• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mad King James

Buzzkill Extraordinaire
66 Badges
Jan 18, 2002
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
The old thread has gotten huge, and it's kinda hard for me to keep track of things, so I'm starting a new thread. I don't really want to expand on this much, I want to focus on error-whacking and removal of superflous provinces.

Click for big version. Warning: VERY big version

Last edited:
You're missing the UK! :D

No, well really, I'm worried about the clickablity of provinces, the Rhine and lowlands provinces are small, and with a CC, town, army, port etc. it could get a bit cramped.

Hmmm, I think you will have to redo Poland >< Sorry, couldn't resist ;p No, honestly, I really appreciate the effort you have put into this, and I can't wait till its actually playable :D

Can I ask the big question......WHEN is this, I emphasise, LOVELY! map coming out?

MKJ said:
I don't really want to expand on this much, I want to focus on error-whacking and removal of superflous provinces.
sweeeet *whips out his province choppin' axe*
but first, about the rivers. MKJ, which rivers are you planning to drop, if any. I'm wondering about Seine and Rouen, specifically.

and second, MKJ, are you plannign to draw ENG, if so what kind of changes, if any, would you like to see?

Anyways, on with the chlorophyl...

Lille:

This pic shows Spanish possessions: yellow; French possessions: blue; and finally rebel protestant provinces supported by the English: orange. All at the time of the Spanish Armada, 1588
map-1648border-dutchrep.gif

This pic shows French expansionism under the reign of Louis XIV, who captured much of Spanish Flanders - in 1670, he reached the southern parts of Holland. The peace treaty in 1713 left Flanders divided by an artificial border.
map-1714border-louisxiv.gif

Dividing Lille between Artois and Flandern works, IMO, for Louis XIVs expansion. So Louis doesn't get a core on Flandern, so what? He gets a core on Artois, and with Artois we simply say that its the limit of the 1713 settlement. It also happens to work with Spain aswell, because Spain held Artois and Flandern, then lost Artois to the french. Note that Lille gets split between the two, thus on the map, France can still conquer up to the point that it did. Also, I maintain there is no 'buffer argument'. IT simply doesn't stand. What dicates AI behavior besides the AI file itself (war value, hitlist), are cores and relations. If France is beating up on the NEtherlands too much, or even Spain, then inserting provinces to abate that is not the sole criterion for inclusion, IMO.

Liege: why is the bishopric of liege needed again? IRL wasn't this basically a Burgundian pawn? Is there a significant relevance to EU2 after Burgundy dissapears that was discussed that I may have missed?

Nivernais: why was this needed again? Was it because it was split from the duchy of burgundy? (I can't recall exactly) - if so, then can't this province be lumped into Bourgogne and be represented as a decrease in tax value to Bourgogne itself when the event ocurred?

Awesome job! One observation - Hermannstadt was a city of German settlers. If you want the German name for the region use Siebenburgen. (Seven Cities) That's what they called the area including the towns of Hermannstadt, Kronstadt, Mediasch, etc.

Again, awesome.

Actually, Siebenburgen is somewhat relevant to southern Transylvania in itself, so maybe that name after all.
It's either that or some variation on "Land of the Saxons"

Burzenland?

ribbon22 said:
MKJ said:
I don't really want to expand on this much, I want to focus on error-whacking and removal of superflous provinces.
sweeeet *whips out his province choppin' axe*
Save some for me. :p

Alright this time I'll concern myself with Iberia.

Portugal:
Tejo province is good addition, but Algarvae doesn't really add anything strategically, nor is it representative for the purposes of changing borders or anything else used to represent additional provinces.

That is unless your making more of them so they can't see troops for MP at the start, which isn't the case. Only Tejo meets this.

Navarra:
More than 3 provinces for Navarra is too much.

Granada:
Granada, like Navara, perhaps moreso, needs 3 provinces because its a target usually before Navarra.

Aragon:
I'm not sure Aragon really needs any provinces still. The only nation likely to attack them is Castile and well they should inherit them anyway.

Castile:
Really just the only new province i see needed would be Cordoba. The reworking should cover the rest of the changes.

Overall:
Iberia should really look at not having many new provinces. For Castile and Aragon (and later Spain) I personally say they should not have net increase in mainland provinces, in fact a net decrease imo is best.

I understand there's already been discussion about province naming (about the languages in which they're named).

I found 2 provinces pretty near to each other named "Upper Silesia" and "Oberosterreich".

It's quite clear the latter is german not english name.
English would be "Upper Austria" or something like that.

Does Germany get some kind of privilegy in this?

The prospect of the ottomans trying to conquer all those 2-3 province minors is scary... Unless we give the AI a lot of help or somehow mod the BB threshold I doubt we'll ever see a historical Ottoman Empire.

binTravkin said:
I understand there's already been discussion about province naming (about the languages in which they're named).

I found 2 provinces pretty near to each other named "Upper Silesia" and "Oberosterreich".

It's quite clear the latter is german not english name.
English would be "Upper Austria" or something like that.

Good point really.

Hallsten said:
One little nag:
I don't like warp-zone Courland. Disconnect Courland from Polotsk, you could pull down the southern border of Dünaburg and connect it with Vilna.
Second this request, I had it posted in the old thread. Military movement shouldn't be screwed.

binTravkin said:
The two Silesian provinces have to be named in English in order to avoid very nasty postings by certain Polish posters.
Contrary to apparently popular beliefs, there hasn't been an official AGCEEP decision on what language to use for province names yet. Btw, just a few examples of non-German provinces not having their English names on MKJ's map (and these aren't all):
- Guyenne is Guienne in English
- Gascogne --> Gascony
- Normandie --> Normandy
- Bourgogne --> Burgundy
- Savoie --> Savoy
- Hainaut --> Hainault
- Cattaro --> Kotor
- Praha --> Prague
- Oltenia --> Lesser Walachia
- Muntenia --> Greater Walachia

Are you going to add some more rivers, I'd personally like to see the elbe, siene, Po, Oder, Maas, Rôhne, garonne, loire, weser, Dneister, Dvina, Sava and Morava rivers in Europe. (perhaps also dauro and Ems)

Also does malorca and menorca have to be two seperate provinces?

Beautifull map btw.