• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

as89z

Sergeant
4 Badges
Jun 13, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
Hello everyone,

I plan to make a mod with more mines then in vanila. As everyone knows their country history i would ask for help if you know any medieval mines in your countryes? Of course i will be doing resarch about these, but it would be much faster if any one can sugest some important medieval mines?

For now i have only made Novo Brdo mine in Serbia as obviusly im from there and i know about it....

So please feel free to give some sugestions to make my resarch faster....

Ok, for now i have gathered informations about 8 mines, here is list with their locations:

1) Novo Brdo -Country of Hvosno - barony Pristina
2) Trepča - Country of Hvosno - barony Zvečan
3) Brskovo - Country of Podrinje - barony Brskovo
4) Srebrenica - Country of Vrhbosna - barony Srebrenica
5) Kratovo - Country of Velbazhd - barony Kratovo
6) Chiprovtsi - Country of Vratsa - barony Kutlovitsa
7) Banská Štiavnica - Country of Hont - barony Selmecbánya
8) Wieliczka Salt Mine - Chiefdom of Sacz - barony Wieliczka

Of course not all of thse mines were very large and long lasting so i will be limiting some with their icome, and will make an event that after some time some of these mines run out, as they did in history (for example Brskovo and Novo Brdo).
They will still be profitable to build and exploit.

Also as most of mines were built in 13-14-15th centuary, i will make that they need some Late Medieval innovation (like Cranes Inovation), or will make an additional moded inovation.....

Please if you have some additional mines, or additional idea let me know.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello,

Ok for now i have totaly 14 mines for now.
Also as they all have different size, diferent metals and salt i need to consider how much icome they will all bring and other benefits....
But for now im mainly researching locations and materials.

1) Novo Brdo -Country of Hvosno - barony Pristina - silver
2) Trepča - Country of Hvosno - barony Zvečan - silver
3) Brskovo - Country of Podrinje - barony Brskovo - silver
4) Srebrenica - Country of Vrhbosna - barony Srebrenica - silver
5) Kratovo - Country of Velbazhd - barony Kratovo - Gold, silver, lead, iron and copper
6) Chiprovtsi - Country of Vratsa - barony Kutlovitsa - Gold, silver, lead, iron and copper
7) Banská Štiavnica - Country of Hont - barony Selmecbánya - silver and gold
8) Wieliczka Salt Mine - Chiefdom of Sacz - barony Wieliczka - salt
9) Stříbrná Skalice - Country of Praha - barony Vysehrad - silver
10) Busa del Pomar - Country of Trent - barony Trento - silver
11) Soli Salt mines - Country of Soly - barony Soli - salt
12) Bochnia Salt Mine - Chiefdom of Sacz - barony Bochnia - salt
13) Złoty Stok - Country of Nysa - barony Frankenstein - gold
14) Zlaté Hory - Country of Olomouc -barony Olomouc - gold

I of course have a large list of potencional additional mines, but i would like to investigate them more. Its much harder than i tought.....
If anyone knows any sugestions, let me know.

Best regards,

I haven't actually seen any mines in CK3, so some of these may already be in game, but here are a few:
  • Nishapur: Renowned as the source of the world's finest turquoise
  • Rayy: Very profitable silver mines at Tabarik, north of the city
  • Shahr-e Babak: Not exactly here, but the town of Chahak, a bit west of Shahr-e Babak, was known for its iron mines, steel furnaces, and swordmakers
  • Badghis: Jabal al-Fidda, already a barony in CK3, was a silver mining site (the name means "silver mountain")
  • Tabassa: The city of Majjana, although not depicted in CK3, had major silver mines (located in the general area of Meskiana)
  • East Tokharestan: Silver mines in the recesses of the valleys around Andarab (mentioned by Ibn Hawqal)
  • Badakhshan: Renowned for its mines during this period. The balas ruby, or spinel, was named after Badakhshan and mainly mined around the city of Yamkan, which also had silver mines. There were also the Lazward mines, named after the lapis lazuli extracted there
  • Wakhan: silver mines, mostly
There are also the Golkonda diamond mines in India, but I'm not sure of their timing, and they may have come after the CK3 time period

Reactions:
I haven't actually seen any mines in CK3, so some of these may already be in game, but here are a few:
  • Shahr-e Babak: Not exactly here, but the town of Chahak, a bit west of Shahr-e Babak, was known for its iron mines, steel furnaces, and swordmakers
  • Badghis: Jabal al-Fidda, already a barony in CK3, was a silver mining site (the name means "silver mountain")
  • Tabassa: The city of Majjana, although not depicted in CK3, had major silver mines (located in the general area of Meskiana)
  • East Tokharestan: Silver mines in the recesses of the valleys around Andarab (mentioned by Ibn Hawqal)
  • Badakhshan: Renowned for its mines during this period. The balas ruby, or spinel, was named after Badakhshan and mainly mined around the city of Yamkan, which also had silver mines. There were also the Lazward mines, named after the lapis lazuli extracted there
There are also the Golkonda diamond mines in India, but I'm not sure of their timing, and they may have come after the CK3 time period

Hello,

Thank you very much for all these sugestions i will investigate these mines and hopefully implement them in mod.

Hello,

So we have 28 mines for now, all in Europe mainly unfortunately,i plan to check the mines Trinculo sugested, so if i implement them as well, there will be about 40 minest in total (i have a couple more which are not on this list still investigating them)
Also i cant find any medieval mines on Iberian Peninsula.... It seams there is no record of these at least not easaly accesible and on english.....
So if there is anyone from Spain or Portugal that can advise about this it would be great....
Here is list for now, any objections or sugestions let me know.

1) Novo Brdo -Country of Hvosno - barony Pristina - silver
5) Kratovo - Country of Velbazhd - barony Kratovo - Gold, silver, lead, iron and copper
6) Chiprovtsi - Country of Vratsa - barony Kutlovitsa - Gold, silver, lead, iron and copper
7) Banská Štiavnica - Country of Hont - barony Selmecbánya - silver and gold
8) Wieliczka Salt Mine - Chiefdom of Sacz - barony Wieliczka - salt
9) Stříbrná Skalice - Country of Praha - barony Vysehrad - silver
10) Busa del Pomar - Country of Trent - barony Trento - silver
11) Soli Salt mines - Country of Soly - barony Soli - salt
12) Bochnia Salt Mine - Chiefdom of Sacz - barony Bochnia - salt
13) Złoty Stok - Country of Nysa - barony Frankenstein - gold
14) Zlaté Hory - Country of Olomouc -barony Olomouc - gold
15) Winlaton - Earldom of Dunholm - barony Dunholm -coal
16) Cockfield Fell - Earldom of Dunholm - barony Darlington - coal
17) Swannington - Earldom of Leicestershire - barony Leicester - coal
18) Oakthorpe - Earldom of Leicestershire - barony Bosworth - coal
19) Devon tin mines - Earldom of Devon - barony Exeter - tin
20) Cornwall tin mines - Earldom of Cornwall - barony Helston - tin
21) Freiberg mines - Chiefdom of Dresden - barony Freiberg - silver and tin
22) Krupka mines - Country of Litomerice - barony Bilina - tin
23) Forest of Dean - Earldom of Herefordshire - barony Hereford - iron and coal
24) Alston - Earldom of Cumberland - barony Carleol - silver
25) Elsecar - Earldom of the West Riding - barony Sheffield - coal
26) Mostyn Colliery - Lordship of Perfeddwlad - barony Wrecsam - coal
27) Khewra Salt Mine - Thikana of Bhera - barony Bhera - salt
28) Wealden iron mines - Earldom of Kent - barony Tonbridge - iron

• 2Love
Reactions:

Hello,

From your list i only find some relevant informations for these 4 mines:

1) Nishapur Turquoise mine - Marzqanate of Nishapur - barony Nishapur - Turquoise

2) Rayy silver mine - Sheihdom of Rayy - barony Rayy - silver

3) Chahak iron mine - Marzqanate of Darbjerd - barony Nariz - iron

4) Badakhshan - Ruby and Spinel mines - didnt decide of position in which barony, still investigating.

Rest i cant find any relevant informations.....
So if you have any links that can provide these informations please pass to me.

Ok so here is final list of all mines this mod will add:

####silver mines = 12

1) Novo Brdo - Country of Hvosno - barony Pristina - silver

5) Kratovo - Country of Velbazhd - barony Kratovo - silver

6) Chiprovtsi - Country of Vratsa - barony Kutlovitsa - silver

7) Stříbrná Skalice - Country of Praha - barony Vysehrad - silver

8) Busa del Pomar - Country of Trent - barony Trento - silver

9) Alston - Earldom of Cumberland - barony Carleol - silver

10) Rayy silver mine - Sheihdom of Rayy - barony Rayy - silver

11) Tamdoult silver - Sheikdom of Draa - barony Aqqa - silver

12) Freiberg mines - Chiefdom of Dresden - barony Freiberg - silver and tin

####Gold mines = 3

3) Banská Štiavnica - Country of Hont - barony Selmecbánya - silver + gold

14) Złoty Stok - Country of Nysa - barony Frankenstein - gold

15) Zlaté Hory - Country of Olomouc -barony Olomouc - gold

####Salt mines = 5

16) Wieliczka Salt Mine - Chiefdom of Sacz - barony Wieliczka - salt

17) Soli Salt mines - Country of Soly - barony Soli - salt

18) Bochnia Salt Mine - Chiefdom of Sacz - barony Bochnia - salt

19) Khewra Salt Mine - Thikana of Bhera - barony Bhera - salt

20) Lüneburg salt mines - country of Luneburg - barony Lüneburg - salt

####Coal=6

21) Winlaton - Earldom of Dunholm - barony Dunholm - coal

22) Cockfield Fell - Earldom of Dunholm - barony Darlington - coal

23) Swannington - Earldom of Leicestershire - barony Leicester - coal

24) Oakthorpe - Earldom of Leicestershire - barony Bosworth - coal

25) Elsecar - Earldom of the West Riding - barony Sheffield - coal

26) Mostyn Colliery - Lordship of Perfeddwlad - barony Wrecsam - coal

####Tin mines=3

27) Devon tin mines - Earldom of Devon - barony Exeter - tin

28) Cornwall tin mines - Earldom of Cornwall - barony Helston - tin

29) Krupka mines - Country of Litomerice - barony Bilina - tin

####Iron=3

30) Forest of Dean - Earldom of Herefordshire - barony Hereford - iron and coal

31) Wealden iron mines - Earldom of Kent - barony Tonbridge - iron

32) Chahak iron mine - Marzqanate of Darbjerd - barony Nariz - iron

####Gem mines=2

33) Nishapur Turquoise mine - Marzqanate of Nishapur - barony Nishapur - Turquoise

34) Badakhshan ruby mines - Marzoanate of Badakhshan - barony Badakhshan - ruby

so as there are different materials these mine have, they will make different icomes, modifiers, etc....
here is plan

1) silver mines:
-cost = 400 (each additinal lvl cost +100)
-time for build = 6 years
-icome = 1 (each additional level + 0,6)
-Monthly Development = +5% (each additional lvl +5%)

2) gold mines
-icome = 1,5 (each additional level + 0,9)
-Temple Building Construction Cost = - 5%

3) salt mines

-cost = 100 (each additinal lvl cost +50)
-time for build = 4 years
-icome = 0,25 (each additional level + 0,25)
-Army Maintenance= -2% (each additional lvl -1%)
-Levy Reinforcement Rate = +5% (each additional lvl +5%)

4) coal mines

-cost = 150 (each additinal lvl cost +50)
-Men-at-Arms Maintenance = -4% (each additional lvl -2%)

5) Tin mines

-cost = 150 (each additinal lvl cost +50)
-Garrison = 50 (each additional lvl +50)
-Men-at-Arms Maintenance = -2% (each additional lvl -1%)

6) Iron mines

-cost = 200 (each additinal lvl cost +50)
-icome = 0,5 (each additional level + 0,25)
-Levies = 50 (each additional lvl 50)
-Men-at-Arms Maintenance = -2% (each additional lvl -1%)

7) Gem mines

-icome = 1,5 (each additional level + 0,9)
-Monthly Development = +10% (each additional lvl +5%)
-Holding taxes = +10%(each additional lvl +5%)
-Monthly Prestige = +0,2 (each additional lvl +0,1)
-Monthly Piety = +10% (each additional lvl +5%)
-Temple Building Construction Cost =-5%

If any one hase any sugestions let me know, i plan to finish this in next 2 weeks and release first version.

second version is planed to make some of minest colapse after some time like it did in reality....
and to make some additional inovation which will be needed for building mines, and hopefully some additional mines.
for now we will make use of the vanila inovations:
for lvl 1 you need inovation Crop rotation
for lvl 2 you need innovation Manorialism
for lvl 3 you need Windmills
for lvl 4 you need Cranes

So that that we keep in touch in about 2 week with first version, and ideas or informations please let me know.
If anyone gives out some good advise or some additional mine before i make version 1.0, i will try to implament it.

Reactions:
For salt, you should add a mine in Chester (Cheshire), England. Salt has been mined there since Roman times, specifically at Middlewich and Nantwich.

Hello,

From your list i only find some relevant informations for these 4 mines:

1) Nishapur Turquoise mine - Marzqanate of Nishapur - barony Nishapur - Turquoise

2) Rayy silver mine - Sheihdom of Rayy - barony Rayy - silver

3) Chahak iron mine - Marzqanate of Darbjerd - barony Nariz - iron

4) Badakhshan - Ruby and Spinel mines - didnt decide of position in which barony, still investigating.

Rest i cant find any relevant informations.....
So if you have any links that can provide these informations please pass to me.

Most of them, except for Majjana, can be found in The Lands of the Eastern Caliphate

For Majjana, see here

Gold was mined in Transylvania dating back to the pre Roman times (when it was called Dacia), all the way up to the Communist dictatorship after WWII. If I was going to pick just one spot I would suggest placing a gold mine in Turdu Province, Barony of Aranyosbánya in game.

Hello,

Only problem is that i cant find any relevant informations about MEDIEVAL mining in Transilvania.
Yes i know Saxons setteled there in 11/12th centuary, but i cant find any informations about medieval mides.....
All info say there was some mining activities but nothing specific......

I can remember that in school when we tought about medieval Serbia there was mention about Saxons arriving from Transilvania and with them there was start of mining in Serbia......
But in all my serch i cant find any Transilvanian medieval mines that 100% existed......

So if you have any better source let me know, as i would like at least to have some authentical source that prove this.....

Hello,

Only problem is that i cant find any relevant informations about MEDIEVAL mining in Transilvania.
Yes i know Saxons setteled there in 11/12th centuary, but i cant find any informations about medieval mides.....
All info say there was some mining activities but nothing specific......

I can remember that in school when we tought about medieval Serbia there was mention about Saxons arriving from Transilvania and with them there was start of mining in Serbia......
But in all my serch i cant find any Transilvanian medieval mines that 100% existed......

So if you have any better source let me know, as i would like at least to have some authentical source that prove this.....

My understanding is that mining of precious metals, as well as iron, and some other minerals, was scattered around Transylvania throughout the medieval period, but was not always well documented due to the region being frequently invaded and having various levels of control throughout much of that time (especially pre 1000 AD). I was able to visit the national history museum multiple times, but that was 15-20+ years ago and I do not remember if there was any verified documents recorded for the Alburnus Maior mine (the Dacian/Roman gold mine I linked previously) during the CK3 timeframe.

One Romanian geology professor estimated that ~half a ton of gold was mined from modern day Tryansylvania during the medieval time frame,
the research paper does not focus on that time period specifically, but I found it pretty interesting nonetheless https://romaniamegalitica.blogspot.com/2013/10/resursele-de-aur-ale-romaniei-au-fost.html

RTEmagicC_63_jpg.jpg

In any case, I definitely can understand wanting more specific and definitely verified locations/dates for the mod. As far as I am aware, the most well known, verified medieval date and location mine would be the Salina Turda salt mines near Cluj (current day), province of Turda in CK3, with verified documents dating it at least as far back as 1075 AD. https://www.ancient-origins.net/anc...eval-salt-mine-subterranean-theme-park-007890 It's a major tourist destination for almost 30 years now, so there is allot of information available in English for it. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
My understanding is that mining of precious metals, as well as iron, and some other minerals, was scattered around Transylvania throughout the medieval period, but was not always well documented due to the region being frequently invaded and having various levels of control throughout much of that time (especially pre 1000 AD). I was able to visit the national history museum multiple times, but that was 15-20+ years ago and I do not remember if there was any verified documents recorded for the Alburnus Maior mine (the Dacian/Roman gold mine I linked previously) during the CK3 timeframe.

One Romanian geology professor estimated that ~half a ton of gold was mined from modern day Tryansylvania during the medieval time frame,
the research paper does not focus on that time period specifically, but I found it pretty interesting nonetheless https://romaniamegalitica.blogspot.com/2013/10/resursele-de-aur-ale-romaniei-au-fost.html

RTEmagicC_63_jpg.jpg

In any case, I definitely can understand wanting more specific and definitely verified locations/dates for the mod. As far as I am aware, the most well known, verified medieval date and location mine would be the Salina Turda salt mines near Cluj (current day), province of Turda in CK3, with verified documents dating it at least as far back as 1075 AD. https://www.ancient-origins.net/anc...eval-salt-mine-subterranean-theme-park-007890 It's a major tourist destination for almost 30 years now, so there is allot of information available in English for it. :)

Hello,

Yes thank you I also found this and will add it to mod.
I also found that there was silver mining in town caled Radna or Rodna, so will add that as well....

I think Transylvania probably had much more mines or mining activity in medieval age but unfortunately i cant find and relevant informations....

Ok so here is final list of all mines this mod will add for this version that is planed to be finished by 24th of October:

####silver mines = 21

1) Novo Brdo - Country of Hvosno - barony Pristina
2) Trepča - Country of Hvosno - barony Zvečan
3) Brskovo - Country of Podrinje - barony Brskovo
4) Srebrenica - Country of Vrhbosna - barony Srebrenica
5) Kratovo - Country of Velbazhd - barony Kratovo
6) Chiprovtsi - Country of Vratsa - barony Kutlovitsa
7) Stříbrná Skalice - Country of Praha - barony Vysehrad
8) Busa del Pomar - Country of Trent - barony Trento
9) Alston - Earldom of Cumberland - barony Carleol
10) Rayy silver mine - Sheihdom of Rayy - barony Rayy
11) Tamdoult silver - Sheikdom of Draa - barony Aqqa
12) Freiberg mines - Chiefdom of Dresden - barony Freiberg
13) Jihlava - Country of Jihlava - barony Jihlava
14) Gelnica - Country of Spis - barony Spis
15) Radna - Country of Beszterce - barony Radna
16) Longobucco - Wilayah of Rossano - barony Rossano
17) Rocca San Silvestro - Grand City of Pisa - barony Piombino
18) Mines of Montieri - Country of Siena - barony Siena
19) Friesach - Country of Karnten - barony Sankt Veit
20) Goslar - Country of Gottingen - barony Goslar
21) Silvermines - Earldom of Thomond - barony Roscrea

####Gold mines = 5

22) Banská Štiavnica - Country of Hont - barony Selmecbánya
23) Złoty Stok - Country of Nysa - barony Frankenstein
24) Zlaté Hory - Country of Olomouc -barony Olomouc
25) Telkibánya - Contry of Abov - barony Abov
26) Mahd adh Dhahab - Chiefdom of Harrat Rahat - barony As-Sawariqiya

####Salt mines = 7

27) Wieliczka Salt Mine - Chiefdom of Sacz - barony Wieliczka - salt
28) Soli Salt mines - Country of Soly - barony Soli - salt
29) Bochnia Salt Mine - Chiefdom of Sacz - barony Bochnia - salt
30) Khewra Salt Mine - Thikana of Bhera - barony Bhera - salt
31) Lüneburg salt mines - country of Luneburg - barony Lüneburg
32) Salina Turda - Country of Torda - barony Torda
33) Middlewich salt-pits - Earldom of Cheshire - barony of Northwich

####Coal=6

34) Winlaton - Earldom of Dunholm - barony Dunholm
35) Cockfield Fell - Earldom of Dunholm - barony Darlington
36) Swannington - Earldom of Leicestershire - barony Leicester
37) Oakthorpe - Earldom of Leicestershire - barony Bosworth
38) Elsecar - Earldom of the West Riding - barony Sheffield
39) Mostyn Colliery - Lordship of Perfeddwlad - barony Wrecsam

####Tin mines=3

40) Devon tin mines - Earldom of Devon - barony Exeter
41) Cornwall tin mines - Earldom of Cornwall - barony Helston
42) Krupka mines - Country of Litomerice - barony Bilina

####Iron=4

43) Forest of Dean - Earldom of Herefordshire - barony Hereford
44) Wealden iron mines - Earldom of Kent - barony Tonbridge
45) Chahak iron mine - Marzqanate of Darbjerd - barony Nariz
46) Abbey of Rievaulx - Earldom of the North Riding - barony or Yarlestre

####Gem mines=2

47) Nishapur Turquoise mine - Marzqanate of Nishapur - barony Nishapur - Turquoise
48) Badakhshan ruby mines - Marzoanate of Badakhshan - barony Badakhshan - ruby

So in total new 48 mines!!!!

I wanted to thank anyone who showed interes in this MOD, and especialy anyone who contributed with informations.

We will be in touch in about 1 week with first version of MOD.

• 1Like
Reactions: