• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Meneth

Crusader Kings 3 Programmer
153 Badges
Feb 9, 2011
www.paradoxwikis.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
By request, here's my mini-mod making the Ethiopians more likely to survive.
This is achieved by making holy wars impossible against Monophysites (and vice versa). Monophysitism is also no longer a heresy, so it won't spread in Ortodox lands.
Simply unzip the file into your mod folder to install it.

Do note that most CBs have their truces set to 5 rather than 10 years as that's what I play with, and the CB file is needed for this mini-mod. If anyone wants it I'll release a 10-year truce version.

Attachments

• ethsurvival.7z
    5,4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Yeah, something like this is needed. Once reminded of this issue via this I added these conditions to the Casus Belli:

Code:
			NOT = {
				AND = {
					OR = {
						religion = monophysite
						religion = orthodox
					}
					culture = ethiopian
				}
			}

That way, as long as the Ethiopians aren't converts, the region is safe, but at the same time not having to remove it as a heresy. Could there be any issues with that?

Yeah, something like this is needed. Once reminded of this issue via this I added these conditions to the Casus Belli:

Code:
            NOT = {
                AND = {
                    OR = {
                        religion = monophysite
                        religion = orthodox
                    }
                    culture = ethiopian
                }
            }

That way, as long as the Ethiopians aren't converts, the region is safe, but at the same time not having to remove it as a heresy. Could there be any issues with that?
The only problem I can see, is if the rulers change culture, which is relatively common in Europe at least, though I'm not sure how common it is in Ethiopia.
While someone of a different culture occasionally ends up as a child's guardian, I've almost never seen anyone of a different religion as a guardian, so as such making it depend on monophysite alone is likely more secure.

Why not just standardize them as Orthodox? I believe Monophysitism was dying out in favor of Orthodox by this time anyway.

I recommend a quick perusal of wikipedia's entries on the Ethiopian church.

Hum that doesn't seems right... Why not just powerup the ethiopian/nubian holdings by adding towns, or castle ?

Historically, there was far less enmity between Muslims and Ethiopian Christians. Ethiopian kings had long been tolerant of Islam, and even welcomed some of the first converts fleeing from persecution in Mecca. Removing holy wars against them is actually the historically accurate thing to do.

Besides, without new systems put in place to truly model how difficult it is to invade a place like the Ethiopian highlands, no amount of holdings would make them strong enough to resist the Fatimids or Seljuks. Remember, even the HRE has a hard time keeping them out of Italy post-SoI.

Why not just standardize them as Orthodox? I believe Monophysitism was dying out in favor of Orthodox by this time anyway.

Orthodox is a convenient term used for virtually all well established foreign (from the PoV of Catholicism) versions of Christianity. It does not fundamentally imply any theological or political unity between different groups with the label. Monophysitism is the theological cause of the schism between Coptic Christianity and the rest of Christianity (which actually occurred centuries before the more famous East-West schism), hence the name of Ethiopian Christianity, which is a branch of Coptic Christianity, in game.

In fact, the most accurate way of handling this is to make an independent Coptic/Oriental Orthodox religion in the Christian group. Because there was less enmity between the various non-Catholic, non-"normal" Orthodox Christians, it may even be better to switch Nestorianism to a Coptic/Oriental heresy. I don't know what the OP ultimately went with, but if not this, I highly urge him to consider it.

Orthodox is a convenient term used for virtually all well established foreign (from the PoV of Catholicism) versions of Christianity. It does not fundamentally imply any theological or political unity between different groups with the label. Monophysitism is the theological cause of the schism between Coptic Christianity and the rest of Christianity (which actually occurred centuries before the more famous East-West schism), hence the name of Ethiopian Christianity, which is a branch of Coptic Christianity, in game.

In fact, the most accurate way of handling this is to make an independent Coptic/Oriental Orthodox religion in the Christian group. Because there was less enmity between the various non-Catholic, non-"normal" Orthodox Christians, it may even be better to switch Nestorianism to a Coptic/Oriental heresy. I don't know what the OP ultimately went with, but if not this, I highly urge him to consider it.
Monophysite/Coptic is an independent religion in the Christian group in the mod.

Coptic and Oriental Orthodox are very different; Copts are basically Monophysites, while Oriental Orthodox is basically Nestorian.

Coptic and Oriental Orthodox are very different; Copts are basically Monophysites, while Oriental Orthodox is basically Nestorian.

No?
The Oriental Orthodoxism as a blanket term is basically monophysitism, Nestorian is the "eastern church", the form of christianity you're more likely to encounter in Syria for example. Perhaps that is what's confusing you? Eastern and Oriental?

Either way, the Coptic Church (which is Oriental Orthodoxism basically), centered in Alexandria/later Cairo, was the religious authority for christians in Egypt, Nubia and Ethiopia during the time period, albeit one that was somewhat subserviant to the Fatimid Caliphate during the CK2 time period.

Also, mubcrab was basically right in his post :ninja:

*edit*
Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and of All Africa is the official name for the Coptic Church.

I am very interested.

A now I see it... Still interested?

The character file

The title file

There is the file with the Coptic popes. I use the greek names for this. This are circa 80 characters.

The part in the landed_titles:

Code:
k_coptic = {
	color={ 255 204 4 }
	color2={ 220 220 0 }

capital = 796 # Kairo

title = "POPE"
	foa = "POPE_FOA"
	short_name = yes
	location_ruler_title = yes

# Always exists
	landless = yes

# Controls a religion
	controls_religion = coptic

# Cannot be held as a secondary title
	primary = yes

# Regnal names
	male_names = {
		Abílios Abraám Achillás Agáthon Agrippínos Aléxandros Anastásios Andrónikos Anianós Apollinários 
		Athanásios Beniamín Christódoulos Damianós Demétrios Dionýsios Dióskoros Dorótheos Euménes Gabriél 
		Gáinas Geórgios	Gregórios Héraklas Iákobos Ioánnes Ioséf Ioulianós Ioústos Isaák Kédron Keladíon
		Kosmás Kýrillos Loúkios Makários Markianós Márkos Matthaíos Máximos Michaél Ménas Pachómios Páulos Pétros
		Philótheos Pistós Prímos Protérios Schenoúda Symeón Theonás Theodósios Theóphilos Timótheos Zacharías
		Zoílos
	}
}

The religion:
Code:
	coptic = {
		graphical_culture = westerngfx

icon = 2
		color = { 0.7 0.0 0 }

crusade_name = "CRUSADE"
		scripture_name = THE_BIBLE

god_names = {
			GOD_GOD GOD_THE_LORD GOD_JESUS GOD_THE_BLESSED_VIRGIN
		}

investiture = yes
		can_excommunicate = yes
		can_grant_divorce = no
		can_grant_invasion_cb = invasion
		can_grant_claim = yes
		can_call_crusade = no
	}

And if you want a culture... (I have put them in the eastern_african group):
Code:
	copt = {
		graphical_culture = africangfx

color = { 0.8 0.4 0.4 }

male_names = {
			Aaron_Aaron Abanoub Abderahman_Abderrahman Abianos_Abijah Abisalom Ablarion Abraam_Abraham Agathon_Agathos Agathonikos_Agathonikos Agathos_Agathos
			Androus_Andrew Anthinos_Anthimos Arsenios_Arsenios Ashraf_Ashraf Athanasios_Athanasius Biktor_Victor Binyamin_Benjamin Bishoi_Bishara Boutros_Peter
			Danyal_Daniel Da’oud_David Ezra_Ezra Gabri’el_Gabriel Georgios_George Habil_Abel Hanri_Henry Haroun_Aaron Ilyas_Elijah Jerjer_Gregory 
			Krystafer_Christopher Lot_Lothar Matta_Matthew Mikail_Michael Mikhael_Michael Milad_Milad Mina_Menas Musa_Moses Pamin Tadros_Theodore Touma_Thomas
			Yared Youssef_Joseph Zaia_Isaiah
		}
		female_names = {
			Demiana Elpis_Hope Hannah_Anna Hawwa_Eve Ilizabith_Elizabeth Kasrin_Catherine Kristina_Christine Mariam_Maria Marta_Martha Maysoon_Maysoon Paisi
			Piama Piamun Potamina Samia_Samira Sofia_Sofia Talida_Taliba Virina_Veronica
		}
		from_dynasty_prefix = " "

modifier = default_culture_modifier
	}

If you use this... Change the "ethiopian" in the character history with "copt".