• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lacherlich

Recruit
26 Badges
Mar 8, 2015
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
Just a thought - for a modern city to be successful communication is key; so having adequate network coverage for mobile phones and cables for broadband etc would be a cool addition which could be a requirement for the development of certain commercial areas etc as well as improving residential areas and increasing happiness?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Great idea! They should've done something like that instead of the whole death thing IMO. I feel like the death thing was added because they wanted a new game play element. Something like adding varying levels of cell service would've been a cool and a modern evolution to the genre. Upgrading towers from 3G to 4G, etc, trying keeping them away from residential zones and so on.

I do like this idea as well.

You could have the cell phone system look something like this:
- Generate unhappiness in residential areas with a lack of cell coverage (so you want more police)
- Neutral with 3G coverage.
- Bonus happiness and increased land value with 4G coverage (upgraded towers, expensive maintenance)

In real life however, Cell phones are in commercial hands, and they place receivers on buildings, not seperate buildings.
Could make a special building called a broadcast tower/station that increases attractiveness of driving to work (radio in the car)

Broadband or Fiber optics could be a requirement for high density residential/commercial/offices at max level.

I do like this idea as well.

You could have the cell phone system look something like this:
- Generate unhappiness in residential areas with a lack of cell coverage (so you want more police)
- Neutral with 3G coverage.
- Bonus happiness and increased land value with 4G coverage (upgraded towers, expensive maintenance)

In real life however, Cell phones are in commercial hands, and they place receivers on buildings, not seperate buildings.
Could make a special building called a broadcast tower/station that increases attractiveness of driving to work (radio in the car)

Broadband or Fiber optics could be a requirement for high density residential/commercial/offices at max level.

They are a commercial endeavor but they have to go through the town/city for approval. My town just approved a new cell tower. Council had a discussion about keeping it away from residential zones due to the flashing light beacon on top that some residents were worried about. Obviously they still need to be close enough to provide coverage though. The whole situation would be a perfect little in game scenario.

Bu,bu,but...it great. why you mean?jk, it needs polishing, but fantastic idea

Cool idea!

This is a service typically provided by the free market, not local government, unlike water/power (though there are some exceptions). As such, it has no place in a city building game taking place from a city government perspective.

This is a service typically provided by the free market, not local government, unlike water/power (though there are some exceptions). As such, it has no place in a city building game taking place from a city government perspective.

Except this is a game, not a real life simulation. One can take a bit of liberty with that. :p

Except this is a game, not a real life simulation. One can take a bit of liberty with that. :p

The perfectly reasonable explanation for why internet is not included in-game is that it's already provided - by private enterprise. It's like complaining about not being able to place gas stations. Companies sell gas, not local government. I'd be perfectly fine with an ISP provider being an office building.

This is a "feature" that simply isn't needed.

Speaking of "liberty", I'm actually kinda disappointed that I can't make a libertarian city. Start up the game and do nothing - the Cims build private roads and build buildings/private services wherever they want, ignoring the archaic notion of "zoning". :happy: