• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tintiam

Captain
9 Badges
Jul 14, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
Now compatible with patch 2.5.2 and Conclave!
I have also added a 2.4.5 version at the bottom of this post

Note: I can no longer edit the corresponding reddit thread because it is now archived (by being over six months old).

A
New Old World

SHORT DESCRIPTION
:

Main Mod:
A New Old World (aworld) - new balanced dejure setup and starting situation (79 new kingdoms, 58 altered base-game kingdoms), also changes decisions/events to match the new dejure setup

Big Sub-Mods:

A New Old World - Map (aworld map) - adds 74 new provinces to further balance new kingdoms (recommended)
A New Old World - Improved Mechanics (aworld mechanics) - changes various base-game files and adds decisions such as forcing a marriage on a prisoner, designating primary spouse as muslim, re-allowing siblings that are lovers to marry, disabling the Sunset Invasion, and more
A New Old World - Missions (aworld missions) - adds various decisions that are similar to "mission decisions" such as creating hungary or restoring the roman empire

Lesser Sub-Mods:

A New Old World - 4 New Cultures (aworld cultures) - adds Cornish, Drehovian, Soninke and Songhai
A New Old World - Celtic Paganism (aworld celtic) - adds Celtic Paganism, a reformable pagan religion
A New Old World - Improved Hellenism (aworld hellenic) - gives hellenic pagans a holy order, secular religious leader, and great holy wars
A New Old World - Improved Hinduism (aworld hindu) - adds a Hindu religious leader, Hindu great holy war, and some tweaks to Hindu and Buddhist holy orders
A New Old World - Improved Lollardy (aworld lollard) - adds a decision to create religious head
A New Old World - Clean Graphics (aworld clean) - nice clean graphics for nations and borders (can also be used on the vanilla CK2 map without using the main mod)

Download Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bc2w2n7422crb5l/

LONG DESCRIPTION:

GM3wI6o.png

The main point of this mod is to change the dejure setup of the world, aiming for kingdoms which are all approximately as powerful as their neighbors. All kingdoms are completely controlled by a king at the start of the game (1.1.1000), creating a balanced setup where every playthrough will be drastically different from any previous playthrough. In total there are now 137 dejure kingdoms (non-titular), 79 of which are new, 56 return from the base-game, and 2 are base-game titular kingdoms that now have dejure land.

Some images:

A0gO4v1.png

w3VSLDy.png

4SjHvLV.png

QyXpjFu.png

However, there is much more. There are a handful of so-called "Day-One" decisions, which can only be taken on the first day of a new game. These decisions will help customize the world further, allowing the player to change the setup of the world to their heart's content, should they want yet another different experience. Some examples are: separating the world into independent duchies; picking kingdoms to turn into merchant republics; having every king replaced by a queen; making everyone tribal; activating the Zealots (Jewish Holy Order) immediately.

There's also decisions that you can take (not just on the first day) that allow you to swap a dejure kingdom (or empire) for another one that better fits your religion. For example, the kingdom of Lusitania can be swapped for the Jewish Kingdom of Sepharad, should its ruler be Jewish. It can also be swapped back, should Sepharad be in the hands of a non-Jew.

Some Day-One Decision images:

Dz4VJ5I.jpg

zgeGlqb.jpg

nRb54cj.jpg

E7XqHbj.jpg

aPDUKek.jpg

gZLci98.jpg

But there's more. The mod has been made extremely modular and flexible. It includes several sub-mods which can be turned on or off (in the launcher) to customize the world even more. The main sub-mod is "A New World - Map", which adds 74 new provinces, greatly improving the new dejure kingdoms in West Africa and Arabia. But, because it is modular, the mod can be played without using this, or any combination of other sub-mods. Some other sub-mods include: new Celtic pagan religion; 4 new cultures; improved Lollardy; improved Hellenism.

Another sub-mod is "A New World - Missions", which adds a handful of "goal-driven decisions", which provide the player with similar goals as the "Restore Roman Empire", or "Create Hungary" decisions. For instance, there is a "goal-driven decision" when playing as any Crusader State, where the goal is to restore Edessa, the First Crusader State. Passing the required goals will give the ruler a new dejure kingdom. This sub-mod doesn't overwrite anything and really should have just been included in the main mod, but if for whatever reason you don't want to see the added decisions in the intrigue menu, you can choose to not activate this sub-mod.

Then there is "A New World - Mechanics", which is the most likely to be incompatible with other mods, because it overwrites the most base-game files. It changes some base-game decisions, such as allowing Hellenic Pagans to borrow from Jews, or improving the targeted Seduce decision, giving way more flexibility in potential targets to characters that have mastered Seduction. This sub-mod also adds new decisions, such as allowing a character to force an imprisoned character to marry them, or once again allowing siblings to marry siblings if they are lovers (which was added in patch 2.3, but removed in 2.4). The Sunset Invasion can also be cancelled, allowing a player to play with Nahua culture and Aztec religion (through ruler-designer), without having to deal with the overseas Horde. Among other things, province conversion gets a few improvements as well.

Images from playthroughs:

6j4Ifqe.jpg

X3Ozgri.jpg

GkqDDHZ.jpg

u0Y7MlO.jpg

g79ILt3.jpg

o0y11TM.jpg

Some final notes:

All changes in overwritten base-game decisions and events are described at the top of their files. In the main mod ("A New World"), a few base-game decision and event files had to be overwritten, in order for them to match the new dejure setup.

There is another "Day-One" decision - Randomize World. This completely randomizes the starting state of all rulers in the world. This creates an extremely unique playthrough. It's possible that you become a count, or duke (or maybe even emperor). Many rulers become vassals of other rulers. This can create a very difficult game (or if very lucky, an easy one - but don't count on it), or it can turn into an interesting game where you battle it out with fellow vassals to claim the title of your new liege. However, this does not generally result in a balanced starting setup, which was the original goal of this mod. It can create scenarios similar to the base-game bookmarks.

I recommend turning "A New World - Map" on if you use the main mod. If you have sub-mods enabled in a saved game, make sure they are also enabled when you load that saved game again.

Required DLC:

None

Compatible DLC:

All - but EU4 converter may have some issues

Compatible mods:
  • Most small mods should be compatible (but depends on usage of A New World sub-mods)
  • Overhaul mods are not compatible
  • HIP can be made compatible (assuming non-SWMH map), but it requires some messing around with files
Issues:

I noticed when playing as a nomad and choosing a Day-One separate world decision, there is some buggy behavior. This is fixed by saving and reloading. Smooth sailing after that.

Troubleshooting:

It is recommended to save and reload on the second day of a new game, especially on ironman mode. For whatever reason, this fixes some issues and helps with performance as well.

Future Goals:

There are still some minor features left to implement. These are mostly for the Mechanics sub-mod and the Missions sub-mod. There's also ideas for a Hindu religious leader sub-mod (UPDATE: this has since been added), as well as a Waldensian improvement sub-mod.

Credits:

Perry7484 - framework for balearic provinces
Corndog_BR - dejure duchy cb
Kryo - framework for graphical mods
HIP - some flags, framework for some provinces, bring child home, three cultures: soninke, songhai and cornish
WTWSMS - framework for arabian provinces (specifically the relevant provinces.bmp part and most county names), reformed generic pagan icons

For those who want to use patch version 2.4.5, use this download link instead of the one at the bottom

Checksum as of 2016/03/04 : URCA

Download Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bc2w2n7422crb5l/

Last edited:
Reactions:
Not had much of a deep look, but from what I've seen, me like.

Really like this mod! My only thing is that it would be cool to have randomly generated characters for each kingdom title for every game. Otherwise, its nice!

Really like this mod! My only thing is that it would be cool to have randomly generated characters for each kingdom title for every game. Otherwise, its nice!

Could you explain what you mean? All kingdoms at the start have the randomly generated 5-10 or so courtiers, including one female. Or do you mean the rulers that are created when you use the Split Kingdoms or Randomize World decision? Well those new rulers get a bunch of random courtiers after about 1-2 weeks.

Or do you mean you want all rulers to have even more random courtiers?

No problem. I mean that each king is randomized, that way even different playthroughs can happen.

No problem. I mean that each king is randomized, that way even different playthroughs can happen.

Ahh. Well all their stats and traits are all random. The only thing the same is the name and dynasty name. The name is necessary for the history files. The dynasty name is not necessary, but without it you cannot use the Random Ruler button when selecting who to play.

But because the traits and stats are randomized, in most cases the rulers with highest martial will have an early game advantage (more troops). But who those rulers are will be different in every playthrough

Oh ok. That is good enough for me. Thanks for answering.

Mod has been updated again. Most importantly, a bug was fixed where if you first used Day One Feudal to turn everyone feudal, and then used Day One Split Kingdoms to split into independent duchies, the baronies are now properly handed out to the new lords.

A bug where you couldn't form HRE has been fixed as well. Also, Roman culture now has their own retinue and cultural building. The full changelog is in the todo.txt file

New checksum with all sub-mods enabled : KZCJ

Not that big of a problem, but opening the era selection screen crashes the game. Also why not have the tech start at the year 1000 like the mod, so you don't start with so much stuff already researched?

Not that big of a problem, but opening the era selection screen crashes the game.

I have fixed the crash bug.

Other changes include:
-caliphates can now actually be created,
-new day one make egypt shia decision
-new way to create shia caliphate

Full changelog is in the todo.txt file

New checksum : IRNW

Also why not have the tech start at the year 1000 like the mod, so you don't start with so much stuff already researched?

Personally I prefer having some tech already finished. But I could make this into a sub-mod if you want.

Last edited:
Ooh interesting concept, a little too many submods though, is it safe to just put the sub-mod stuff inside the main folder so my launcher isn't too crowded? CotC and After the End both have a lot of sub-mods that already take up too much space in my mod folder.

Also, what map are you using? Everything seems flat and reminds me of another mod's map, I think Diadochi Kings?

Reactions:
So, The queens of the world day one decision seems kind of flawed. Though it makes all non muslim/merchants female, it doesn't change the succession laws, which kind of ruins the point because it's over after one generation. Might I suggest somehow making them flip so that when the queens of the world decision is taken agnatic and agnatic-cognatic are switched with enatic and enatic-cognatic for all countries save republics and muslims? I took the liberty of checking if succession_laws.txt registers global flags, and it does, so fortunately it wouldn't be so hard to add this feature.

Ooh interesting concept, a little too many submods though, is it safe to just put the sub-mod stuff inside the main folder so my launcher isn't too crowded? CotC and After the End both have a lot of sub-mods that already take up too much space in my mod folder.

Also, what map are you using? Everything seems flat and reminds me of another mod's map, I think Diadochi Kings?

I've tried to make nothing overwrite each other, so as far as I know you can merge all contents of the sub-mods into the main-mod folder and there shouldn't be any overwriting. If there is, let me know and I'll tell you what to do.

The map looks flat because of the Clean Graphics sub-mod which is based on several of Kryo's graphical mods, but it uses different values in the configuration file.

So, The queens of the world day one decision seems kind of flawed. Though it makes all non muslim/merchants female, it doesn't change the succession laws, which kind of ruins the point because it's over after one generation. Might I suggest somehow making them flip so that when the queens of the world decision is taken agnatic and agnatic-cognatic are switched with enatic and enatic-cognatic for all countries save republics and muslims? I took the liberty of checking if succession_laws.txt registers global flags, and it does, so fortunately it wouldn't be so hard to add this feature.

Yeah it is somewhat flawed. I wanted it to be a lot more but there are two reasons why I haven't done that (yet) :

1. I have been holding back on changing the succession laws file. I wanted to change it with the Celtic Pagan mod (giving them True Cognatic), but I also wanted to change it in the Mechanics mod (enabling Enatic). As it stands now it can be used by other people's mods because I haven't changed it. But maybe in the future.

2. Since patch 2.4, the AI will not pursue matrilinneal marriages. So if it's all women rules, you'd see the dynasty change every generation. Maybe that's not a big deal though.

Here's something I can do though:

Have an on_marriage event that swaps a normal marriage with a matrillineal marriage (except if Patrician or Muslim). Also, or perhaps instead of this, it could turn on Enatic succession.

But if you check out the Better Gender Laws mod, the author describes how badly the AI is at female rulers and enatic succession. They will still hand out titles to men instead of women.

But I can still put it in if you want.

Oh and one final thing, for anyone reading this. I still need a color for k_iram ! I just can't find anything that fits with the surroundings. It looks a lot better when Oman and Qatar don't exist. And Oman and Qatar look a lot better when Iram doesn't exist. I've already changed Iram's color a ton of times (right now it's green, but in the main post image it is dark grey), but I am up for suggestions!

I think Iram might do well to be some kind of blue (although not as light as the kingdom in Germany), or maybe a kind of yellow.

I've deleted the post of an earlier update because just now I have made another update, to incorporate requests from this thread. New checksum is GLDF, it's compatible with any previous saves (most updates are).

Some of the changes:

-2 new missions (Crusader State Thessalonica, and Unify Islam - similar to Mend Great Schism but for islam)
-Create Rum improvements
-when a character is caught committing adultery, their liege gets a valid imprisonment reason (only in A New World - Mechanics)
-new Day One Remove Romans decision (replaces romans with italians, also builds italian culture buildings)
-improved Day One Queens of the World decision, making titles have enatic succession
-also, if picked Day One Queens of the World, and using A New World - Mechanics, throughout the rest of the game, titles will flip to Enatic if they aren't Enatic (this event is neccessary to counteract the way enatic is treated by the base-game). So now Female rulers will continue to rule the world, instead of just for one generation! (although the AI will still appoint male rulers, but they will become female after one generation)
-marry_captive decision now only if not close relative (unless zoroastrian or messalian)
-create_fraticelli_papacy and create_iconoclast_patriarchy now trigger narrative events
-new flag for e_balkans

Full changelog is in the todo.txt file

But if you check out the Better Gender Laws mod, the author describes how badly the AI is at female rulers and enatic succession. They will still hand out titles to men instead of women.
Not to mention they've tweaked matrialinneal marriages.