• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Teutonic_Thrash

Diadochi King
95 Badges
Sep 6, 2011
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Federations
The purpose of this mod is to transform the boring old Duchy of Iceland into a burgeoning merchant republic. Not exactly accurate but it should be fun anyway.

Instructions:
1) Download the mod from the link below.
2) Extract it's files into Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod.
3a) Start the game and on the launcher make sure that Þjóðveldið Ísland is checked.
3b) For the CK2+ compatible version, make sure that this mod, CK2+ and it's optional modules are checked.

View attachment Icelandic Republic v 0.4.zip
View attachment Icelandic Republic CK2+ version v 0.15.zip

Main mod changelog:
Code:
v 0.1 - Initial release
v 0.15 - Bug fixes
       - Localisation for the 'Kingdom' of Iceland and the 'King'
       - Added an Icelandic culture
       - Added more patrician characters
v 0.2 - Bug fixes
        - Added the elusive Svinfellingar family
        - Completed the main character histories
        - Gave each patrician an actual barony
v 0.25 - Added localisation for patricians
          - Added trade posts in Tyrconnell, Tyrone, Ulster, Connacht and Isle of Man
          - Added an Icelandic mercenary band
          - Increased the mercenary hire range, so Iceland has access to more mercenaries
v 0.3 - Updated for patch 1.091
v 0.35 - Fixed localisation bug
v 0.4 - Updated for patch 1.092

CK2+ compatible version changelog:
Code:
v 0.1 - Initial release
v 0.15 - Updated for patch 1.091

CREDITS:
Birdboy2000 for his initial Iceland mod which I used as a base.
jordarkelf, richvh, cybrxkhan and Thure for additional help
Thure for his Icelandic culture

Last edited:
Takk fyrir þetta! (hope that's right)
Trying it now.

Not sure what is happening but I edited the Patrician Gils of Sturlungar with the Ruler Designer, changed his name and some facial features and started a game and it immediately ended with a message telling me my dynasty ended and in the background I can see a message half hidden saying something about my character moving to another court.... odd right?

Also, couple of things I noticed just starting as Gils of Sturlungar without any edits:

- Court is absolutely empty, can't fill any spots since I have zero courtiers
- Searching the realm for wives or even courtiers is also futile, the realm is basically empty with only patricians and their wives and/or newborn children.
- Marriage options are also pretty scarce
- Early (trade)expansion is going to be an absolute pain because even making TP's in Ireland or Scotland, the closest landmasses, is extremely expensive and not that profitable.

Edit 2: I did manage to get married but oddly not through the arrange marriage link but rather by manually searching for a bride in the Search Character screen. Likewise, in order to fill my courts' open spots I had to recruit via the Intrigue - Invite Nobleman event.

Last edited:
Not sure what is happening but I edited the Patrician Gils of Sturlungar with the Ruler Designer, changed his name and some facial features and started a game and it immediately ended with a message telling me my dynasty ended and in the background I can see a message half hidden saying something about my character moving to another court.... odd right?
Known vanilla issue. If you change a patrician in the RD you also change your dynasty ID, so you will no longer match the patrician "barony" dynasty ID and the game assumes you're landless = game over.

Yeah but I do it all the time for other republican dynasties and it never happened.

Do those other dynasties have more holdings? If you do it for a vanilla patrician who is also the city baron somewhere, you do not become unlanded so the game can generate a new patrician barony for you. As far as I can tell it only fails if the patrician has ONLY his family palace holding, since that is deleted by using Ruler Designer.
AFAIK all default patricians have at least one city or county holding alongside their family palace.

If you like it, you could add my Icelandic culture.
Is that the one from CK2+?

Also, couple of things I noticed just starting as Gils of Sturlungar without any edits:

- Court is absolutely empty, can't fill any spots since I have zero courtiers
- Searching the realm for wives or even courtiers is also futile, the realm is basically empty with only patricians and their wives and/or newborn children.
- Marriage options are also pretty scarce
- Early (trade)expansion is going to be an absolute pain because even making TP's in Ireland or Scotland, the closest landmasses, is extremely expensive and not that profitable.
As I said, the mod isn't finished yet but I do aim to fill the Kingdom with characters. For the last point I'll have a look at putting in some more trade posts around Britain just to Iceland a bit of a head start. At the moment though I'm running into some problems which I hope should be fixed easily.

As I said, the mod isn't finished yet but I do aim to fill the Kingdom with characters. For the last point I'll have a look at putting in some more trade posts around Britain just to Iceland a bit of a head start. At the moment though I'm running into some problems which I hope should be fixed easily.

Don't take my comments as negative criticism, I'm only trying to give you input on how it is playing with the mod so it can become even better. :)

Also, some other notes:

- Recruiting mercenaries is absolutely horrible, after 20 years there was only 1 group available for hire and it had zero units.
- assigning a barony to each family would provide a more balanced approach to choosing what family to play as, as it stands non-landed patricians have a really hard time.

Don't take my comments as negative criticism, I'm only trying to give you input on how it is playing with the mod so it can become even better. :)

Also, some other notes:

- Recruiting mercenaries is absolutely horrible, after 20 years there was only 1 group available for hire and it had zero units.
- assigning a barony to each family would provide a more balanced approach to choosing what family to play as, as it stands non-landed patricians have a really hard time.
Don't worry, I'm glad for the feedback. Just to check: are you guys only seeing four families, with a random one appearing within a week? Because it's one of the bugs I'm currently facing.

Yup, happens every single new game, there is a spot empty in the republic and a new random patrician family appears in the first week.
@Jordarkelf: you are right about the bug; it happens all the time with the Gotland patricians because only the doge at the starting date holds territory, all other patricians only have their own "palace".

Last edited:
Sounds like a holder wasn't defined correctly for one of the palace holdings. (I had this happen in my LI update, used the dynasty ID instead of the character ID as holder for one palace.)

Update has been uploaded.
b_svinfellingar and b_vatnsfriroingar appear to use the other's dynasty, but the chars are correctly assigned as far as I can tell so that's just a name issue.
I've fixed that but the problem is still occurring. So unfortunately we'll have to put up with the Svinfellingar family not being there until I work out how to fix it. :(

The problem's in landed_titles... where it's b_svenfellingar, but b_svinfellingar.txt in history/titles and Svinfellingar in common/dynasties/.

@richvh that explains why it works for me, I wrote the entries after the filenames in my own mod.

(edit: posted some more patricians but they're in already)

b_sturlungar.txt is missing its closing bracket

Last edited:
The problem's in landed_titles... where it's b_svenfellingar, but b_svinfellingar.txt in history/titles and Svinfellingar in common/dynasties/.

@richvh that explains why it works for me, I wrote the entries after the filenames in my own mod.

(edit: posted some more patricians but they're in already)

b_sturlungar.txt is missing its closing bracket
PRAISE THE F*****G LORD! Thank you guys, you had no idea how much that was frustrating me! I'll fill in that family with patricians and upload a new update later.

Last edited: