• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well it probably wouldn't hurt Lyssa to eat a bit less, but her accomplishments speak for themselves.

Two touching scenes in this chapter, with our queen showing true, heartfelt appreciation for friends present and absent.

And yet, in between... All I will say is In vino veritas. It might well be true that Anumeha's tongue was simply unbridled by too much strong drink, but the Queen's sloth and gluttony have been her two lifelong weaknesses. Even with all that she's accomplished, a certain set might not be able to see the difference between a healthy respect for the strengths of others, and a dependence on those others to make up for their shortcomings -- especially when their thoughts are already clouded by ambition and resentment.
It's true she doesn't fit the mold (no pun intended) of a typical Amazon queen. It remains to be seen if she takes Anumeha's words to heart or lets pride and booze blind her to these issues.

The picture of the food made my mouth water. :)
Really putting the reader in the characters' shoes then! :D

Well it probably wouldn't hurt Lyssa to eat a bit less, but her accomplishments speak for themselves.
They do indeed; it's quite an impressive list!
-Liberated the Triad Islands
-Crossed the Great Sea
-Ate a whole Stegadon roast in one sitting (probably)

Oh Oh, adding on to the vices ...
Gotta catch 'em all!

Chapter 25
Chapter 25: A Worthy Foe?

3p7SW7h.jpg

Held in place by her royal headdress, Queen Lyssa's long hair is kept clear of her face, despite the brisk sea breeze. Kept clear so she can stare into the distance, watching the reptilian stone statues lining the craggy shoreline as her ship sails by. Overgrown and with their stylized carvings eroded by the elements, the sentinels are nonetheless unmistakeable. And, by now, familiar.

Yes, the queen's headdress keeps her hair in place; one does not march into battle with one's hair flapping about. And this will be no quick skirmish. She will show everyone a proper flower war; she can practically hear the complaints that Pircarro had been too weak to be a worthy target. Spymaster Valli's words are still clear in Lyssa's mind...

* * *​

"As much as I personally find them ridiculous, I cannot in good conscience refrain from bringing these assertions to the queen's attention," Valli declares with as much outrage as she can muster. "That doesn't mean that I agree that the queen is simply lazing in her palace while she makes others do her dirty work."

A table with an informative display stands between the spymaster and steward Azu. The latter is none to pleased that the queen allows Valli to interrupt a discussion on administrative matters by spouting hearsay.

"It is a queen's duty to organize and delegate, for the good of Amazonia," Azu counters, emphasizing those responsibilities to make them sound sufficiently impressive and onerous.

"Of course," Valli agrees with little conviction. "I can't help that people are talking about things like that... and the queen's, ahem, girth ..."

Standing at the head of the table, Lyssa gives Azu a pointed look, challenging the steward to deny this. Even shrewd Azu can't manage to do that:

"Surely it just goes to show how much the realm is prospering."

Lyssa can't help but chuckle, amused but approvingly, at Azu's assertion.

"Then I don't think the realm's chairs can take much more 'prosperity'," Valli mutters to herself, sniggering at her own surreptitious barb.

Oblivious to the meaningful look the spymaster gives her posterior, Lyssa shakes her head and leans against the table. Azu's flattery may have gone some way to mollify the monarch, but her brow remains furrowed with concern.

* * *​

Leaning against the ship's railing, Lyssa gives the Lizardman statues a concerned look. Crumbling markers of a border long since sundered by an ancient cataclysm, they now make helpful navigation aids. And they lead the way to a place that could alleviate those concerns. Or perhaps they are the worries of her people.

Unlike the mud huts of Pircarro, there is a target that beyond a doubt would make a worthy target of a flower war. One grand enough to do Lyssa, Queen of Amazonia, justice: A Lizardman temple city.

The closest such city would have been Xahutec, but she dismissed it as too sparsely populated. The disastrous raid into that domain a decade ago, and her own "prudent" display in the face of the enemy at that time did not factor into her decision at all, of course.

More easily accessible and by now well-known to Amazon navigators is Tlax. Lyssa may have raided the city's domain twice before, but this time is different. This won't be a quick sortie for trinkets. This is an invasion.

Obviously Lyssa is not one to let rumours get to her, not at all. But once she returns with the population of a temple city as captives, she would dare anyone to say that she is fat and lazy!

Realizing she is billowing over the railing, Lyssa quickly pushes back from the ship's side, colour rising in her cheeks. Assuring herself that no one else noticed, she nearly jumps when an arm lands on her shoulders.

"Just like the old days!" Calypso declares and with a firm grip jostles the queen enthusiastically.

Lyssa breathes out and meets her friend's gaze with a smile: "It feels good to once more go to war with you at my side."

"A lot has changed since then, huh..." Calypso observes, releasing the queen with a friendly slap on her back. Lyssa puts a hand on her hip and retorts with a look that dares the Matriarch to continue her train of thought in an ill-advised direction. The Jaguar of the Sea just carries on, unfazed: "I knew I made the right choice coming to you twenty years ago, but I must say back then I only expected us to drive back the Easterners. Now we're going to enslave a temple city?"

"You need to think bigger," Lyssa admonishes her with a smirk.

Calypso quirks an eyebrow at the queen, but just as quickly a pensive look appears on her face.

"Don't worry, I've been here twice already." Lyssa tuts at her companion's apparent lack of faith.

"To raid," Calypso reminds her. "This time you want to subjugate the city itself."

Lyssa stretches proudly, as if trying to match the taller Amazon in height. Here she is, properly dressed for war once more – after a significant... interlude. Ornate carvings decorate the armour hugging her hips. Ancient Amazonian plate covers her shoulders and chest, if only partially – even laborious adjustments can only do so much for the irreplaceable outfit. What the armour fails to cover is clad in crimson silk, the vibrant fabric of the robe contrasting impressively with the brass-like sheen of the Lost Age metal.

Satisfied that she has struck a sufficiently impressive figure, a smug smirk tugs at Lyssa's lips: "Last time I was here I didn't have you leading my right flank," she says confidently.​

One other thing the queen did not have the last time she raided Tlax was nearly three thousand well-trained warriors at her disposal. To assemble this impressive force, Lyssa has drawn upon every last reserve of her domain – in order to avoid having to call upon the matriarchs for aid.

Steward Azu did warn that the queen would leave the capital vulnerable, even with Kriemhild staying behind to organize the fresh recruits anointed during the spring rituals. Lyssa ignored her warnings, but as she was about to leave Ganaina, the city had received some surprising visitors.

0J2KO1u.jpg

Leading his personal band of experienced veterans, the former guerilla leader and still most respected Miyan leader of recently conquered Xoitia had arrived on the island. These were the most bitter and tenacious of the Amazons' enemies during the Xoitia campaign and resentment had lingered in their hearts ever since.

Despite this, rather than take advantage of the capital's weakness, the Miyan leader announced they had come to protect it. While they still mourn their freedom, the halflings have grudgingly accepted that Lyssa's rather hands-off rule has been better for them than the tyrannical reign of the late Ikengrim. Impressed by the recognition awarded to a fellow Miyan, the fallen Quihuatzin, the former freedom fighters came to offer their service to a queen who seems to respect their people. They had insisted on doing this on their own terms, taking up positions outside Ganaina and refusing to be put under someone else's command. No doubt the halflings are still wary of their new queen's sincerity.

Despite these misgivings, Lyssa had ordered that the Miyan be left alone. As she is now headed for Tlax, time will tell if this decision had indeed bolstered Ganaina's defences or has left it vulnerable to a Miyan sneak attack.

udOgKr8.jpg

These guys seem to enjoy hanging around here

RH7fHRX.jpg

Sailing directions to Tlax

Vindicating the queen's confidence, the Amazon army lands on Tlax's shores nearly unopposed. A fortunate turn of events, but not one merely down to luck. Sending out huntresses to scout ahead, the Amazons know the Tlaxian army is too far away to easily oppose them. Furthermore, Queen Lyssa elects to make landfall in the very westernmost part of the land claimed by Tlax. Sparsely inhabited and infrequently patrolled, the stubby peninsula Pillhuitzloli makes for easy entry into the domain.

This puts the Amazons the furthest away from their goal, the mighty city itself, but also places a mountain between them and the Lizardman forces. While perhaps more prudent than glorious, Lyssa's decision seems to pay off as her army is allowed to lay siege to north-western Tlax unscathed.

Once it gets moving, rather than engage the Amazons through adverse terrain, the Lizardman army marches south-west to circumvent the mountains and attack through the open plains south of Pillhuitzloli. Amazon priestesses work tirelessly to weave Rigg's blessings in order to turn the jungles against the reptiles. This far from their holy city, these efforts are sufficient to slow down the Lizardman approach considerably.

i650Zmw.jpg

The route taken by the army of Tlax

Nearly two months after the Amazons first made landfall, the Tlaxian army is finally within reach of the wide mountain pass – in their eyes the gateway to reach the ungodly intruders. Their detour has cost time, but given them an opportunity to face this impudent foe on equal terms. Stuck between the mountains and the sea, the Amazons have no choice but to abandon their "flower harvest" or fight. The Tlaxians are poised to to try and drive the interlopers out, but as it turns out fate has other things in store.

79lZvbt.jpg

Emerging from the deep, dark jungles to the south, an unstoppable force of nature crashes through Tlax. With the arrival of the eight month of 2030, hundreds upon hundreds of dinosaurs and other wild reptiles ravage the domain, with no heed for their sentient lizard cousins. Perhaps driven out of their deep jungle homes by natural disasters, for their part the Amazons see the dinosaur deluge as a blessing from Rigg.

While the Lizardmen have to deal with gigantic, ornery beasts rampaging through their lands, the Amazons take the opportunity to lay siege to the Golden Spire of Chotec. A gilded temple to the sun god, the dilapidated monument is now turned into a fortress by his followers. Certainly a worthy prize – and a dangerous thorn in Lyssa's side should she leave it be.

52iCVyE.jpg

Replies Lyssa to Calypso's concerns about the invasion: "Life, uh, finds a way."

Driven outside of their domain by the dinosaur rampage, the Tlaxian army leaves the Amazons able to take their time grinding down the defences of the Spire. They are allowed to keep the siege going for a few weeks before the followers of Chotec lose patience. Battle has found the Amazons at last.

igKIFv1.jpg

The followers of Chotec are incredibly aggressive and fond of arms and armour that shine like the visage of their god

Even from her vantage point atop her palanquin, Queen Lyssa struggles to get a picture of the battlefield. After weeks of complaining about dull siege warfare, the Amazons finally have the battle they seek now that the desperate garrison sallies forth. Despite their disadvantage, the fanatical defenders strike with surprising ferocity and in the rugged jungle terrain it soon becomes impossible to keep track of the battle lines.

Trusting that Inanna and Calypso are doing their part, Lyssa concentrates on the fighting close at hand. Unable to carry out overall command of the battle anyway, she grabs her spear and adjusts her armour belt with a grunt. The enemy is coming close and her bodyguard is already moving to engage.

Before the queen can decide whether or not to get stuck in as well, a great commotion turns her attention to her right-hand side. Trees creak and snap. The ground trembles. Amazons yell and scream. Then suddenly the jungle erupts before Lyssa's eyes, only to disgorge a furious titan festooned with spikes and scales.

The stegadon barrels heedlessly through the Amazon line, a rain of missiles only serving to confuse and enrage it further. Mere moments after its manifestation the giant reptile smashes into the royal seat.

PZ1cgfi.jpg

Raging dinosaurs don't discriminate between Lizardmen and Amazons

Given no chance to react, Lyssa tumbles to the ground. Her whole world spinning, conscious thought is banished to a confused haze. Slowly she realizes she is in fact not dead, but lying on her back on the jungle floor. Instinctively furious at this disgracious treatment, the queen groans and heaves herself up and onto her knees.

Steadying herself with one hand, finding that she is still clutching her spear with the other, Lyssa looks around at the scattered wreckage of the palanquin. Thrown a considerable distance by the impact, she has trouble getting her bearings. The green behemoth wreaking havoc before her eyes certainly does not help her focus her mind.

Turning around to meet the sudden assailant, the Amazon line forms a spear-studded – if disordered – fence for the beast. Acting on animal instinct, it bellows and turns around looking for the path of least resistance. Resting on her knees, Lyssa suddenly finds herself in the middle of that path.

Scanning the chaos, the queen tries to take stock of her scattered bodyguard. If she commands it, they could perhaps fall back to drive the beast away – surrounding their queen with a wall of shields like at the ill-fated battle against Xahutec eight years ago. Even if it would spell doom for the line engaging the Chotec lizardmen. Eyeing the distance between herself and the other Amazons another thought, quite unbidden, comes creeping into Lyssa's mind. Already feeling out of breath, she wonders... can she even run fast enough to reach them?

However, in the precious seconds spent deliberating the massive dinosaur has picked up speed. Staring down the crown on horns, Lyssa clenches her jaw and gets to her feet. "I will not run away," she spits, her pride forbidding her to add the obvious "again". Nor does she utter the word "can't".

Lyssa adopts a wide-legged stance and hefts her weapon, placing herself firmly in the beast's path. Merely a few meters away at this point, all that stands between the Queen of the Amazons and several tons of raging dinosaur is a sharp stick.​

4T5mpEK.jpg

Well she will either be victorious, or die a hero.

By sheer coincidence, I happened to see the new Jurassic World movie over the weekend, which has certainly put me in the right frame of mind for a desperate duel with a rampaging dinosaur :)

With not only her life but also her pride on the line, Lyssa must return home "with her shield or on it." Let's certainly hope it's the first one...

Well she will either be victorious, or die a hero.
It's a win-win, really!

Well the next ruler should be interesting ... or the Queen will regain her honour.
It's always a consolation in CK2, when your ruler puts their life on the line, to have an "interesting" heir (at least from an AAR-writing perspective... :p )

By sheer coincidence, I happened to see the new Jurassic World movie over the weekend, which has certainly put me in the right frame of mind for a desperate duel with a rampaging dinosaur :)

With not only her life but also her pride on the line, Lyssa must return home "with her shield or on it." Let's certainly hope it's the first one...
Hopefully the deadly dino duel will satisfy in the next update!
Fingers crossed for the first option, cause I dunno if they make shields big enough for the latter?

Chapter 26
Chapter 26: The Wind of Righteousness
x4BGebw.jpg

"What am I doing..." Some reason bubbles to the surface of Queen Lyssa's tumultuous thoughts. She pays her own words little heed. Not before a green tide of muscle and scales hits her like a stone wall.

At the last moment, instinct kicks in and she tries to get away. Throwing herself to the side, the stegadon's sharp beak shoots past her, a split second before the titan's head swipes the Amazon.

Lyssa gasps, her vision blurring even as her body cushions most of the blow. As the only solid thing in her tumbling world, she holds onto her spear for dear life. Around her is all spinning trees and primordial roars.

It feels like an eternity before she realizes she has in fact not been thrown clean across the small clearing. Casting her eyes about she finds herself swinging violently, her legs dragging over the jungle floor. The stegadon has stopped its charge, shaking its head angrily and stomping its feet. Sticking out of the side of its mouth is Lyssa's spear, with its owner clinging onto it for dear life.

Lyssa scrambles for purchase on the uneven ground, letting out a pained grunt each time she is bumped into a rock or root. Swung up into the air, she stretches her legs and grits her teeth for the subsequent impact. Barely softening her own landing, she leans into the spear, refusing to be pushed away.

Weakened from supporting her weight, even for just a few violent moments, the spear cracks and breaks against the sheer mass and power of the stegadon's onslaught.

Finally rid of this annoying burden and with no spear between them, the dinosaur lunges forward. Without conscious thought, Lyssa takes the splintered stump in her hands and jabs it towards the beast's eye before it can turn its massive head towards her.

Spooked by the near miss, the stegadon rears backward. Though clearing the ground by only a couple feet, its front legs come crashing down accompanied by a small earthquake. Appearing hardly affected at all, Lyssa stoutly keeps her balance. Angrily she brushes her fluttering hair out of her face. In the commotion she has lost her royal headdress.

The stegadon extends no courtesy and with great force jabs its snout into Lyssa's unprotected middle. The queen staggers backwards, but somehow manages to keep her balance. Clutching her belly with one hand, she is relieved to find the silk fabric covering it still intact. The stegadon's nose horn might leave bruises, but no gushing wound.

Panting heavily, Lyssa takes a step closer to the massive beast to prevent it from bringing its larger horns to bear. It is more of a stumble than a stride. Suddenly pain flares up from her abdomen and Lyssa nearly doubles over. It turns out to give her a temporary stay of execution.

Swinging its whole body, the stegadon slams its head into the annoyingly persistent human from the side. With tons of muscle behind it, Lyssa is fortunate that the dinosaur's nose horn passes just centimetres over her bent back, narrowly avoiding being gored in the head.

This time even the Queen of the Amazons isn't sturdy enough to stay on her feet. She is flung away and falls to the ground like a sack of potatoes. On pure instinct, she rolls from her side and onto her back, forcing one eye open just in time to see her opponent's frilled head loom over her.

Roaring in triumph, the stegadon leans down with its gaping maw, wide open to catch its prey in a beak that can break an Amazon in half. Feebly, Lyssa tries to hold up her arms to protect herself, but the pain and exhaustion is too strong. The sharp beak moves inexorably towards her waist, each moment an eternity before Lyssa's eyes... and then stops.

Snorting in frustration, the stegadon jerks its head this way and that. It stomps its feet angrily, but no matter how it changes its angle of attack it cannot get its beak over the queen's stout midsection.

Barely able to move, Lyssa is pushed and yanked around at the stegadon's mercy, groaning even louder as her head smacks against an exposed rock. Stars fill her vision and she paws blindly around her hips as if the gesture might somehow chase away her attacker.

When her vision finally clears, Lyssa finds herself staring into an impossibly wide mouth. Pulling her hands to her chest in anticipation, she watches helplessly as the sharp beak envelops her head. She closes her eyes and braces for the inevitable.

There is no pain. Instead an impossibly bright light sears through her eyelids.

Around her, Lyssa's ears ring with an eerie roar. Her eyes fly open, black spots obscuring her vision – but not enough to hide the huge shape rolling over and hitting the ground beside her with an earth-shaking thud.

Blinking furiously, Lyssa stares at the plume of smoke billowing from the lifeless stegadon's mouth. Her eyes move from the burnt crater in its head to the glowing sun gauntlet in her hands.

"Tanya, you're damn lucky this thing works..." the queen gasps, before her arms fall limply to her sides. Groaning in pain, she shuts her eyes tight and trusts that the next one to find her is her bodyguard and not another angry dinosaur.​

cfhJCvV.jpg

* * *​

Princess Inanna rushes up the winding stairs strewed about the arcane Lizardman ruin. Running as fast as she can, she flies heedlessly past the warriors busy poking through the once-great complex. She dashes into a doorway half-way up the spire and only here does she slow down as she is stopped by a priestess of Serena, the snake goddess.

"Your mother is going to be okay, child," the elderly Amazon assures her. "She came out of her ordeal in surprisingly good condition... all things considered."

Inanna just stares at the woman for a moment, trying to deduce why she is being told these things. She ends up shaking her head, and promptly bursts into the room beyond. As they fall upon her mother, lying in an improvised bed, the mighty warrior's eyes sparkle with almost child-like glee and wonderment.

Lyssa gives her daughter one look, before turning to her attendants: "Who told her?" she demands, exasperated, before wincing in pain. "Unh... now she'll run off to try and punch a dinosaur to death..."

The excited princess pays her words no heed: "Is it true? Did you really kill a stegadon by yourself?"

"Of course," Lyssa groans, trying to find a more comfortable position for her many bruises.

"You're so lucky!" Inanna gapes with unrestrained jealousy.

"Ngh... I don't know about that..." the queen flops back on her bed and gives up fighting against the aches. She stares at the ceiling and sighs: "We were supposed to march on Tlax by now."

"Me and Calypso can lead the army while you recover," Inanna suggests, then shrugs: "I bet you're just a bit sore 'cause you're not used to exerting yourself like that."

"No!" Lyssa immediately regrets trying to sit up again. "Ugh... if anyone's going to sack Tlax, it's going to be me!" Trying to relax, she eventually offers a huffy defence to her daughter's assertion: "I did get hit by a ten-ton dinosaur, you know. I just... need to rest for a bit. Now, where's that wine I asked for?"

Servants are sent scurrying as Inanna sighs: "And here I thought you had finally gotten cool, mom..."

Before she can complain further about the slowness of the campaign, Innana finds herself nearly run down from behind. Only a last-minute evasive maneuver saves the arriving huntress from collision – and being decked by the royal princess.

"No, I don't have any wine..." the nonplussed scout explains to her queen after rushing to her side. "The Tlaxian army is marching on our position."

Remaining calm in her bed, Lyssa spreads her arms and chuckles to her daughter: "Well I guess me being 'a bit sore' just gave you another battle to fight. Don't say your old mother never did anything for you."​

* * *​

At first delayed by their queen needing time to recover, the Amazon army is further slowed by the loss of Lyssa's ride. They have barely started on their way to Tlax when the Lizardman army catches up with them.

Although greatly reduced by rampaging dinosaurs, the Tlaxian army knows the terrain well and uses it to their advantage. Staying out of range of the Amazon spears, scurrying skinks whittle down the Amazon force with arrows and darts. Still, superior numbers inexorably push them closer to defeat.

z3auBuA.jpg

In the centre, the Lizardmen make the most headway, concentrating their forces to overwhelm the Amazons here to the detriment of their flanks. As they push forward, one of the Lizardman commanders spot an opportunity to end the battle before the Amazons overwhelm them: Too slow to avoid the enemy, the Amazon queen is caught out by High Sentinel Otlsoatz and his Telpotl vanguard.

Lyssa turns out to have recovered surprisingly quickly from her previous ordeal and emboldened by her success she does not hesitate to take up the challenge. While much faster and more nimble, the skink commander finds himself thwarted by his opponent's size and reach. Stable as the foundations of Ganaina itself, Lyssa refuses to give any ground.

Frustrated, Otlsoatz jumps around his opponent and circumvents her shield. Looking hopelessly unwieldy compared to the slippery reptile, Lyssa is unable to reposition to bring her spear to bear in time. The Lizardman stabs at her with an obsidian dagger, only to get it tangled in her voluminous silk robes, slicing through one layer only to get caught on another one.

It is but a moment of vulnerability, but Lyssa takes full advantage. Her opponent's blade held sideways to cut itself to freedom rather than pointing into her flesh now, the queen slams it aside with her body. There is enough force and heft behind the blow to send the poor skink sprawling.

With a sweep of her spear, Lyssa forces Otlsoatz to scurry backwards. Following with resolute steps, she stabs at his face. A gash opens on the side of Otlsoatz's head as he tries to dodge, his frill punctured by the spear tip.

As soon as Lyssa pulls back for another blow, her opponent rolls behind a gnarled root. Hitting the ground running, he immediately scrambles onto his feet and runs off. The Amazon queen makes a half-hearted attempt to chase after him, but she is way too slow. Stopping to catch her breath, she sees her battle sisters rush past all around her: With the defeat of their commander, the Lizardman centre is crumbling before their might!

OJeGxEQ.jpg

"Come back here so I can – (pant) – kill you!"

* * *​

From a surprisingly even contest, the battle of Pillhuitzloli suddenly turns into a rout. So abruptly does the tides change that the Lizardmen are unable to disengage. Calypso and Inanna's flanks collapse on the main Tlaxian force, catching them out and all but annihilating them.

Only a handful of Lizardmen avoid death or capture, with the overlord of Tlax managing to get away with his bodyguard. However, Lyssa has no intention of chasing after a broken foe. Glory awaits as she marches on Tlax itself.

With the enemy army shattered, final victory seems within easy reach. It proves to be anything but simple. Constantly harassed, the Amazons have to move slowly to seize scattered strongholds and settlements en route. This is something Queen Lyssa fully expects, however, and in fact she sees it as crucial to success. As stories of the Great Catastrophe have been told and retold among the Amazons, the queen knows very well the esoteric last line of defence the city possesses.

Following the movement of the sun and moon and stars, at certain times Tlax becomes host to spectral battles, long-dead Lizardmen and foul deamons relive a millennia old conflict. Tlax is not the City of Ghosts for nothing.

N8pbPPf.jpg

War re-enactment taken way too far
The still-living Lizardmen know to avoid the haunting echoes of history. The Amazons, on the other hand, are not fully aware of the patterns and method to the madness. They know enough to perform raids like the ones Lyssa has pulled off in the past, but even with the knowledge gathered from those, taking control of the city is another matter.

Over the following months, the Amazons invade the city several times, only to be forced to evacuate later to avoid falling prey to the ethereal cohorts when they materialize. Keeping control of surrounding bases becomes paramount so they have something to fall back to each time. Where her soldiers – and especially Inanna – may have resented spending weeks and months taking seemingly inconsequential settlements, perhaps now they can at least appreciate holding them.

Ventures like her crossing of the Great Sea may have been borderline foolhardy, but in this campaign Lyssa takes no chances. With Calypso acting as a necessary counterweight to the impetuous Inanna, the Amazons keeps probing the mighty City of Ghosts. The Sisterhood makes extensive notes about behaviour of its ghosts, even as the shieldmaidens are under strict orders not to run afoul of them.

When a large patrol ventures too far against their queen's command, only to re-emerge three days later as gibbering wrecks, Lyssa becomes even more careful. The jungles around Tlax turn into a web of defensive works, even as small pieces of the city is seized in well-calculated strikes. Inside, the Lizardmen are kept contained and unable to escape.

Finally, after almost two years of campaigning, the Sisterhood predict a lull in ghost activity coinciding with the new year. Calypso and the top Amazon commanders are confident that with their extensive preparations, the promised window will be sufficient to take the elusive prize. After methodical operations and planning the time is ripe for a final gamble.

The foremost commanders, the priestesses of the Sisterhood as well as Inanna and Calypso, stand before the queen's tent. They are all tense with expectation. The stegadon skull outside the tent has kept anyone from questioning their leader and tonight is no exception.

Finally the queen emerges. Her red robe flutters in the wind. Her armour has been left behind as she has spent hours deliberating and ostensibly communing with Rigg. The small crowd waits with bated breath to hear her verdict.

Halting her step, the queen breaks the intense silence: "We're out of mead..." she laments to a nearby servant, though with a heavy tinge of significance to her voice. It almost sounds like the awaited decision, but Calypso is forced to ask for clarification:

"Do we attack tomorrow, My Queen?"

Lyssa inclines her head, internal conflict writ boldly upon her face. If it is making up her mind she struggles with, she is not allowed to do so before the meeting is interrupted.

"Your Highness, there is someone here to see you."

Lyssa's brow furrows, then immediately eases into a wide grin as the sudden guest is revealed.

"Ah, Chancellor Phaedra the Bold," she beams affectionately and with approval of her daughter's accomplishments. Phaedra grins smugly at the greeting.

"That is what they call you, isn't it?"

Somehow, the princess manages to look even more self-satisfied, barely able to contain her glee. As usual, this prompts an array of dismissive gestures and facial expressions from her jealous sister.

"Aren't you supposed to be in Teuninochacal?" Inanna barks at Phaedra, looking close to pouting like a child.

"And that's the reason I'm here. I bring both good and strange news," the Chancellor explains. She steps closer to her mother before elaborating: "The Tarantula Coast Amazons are ready to accept you as their queen. All that stands in our way is Matriarch Parthenia."

SKeSl0q.jpg

Lyssa nods, giving the matter some thought before wondering: "And what are the strange news?"

"Some raiders from Mamazo returned from the frozen north," Phaedra says with great deliberation, as if she has to work hard to convince the audience that she speaks truth. "They bring news from the dark elves of that land. It seems their kingdom has been thrown into chaos. Word is... somehow, their eternal Witch King has perished."

Lyssa's eyes light up, her mind obviously racing with possibility behind them. Shaking her head slightly, she tries to focus. She reaches out to squeeze Phaedra's shoulder and smiles: "One thing at a time," she says, mostly to herself.

Turning back to the rest of her audience, the queen puts a hand on her hip: "For now, I believe there is something we are obliged to see through. The wind of righteousness prevails and shows us the way."​

8LCZvGc.jpg

Is anything in this family ever not suspicious?

How can war re-enacting ever go too far? :p

I dunno, perhaps, when somebody actually starts dying off during the reenactment?:rolleyes:

That's usually Mother Nature's fault, not the re-enactors! :p

How can war re-enacting ever go too far? :p
I feel like when you've been at it for 6000 years it's about time for a change of pace. But that's just me.
And a big thank you for the nomination! :)

Well, quite the fight with the Stegadon.
And hopefully not too long or too brief. Or too confusing :p

Chapter 27
Chapter 27: The City of Ghosts
VNkTq94.jpg

The stage is set. The pieces are in position. The outlying barrios of Tlax have been seized and fortified, one by one. Now the city itself is predicted to be open to attack. After close to a year of planning and preparation, the time has come for a rather different way of making battle than what the Amazons are used to. By necessity, everything is to be coordinated – even the aftermath.

Standing on top of a crumbling pyramid outside of Tlax itself, Queen Lyssa observes the future battlefield. She might not be the greatest Amazon general of her time, but she has a way of convincing those who are to work together. And this morning she has a particularly talented and reliable set: Recently arrived, her daughter Phaedra joins Inanna and Calypso to lead the incursion into the cursed city.

Lyssa watches as her army marches into Tlax. The jealous and small-minded can say what they want about her staying behind. This is a risky operation and someone has to coordinate the forces if things go wrong. After all, her daughters are out there. She will not sacrifice them on the altar of vanity just to placate some foolish naysayers.

Standing with their queen are a handful of members of the Sisterhood. As the most well-versed in arcane matters available to Lyssa, they look for signs and portents should the spectral host of Tlax reappear despite their calculations. Having helped formulate the battle plan based on those predictions, they also offer some unsolicited advice...

"Look! That's Princess Innana's banner," one of them warns. "She is advancing too quickly. What if she is caught out?"

Lyssa raises a hand to silence the woman. A smile appears on her lips as she observes her forces advance with little opposition. "As expected..." the queen chuckles to herself before turning to the Sisters: "She won't be exposed for long," she assures them confidently.

"Your Highness, something is happening on the left... Princess Phaedra is rushing past her objectives as well!"

Taking these news with supreme calm, Lyssa crosses her arms and nods: "Looks like they are able to monitor each other's progress down there," she says approvingly, and with a certain measure of relief.

Put in charge of the encircling force, Inanna's troops have the furthest to march. This is not unintentional. Because of it, the – perhaps reckless – push only serves to even out the disparity in the combined army's advance. Meanwhile, Lyssa has placed her other daughter to cover Inanna's flank. The ambitious Phaedra is thus quickly made aware of Inanna's increased pace. Not one to be outdone, especially by her older sister, Phaedra immediately whips her own troops into action to try and catch up.

Moving with the main force, the older and less impetuous Calypso does not need to perform any flanking maneuvers. This allows her to steadily engage and tie up the Lizardman defenders – without the two princesses getting too far ahead.

In a fighting retreat, the Lizardmen forces gradually lure Calypso's forces further into the city. However, the experienced general is not one to take the bait and let her warriors charge ahead. Instead she sticks to the plan, dragging out the withdrawal for as long as she can.

"The lizards are falling back to the main citadel!" one of the queen's aides warn her. When she remains unmoving, eyes fixed on the city before them, the Sister eventually ventures: "...Your Highness?"

"Are we to lay siege to the Great Pyramid?" another asks.

Deep in concentration, Lyssa taps a finger on her hip. Two fingers. Then, with all five fingers drumming against her armoured skirt, she nods firmly: "Fire the Miyan arrows."

The order is quickly relayed and, from the pyramid step just below them, a flight of arrows are let loose. A special halfling weapon, the carved shafts howl as they glide through the air, filling the city streets with an eerie sound.

"Don't be distracted..." Lyssa implores softly. "Don't be distracted..."

Before her, the Lizardmen quickly recover from the strange sound that rides the wind. The Amazons however, do not lose a step and follow them as they pour into the plaza before the Great Pyramid. Calypso and Phaedra's warriors move in to cut off the southern and eastern exits, but the north-west is left open – a gateway to the protection of the Great Pyramid. Inanna is nowhere to be seen.

Lyssa's jaw clenches: "I swear... if she is chasing a couple diversionary skinks..." She folds her hands over her belly, doing her best to remain calm. It is not made any easier by the chatter of the Sisters:

"Did she not hear the signal?"

"Six days is not enough to besiege that fortress..."

Then a savage chorus erupts from the plaza, loud enough for the observers to hear clearly over the din of battle. Charging in from around the corner of the Great Pyramid, Inanna and her warriors run at full speed to smash into the Lizardman rear. Taking advantage of the chaos, the shieldmaidens fan out to cut off all avenues of retreat.

sfZGah2.jpg

"Surrounded," Lyssa nods approvingly. She gestures towards the improvised corral in the city centre: "Shall we join them?"​

After a lengthy campaign, the city of Tlax is finally in Amazon hands. A mighty Lizardman temple city, under Amazon control. It is a victory for the ages, but the occupation must remain short. In fact, as soon as they have rounded up as many captives as they can manage, the Amazons are on the move once more. As long as the spirits of the dead haunt Tlax, Amazons cannot remain within its boundaries for long. After five days of plunder following their conquest the Amazon army leaves and splits in two.

One half march the captives and loot back to the waiting ships. The rest move even further into the Lizardman jungles. There they continue the long flower war for a while longer, raiding smaller settlements. Even the temple of Telpotl is left unscathed. Out of the deep jungle, the Amazons bring even more captives, so many they worry their ships might not be able to carry them all. It is time to go home.

AHwYKli.jpg

* * *​

Word of Lyssa's victory precedes her and when she finally returns, two years after she left, it is to a rapturous welcome. Captives are marched through the streets of Ganaina in processions that seem never-ending. It is truly a flower harvest the likes of which no living Amazon has seen. One could be forgiven for thinking the entire domain of Tlax has been depopulated.

The euphoria turns doubters into believers. There is no denying Queen Lyssa has Rigg's blessing and with her, Amazonia itself. At long last the realm is recovering from the terrible events of 1997. Surely all of Rigg's children must now desire to be welcomed into the protection and prosperity of Amazonia's bosom. Even if it might take some convincing...

cHsNpm3.jpg

You're next, Chucaja/Teuninochacal (if that is your real name)

Nothing like victory to silence the doubters. Lyssa and her daughters are truly terrifying when they work together.

Inanna is truly in her element on the battlefield. A shame that it seems to be the only place that this is true... Ah well, at least the most martial among the Amazons shouldn't have too many complaints about the heir to the throne.

Nothing like victory to silence the doubters. Lyssa and her daughters are truly terrifying when they work together.
As long as mom is there to keep them on a leash, Innana and Phaedra are a competent duo.

Inanna is truly in her element on the battlefield. A shame that it seems to be the only place that this is true... Ah well, at least the most martial among the Amazons shouldn't have too many complaints about the heir to the throne.
Hopefully she can learn a thing or two before Lyssa kicks the bucket... (or Maya sweeps in from the sidelines to stage a coup!)