• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lacherlich

Recruit
26 Badges
Mar 8, 2015
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
Just a thought - for a modern city to be successful communication is key; so having adequate network coverage for mobile phones and cables for broadband etc would be a cool addition which could be a requirement for the development of certain commercial areas etc as well as improving residential areas and increasing happiness?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
The perfectly reasonable explanation for why internet is not included in-game is that it's already provided - by private enterprise. It's like complaining about not being able to place gas stations. Companies sell gas, not local government. I'd be perfectly fine with an ISP provider being an office building.

This is a "feature" that simply isn't needed.

Speaking of "liberty", I'm actually kinda disappointed that I can't make a libertarian city. Start up the game and do nothing - the Cims build private roads and build buildings/private services wherever they want, ignoring the archaic notion of "zoning". :happy:

Do you always need logic to justify excluding some features that could be an interesting addition? Fun is never logical. :p I'd say letting mayor build telephone lines would add another layers of challenge (location, location, location; do you need offices here or do you need telephone lines here?). I don't see the problem with that. Selling gas on other hand is not a "network" so that is basically apple and orange.

For all we know, as a builder of city, you could be a private entity running it (since as mayor you have quite more power than otherwise in real life world, if not almost a dictator). :p

Alternatively, if not a network to build, you could always provide subsidy, contracts, and/or policies to enable building of those networks by private companies. It'd get automatically built onto the sidewalks as long as you provide incentives to encourage it. It just seem weird to not see telephone lines along the road at all (though not all are above-ground in real life, of course).

Gee, am I the only prick who tells his kids... "Yes you can have a cell phone, as soon as you get a job and can pay for it yourself!"
FYI... Cities have been "Modern" since before the advent of the cell phone. ;) I kinda have to agree with the "just another water pipe" crowd but keep ideas flowing to be sure.

I think the idea about telephony is cool, but that's not all, why not have street poles?
Be optional, choose from common lighting posts with electrical wires, telephone and power transformers.
I think it's cool for the suburban
26355.jpg
transformador.jpg

Attachments

• energiaTriMono.jpg
    energiaTriMono.jpg
    308,9 KB · Views: 5
Just a thought - for a modern city to be successful communication is key; so having adequate network coverage for mobile phones and cables for broadband etc would be a cool addition which could be a requirement for the development of certain commercial areas etc as well as improving residential areas and increasing happiness?

I agree, but this is not the city (in our liberal countries !) who built the network coverage but network companies. So I think we could expect an policy to make more attractive the city, but we do not play a role in this.