• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arakrates

QA Manager
Paradox Staff
QA
May 4, 2021
Heya y'all!

First of all, for those that don't know me, Hi! My name is Riad, and I am the current QA Lead for Crusader Kings III, working together with my amazing team during the post-release period to make sure each of your issues are raised to the developers and (hopefully soon) alleviated.

I want to mention how amazing it's been to see all of you play through the latest update and give your feedback (both positive and negative) on your experiences. Of course, I also want to raise an extra special thanks to all of you helping out our development team by reporting and highlighting any issues you have found in the game so far.

Now with that said, we are currently investigating a particular issue that has been highlighted by all of you, which are the mysteriously missing faces that keep popping up in different courts around the world. We've been hard at work investigating this issue since the release of 1.7, but have since then we only managed to get this issue to replicate once, randomly.

The difficulty of this issue has been that as soon as you pass some in-game time or restart your game it's completely gone, that coupled with the fact the we do not have a solid reproduction step, has made this issue particularly hard to debug. We currently have a working theory, that it possibly might be related to any of the in-game graphics settings, and are looking for a common denominator. For this, I want to once again ask for all of your assistance!

If you have encountered this bug, then please make a post here following this format:

Game Version: (Game Version)
Mods Installed: Yes/No (If possible, please list them)
Where did you observe this issue: (Character/Prisoner/Council View) (If possible, also list region/county of the person)
Other Information/Observation: (Type here)

In addition to filling out these details, please upload you "system.log" and "pdx_settings.txt"-file.
You can easily find these by navigating to your "\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III"-folder (system.log is inside the logs folder)

If you have any other leads on this issue that you think might be good for us to know about, then please let us know in this thread!
In the meanwhile, I want to once again thank you all for your help and support.

It's been extremely heartwarming to see y'all post about the update, and I hope we can continue to deliver further updates and content for you all to enjoy.

Until then, Godspeed!

Riad

Attachments

• Horror.png
    Horror.png
    779,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 10Like
  • 4Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Game Version: 1.7.2
Mods Installed: No
Where did you observe this issue: Missing face is only in the non-animated portrait of my daughter. When looking on 3D model of the character, her face is normal.
Other information: After restarting the game, her face was fine.

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    4,9 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    875 bytes · Views: 0
  • 20221025121722_1.jpg
    20221025121722_1.jpg
    594,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221025122046_1.jpg
    20221025122046_1.jpg
    586,9 KB · Views: 0
Game Version: 1.7.2
Where did you observe this issue: (Prisoner View) Catholic, Cornish, Mercia
Other Information/Observation: Missing face

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    4,9 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    880 bytes · Views: 0
  • 2022-10-25 23_44_58-Crusader Kings III.png
    2022-10-25 23_44_58-Crusader Kings III.png
    4,3 MB · Views: 0
Game Version: 1.7.2 and 1.8.0
Mods Installed: Both
Where did you observe this issue: Character models in-game and in ruler designer
Other Information/Observation: Having initially encountered this issue while doing character appearance modding, I thought I'd caused it, so I've actually looked into this quite a bit.

The issue for me appears for characters between certain age ranges, usually on the child models (but, as the screenshot attests, also extending into the adult models), and notably can be toggled for individual characters in the ruler designer by switching between the chin definition genes. However, some characters will be missing a face with the one gene, while others will be missing it with the other.

I've also found that toggling Character SSAO in the graphics settings affects this (fixing it for some characters, causing it for others), so I'm not sure it's entirely related to the scripting—there might be a more serious issue with the underlying graphics code. If it's of any help, I'm using an NVIDIA GTX 660.

Attachments

• 20221212132821_1.jpg
    20221212132821_1.jpg
    250,5 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    5 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    867 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Game Version: Robe 1.8.1
Mods Installed: No.
Where did you observe this issue: Multiple times in-game with children but over various playthroughs so haven't gotten those saved. However, I've now also encountered it before the game even starts:
- 867 start: The Great Adventurers. Rurik Rurikid, age 44. Duke of Novgorod.
- 867 start: The Carolingians. Louis the Stammerer (Son of Charles the Bald, King of West Francia.)
Other Information/Observation: It seems to be getting worse/more frequent? I initially started getting it with imported CK3 characters, but never on the characters the game itself makes. Now it's spread to the starting characters it seems.

Going back to the main menu and then back to the game selection screen has fixed the issue however.

Attachments

• 20230125130141_1.jpg
    20230125130141_1.jpg
    528,9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230125130156_1.jpg
    20230125130156_1.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    869 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
Reactions:
Game Version: 1.8.1
Where did you observe this issue: Birth of Granddaughter, in Iberia / Toledo
Other Information/Observation: Faceless in birth pic and on character page, but in the "location tooltip" pin, my granddaughter DOES have a face.

Closing the Birth window immediately gave my granddaughter her normal face.

Attachments

• system.log
    868 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
  • FacelessBug.png
    FacelessBug.png
    3,3 MB · Views: 0
Game Version: 1.8.2
Mods Installed: Yes (CK2 Style Brighter Attributes and CK2 Colorful Lifestyle Traits)
Where did you observe this issue: (Family view and marriage proposals) (Almost exclusively in India)
Other Information/Observation: none

Attachments

• 20230418164241_1.jpg
    20230418164241_1.jpg
    490,6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230418164256_1.jpg
    20230418164256_1.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230418172045_1.jpg
    20230418172045_1.jpg
    436,6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230418172122_1.jpg
    20230418172122_1.jpg
    401,1 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    867 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
Game Version: 1.8.2
Mods Installed: No (All DLCs to date)
Where did you observe this issue: Character sheet (Desmond - was playing after the tutorial)
Other Information/Observation: None

Attachments

• 20230511155348_1.jpg
    20230511155348_1.jpg
    399,4 KB · Views: 0
Game Version: Lance (1.9.0.2)
Where did you observe this issue: Grand Wedding Event in Ibibo
Other Information/Observation: Seems something related to the animation somehow?

1683824852390.png

Game Version: 1.9.0.2 and before
Where did you observe this issue: I've seen it when I open the current player panel and can see my children in a row; when looking at the courtier list in the large format from the right-hand toolbar; when viewing other characters of interest in their residences, both courts and wandering, especially while browsing for info to make marriage decisions. (Not seen yet on a traveling character.) Like sweusa above, I overwhelmingly see this issue on characters from India and and other Southwest Asian territories.
Other Information/Observation: Today I started a game in the duchy-tier realm of Kasyar, and saw it three times: an adult woman courtier of mine, another adult woman married to a potential alliance in what is now southern India, and more briefly on a child nephew of my player ruler. By more briefly, I mean that I clicked away from him and looked again after a few moments, and his face was fine again. This didn't work with the women today, but I may not have returned to them as persistently.

In past games, I've seen it most with children (especially infants and under-sixes), sometimes with women, and once with a Norse man. I had this happen when I turned off character animations in previous games, too, so if that's the problem, it's not the whole problem. I think the hairstyle in the screenshot Arakrates posted might be particularly vulnerable to it, because both bugged women today and some in the past sported it, but that could very easily be a red herring from it and the bug appearing independently but commonly in SWA! For that matter, the Norse man I saw with this bug had one of the very flowing hairstyles, either the same one as ProfPain77 showed or one close to it, and a full beard. There's a simple headscarf worn by low-ranking women in MENA and Western Asia that I also associate with higher risk of this glitch. It's white or off-white and drapes around the face...maybe you know the one I mean, but I'll try to screenshot it if I get a chance.

Attachments

• system.log
    870 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    5,5 KB · Views: 0
Game Version: 1.9.0.3
Where did you observe this issue: Sultan Muhammad ibn Abd al-Rahman of al-Andalus when reloading a save at the 867 game start.
Other Information/Observation: Seems to disappear as soon as he changes location from Qurtubah, though this could also be caused by the fact that he changes clothes when leading troops in war. It doesn't disappear just when time passes in-game.

Attachments

• Screenshot (296).png
    Screenshot (296).png
    8,8 MB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
  • system.log
    891 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Game Version: 1.9.0.4 and before
Where did you observe this issue: Character viewer while playing in Nepal and surrounding areas.
Other Information/Observation: Posting again because I got an instance of two characters displaying the glitch at once, and thought that might be useful. You can see it on two of my character's daughters in the line-up of his children, side by side. They were, I think, 22 and 19, and both married to rulers of duchy-tier realms. I believe they wore the same fashion assets on their upper body in different colors.

Edit to add: My system log is also empty.

Attachments

• Screenshot (78).png
    Screenshot (78).png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
Last edited:
Game Version: 1.9.0.4
Where did you observe this issue: Character View of Sultan Muhammad ... of al-Andalus
Other Information/Observation: system.log is empty

Attachments

• 20230519185446_1.jpg
    20230519185446_1.jpg
    934,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Galinda_2.ck3
    3,6 MB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
Game Version: 1.9.2.1 (Lance)
Where did you observe this issue: Every character's body right after launching the game is invisible, only eyes, hair, beards and clothing can be seen
Other Information/Observation:
I uninstalled the game and the paradox-launcher and deleted the CK3-folder in my Documents-folder. The issue persisted even after a complete clean reinstallment of the game:
  • regardless which DLC's are toggled or all/none
  • the issue does not go away after some time in the game - even after two years of ingame time, all character bodies were still invisible.
  • returning to older versions of the game did not fix the issue
  • the game worked fine until roughly the beginning of this week, so until the end of July 2023 - I haven't played it a few weeks
  • I suppose it first showed up after the 1.9.2 or the 1.9.2.1 Update - I was able to play without problems after the launch of Tours & Tournaments
  • happens also in character generator

Attachments

• system.log
    874 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    5,6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023_08_01_1.png
    2023_08_01_1.png
    2,2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2023_08_01_2.png
    2023_08_01_2.png
    2,4 MB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Game Version: 1.10.0.1
Where did you observe this issue: Character Finder and Character View. Unlanded person in Venezia, still issue after being married into my court in Cagliari, Sardini.
Other Information/Observation: (Type here)

Attachments

• CK3 Missing face.jpg
    CK3 Missing face.jpg
    512,2 KB · Views: 0
  • CK3 Missing face 2.jpg
    CK3 Missing face 2.jpg
    537,4 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    5,6 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    870 bytes · Views: 0
Game Version: 1.9.2.1 (Lance)
Where did you observe this issue: Every character's body right after launching the game is invisible, only eyes, hair, beards and clothing can be seen
Other Information/Observation:
I uninstalled the game and the paradox-launcher and deleted the CK3-folder in my Documents-folder. The issue persisted even after a complete clean reinstallment of the game:
  • regardless which DLC's are toggled or all/none
  • the issue does not go away after some time in the game - even after two years of ingame time, all character bodies were still invisible.
  • returning to older versions of the game did not fix the issue
  • the game worked fine until roughly the beginning of this week, so until the end of July 2023 - I haven't played it a few weeks
  • I suppose it first showed up after the 1.9.2 or the 1.9.2.1 Update - I was able to play without problems after the launch of Tours & Tournaments
  • happens also in character generator

Update:
Deinstallation didn't delete all files in my Steam Folder, I deleted them manually and reinstalled the game. That solved the problem. So check your Steam Folder for left-over CK3 Files when you are trying a clean reinstallation.

Game Version: 1.11.0
Where did you observe this issue: Literally every female in the game, observed it first in my concubine playing in Vestfold (Scandinavia 867 Start Date)

Attachments

• demon.PNG
    demon.PNG
    255,7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: