• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

themendios

Major
47 Badges
Oct 9, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
I know the modding field is pretty full right now but my opinions are starting to differ from a few of my favorite overhaul mods and I've modded since CK1 so why not just make my own?

In general, I will probably stick to mostly vanilla mechanics as they are not my specialty, though I am quite capable of modding them I have no sense for whether an 0.1 increase in cavalry effectiveness on mountains will irrevocably break the game balance forever (probably). What I will mostly focus on is requirements for creation of titles, de jure areas, events, ambitions, and AI (as much as possible).

DOWNLOAD
View attachment fancylads.zip

Current features:
Variables:
  • Court birth penalties kick in at 40 instead of 30
  • Max age for childbearing is now 40 instead of 45
  • Succession CB last 1 year instead of 5
  • You may change ambitions yearly (instead of 3 years)
  • Council members may change activity monthly (instead of every 6 months)
  • Attacking someone crusading costs the same piety as defending from heathens (100)
  • TEMPORARILY lowered call to war break period to 12 months from 60 to balance as Muslims don't seem to be affected by it.
  • Costs 200 Prestige to attack an ally (old 50)
  • Costs 1000 Prestige to break a truce (old 100) - AI almost never does this but players know it's negligible, still is if you're a big dog
  • Costs 0 prestige to refuse an offensive war, 200 to refuse a defensive one (from 25/100)
  • Lowered prestige hit/gain for marrying above/below rank (was 20 per rank, now 5)
  • Upped piety gain to 25 (from 5) for releasing prisoners - generally a good and hard to abuse way to gain piety when you might otherwise just let them rot.
  • Demesne per 5 stewardship instead of 4
  • Gavelkind now 50% bonus to demesne as an attempt to make it feasible
  • Women and bastards do NOT inherit pressed claims, you'll have to press them yourself
  • Muslim demesne law changes are now 100 (from 50) piety, crown laws 250 (from 100) because of the ridiculously easy piety gathering as a muslim.
  • In the same vein, wars against other (same) muslim cost 5 piety per month (from 2)
  • Muslim temple holdings down to 0.1 piety per month (from 0.2). Really little reason not to hold them anyway.
  • Imprisoning, banishing, and executing cost no piety. If it's allowed its just allowed if not the tyranny is the cost.
  • Allies more likely to respond to calls for war (50 threshold from 75)
  • Lifting excommunications only costs 10 piety - if you can do it then there's no reason to penalize you that much
  • Betrothals autobreak at 17 (from 20) so that you can just wait one out if it turns out bad.
  • Lowered direct pope money to 25%, antipope to 10% - he doesn't do anything with that money and antipopes were exploitable
  • Upped combat events to every 30 days from 10 - hoping to stem crazy amounts of siege events when you're leading and people randomly dying
  • Lowered defending warscore increase if held to 2 months (from 1 year!)
  • Lowered overrun ratio to 15 (from 25) - ridiculous amount of running around
  • Made AI consider white peace at -25 instead of -50 (you've already won)
  • Made overall AI diplomacy a little more friendly - 10+ instead of 25+ to get a yes.
  • Changed wrong govt type penalty to 50%, temporary measure until I figure out a counterbalance to muslim temple holdings because the AI will still drop them like a ton of bricks (hardcoded I think)
  • Lowered assimilation years to 50 (from 100) - may go further after testing as by the time anything is actually assimilated time is almost up.
  • Lowered usurp cooldown to 1 year (from 5)
  • Baron claim/revokation costs no prestige. I will make it not cost tyranny too if I can figure out how, one of my pet peeves in this game.
  • Upped piety gain from gifting religious figures to a multiplier of 10 (from 3) - never seems to give enough for how much you have to fork out
  • Raised limit of elector titles to 2 to match duchies - if you've got a small kingdom you probably have your favorite elected with 1 and if you have a big one 2 isn't gonna change it.
  • Lowered wrong govt penalties to 33% from 75% - a possible alternative for small guys but not a good one for the most part and one the AI will never take.
  • Max generated traits of historical is 2 (from 5).
  • Raised mad about levy interval to 120 from 73
  • Barons and counts no longer get prestige penalty for unlanded sons - dukes raised to 1, kings raised to 2, and emperors raised to 5 (cuz really).
  • Raised grant to church piety significantly - 50/100/250/500/2500 from 25/50/0/0/0
  • Raised disbanding in non-owned territory return to 75% from 50% - AI uses this exclusively and it's just annoying to hike back one province, makes it more balanced and a possibly player option this way.
  • Halved merc and vassalized merc maintenance costs but doubled hire costs to compensate - already have to sit there a month
  • Raised opinion floor for vassals to give you the least amount of troops they can from -25 to 0
  • Merc reinforcement when not in the field is now double the normal (3x previous value), also raised in the field reinforcement rates.
  • Occupying capitals is worth triple (no bonus before), occupying demesne is worth half (from 0.3) and occupying vassals is worth 0.2 (from 0.3). This is to attempt to stop the 'siege the other end of the universe to win' strategy, also so if they're getting stomped they don't wait till their whole army/country is gone before surrendering.
  • Contested settlements are worth double (from 1.75)
  • Holding contested settlements is worth 25% per year or 50% per year on independence wars (eg if they don't hit them in 2 years)
  • Lowered flanking bonus to 10% from 30 - thought is to allow units that are still mostly matched but one missing one flank to not instantly fold.
  • Made sieges 10 to 0.5 from 15 to 0.6, doubled siege setup time to avoid speedbumps
  • Lowered max decadence moral bonus to 10% - 60% is insane.
  • Quartered galley maintenance to 75from 300 - this is why the merc navies were insanely expensive, 300 is the same maintenance as 100 light + 100 heavy - 75 is a lot more reasonable imo, maybe lower.
  • Lowered tech discovery chance very slightly but raised demnese/neighbor spreads significantly - may look into Meneth's mod later
  • Combat has slightly more deaths and slightly less morale loss - always sucks to have to chase around a unit that's 5k but out of morale, or being that unit
  • Raised 'vassal will lead troops himself' opinion to 75+, too many random deaths of vassals when I'd be just fine with their marshal unless they REALLY REALLY (75+) wanna come.
  • Lowered outbreak chance significantly, needs testing
  • Upped coastal, friendly and adjacent-friendly supply rates
Kingdoms:
  • Kingdom creation has had all requirements removed except owning the land. Italy can be formed by Muslims, for example.
  • Removed piety cost from Kingdom creation (still have to have 0+ piety).
  • Removed some strange dignity modifiers. France for example is perceived as 20 counties more than actual. If you own France I don't think you need this modifier.
Empires:
  • De jure area of the 2 held empires in 1066 (HRE, ERE) have had their de jure empire reduced to the core kingdom. Germany for HRE and Byzantium (Greece/part of Nikaea) for ERE
  • De jure area of the fictional empires is now none at all.
  • Empire creation has had all requirements removed, fictional empires can be created by anyone if they hold the king titles that were previously de jure.
  • Moved Syria from Arabian to Persian Empire
  • Latin Empire can be created by anyone that holds Byzantion and not the Byzantine Empire.
Plots
  • You can now plot to kill anyone if you are cruel or impaler.
  • AI-only restrictions on plotting to kill are now the same as the player's restrictions, mostly involves applying the same restrictions to the player.
  • You can no longer plot to kill anyone if you are honest, kind, or just (previously only AI was restricted if honest/just)
  • You can no longer plot to kill your spouse if you are the above OR lustful. More fish in the sea AMIRITE BRO?
Ambitions
  • Each job can be wished for only once, flagged after to prevent repeated skilling up (as fun as it was)
  • To qualify for the ambition you must either have 11 of the applicable skill or the top education for that type (EG Martial 11 or Brilliant Strategist for Marshal)
  • Removed arbitary limits to prestige/piety to do exalted/holy - can do as long as you're below the target (500/1000)
  • Added ambitions for women in the appropriate circumstances to desire a job title
Decisions
  • AI is now allowed to Observe Ramadan if they are a Hajajj, have >=10 decadence and have at least 200 wealth (to keep them from going broke).
  • Removed randomization factor for AI from Go On Hajj, simply require that they are married, have 200g and are 22.
Council
  • Chancellors now lift FOW like Spymaster so you can at least use them that way.
  • Court Imams can be reassigned (too many time you inherit a bad one on inheritance forever).
  • When getting any council position, the 'Fired from Council' opinion is removed. No, it's not replaced by another modifier. Just only 1 at a time.
  • In cognatic succession, your mother, your wife, your dynasty, and landed females may be chancellor, steward, or spymaster
  • In true cognatic succession any female may be chancellor, steward, or spymaster
Religion
  • Removed 'The Greatest' as a god name for Sunni/Shiite. I have never heard a Muslim refer to Allah by that name other than in the Takbir and if I did use it I would want to use the Arabic phonetic name not the translation but didn't want to get into localization. But it was really starting to annoy me seeing it so often.
Planned:
  • Overhaul of childhood events
  • Making traits mean a hell of a lot more than they do now
  • Add secondary muslim Holy ambition due to their crazy accumulation of piety vs other religions
  • Always: changing of minor things that annoy me.
  • Fix 'impotent' event not to fire if target is lustful (duh)
  • Add abdication of some fashion, probably trait-dependent maybe elective and/or primo only
  • Fix culture change from tutoring to be in the cultural group of the province
  • Figure out a balanced way to counteract that muslims can hold 2/3 holding types with no penalty (AI will discard even if penalty is reduced)
  • Killed by rabble at 0% revolt risk = stupid
  • Fix the auto-cancel revoke title by matching req to abort
  • Move Aegean Islands to Aegean Islands duchy and abydos to mainland(!!!)
  • Limit childhood traits to 2 (maybe 3)
  • Stressed/depressed/lunatic/possessed/syphilitic under 16 = DUMB
  • Stop repeat childhood events
  • Maybe make "you suck imma be regent now" events actually take your relative skills into account instead of just a 50/50?
    [*} Add avee's mod in with a few tweaks

Feel free to request things and if they make sense to me I will gladly add them. As of right now I haven't stolen anything from other modders, but this space reserved for when/if I do.

Though I have spent hours modding other mods I haven't put a ton of time into this yet so if there are bugs or things aren't working let me know.

Last edited:
Quick Update (updated download/list in OP):

Fixed a typo in objectives.
Made the held kingdoms a compound requirement instead of an OR like I was planning.
Moved Syria to Persian Empre (Arabian was just too damn many and Seljuks hold Syria to start anyway)
Separated out landed_titles into their own categorical files
Updated AI Ramadan decision to only happen if decadance >= 10 (so they aren't going and wasting money at 0, 3 etc)
Updated AI Hajajj decision to remove 1% random chance per month and just made it so they if they have the money, are married, and are 22 they will go.
Put requirement back on Latin Empire so Byz Emperor can't instantly create it unless he's not Greek. It is the only cultural requirement for any title. Now that I think about it I should just make it mutually exclusive with Byz - next version.

I probably need to visit the ramadan events to make sure they actually account for AI probabilities. Probably not since it was disabled for AI, but if not at least they're getting the -3 from just doing it in the first place.

I don't really have a problem with that if it's possible (I assume so) but what if culture changes?

I'm not a modder, but I figure it would probably be the same as if the ruler culture changed in vanilla - the building would disappear and you'd be out the money you spent. However, it's a lot easier to accidentally wind up with a wrong-culture ruler briefly than it is to change a province's culture.

It works with the current build?
---
Any chance of you getting Friends & Foes into your mod/making them compatible?

Put requirement back on Latin Empire so Byz Emperor can't instantly create it unless he's not Greek. It is the only cultural requirement for any title. Now that I think about it I should just make it mutually exclusive with Byz - next version.
In addition to making it mutually exclusive, I would put a religious require on it (Catholic). Just leave out cultural requirements entirely.

It works with the current build?
---
Any chance of you getting Friends & Foes into your mod/making them compatible?
Updating now.

Unlikely, I like the idea behind that mod but 100+ new traits is beyond overboard to me. I think there's plenty to work with in vanilla they just aren't fully explored (which I intend to do). I may end up having new traits but probably less than 10 if so.

In addition to making it mutually exclusive, I would put a religious require on it (Catholic). Just leave out cultural requirements entirely.

I hate having religious requirements though. But I guess Latin Empire is sorta already restricted. Maybe I'll add an Ottoman Empire for Muslims and (Insert name) Empire for Pagans.

Also hi I remember you from my CK1 thread :)

Questions for potential mod users about what they think of the following idea (crazy or not):

Removing wrong holding penalty. Bear with me - it's because of the Muslim ability to hold temples without penalty. I can't just lower the penalty because the AI will still just drop them so it'd just be the player's benefit. I think, though I haven't tested it thoroughly, that without a penalty the AI will actually hold onto the baronies too. Republics still get bonuses on city income and you still have the tradeoff of troops vs income. Cities would probably need to have their incomes adjusted down to about 75% of current to not make them a no-brainer all the time, bishoprics are pretty balanced already.

Questions for potential mod users about what they think of the following idea (crazy or not):

Removing wrong holding penalty. Bear with me - it's because of the Muslim ability to hold temples without penalty. I can't just lower the penalty because the AI will still just drop them so it'd just be the player's benefit. I think, though I haven't tested it thoroughly, that without a penalty the AI will actually hold onto the baronies too. Republics still get bonuses on city income and you still have the tradeoff of troops vs income. Cities would probably need to have their incomes adjusted down to about 75% of current to not make them a no-brainer all the time, bishoprics are pretty balanced already.

I agree with you.

Well crap I tested it out and even with a 0% penalty it still shows up as wrong government (not too surprising), but what sucks is the AI drops them all on Day 1 to autogenerated vassals even under demesne limit and even when the cities alone are making twice what the castles do. I even tried making the penalty a bonus, eg a 1% bonus to wrong holding types, they still dropped them.

Going to dig a bit but I bet that's hardcoded.

Last edited:
I was playing yesterday and for some reason the country flags are changed? Like, the red hand/white background for Ulster is now Pisa's flag.

I really love all your tweaks, exept maybe the easier kingdom creation and changes to that. Apart from that, brilliant choice of changes.

Maybe you will include opinion modifiers for family/dynasty members in a future version of you mod? Something similar to what avee did in his Family Relations mini-mod?

Yep next update will have it, already asked avee - I will probably increase it from his modifiers all around in preparation for traits having a heavier impact (meaning dynasty will probably be +20 etc).

Last edited:
Ok I lied I didn't get avee's in since I was too busy tweaking other stuff. Way too much crap to list here but OP was updated (I try to note as I go). There are a few experimental changes chiefly:

Reducing max bonus of low decadence - 60% morale and tax bonus is insanity
Lowering flanking bonus so losing/not having one column doesn't ALWAYS mean instant death
Upped combat lethality slightly while lowering morale loss to compensate - more troops should die which is fine because I raised levy reinforce rates slightly and mercs should be a lot more viable
Halving merc maintenance and doubling upfront
Drastically dropping galley maintenance
Raised merc reinforcement rates in and out of field (even offline they were slower reinforce than levies)
Those 2 combined make merc navies actually possible and also holding a standing army of mercs
Playing with siege values, doubled setup time but lowered damage on assaulters
Also playing with warscore values - trying to make it so you can't just start occupying whatever - probably still needs tweaking as none of the religious crusades for anyone have succeeded yet (big bar), hit a 2 province minor and got 98% and had to wait for the last 2%. Still very close.
Buncha other stuff I forgot

Majority of my time was spent testing and subsequently tweaking merc/combat/siege/warscore values - wanted to make it so fairly even wars last a hell of a lot longer but if you just roll in 50k you can still win - basically made vassal holdings less valuable while capitals and contested are more valuable - somehow this doesn't add up to 100% in all wars despite the modifier for 80% occupied = 100% so adding 0.1 here and there.

Feedback appreciated, if I can I will update today incorporating any feedback and a slightly modified version of avee's mod.

Also added to wishlist at bottom of OP what I plan to add.

Last edited: