• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

richvh

Preserver of the Light
62 Badges
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
It occurs to me that, while Muslims get to observe Ramadan, pious Christians have no option to observe their most sacred holiday.

No, not Christmas, silly. The year-end feast already sort of simulates that, though without any religious overtones.

Easter, and the 40 day period of personal self-sacrifice leading up to it, Lent.

What I'm thinking is that non-cynical Christians could get a piety + church opinion boost for observing Lent, and the zealous could lose a vice (drunkard, glutton, greedy, etc) or gain a virtue (charitable, chaste etc.)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions for inclusion into the event chain, and costs of the decision?

Download
Lent.zip
Currently just a quick rework of the Ramadan events.

Installation instructions: Unzip to your mod directory (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\crusader kings ii\mod\)
Check "Lent" on the Crusader Kings II launcher to load it into your game.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It occurs to me that, while Muslims get to observe Ramadan, pious Christians have no option to observe their most sacred holiday.

No, not Christmas, silly. The year-end feast already sort of simulates that, though without any religious overtones.

Easter, and the 40 day period of personal self-sacrifice leading up to it, Lent.

What I'm thinking is that non-cynical Christians could get a piety + church opinion boost for observing Lent, and the zealous could lose a vice (drunkard, glutton, greedy, etc) or gain a virtue (charitable, chaste etc.)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions for inclusion into the event chain, and costs of the decision?
This sounds like a good idea. As all the holidays we got from Christianity borrowed from the local feasts and customs cultures already had you might wanna make some of the features culturally dependent. I am sure that people will fill you in on the way they celebrate Easter and how it was done in their region in the past. This is actually one of the reasons I think Paradox did not open this hornets nest as it could not be made general. The way we in Denmark celebrate is vastly different from the way it is done in the UK and we have very similar cultures imagine the difference between the north and south of Europe.
If you are up to the immense work at hand I salute you and hope this gets done properly as it would at a lot of needed flavour.

Well, how do you celebrate in Denmark? I'm American, so most of what I'm familiar with is probably mostly British influenced, and raised Protestant, so not all that familiar with how Catholics celebrate(d) the Lenten season.

I see the basic sequence as Fat Tuesday (for the cynical)/Ash Wednesday (for the pious) -> Lenten events -> (Palm Sunday? Holy week, subsuming Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday & Good Friday?) -> Easter -> (Ascension?)

Well, how do you celebrate in Denmark? I'm American, so most of what I'm familiar with is probably mostly British influenced, and raised Protestant, so not all that familiar with how Catholics celebrate(d) the Lenten season.

I see the basic sequence as Fat Tuesday (for the cynical)/Ash Wednesday (for the pious) -> Lenten events -> (Palm Sunday? Holy week, subsuming Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday & Good Friday?) -> Easter -> (Ascension?)
We do not have fat Tuesday and ash Wednesday for one. We had a month of Lent as Catholics (not as Protestants) but as this is the Cold North a big feast Called Fastelavn followed. We had a barrel and in that goodies and even a Cat and everyone hit the barrel with a bat and the one who knocked the barrel down was king for a day in the village or street or where it was held. This tradition still lives today but without the cat of course. There are lots more And I would have to do some extensive research just for DK alone I know it was different in Sweden I am not sure if Norway was different. And when these traditions were implemented I am not sure. I am not sure Lent was celebrated in 1066 for one.

Decision, or started by event? If by decision, the player has more control on whether to observe Lent; if by event, zealous and cynical can be better factored in to the observation.

Decision, or started by event? If by decision, the player has more control on whether to observe Lent; if by event, zealous and cynical can be better factored in to the observation.
Well Lent (if actually observed already in 1066) happens whether the ruler wants it or not so it should be by event. The choices in the event will then simulate the choices the ruler makes in how he actually celebrates it. (certain traits should give more or less options and so forth.) Again it would be cool if there where cultural differences if you are able to find some when researching.

Well, a quick search reveals that Orthodox Lent lasts longer (they don't count Saturdays or Sundays toward the 40 days of fasting) than Catholic Lent (they count Saturdays but not Sundays), other than that, I wouldn't know where to search.

And observation of Lent dates back at least to the 300s AD.

You don't need to do all this cultural research. Just make the event very general and vague, like "Blah blah blah the time of lent is here, will you observe it?" and then you can make decisions on whether you want to or not.

Rather than try and calculate when it should start or how long itd run for, why not just clone and then localise the Ramadan events? not all of them obviously, but the ones that work and then throw in a couple tempatation yes/nos with the risk of gaining the stress trait balanced with a piety gain or something.

Itd be easier than making the whole thing from scratch at any rate.

For one interesting event, theres a thing [now quite famous as a joke] where until 1215 they pretended that the Barnacle Goose was a fish, as they were born in the atlantic ocean [what we now know as Greenland but at the time people thought it was ocean all the way to India, which was too far for a bird to fly to vis-a-vi it might be born in the sea.]. Now everyone knew it wasnt a fish, but during lent, you pretended it was a fish because during lent youre allowed to eat fish but not birds and it was the only bird you could get away with pretending you mistook for a fish.
So that could make for a good lenten event, you can serve the Goose telling everyone that its really a fish, and gain the approval of your secular courtiers or point out that its clearly a bird and gain some piety and the respect of honest or high-education or something courtiers. something like that.

Last edited:
I was just going to have it start in February or March, as the start is variable depending on the interaction of lunar phases and the solar calendar (thanks to Easter being roughly synchronized to Passover, which is set by a lunar calendar with corrections to roughly coordinate it with the solar year.) At that, the start is more consistent than Ramadan, which is based on an uncorrected lunar calendar.

If I clone Ramadan, then it definitely starts with a decision.

First stab at the Lent events, just a quick rework of Ramadan. English localization only. The only event I dropped was one for giving gifts to multiple wives. Let me know of any glitches I missed, any localizations that need to be polished to sound more Christian, any additional events you think should be added.

Should be compatible with anything.

Lent.zip

Caught a few glitches (should have run it through Validator before uploading, not after.) If you downloaded it in the past half hour, redownload it (same link.)

Updated the zip. Still needs work, seems to always crash during lent, and I have no idea why.

Fixed the crash bug, seems the namespace event id lent.2 caused a consistent crash to desktop. Download link updated.

Event list:
lent.0 Starts the Lenten season
lent.1 Free prisoner event
lent.16 (renamed from lent.2 which causes a crash) Give to charity event
lent.3 Pray
lent.4 Become ill due to fasting (can abort fast or continue)
lent.5 Become infirm due to fasting (aborts fast)
lent.6 gain temperate
lent.7 gain charitable
lent.8 war interrupts fast
lent.9 illness (not from fasting) interrupts fast (aborts fast)
lent.10 Hold Easter feast
lent.11 Invite vassal to feast
lent.12 Vassal refuses invitation
lent.13 Host is told of feast
lent.14 Vassal is told of feast
lent.15 Gift for wife
(lent.16 was gift for multiple wives in Ramadan, event deleted and ID reused for buggy lent.2)
lent.17 Sin of gluttony
lent.18 Sin of lust/hedonism
lent.19 Sin of drunkenness
lent.20 Sin of greed
lent.21 Sin of cynicism
lent.22 End of Lent

I haven't tested all of these, so let me know if you see any CTDs and try to note which event was displayed when it happened. Also suggestions for polishing event text (I'm thinking of revising the prisoner release one to mention Pilate) and any additions or deletions (I'm leery of the gift for wife one, for instance, and could add the Barnacle Goose one Orinsul suggested, and additional vice/virtue events, also events for loss of a vice.)

Just tested this old mini-mod out and it still works. I updated the event and localization files from the ones in Lux Invicta (minor changes, plus addition of the Barnacle Goose event.) If I can figure out how, I might upload it to the steam workshop.

Not every day you see a mod come back after 2 years.

It is a nice idea that is something you'd expect for a game in the medieval period. I'll try it when I'm finished my pre-rajas game. Subbed for now.

Hey, God of Mods!

Can I incorporate this into my Schisms & Heresies mod?