• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Allenby

Custom User Title
8 Badges
Apr 4, 2003
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
1914: Ministers

I think the minister lists can stay as they are, on the whole, but Heads of State and Heads of Government have new traits in HOI II. We ought to assign these first and foremost.

The traits and their effects are as follows:

Head of State
Power-Hungry Demagogue; Belligerence-(in peace)/Belligerence+(in war)/alliance w. dictatorships easier

The Power-Hungry Demagogue is an angry vengeful man full of hatred. However he possesses a demonic charisma that enchants the frustrated masses. He has but one real purpose and that is to control and shape the world into one of his liking.

Barking Buffoon; Unit morale-/Belligerence-(in peace),Relations w. democracies+(in peace)

The Barking Buffoon is a great political dramatic actor. People see him as a strong and competent leader who will save the nation and restore it to its historical greatness. But behind his mask of bombastic rhetoric hides a weak-minded, vain simpleton. Those who really know him, know he is an incompetent man.

Stern Imperialist; Unit production+,Consumer Goods need+,dissent+

The Stern Imperialist is a staunch nationalist. He is neither charming nor an administrative genius. However he has one big asset, namely his fanatical determination to improve his nation's status. He will use any means to achieve that goal, be it political or military.

Ruthless Powermonger; Infantry-Militia Cost-(large)/Coups against nation impossible/Unit Org-/money from Consumer Goods-(large)

The Ruthless Powermonger treats his country and his people as personal possessions. He is completely unscrupulous and he will let nothing stand between him and his goals. Sometimes he can develop a streak of paranoia which will endanger friend and foe alike.

Autocratic Charmer; Consumer Goods need-(small)/dissent-(small)/Production Bonus-(large)

The Autocratic Charmer uses his charisma and ruthlessness to stay in power. He charms friend and foe alike and is an excellent negotiator. However, day-to-day governing is not his style and corruption flourishes under his rule.

Resigned Generalissimo; dissent+/Money from GC-/supply prod+/TC bonus+

The Resigned Generalissimo came to power to save his country from the ruin of anarchy and popular sentiment. He is tired of political bickering and tries to run the country as he used to command his regiment. Still, he is a competent and decisive man.

Benevolent Gentleman; dissent-(small)/Consumer Goods need-(small)/Belligerence needed for DoW+

The Benevolent Gentleman is charismatic and a master at winning elections. However, he lacks the character to be truly successful at the nation's helm. When things get rough, he merely smiles and waits out the winds of political opinion.

Weary Stiffneck; diplomatic costs+, Unit morale+ (small)

The Weary Stiff-Neck is not the right man for this job. He tries to compensate for this with an aristocractic manner and stiff-necked acting. When it comes to politics he is weary and indecisive, always fearing that his lack of talent will show through his façade.

Insignificant Layman; dissent+ (small)/money from Consumer Goods+ (small)

The Insignificant Layman lacks any kind of ambition or political interest. The only reason people do not move against him is that he is fairly harmless and there is no better replacement.

Die-hard Reformer; Consumer Goods need-(large),Belligerence needed for DoW-,Money from Consumer Goods-(large)

The Die-Hard Reformer wants to promote his political values and preferred system of government to other countries. He is willing to intervene politically and military to achieve his goals.

Pig-headed Isolationist; Money from Consumer Goods+(large), Belligerence needed for DoW+

The Pig-Headed Isolationist is determined to keep his country out of war, and the mess of international politics. He might like or dislike international cooperation, but it is always national autonomy that is his goal.

Popular Figurehead; dissent-(large), Consumer Goods need+(large)

The Popular Figurehead has little power due to the system of government in his country. But due to his popularity, any firm statement of his will have to be taken into consideration by those who have power in the country.

Head of Government
Silent Workhorse; Production Bonus bonus+,diplomatic efficiency-

The Silent Workhorse compensates for his lack of charisma with hard work and competence. He rarely takes pride of place, instead letting the Head of State shine in the sun while he gets the job done.

Naive Optimist; Belligerence needed for DoW+, Consumer Goods need-

The Naive Optimist is a competent administrator and politician. However, he often succumbs to wishful thinking and fails to grasp the traps which have been laid for him.

Flamboyant Tough Guy; alliance w. same ideology easier, Leader skill effiency-

The Flamboyant Tough Guy is a natural leader and a real fighter. He will try to avoid conflict but, if forced to, he will fight to the bitter end. His showmanship generates many creative ideas which he will defend with the stubbornness of a mule, whether they are good or bad.

Happy Amateur; dissent-(small)/money from Consumer Goods- (small)

The Happy Amateur got his position by pure chance and knows nothing of politics or government. However overwhelmed by the surprise of being in office, his ever-smiling face gives him an aura of confidence. Luckily for him, the people are unaware of his staggering incompetence.

Backroom Backstabber; Coups against nation hard/Coups against others easier(small)/Production Bonus bonus-

The Backroom Backstabber is a political veteran with years of experience as a party whip and senior party member. No intrigue will oust him and no foreign government can topple him. Foreign governments have to be very cautious around him though.

Smiling Oilman; alliances-,oil production+

The Smiling Oilman is a self-made man and a former CEO of a large Oil Company. His experience, and some say his money, have brought him into office. However, he lacks political skill and is a novice in the international arena. At least he is thick-skinned, competent and a fast learner.

Old General; INF-MNT-MIL cost-,CA-CL-DD cost+

The Old General was appointed because of his powerbase and sometimes because of his glorious past. Not very interested or skilled in politics, he pursues his foremost interest: the state of the Army.

Old Admiral; CA-CL-DD cost-,TAC-ESC cost+

The Old Admiral was appointed because of his powerbase and sometimes because of his glorious past. Not very interested or skilled in politics, he pursues his foremost interest: the state of the Navy.

Old Air Marshal; TAC-ESC cost-, Inf-Mtn-Mil cost+

The Air Marshal was appointed because of his powerbase and sometimes because of his glorious past. Not very interested or skilled in politics, he pursues his foremost interest: the state of the Air Force.

Political Protege; dissent-(minimal),Consumer Goods needed+(minimal)

The Political Protégé is a political crony, a confidant of the Head of State. He is neither very liked nor very competent. He was chosen because he was loyal and had a large net of contacts.

Ambitious Union Boss; Consumer Goods needed-(large), dissent+(small), Money from Consumer Goods-

The Ambitious Union Boss is a harsh man who turned to politics to get the power to change things. He is still a man of the working class but his new environment has curbed his radicalism. He is a tough negotiator but lacks administrative skill. His background is also a liability in some circumstances.

Corporate Suit; Money from Consumer Goods+(large), dissent+(small), Unit costs+

The Corporate Suit has spent his life in the business world, far away from politics. He was originally brought in as an independent minister, but due his competence and cooperation skills he has reached the top. He has formed a large network of contacts, but he is out of place in politics.

Here's my initial suggestions for Germany and Britain. Admittedly, I don't know much about the personalities of some of the early Weimar-era Chancellors. :)

GERMANY
Heads of State:
Wilhelm II - Barking Buffoon
Wilhelm III - Weary Stiffneck
Karl Liebknecht - Die-hard Reformer
Friedrich Ebert - Popular Figurehead(?)
Hermann Ehrhardt - Ruthless Powermonger
Adolf Hitler - Power-Hungry Demagogue

Heads of Government:
Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg
Georg Michaelis - Political Protege
Count von Hertling - Naive Optimist
Prince Max von Baden - Silent Workhorse(?)
Hugo Haase - Naive Optimist
Karl Liebknecht - Ambitious Union Boss
Friedrich Ebert - Backroom Backstabber
Philipp Scheidemann - (?)
Gustav Bauer - (?)
Konstantin Fehrenbach - (?)
Joseph Wirth - (?)
Wilhelm Cuno - (?)
Gustav Stresemann - Flamboyant Tough Guy
Wilhelm Marx - (?)
Paul von Hindenburg - Old General
Wolfgang Kapp - Flamboyant Tough Guy
Gustav von Kahr - Flamboyant Tough Guy

BRITISH EMPIRE
Heads of State:
George V - Stern Imperialist
Tom Mann - Die-hard Reformer

Heads of Government:
H.H. Asquith - Silent Workhorse
David Lloyd George - Flamboyant Tough Guy
Andrew Bonar Law - Corporate Suit
Stanley Baldwin - Backroom Backstabber
Sir David Beatty - Old Admiral
Austen Chamberlain - Silent Workhorse
Marquess of Lansdowne - Naive Optimist
Harry Pollitt - Political Protege

Last edited:
Do people think that this is a fair assessment of potential U.S. Presidents?

UNITED STATES
Heads of State:
Woodrow Wilson (D) - Benevolent Gentleman
Warren G. Harding (R) - Autocratic Charmer
Calvin Coolidge (R) - Benevolent Gentleman
Charles Evans Hughes (R, 1916) - Insignificant Layman
Theodore Roosevelt (R/P, 1916) - Stern Imperialist
James M. Cox (D, 1920) - Benevolent Gentleman
John W. Davis (D, 1924) - Insignificant Layman
Robert M. LaFollette (Prog, 1924) - Pig-headed Isolationist
Eugene V. Debs (S, 1920) - Die-hard Reformer
Allan L. Benson (S, 1916) - Die-hard Reformer
Leonard Wood (Army) - Resigned Generalissimo
James Cannon (Communist) - Die-hard Reformer

Heads of Government:
Woodrow Wilson - Naive Optimist
Warren G. Harding - Backroom Backstabber
Calvin Coolidge - Silent Workhorse
Charles Evans Hughes - Silent Workhorse
Theodore Roosevelt - Flamboyant Tough Guy
James M. Cox - Political Protege
John W. Davis - Political Protege
Robert M. LaFollette - Flamboyant Tough Guy
Eugene V. Debs - Ambitious Union Boss
Allan L. Benson - Ambitious Union Boss
Leonard Wood - Old General
James Cannon - Ambitious Union Boss

Zuckergußgebäck said:
Gustaf V should be a stern imperialist...

Okay. :) Could you or Johan E come up with traits for the Swedish heads of government, please? Work on the TGW Swedish minister file.

Zuckergußgebäck said:
EDIT: Why is Hitler not listed as an option for head of government?

In the Munich Putsch event, the player has the opportunity of installing Hitler as Head of State with von Kahr, the Premier of Bavaria as the Head of Government. :)

Perhaps put Winston Churchill in as a possible Head of Government. I know it was the slightest chance of it happening, but around the time of Asquith's resignation as PM Churchill's name was being floated around by a few people.

As for his traits, possibly Flamboyant Tough Guy. Maybe Old Admiral. I know he wasn't actually an Admiral, or even in the navy for that matter (i think), but he was First Sea Lord before and at the beginning of the war so it could be a possibility.

Anyway, as I said it was an ever so slight chance of happening. Stranger things have happened.

Allenby I can see why you put Theodore Roosevelt (Head of State version) as a Stern Imperialist, but might not Diehard Reformer be better?

Not having the game as yet, I'm rather in the dark as to what the traits actually do. But the definition of Barking Buffoon is given as:

Barking Buffoon; Unit morale-/Belligerence-(in peace),Relations w. democracies+(in peace)

Does the - mean that this country's troops will have lower morale, and it will be less belligerent (= lower war entry score advancement in HoI terms)? And the + means that the country will be more friendly to democracies?

Because while the term 'barking buffoon' does seem an appropriate description of Kaiser Wilhelm, I don't think that penalising the morale of the German Army would be historically accurate.

Perhaps he should be given Stern Imperialist then. He did sacrifice a possible good relations with Great Britain in a vain attempt to build a navy to rival the RN.

edit: A Weary Stiffneck might also apply.

Shadow Knight said:
Allenby I can see why you put Theodore Roosevelt (Head of State version) as a Stern Imperialist, but might not Diehard Reformer be better?

I can see why he would be a Die Hard Reformer, but why would this trait be better suited to him than a 'Stern Imperialist'?

I'm assuming that you're thinking in terms of what a hypothetical second Roosevelt presidency would be like, not what his actual presidency and his time as Navy Secretary were marked by? :)

StephenT said:
I don't think that penalising the morale of the German Army would be historically accurate.

I agree wholeheartedly. Weary stiffneck it is. :)

Well I was going off more of what I recall of him being like while serving in New York State government. That I think the bonuses given by the Diehard reformer are more in line with TR than the Stern Imperialist.

Shadow Knight said:
Well I was going off more of what I recall of him being like while serving in New York State government. That I think the bonuses given by the Diehard reformer are more in line with TR than the Stern Imperialist.

Very well. Diehard reformer he shall be, then. :)

Gordon Freeman said:
Concerning the other leaders... what would they be?

Well, here's Russia for a start:

RUSSIA
Head of State:
Tsar Nikolai II - Ruthless Powermonger
Prince Lvov - Die-hard Reformer
V. I. Lenin - Power-Hungry Demagogue
Lavr Kornilov - Stern Imperialist
Anton Denikin - Stern Imperialist
Petr Wrangel - Resigned Generalissimo
Aleksandr Kerensky - Die-hard Reformer

Head of Government:
V.N. Kokovtsov - Naive Optimist
Ivan Goremykin - Political Protege
Boris Sturmer - Political Protege
Aleksandr Trepov - Silent Workhorse
Nikolai Golitsyn - Happy Amateur
Prince Lvov - Silent Workhorse
Lavr Kornilov - Old General
Anton Denikin - Old General
Petr Wrangel - Old General
Aleksandr Kerensky - Ambitious Union Boss
V. I. Lenin - Flamboyant Tough Guy

France and the Ottoman Empire:

FRANCE
Head of State:
Raymond Poincaré - Autocratic Charmer
Paul Deschanel - Barking Buffoon
Alexandre Millerand - Die-hard Reformer
Gaston Doumergue - Insignificant Layman
Paul Painlevé - Benevolent Gentleman
Henri-Philippe Pétain - Resigned Generalissimo
Louis Lyautey - Stern Imperialist
Louis Frossard - Die-hard Reformer

Head of Government:
Gaston Doumergue - Happy Amateur
Alexandre Ribot - Silent Workhorse
René Viviani - Happy Amateur
Aristide Briand - Silent Workhorse
Paul Painlevé - Silent Workhorse
Georges Clemenceau - Flamboyant Tough Guy
Alexandre Millerand - Political Protege
Georges Leygues - Ambitious Union Boss
Raymond Poincaré - Flamboyant Tough Guy
Frédéric François-Marsal - Political Protege
Édouard Herriot - Political Protege
Henri-Philippe Pétain - Old General
Ferdinand Foch - Old General
Marcel Cachin - Ambitious Union Boss

OTTOMAN EMPIRE
Head of State:
Mehmed V - Popular Figurehead
Mehmed VI - Insignificant Layman
Mustafa Kemal - Ruthless Powermonger
Mustafa Suphi - Die-hard Reformer

Head of Government:
Said Halim Pasha - Political Protege
Mehmed Talaat Pasha - Backroom Backstabber
Ahmed Izzet Pasha - Old General
Ahmed Tevfik Pasha - Naive Optimist
Damad Adil Ferid Pasha - Naive Optimist
Ali Riza Pasha - Happy Amateur
Salih Pasha - Happy Amateur
Mustafa Ismet - Flamboyant Tough Guy
Mustafa Suphi - Ambitious Union Boss

~~~

Any takers for Italy, Nicaragua or Jebel Shammar?

And shall we handle Austro-Hungarian Heads of Government as previously?

Gordon Freeman said:
Kemal is better off as a Resigned Generalissimo.

I disagree. Kemal rather was a ruthless powermonger as his expansion of Turkey through Anatolia demonstrates. Also, the trait reduces the cost of infantry and militia whilst 'Resigned Generalissimo' increases dissent.

JAPAN
Head of State:
Taisho - Insignificant Layman

Head of Government:
Viscount Yamamoto - Old Admiral
Marquess Okuma - Silent Workhorse
Viscount Terauchi - Old General
Takashi Hara - Happy Amateur
Korekiyo Takahashi - Flamboyant Tough Guy
Tomosaburo Kato - Old Admiral
Viscount Kiyoura - Naive Optimist
Takaaki Kato - Flamboyant Tough Guy

More ministers...

SERBIA
Head of State:
Peter I - Weary Stiffneck

Head of Government:
Nicholas Pasic - Backroom Backstabber
Stojan Protic - Flamboyant Tough Guy
Ljubomir-Ljuba Davidovic - Silent Workhorse
Milenko Vesnic - Political Protege

MONTENEGRO
Head of State:
Nicholas - Stern Imperialist

Head of Government:
Janko Vukotic - Flamboyant Tough Guy
Milo Matanovic - Political Protege
Lazar Mijuskovic - Happy Amateur
Andrija Radovic - Political Protege
Evgenije Popovic - Happy Amateur

hi..just thought i'd give a go with Austria

Heads of state:
Franz Ferdinand : Die Hard Reformer
Franz Josef I : Popular figurehead
Karl I : Benevolent Gentleman
Karl Seitz : Insignificant layman
Michael Hainisch : insignificant layman
Wilhelm Miklas - weary stiffneck

Heads of Govt.
Count Von Bechtold : Backroom backstabber
Baron Istvan Burian : naive optimist
Count Ottokar Czernin : flamboyant tough guy
Karl Renner : silent workhouse
Ignaz Seipel : niave optimist
Ersnt Streeruwitz : silent workhouse
Englebert Dolfuss : flamboyant tough guy
Kurt Schuschnigg : naive optimist

there may be a few missing, and perhaps a few discriptions that could be replaced...but i hope you find these useful.