• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arakrates

QA Manager
Paradox Staff
QA
May 4, 2021
Heya y'all!

First of all, for those that don't know me, Hi! My name is Riad, and I am the current QA Lead for Crusader Kings III, working together with my amazing team during the post-release period to make sure each of your issues are raised to the developers and (hopefully soon) alleviated.

I want to mention how amazing it's been to see all of you play through the latest update and give your feedback (both positive and negative) on your experiences. Of course, I also want to raise an extra special thanks to all of you helping out our development team by reporting and highlighting any issues you have found in the game so far.

Now with that said, we are currently investigating a particular issue that has been highlighted by all of you, which are the mysteriously missing faces that keep popping up in different courts around the world. We've been hard at work investigating this issue since the release of 1.7, but have since then we only managed to get this issue to replicate once, randomly.

The difficulty of this issue has been that as soon as you pass some in-game time or restart your game it's completely gone, that coupled with the fact the we do not have a solid reproduction step, has made this issue particularly hard to debug. We currently have a working theory, that it possibly might be related to any of the in-game graphics settings, and are looking for a common denominator. For this, I want to once again ask for all of your assistance!

If you have encountered this bug, then please make a post here following this format:

Game Version: (Game Version)
Mods Installed: Yes/No (If possible, please list them)
Where did you observe this issue: (Character/Prisoner/Council View) (If possible, also list region/county of the person)
Other Information/Observation: (Type here)

In addition to filling out these details, please upload you "system.log" and "pdx_settings.txt"-file.
You can easily find these by navigating to your "\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III"-folder (system.log is inside the logs folder)

If you have any other leads on this issue that you think might be good for us to know about, then please let us know in this thread!
In the meanwhile, I want to once again thank you all for your help and support.

It's been extremely heartwarming to see y'all post about the update, and I hope we can continue to deliver further updates and content for you all to enjoy.

Until then, Godspeed!

Riad

Attachments

• Horror.png
    Horror.png
    779,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 10Like
  • 4Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
PC
W10
zero mods
Custom Character Creation
When moving the age slider, it (no face) was only for ages 20 to 25 (or maybe it was 21 to 25?), outside that range, face was fine.

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    4,9 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    871 bytes · Views: 0
  • steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpg
    steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpg
    327,8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
PC 1.7.0
Windows 10
No mods, all official DLC

I started a new game, made a save so I could screenshot my family on the opening screen, and then quit to desktop. Everything was fine. When I went back in, my wife's face was missing. I relaunched the game and it was fine. Haven't had the error since.

I was playing as the Chief of Nuon in West Africa.

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
  • system.log
    870 bytes · Views: 0
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9,8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Game Version: 1.7.0 (via Steam)
Mods Installed: No, Royal Edition + Friends & Foes

I played a multiplayer game and encountered the faceless child as a child of my dynasty after a couple of hours of play in the character window. I think I saw it first while checking my dynasty in the character window (so as a tile for a character), after that I had the same issue while checking out the character itself. The screenshot is from the character window

I didn't check with the other players if they also had the same faceless character or if it only was on my side. I played in the frisia region (but my culture was french at the time I think)

Attachments

• Zwischenablage02.png
    Zwischenablage02.png
    24,5 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
  • system.log
    881 bytes · Views: 0
just want to say that I am positively surprised PDX are doing something like this.:)

By the way: this was part of a PM to a former PDX member about War ticker bug: for war over multiple de jure countries (has this been fixed without me noticing it?)
myself never run into this problem. i just see this bug threads every now and then, therefore i assume it has to exist.
maybe a sticky thread where you ask for save-games before war, and inside bug if possible, you may find out how to reproduce. i am sure there are a few people that are willing to help if you ask.
therefore I just glad and PDX used this possibility, and it should also be done for other errors that they cannot understand or reproduce.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Game Version: 1.7.1 Steam
Mods Installed: No
Where did you observe this issue:
I was looking at my character screen and noticed my liege's face was weird
Other Information/Observation: Looks like when he got sick, he lost his face when changing into the sick robes, but when I exited the game and reloaded his face was fixed but hopefully the logs still help

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
  • system.log
    874 bytes · Views: 0
PC
W10
zero mods
Custom Character Creation
When moving the age slider, it (no face) was only for ages 20 to 25 (or maybe it was 21 to 25?), outside that range, face was fine.

Interesting then that Paradox's sample image also has someone between age 20 to 25, although that doesn't explain why it happens to kids.

Edit: Here is someone age 16 with the problem also, so I'm thinking the age thing might just be a coincidence.

Last edited:
Game Version: 1.7.0 (via Steam)
Mods Installed: No, Royal Edition + Friends & Foes

I played a multiplayer game and encountered the faceless child as a child of my dynasty after a couple of hours of play in the character window. I think I saw it first while checking my dynasty in the character window (so as a tile for a character), after that I had the same issue while checking out the character itself. The screenshot is from the character window

I didn't check with the other players if they also had the same faceless character or if it only was on my side. I played in the frisia region (but my culture was french at the time I think)
On the same game I got the missing face when looking at the succession of another player. The problem only exists on my side, he can see the face fine

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    72,2 KB · Views: 0
  • index2.jpg
    index2.jpg
    161,6 KB · Views: 0
  • Zwischenablage02.png
    Zwischenablage02.png
    323,4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Game Version: 1.7.1
Where did you observe this issue: Character View, my son serving in the Varangian Guard, married to the Aladdin knockoff from the Royal Court event
Other Information/Observation: My son had a face until he didn't, he was definitely born and matured with a face, but lost it in the Varangian Guard

Oh, as an edit to this, my son's face regenerated when a Crusade started and he donned his armour

Attachments

• 1663546020570.png
    1663546020570.png
    885,3 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    875 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
Where did you observe this issue: Character View, my son serving in the Varangian Guard, married to the Aladdin knockoff from the Royal Court event
Other Information/Observation: My son had a face until he didn't, he was definitely born and matured with a face, but lost it in the Varangian Guard

Oh, as an edit to this, my son's face regenerated when a Crusade started and he donned his armour
same save file, new faceless man appears, as the year ticked over his face reappeared - I've attached the save file since this is the only time I've seen this bug

Attachments

• 1663546715418.png
    1663546715418.png
    837,7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1663546759055.png
    1663546759055.png
    837,1 KB · Views: 0
  • Yngling_1066_Ironman.ck3
    11,9 MB · Views: 0
Where did you observe this issue: When loading a previous save
Other Information/Observation: I closed and reopened the game and it fixed itself
(Srry, I don't have a screenshot, but it was exactly like this)

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
  • system.log
    871 bytes · Views: 0
Game Version: 1.7.1 (Steam, All DLCs)

Started game as Rurik Rurikid of Novgorod. Before unpausing, opened my character, and in Rurik character view saw that his wife has no face.
Exited to main menu -> his wife has no face.
Loaded game via "Continue" -> still no face.
Exit game to desktop, restart application -> face is fixed in main menu, and it is fixed when load game via "Continue"

Attachments

• system.log
    869 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
So, now I've got a disappeared body

Game Version: 1.7.1 (Steam, All DLCs)

Still the same game with Rurik's dynasty. My character is a lunatic, thus nakedness. Here I just loaded the game, and it showed no body for my character's wife on main menu. And no body when I load the game.
Everything's fixed by restarting the app

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
  • system.log
  • 20220923193313_1.jpg
    20220923193313_1.jpg
    601,5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220923193832_1.jpg
    20220923193832_1.jpg
    1,3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Where did you observe this issue: From event only
Other Information/Observation: Ango-Saxon culture, age 30. Full list of traits:
Greedy, Humble, Vengeful, Astute Intellectual, Adulterer, Flagellant, Gout Ridden, Lunatic, Smallpox (recently acquired)

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
  • system.log
  • ck3 missing face.png
    ck3 missing face.png
    4,1 MB · Views: 0
Game version: 1.7.1
Mods installed: None are active, but yes, some are installed on the machine.
Where did you observe this issue: Character screen. Notably the face is visible on the small icon on the map (see screenshot).
Other information: The guy is a vassal I haven't interacted with since his father died a few years ago, and the first time I do his face is missing.

I've got the game open and paused with the glitch visible, and can set aside some time today if a dev wants to have a look (if anybody is looking at this at Saturday afternoon?).

Attachments

• NoFace-Glitch.PNG
    NoFace-Glitch.PNG
    2,2 MB · Views: 0
  • system.txt
    888 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    5 KB · Views: 0
Just wanted to say that the QA on this game has been fantastic. By far the most polished Paradox title on release, and one of the most polished games I've played in the last 10 years.

Game Version: 1.7.2
Where did you observe this issue: My son came of age at 16 and I clicked on the portrait to see the fine young man he had become. I was greeted with this monstrosity:

Attachments

• Screenshot (105).png
    Screenshot (105).png
    12,7 MB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    870 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Where did you observe this issue: I randomly found this one, it's the son of a neighbour count (see screenshot below)
Other information: when I reloaded the game, this character was back to normal

Attachments

• faceless.png
    faceless.png
    4,2 MB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
  • system.log
    866 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you observe this issue: Portrait of the opponent my liege is at war with, new game, first load.
Other information: Not a problem on the profile of the character this time, just the war screen. Most often had the bug with new children.

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
  • system.log
    868 bytes · Views: 0
  • 20221012143005_1.jpg
    20221012143005_1.jpg
    446,1 KB · Views: 0
Checksum: ba42
Mods installed: No
Where did you observe this issue: Wife gave birth to son, My Son and Heir screen showed faceless child. Popup New Heir shows child with face.
Other information: First time in this save this bug happens

20221017124618_1.jpg

Attachments

• error.log
    451,8 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    872 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt