• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(194864)

Recruit
3 Badges
Feb 11, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
First Mithridatic War

This ARR will focus on the fate of Mithridates VI Eupator Dionysius, king of Pontus, and his bloody confrontation with Rome.

Patch: Vae Victus 2.3.2
Mod: No mods.
Difficulty: Normal. Start time – 668 AVC (85 BC)
Goal: Build Pontic Empire and survive in combat with mighty Roman Republic, led by Lucius Cornelius Sulla... And, of course, to carry out a massacre of Roman population in Asia Minor.

I apologise in advance, my English is rather bad. But I’ll try to apprehend Pontus geopolitical position and social situation of those days. And to repeat history lectures in some way during description of my game. Together with you I hope.

Conflict prehistory
Kingdom of Pontus was an ancient state on a southern coast of Black Sea. It was situated in historical region of the same name (Greek Πόντος means "sea"). This region is known for its two major geographic features: fertile coast plain and high mountains range separating the coast from the rest Anatolian plateau. Pontus was always very wild region inhabited by Chalybes (credited with the invention of ferrous metallurgy), different Kartvelian cattle-breeding tribes (including Colchis tribes) and some Greek colonists. Intensive hellenization started around IV century BC. Local pantheon was a combination of indigenous pagan beliefs, Zoroastrism and Greek religion (with impressive syncretic mix of both: Zeus acted as Ahura-Mazda).

By the way, Pontus is famous for its wild honey. To be honest it is one of greatest meals I have ever tasted. Mmm… real jam!

During Alexander’s invasion of Achaemenid Empire Pontic polises stayed neutral. Consequently they gained independence. Alexander Argead himself returned freedom and democratic government to some city-states of this region. When the wars of the Diadochi started, Pontus was obtained by Eumenes. But later he was killed by Antigonus (my favourite btw) and Pontic polises once again acquired independence. Kingdom of Pontus was founded in 297/96 by Hellenized descendant of noble Persian dynasties. His name was Mithridates I Ctistes. Pontus grew and finally transformed from satrapy to kingdom. King Pharnaces subjugated famous city Sinop and made it its capital. Pontus had always been a devoted Rome ally until Mithridates VI.

During the reign of my favourite Mithridates VI Eupator Pontus reached peak of its might. I don’t want to write his biography here. There are a lot of other interesting sources about his life.

Let’s start from the beginning of First Mithridatic War (88 – 84 BC). My start date is 85 BC, so I shouldn’t touch 85-84 BC for a while.
Two main factors had defined the political power of Pontic Kingdom before wars with Rome: pressure of Scythians and Sarmatians and panhellenistic tendencies of Greek city-states. After a long involvement into Cappadocian inner policies Mithridates faced inevitable Roman meddling. The first phase of conflict was successful for Pontic king. He smashed Roman allies, including Bithynia, and subjugated all Asia Minir in 88 BC, making Pergamon his new capital. He showed leniency towards his Greek enemies and gained their confidence. On the other hand he massacred a lot of Romans, who lived in Asia Minor. Mithridates won a reputation of ideal Hellenistic king, protector of all Greek people.

In 87 BC Mithridates landed in Greece and quickly conquered nearly all Hellas. But in 86 BC he lost two decisive battles to Lucius Cornelius Sulla (Battle of Chaeronea and Battle of Orchomenus) owing to poor training of Pontic troops. Phalanx wavered because of hail of Roman javelins. Large amount of light troops and cavalry tried to surround legions, but Sulla prevented it.

This is our starting position. It seems that by the time of game start Valerius Flaccus had already landed in Asia, conquering back all Roman provinces. Greek cities of Asia really rebelled against Mithridatus rule. It seems the time for battle of river Rhyndacus has come.

And this is geopolitical situation of those times. First Civil War between Marius and Sulla is waging on.

Anyone interested? Should I continue?

There are never too many Rome AARs. I'll be following.

Just must crush both Sulla and Marius and unite the Greek people against Itallic opression!