm still adding stuff to it. I'll be expanding planet names with more mythology, currently they are only ancient greek cities and colonies.

Reactions:
Thanks for this, I've been trying to do an Athens in space game, but the lack of greek names for well, everything has been a break in immersion for me.

Super helpful, subscribed.

Slightly off topic but related to Greek. How should the names "Zeus" and Perseus" be pronounced?

As I was taught, it's close to z'yoose and per-see-uss. Modern Greek would probably have you say Zevs or something ridiculous, but that's certainly not how to say it in Classical Greek. Zeus rhymes with basileus, but Modern Greek would render that as closer to vasilefs than bas-sil-loose.

Slightly off topic but related to Greek. How should the names "Zeus" and Perseus" be pronounced?

the u in both cases is pronounced as an F. It depends on the dialect, but generally this is the case. For all names like that with very few exceptions (Zeus is the most common exception), you can also replace the U with an A and it'd be correct (so you could say Perseas).

The reason I say it depends on the dialect is that before Alexander the Great, each city-state had their own dialect and their own particular way of pronouncing words (these would still adhere to strict grammatical rules and wouldn't vary from word to word like it does for latin-based names). Alexander thought there should be a typified language for everyone in his empire, so that non-Greeks could learn and understand Greek easier and could be integrated in his empire easier. In his version, a U that follows a vowel is an F. Before him, this rule applied to the Ionian dialects (i.e. Athens, Attica and the Asia Minor coast).

Sorry for the late reply I haven't been around the forums in some time.