• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ijtzoi

Second Lieutenant
82 Badges
Sep 6, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
v0.6 NOW RELEASED - DOWNLOAD AT BOTTOM

To the South of Mauretania, many old kingdoms rose and fall. During the time of Crusader Kings 2, the great Mali Empire was forged, and it had to face the Ghana Empire (still reeling from a sack and forced conversion by the Almohads of Mauretania, which also happened in the CK2 timeframe) to rise. The rich lands of Timbuktu, and of Djenne, and of Koumbi Saleh, dominated the Western Trans-Saharan trade, making these Sahelian kingdoms wealth and prosperous. It was a time of religious turmoil between the Muslims and the native African religions, with much wealth and power to go to the victors.
This mod brings this world of conflict to Crusader Kings 2, this mod stretches the map...
ALL THE WAY TO TIMBUKTU

This mod adds 30 provinces, each with its own county...

Divided into 9 duchies...

And into 3 kingdoms*...

Ready to be united into an Empire**!

*the Saharans have been added to Mauretania, which wasn't counted in the number 4
***except the Saharans

CHANGELOG:
0.6:
Added new "Sack" casus belli for Muslims/Pagans that allows them to dissolve the primary title of their target (have only one kingdom? Well now you're a duke) and convert them to their religion.
Improved the history files for buildings in Djenne, Koumbi Saleh, Timbuktu, Gao and Niani
Warrior cult is no longer available to west_africans
Fixed the map files for v1.04
Fixed ocean province names (was available as hotfix before, is now core)
0.5:
Initial release

TODO:
Expanded history covering all Mansas of Mali
Cultural titles (eg "Mansa" for Emperor)
Better city positions
Make Ghana ineligible to form the Mali Empire

Note that this mod uses the following community-assign max-compatibility ranges: Characters: 1.000.033.000 - 1.000.035.999, Dynasties: 1.000.011.000 - 1.000.011.999.
For greater mod-compatibility (I imagine a lot of mods will implement the religion changes), I have made the making-other-religions-playable part of a separate download.
View attachment PlayableAll.zip

Last edited:
I was going to, but then I'd have to extend the map rather than simply add provinces to it. I'd rather not have to change the map's dimensions or rescale everything.

Hey you don't man, the whole sahel is in the game space. Here I drew up some provinces.

I also drew my own interpretation of west Africa terrain.pngrivers.pngtopography.pngprovinces.png

Last one I drew over to show where the provinces should go. All the Sahel provinces should be not poor exactly but not rich either, maybe 3 settlements, heavy on baronies low on cities or temples, except for the trade entrepots. The central Saharan provinces on the other hand should be poor or dirt poor, perhaps 1 max settlement and that a city settlement. Mzab, Ghadames, Fezzan and Sijilmasa are richer, maybe 3 max settlements, 1 barony 1 city 1 unbuilt. Tuat and Tadmekka could get maybe 2 settlements.

Cities:
Agadez (A major center for east-west African commerce)
Tadmekka (the Mecca of the Sahara)
Araune (the second largest caravan point heading north, after Tadmekka)
Taghaza (believe it or not it was a prosperous town due to the salt trade)
Tamantit (Bouda, the capital of Tuat, became a fortress due to Arab raids from Sus, so Tamentit became the entrepot)
Sijilmasa (the greatest city of the Sahara, primary entrepot for all goods from the Sahara)
Gao
Jenne
Audaghust
Wadane (the main entrepot for goods from the Sahara to Sus)
Idjil
Ghadames (the main entrepot for goods from the Sahara to Tripoli)
Ghat
Wargla (the main entrepot for goods from the Sahara to Tunis)
Koumbi Saleh (the greatest city in West Africa)

Most settlements are baronies with a few temples here and there.

Last edited:
Right. I'm no expert on the region, and just sort of assumed the rest of the Sahel was farther south because of the terrain map. Though I do still find the concept of making the entire Sahara traversible iffy at best. I was considering creating adjacencies (used in the vanilla game between provinces divided by water, but divided by wasteland might work too) between some border provinces, but this didn't do much to the fact that players and AIs could and would send thousands of men marching through it for months with little issues. If we were to put provinces throughout the entire Sahara (which would be a considerable amount of work), this would still be possible. I'm under the impression that entire armies did not cross the Sahara, but that mainly trader caravans did, which doesn't really equate to needing traversible terrain (traders could just be assumed as part of the base income of some cities). And making it possible, maybe even easy (we are making the Sahara weak after all) for a crusader kingdom rule over half of it seems... off, somehow, in this era. I don't think putting the Sahara in with the current gameplay mechanics would work too well.

As I've said before, I'm no expert, and have no real notion of what the title arrangements of your province map would be. I went with my current map due in large part to finding resources telling me about the divisions of the Jolof Empire, the Ghana Empire, the Mali Empire, and their successors. I don't really know anything about the lands East of there. Implementing your entire province map would basically mean starting over entirely, note, and I have no real idea what duchies or kingdoms I'd assign any of it to (and I do like having the five members of the Jolof all have a county, instead of being entirely Cayor/Sine. Might I ask why Cayor instead of Waalo for the northernmore? I got the impression Waalo was more influential, thought I could be wrong). I might base some additional provinces off of it, if you wouldn't mind. And maybe yoinking the terrain map. But I don't really want to drop everything I have and replace it with your stuff. Unless you'd be willing to help with parts of definitions.csv, positions.txt, and/or landed_titles.txt?

Very interesting mod, good work!

I agree that being able to cross through the Sahara would just lead the maghreb people to conquer all of the sahel provinces. I'm also wondering about Mauretania, fearing they might be too much of a threat for them.

Can specific leaders reduce attrition in specific circumstances? You might make people of desert cultures leading armies have lower attrition in the desert. Make the desert attrition really high, that should help.

I would be willing to help, absolutely!

Armies did cross the Sahara regularly, the Almohads for instance conquered Morocco and then Spain from Koumbi Saleh, then a few hundred years later Morocco conquered the same area.

Last edited:
This looks great, and to be honest I prefer the scope of your mod rather then filling in all of Africa with provinces. Powerful yet distant from the affairs of Europe is a good tone for a mod like this.

Look at where in Siberia the land turns to wasteland. Its not that land past that is unlivable, but it is more the domain of scattered tribes then feudal kings.

The Ghana and Mali Empires, on the other hand, were a serious omission from this time period.

Edit: I would also recommend that you limit the number of 2-county Duchies that you create. Because holding 50% is enough to form it and I find it slightly weird to claim the title of Duke while holding 1 province somewhere in Western Sahara.

Last edited:
I don't think it'll be that easy to find rulers from the 11th century, but i'd love to help to fill in the known rulers from the time period, if you need any help with that?

Is this still coming out? I was really looking forward to it...

Since you're going working on the southern portion of the map a complaint I've heard and would like to pass on is about the difficulty caused by the absence of sea zones and ports around the Arabian penisula and opposite cross sea counties.

Right, my apologies for the silence. Didn't know I stirred up interest! Been having some internet troubles, and was slowed down trying to make up my mind about Mad King James' proposals. For now, I'm going to work on the original version of the mod.

So, having taken Alorand's advice to heart (now only Songhai is a twofer, and you'd haft've hacked your way through the rest of Africa to get that one), and gotten passable (for now) flags and history, I think I have something worth releasing! Ladies and gentlemen, the download link for the initial release of All the Way to Timbuktu is now part of the first post! Enjoy it, or don't, but be sure to have a look if you're interested!

I'm no modder at all, but I would love to help with the political/military/cultural distinctions of the Mali Empire, which I have studied greatly, and the Songhai, with which I am also familiar. Will any the the Sahelian regions/empires be playable, or will you have to be a European who conquers them?

This mod gives a CTD in the new 1.04 patch. During the loading screen, a popup comes up saying
"File exception:
Exception in:
C:\Projects\ClausewitzII\clausewitzlib\virtualfilesystem.cpp, line 572.
Description: Could not open file:"

This mod gives a CTD in the new 1.04 patch. During the loading screen, a popup comes up saying
"File exception:
Exception in:
C:\Projects\ClausewitzII\clausewitzlib\virtualfilesystem.cpp, line 572.
Description: Could not open file:"

We had that same problem in Terra Normannorrum, actually; took us a while to figure it out. Nuril did solve it, though;
I also have this problem and it is specifically when I try to load the Mod, yes. Vanilla works fine, but there's not really anything extraordinary that should cause the crash.

EDIT: I JUST FIXED IT! What you need to do is that, if your mod has a different map, go into default.map and change the line that refers to Topology to heightmap = "topology.bmp", they changed the command so it currently isn't loading Topology of the map (thus a graphical error)!

We added a province to Iceland, so that was breaking it for us. Obviously, this mod changes the map a LOT more, so I suspect this is probably the solution once more.