• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've had one report that copying the entire Steam CK2 folder from another machine got that customer working (in his case, from a friend's Steam account).

Do you have access to a different computer to try the game on? It would be very interesting to see if it happens there too - that will help determine if it's a Steam account issue or a local computer issue.

Having the same issue on Windows 10 (attached is a DxDiag). Don't have another PC handy but just tested on a friend's Mac with my Steam account and it installed no problem.

So doesn't seem like it would be a issue then with the account, going to see if I can get my hands on another PC later on and will give copying over the files a try if I can.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    65 KB · Views: 3
Reactions:
Another customer has installed from his same account onto a different Windows machine and the same problem occurred. That appears to confirm it is a Steam issue, not a local PC issue, although I still have to check if that second computer is at the same location and using (eg) the same AV software or whatever as his original one.

The Mac/Linux reports are interesting, but what we really need are Windows-Windows comparisons. In particular:

- use your same Steam account to install the game on a different PC in a different physical location (network)

- have a friend or relative (who own the game obviously) install the game using their Steam account on your computer that had this problem

Thank you all very much for your contributions so far, I'm sure we'll get there! We have been unable to duplicate the issue ourselves so we rely on your help - thanks so much!

Reactions:
I've contacted Steam Support and after several days of different attempts, they've finally fixed it for me!
Oh yeah? That's great!

Did they give any hint as to the cause of the problem?

I wonder if that's just helped you, or everyone affected? We shall see soon no doubt ...

Progress!

I've been able to test half of your recommendation Andrew. By logging into a relative's steam account (on my own windows computer) I've been able to successfully reinstall the game. All files are where they should be and the game works.

My process was:
clearing out all CK2 files from my computer
restart
install

This obviously isn't a fix, just a work around but it appears to show this is a steam problem, not a local PC one. Unfortunately I don't have another machine to try the installation using my own account to confirm this.

They didn't give me any info, merely said that they've made changes to the game and to try again.

Definitely seemed to make some changes, booted up my computer today and saw Steam downloading the missing files for it. Launches fine now, and the CTD on Loading Databases is gone too.

Reactions: