• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Thaif

Rememberer
75 Badges
Nov 14, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • War of the Vikings
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
This is something I've been mulling over for a while as a way to have a midway between the "accepted vs non-accepted culture" mechanic as it's not always very well scaled and it doesn't offer that much in the way of interaction or decision making.
Adding to that the Cradle of Civilization patch is adding religion and Culture to Advisors, Rulers, Heirs and Consorts so the suggestion will add more color and width to that feature also.

With that in mind lets go over how Minorities could work as an Estate:
Can be given a province with:
  • A non-accepted culture of the same culture group as the primary culture.
  • Or a culture of a different culture group, whether accepted or not.
That's a pretty broad trigger for sure, but you will have to consider if "estating" a minority will be worth it. Giving a cultural minority an estate province will remove the culture difference penalty from that province with a minimum province autonomy of 33%.

While the minority estate holds a province, that province cannot be converted away from the minority culture. The minority estates would be represented by their national tag "shield" in the Estate interface.

The interactions for the Minority Estate would be:
  • Raise Auxiliaries - Raise special type of infantry and cavalry troops called Auxiliaries, that do not cost anything to maintain, but cannot reinforce. The cost of this action would be Loyalty from the estate and cold hard cash from your coffers. The amount raised would be tied to the manpower of the provinces the estate owns, so the more manpower they have the larger the amount of raised troops and monetary cost.
  • Collect Tribute - Collect money from provinces of the estate. Influenced by the tax development of the estates provinces, the higher the better. Cost is estate loyalty and temporary local unrest.
  • Grant Trading Rights - Removes autonomy penalty from production for a set amount of years(between 5-10 years). Cost is a bit of diplomatic power, a reduction in Burgher loyalty and increase in minority estate influence & loyalty.
  • Endorse Local Rulers - Simple loyalty booster with the cost of reduced Noble estate loyalty and increased influence and local autonomy for the minority estate.
  • Promote Officers - Gain army and naval tradition based on the manpower and sailors of estate provinces. Cost is prestige and military power, with increased influence and small loyalty boost.
  • Recruit Minister - Recruit a discounted advisor to your court. Has the culture and religion of the minority in question. The advisor can be chosen from the resulting pop-up window after the interaction has been activated.
Those are the few I felt were fitting and useful enough. Naturally there could be further interactions added like they have to the Cossack estate. The interactions should not be available if a minority estate does not hold any provinces.
Like the Cossack Estate the Minority Estate disaster entails the estate rising up in an independence rebellion against their most benevolent overlords.
Not all cultures have a primary nation defined for them so either that would have to be done or they would just create a custom nation like the Cossacks do.
Personally I'd prefer the primary nation route for added immersion, accuracy and whatnot.

A system like this would offer a midway between the current culture system, adds gameplay and is relatively simple to implement mechanically.
The added national flags and graphics would of course be a bigger endeavor.
An added benefit would be for smaller cultures, that being those with only a few provinces, to be relevant to gameplay and offer potential benefits or if mismanaged some hectic moments.

There's definitely things I didn't cover here and potential issues I haven't thought of, not to mention that the design on the suggestion might need some adjusting, but the basic core is there.

Upvote 0
I thought about this too, but as I understand this is not plausible as the estate is tied to the cossacks DLC (thus all changes to estate only applies to owner's of that particular dlc)

That's the bigger hurdle here for sure, however I figured to post this now as the coming expansion and patch are going to put Tribal Federation government type(a previously free core feature) into the paid expansion with new mechanics, so why couldn't that work the other way around and give something to those without the Cossacks.
Since culture is already in the base game, tying a part of a feature from an expansion to it might be a good "sales pitch".

Needless to say this would be a good modding project, assuming all the interaction are moddable. The auxiliaries at least would not be, from what I know.

Last edited: