• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gladdig_kaga

Captain
62 Badges
Sep 20, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
A New World, The Dawn of Empires
This mod is no longer under development. An entirely new version of it is being worked on and currently being discussed here https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-new-world-the-dawn-of-empires-2.1007526/.

Introduction
Welcome to A New World, The Dawn of Empires!
This mod aims at creating history from scratch. Instead of playing with the same old kingdoms and empires, this world starts from scratch where it is up to you, your friends and the AI to make history.
This mod supports all languages. This mod has english and spanish localisation. That means that when playing this mod with english, german or french as chosen language the content of this mod will be shown in english. If you play with spanish as chosen language the content of this mod will be in spanish.
The latest version is an alpha and has many map bugs.

Features
Unique map made specifically for this mod.
The game starts between year 51 and 111.
The ending year is year 145300 (You'll probably never get to that year).
All counties start as independent.
All counties start with only one holding, but the potential of getting seven.
All duchies start with an unique culture and an unique religion.
All religions have the potential of getting a religious leader.
All religions have heresies.
For creating higher titles than duke you need a certain amount of power. This way new kingdoms and empires will be created as the game goes along.
You have Holy war casus belli against all infidels and heretics.
Under special conditions you can create holy seats which functions as a pope for your religion, with everything from excommunications and crusades.
Culture can spread via ports.
All counties will have superfast culture spread until year 111. (If you start at year 111 this will not apply.)
The AI is superagressive until the year 111.
You are recomended to start the game in year 71!

Download
The mod is delivered as two mods. Both should be used simultaneously.
Works with Patch v1.092:
Version 2.0 Alpha
(This version is not compatible with saves from older versions.)
Works with Patch v1.091:
Version 1.081
Works with Patch v1.09:
Version 1.08 (This version is not compatible with saves from older versions.)
Works with Patch v1.08x:
Version 1.08Beta (This version is not compatible with saves from older versions.)
Version 1.07
Works with Patch v1.07x:
Version 1.06
Version 1.06Beta (This version is not compatible with saves from older versions.)
Version 1.05 (This version is not compatible with saves from older versions.)
Version 1.04 (This version is not compatible with saves from older versions.)
Works with Patch v1.06x:
Version 1.03 (This version is not compatible with saves from older versions.)
Version 1.02
Version 1.01
Version 1.00

Bugs
All bugs and imbalances are to be reported here.

FAQ
Q: Why is the mod uploaded as two mods?
A: Parts of the mod was created using Measter's Abound Titular Title Generator and therefore it was easier to keep it the way his program made it. Both should be used at the same time.

Q: Why can't I create any titles?
A: You aren't using the both mods or you aren't civilized.

Q: How do I become civilized?
A: You wait until year 111. You should become civilized within a few years. Unless you somehow manage to gain the savage trait.

Q: I loose almost all counties upon civilizing!
A: That's how it's designed. The point of the first few years is to set up the cultures. After that the real game begins.

Q: The game goes really slow!
A: This mod is a bit heavier than vanilla. Some computers might not take it. But the starting years are much laggier than the years after that, so if you are experiencing lag at the beginning it will probably go away.

Q: Why can't I create a duchy?
A: You can not create any higher titles until you become civilized.

Q: How do I create a Kingdom/Empire?
A: For a kingdom title you must own atleast 4 duchy titles or not belonging to any kingdom de jure and be a duke. For Empires you must own 4 kingdom titles or have 50 de jure and de facto provinces inside your empire.

Q: How do I create a religious head?
A: If the religious authority of a religion is high enough for a long enough time while at the same time there bing an anti-pope, the anti-pope can become the real one if there is none. Only heresies can have religious heads. An antipope can be created out of any priest with your religion with a title higher than baron. (As long as you're a heretic).
However, if your religion is a reformed heresy it is much simpler than that, you just become a religious head yourself by creating the title as you would create any kingdom title.

Q: My game get's more and more unstable the more I play!
A: Might be the same problem as above.

Q: I have black flags everywhere!
A: Your best bet is that it is the memory problem and have the same answer as the problem above.
You might need to clear the cache. I did so deleting the gfx folder in my instalation folder, then let steam update my folders again.
Some people have suggested deleting the gfx in \\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II. This I haven't tested myself.

Changelog
Version 2.01 alpha (to be released)
Removed a bug with the balancing modifier adding levy size.
All sea province names are now correctly unique.
Made child mortality a bit less frequent.
Updated parts of the map.
Cultures only spread from neighbouring provinces now during the horde phase.

Version 2.0 alpha
Created a unique map.
Made the mod compatable with 1.092
Remade quite a few features to run smoother.
Tried to balance out the mod in general.
Different rules for creating kingdoms at places lacking de jure kingdoms.
Made child mortality higher.
Made polygamy allowed in some religions.
Battles now gives much more warscore than occupying provinces.
Changed the unit types of savages to archers and light infrantry.

Version 1.081
Fixed a bug with a mayor siezing provinces from the top liege of realms.
Made the mod compatable with 1.091

Version 1.08
Changed what is needed for changing to different crown laws. You can only change to some if you have high enough crown authority and currently have a similar law.
When you come out of barbarianism you will have elective law.
Added mercenaries.
Made the game compatable with 1.09
Added a few events and decisions to keep religious authority high. Only heresies have religious heads.
A bunch of cash will be given to civilizing people.
Disabled the most dangerous epedemics.
Made the introduction of the epidemics slower.
Hordes will declare war on any horde, even of their own culture.
On rare occations hordes will declare savage invasion on a civilized realm.
Added localisation to all baronies.
Added more culture prefixes.
Removed the middle and low prefix (as I hate seing those on a throne, especially mine).
Added more heresies.
Made culture hard to spread inland, but pretty easy in port provinces.
Made it possible for provinces to change from the liege's culture, if the owner have another one.
A small number of soldiers will pop up in every province of a barbarian whenever a province is lost through the horde event.
If a kingdom or empire has the crownlaws at it's lowest, and the king/emperor have an isolated demesneprovince with a town in it, the mayor might take control of the entire province.
Lost my patchnotes, so probably some other things I forgot to mention.

Version 1.08Beta
Added a horde invasion event, to make hordes come back later in the game.
To create an empire you need 60 provinces inside your kingdom now.
Remade the horde system so it feels more like hordes. It will also now give results much faster, which means that the recomended years to play hordes before civilizing the world will be 20 years.
Hordes no longer automaticly declare war on civilized people.
Made the transaction to civilized cultures be better, so that one culture isn't born on two different places.
Enabled epidemics.
Made building new holdings much more expensive.
Released alot of CPU power being wasted by redesigning the create holy seat decision. Now you create an antipope and if you manage to have the religious authority high enough he will become a religious leader.
Enabled turkish succession and the appointment of bishops and antipopes, but only if they have a higher title than baron.
Added alot of new provinces for the terra incognita. Changed some of the de jure duchies, with no regards to history or real geography to make them more balanced and look better.
Finally added a trigger that adds kingdoms to the empires de jure territory upon creation of a new empire (yes for real this time).
You can change to true cognatic if your ruler is female.

Version 1.07
Removed the savage trait for barbarians. That trait will have a different prupose.
Enabled crusades for all religions with a religious leader.
Fixed a bug where sometimes you couldn't create a religious leader.
Made barbarians produce alot of children. Every time a barbarian conquers a province a courtier of the provinces culture will show up, pregnant with the conquerers child...
For barbarians all bastards are legitimised.
Made the entire court of your culture convert to the new one when you end barbarism.
Made the reformed heresy have a religious head that is more like the caliph, so that players can create it as well.
You can form a new titular empire EITHER by having 4 kingdom titles or a kingdom with 50 counties both de jure and de facto.
Renamed the two mods "A New World, The Dawn of Empires part 1" and "A New World, The Dawn of Empires part 2" so it's easier to understand that you need them both.
Fixed bug with ruler designer. Now it does work again.
Fixed some missing localisation for the creation of holy seats.
Instead of killing the lords with the wrong cultures in your provinces when you are bariarian, you now just gain the titles. Thus I fixed the bug that kills you due to the purge events that enemies get.
It now takes much longer for horde cultures to purge civilized cultures from a province (about 12 years).

Version 1.06
Made the horde system selectable depending on what date you start at.
Added bookmarks and descriptions.
Added a few more cultures per group.
You get huge penalties for having too big demesne as a savage.
Made religious heads be creatable by decision.
Made religioius heads able to call upon help from rulers of the same religion when attacking infidels, savages, or being attacked themselves.
Removed a bug with galloway still being able to be created by a barbarian.
Made religions and cultures in the same group have colours that are alike.
Added an event that removes the barbarian modifier for non savage provinces.

Version 1.06Beta
Added a completely new horde system in the beginning. The beta is mainly to test that system, therefore I've released this before having had time to make it selectable if you want to use it or not. In the non-beta release it will be selectable.
Added many cultures with the same culturegroup steming from the same province.
The time necesarry to hold a duchy for it to become a de jure part of a kingdom is 150 years.
The same goes for empires holding kingdoms.
In order to create a landed empire you only need one king title. For unlanded titles you still need 3.
In order to create a landed kingdom you only need one duke title. For unlanded titles you still need 4.
Removed a double space between the characters first name and surname.
Removed a bug with some titles being duplicates, which in turn:

• removed a bug with some kingdoms that you can create being automaticly de jure part of a vanilla empires.
    • removed a bug with some vanilla titles still being creatable.
    • removed a bug with titles having the wrong flag.
Version 1.05
Fixed a bug with ruler designer causing the game to crash.
This means I hade to change the starting year to year 51.
Made it possible to blind and castrate your imprisoned vassals as any culture.
Fixed some bugs with some files not being at the right positions according to the new 1.07 patch.
Added some events that would only fire for christians.

Version 1.04
Updated the files in the mod to make it compatible with 1.07, this may have brought some bugs however. Please report any.
Solved a bug with empty popups.
County conquest casus belli now only works against heretics and heathens.
Holy war casus belli doesn't work against heretics.

Version 1.03:
Added some startingmoney for all players.
Tweaked the amount of theocracies and cities to be a bit more at the beginning.
Made an event that sets the de jure kingdom of a duchy to the kingdom that owns it de facto if the duchy doesn't have a de jure kingdom.
Set the amount of piety needed for an invation of a heathen kingdom to 2000.
Fixed some small bugs.
Changed the name of some religions and cultures.
Made it possible to enact some decisions and get some events that only christians could get in vanilla.

Version 1.02:
Added some startingmoney for all players.
Creating a title no longer requires the capital province, since it is the title you're holding that's important.
Fixed a bug with female names being very strange sometimes.
The first 15 years all provinces will have larger levys. This makes the AI much more agressive and kingdoms are formed much earlier.
Added a long list of provinces that should be playable in every version from now on, those provinces being capital provinces and such.
Made most provinces castles.

Version 1.01:
Made the culture conversion and religion conversion more agressive.
Made it possible for cultures to spread via ports.
Changed number of duchies required to create a kingdom from three to four.
Made it possible to play as any county (except theocracies and republics) without any fuss.
Made the amount of republics and theocracies at the beginning fewer.
Removed a bug with two missing flags.
Removed a bug with names having '_' in them.

Credits
This mod is created by me together with Derrick Moore who's doing most of the custom art and the entire map.

Many thanks to Measter! This mod was partly created using Measter's Abound Titular Title Generator.
Many thanks to Hohen for creating a list of counties that always should be playable!
Many thanks to AUTOMATIC for letting me use theese flags he created in my mod!
Many thanks to lascupa0788 for creating new flags and religious icons!
Many thanks to stars2heaven for help with creating the crusade events and a great AAR!
Many thanks to all you who help me understand modding, report bugs, come with ideas and support me!
If I have forgotten you please tell me, as I am very good at forgetting stuff.

Last edited:
All counties start with only one barony, but the potential of getting seven.

This is not true! Some counties are cities, and some are temples. This kind of makes this imbalanced because baronies have the clear advantage over the other 2 types as far as early conquest.

I'll make sure to upload some images later today. =)

All are baronies. Some are temples, some are cities and some castles. I made it this way so that other types of governments than feudal would pop up.

It looks good though I must say that it seems quite like dauncosony's Dawn of Kingdoms mod with a few changes. And also, can I ask why Sword of Islam is needed? Most likely for becoming religious head and/or if you convert to an Islamic branch?

And also, don't be so sure about the 145300 end date, I'm sure someone will eventually get it.

Next, how does one become religious head of a religion? And would it bring in extra piety, or give you something like crusades etc. Or is it there for purely aesthetics.

By the way, here are some screenies;

- Britain
- Iberia
- France & Germany
- Sicily & Tunis
- Byzantium
- Russia
- The Steppe
- Persia
- Arabia
- Eastern Europe
- Scandinavia
- Character Info
- Religions

That took a while.

Finally, I think you need to ramp up AI aggressiveness and also add some sort of Mercenaries like Tribal Warriors of 750 men so the Republics have a chance. But definitely, I ran the game on observe for 30 years and I noticed that barely an wars had happened. Maybe about 5. And I think the different types of places should have a big bonus. So the base castle gives alot of troops but doesn't necessarily produce enough tax to pay for the levy while making the AI super-aggressive meaning that you'd have lot's of wars, but not alot of castles which'd be super-built up by 200 AD. And cities good have lower levies (50 odd), but gives of alot of money for mercs and a decent garrison. And maybe the Theocracies have access to mini-holy orders or something of 1250 men.

Last edited:
Excellent :D I shall download this now and give it a try. It's exactly what I want. My ultimate dream is to have a mod of this type (single-counties, no de jure kingdoms or empires, just the ability to form new titular ones), on a new map (ie, not Europe). Just for fun, like.

Finally, I think you need to ramp up AI aggressiveness and also add some sort of Mercenaries like Tribal Warriors of 750 men so the Republics have a chance. But definitely, I ran the game on observe for 30 years and I noticed that barely an wars had happened. Maybe about 5.

In a start like this, that will always happen. That's why Gladdig_kala has set such a long timespan, I suspect - things take a while to get started in this mode. Try starting a vanilla game as Ireland and see how long it takes to unify the country given that everyone (bar Munster) is a one-county state. It takes forever.

In a start like this, that will always happen. That's why Gladdig_kala has set such a long timespan, I suspect - things take a while to get started in this mode. Try starting a vanilla game as Ireland and see how long it takes to unify the country given that everyone (bar Munster) is a one-county state. It takes forever.

It's that I don't mind the wait, it's just that the player can expand like mad quickly because they'll just eat up any remotely nearby city or bishopric until they can take out a castle, then it just snowballs. Bigger differences between cities and castles etc. and smaller garrisons will help. With 320 odd troops, you can win a battle against cities or bishoprics but you'll never be able to take a castle. So it takes a while for anything to happen. That's why mercs would be good because even if you aren't impatient, it's annoying waiting 300 years for the first AI country to get... 10 counties.

Also, sorry if I seem rude.

Last edited:
SplingeMcGraw
I didn't know that, I'll make sure to change it.

Wallain
So did you download the mod or not? :unsure:

ShadowGamer42
I tried the Dawn of Kingdoms mod, but wasn't satisfied, so I made this one from scratch.
Sword of Islam is for the new map it brought, and also for the invasion casus belli. Although now when I think of it I am unsure if theese where brought with the patch that came just before SoI, so if you or anyone else knows, please tell.
As for becoming a religious head I don't think I ever wrote something about the player being able to become one, since theocracies can't be played and the religious heads are modelled after the Pope. Although I could make it so that some religious heads are modelled after the caliphs and some after the Pope.
The starting date could easily be increased, but I'm not entierly convinced it's needed. But I'll add an extra zero there anyway.

MazeMouse
Oh, since I don't have the ruler designer I did not know that, I'll look in to it.

And as for the AI agressiveness and early expansion I see that as the biggest problem right now. In my own games the AIs start to expand 50 years into the game, which is kind of unsatisfying.
I have heard that making holy orders and mercenaries is kind of hard so I haven't looked into it that much. As of the mercenaries that already existed I disabled them since they seemed really inbalanced and due to the fact that it seems like the AI can't handle them that good.
I have absolutely no idea how to change how much each type of holding gives in terms of taxes and levy since I have never have looked into it, but if it is there I'll find it. The problem is that castles are a bit overpowered in the beginning and I don't know what to change in order to change that. And if I balance it more, the AI will take even longer to grow.

Last edited:
Meh, I'll still loving you. But don't tell her :eek:o

:rofl:

Edit: for those with crashes around the loading flags step, go launch your client without Ruler Designer. That solved it for me.

Last edited:
Wow. I totally take back what I said about cities earlier. Cities are the most OP thing in the world. They earn so much money, after 20 years, they produce more troops than a barony. Looking at the ledger, the first 'page' only lists republics for strongest armies!