• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Meneth

Crusader Kings 3 Programmer
153 Badges
Feb 9, 2011
www.paradoxwikis.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
As I dislike that culture cannot spread to islands, I made a small mod that lets coastal provinces gain the culture of their liege. This takes 50% longer on average than if it were bordering a province with the culture.
In addition, all coastal provinces can culture change 25% faster. The rationale is that ports increase exposure to new culture.
I'm not sure yet how balanced this is yet, but I'll modify it if I notice it unbalance anything.

Just unzip the file to your mod-directory and enable the mod. Should be compatible with any mod that doesn't modify events.

Attachments

• coastalculture.7z
    1,2 KB · Views: 673
Last edited:
I also dislike the fact that culture cannot spread across islands. After all look at how far English culture spread across the world (yes I know that didn't happen until much later). My point being is that culture can spread through exposure which does not necessarily require land.

Thanks for the mod Meneth, now my Irish Empire can expand further!

Fixed an issue making it not work.
It now uses the broken "bring in some settlers" events instead, firing thus as a separate event for cities with ports. MTTH is 1800 (as compared to the other event's MTTH of 1200 months), and all the modifiers are the same, except not giving mongols an advantage any more.

I think there's an event that can kick off which turns island-provinces into your culture. At least, I had one as duke of Apulia once. Norman culture spread into Sicily through an event I recieved. :p Maybe the event isn't just island related, or you may not even consider Sicily an island in the game, heh.

I'll give this mod a try, anyways. Seems interesting. ^^

I think there's an event that can kick off which turns island-provinces into your culture. At least, I had one as duke of Apulia once. Norman culture spread into Sicily through an event I recieved. :p Maybe the event isn't just island related, or you may not even consider Sicily an island in the game, heh.

I'll give this mod a try, anyways. Seems interesting. ^^
There's one event that can get culture to unconnected provinces, but it can only fire if the province is of another culture group. As such, the event is very large.
Sicily has a strait over to mainland Italy, so culture can spread through that.

Hi, love the mod.

Is this mod checked against 1.05c? Ever since I upgraded, if I play unmodded I don't get crashes, if I play with mods on (I only use 3 mods - this and 2 others) I get a freeze crash every now and then.

I am absolutely not saying there's a problem with the mod, just seeing if there are any known issues so I can identify which mod(s) to turn off. Thanks!

Ben

I also dislike the fact that culture cannot spread across islands. After all look at how far English culture spread across the world (yes I know that didn't happen until much later). My point being is that culture can spread through exposure which does not necessarily require land.

Thanks for the mod Meneth, now my Irish Empire can expand further!

There's definitely a historic basis for the spread of culture across the water in this time period. Just look at the Norman/French culture spread into England during this time period. Hell, half of our language comes from or is influenced by France because of William the Bastard.

There's definitely a historic basis for the spread of culture across the water in this time period. Just look at the Norman/French culture spread into England during this time period. Hell, half of our language comes from or is influenced by France because of William the Bastard.

There's one event that can get culture to unconnected provinces, but it can only fire if the province is of another culture group. As such, the event is very large.
Sicily has a strait over to mainland Italy, so culture can spread through that.

Is that already possible for Sicily in the vanilla game (most of my games were in continental Europe)? Even conversion of coastal regions is limited by distance, for instance Wales becoming Irish would make more sense (or should take much less time) than Sicily becoming Irish. Back in CK 1 there were trade routes through which cultures could spread. It's a good mod though.

Validator complains about the use of any_neighbor_province in the MTTH modifier section of event 55000:
At <mod>\events\province_events.txt [character_event[1]\mean_time_to_happen\modifier[1]\NOT (Line 30, Column 4):
Invalid node "any_neighbor_province" in scope CharTrigger (value is: <a complex type>)