• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I tried it out and had an excellent time! The new buildings really add to the game.

Like you said, most of the new buildings are under powered but under powered is much better than most cultures having nothing in the base game.

Great Work!

Thanks for the positive feedback! If you have any suggestions on balance please let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Appallingly noobish question, but how exactly does one install this mod?

Where and what specifically am I unzipping?

The file that you download is a zipped file with 2 items inside, a folder and a .mod file. Extract (unzip and move) the two items inside the .zip file to the /mod folder inside your Crusader Kings II library, wherever it is installed.

The path should look like this \crusader kings ii\mod
And inside should be the Culture Buildings folder and Culture Buildings.mod file that you downloaded.

Hello, very interesting, could you add screens to the intro post? :)

Wheres Persians?

Thanks for putting this out there, Izual -- good stuff.

Question for you: did you have a lot of difficulty finding good information on medieval Scandinavian fortifications? I ask because I'm considering adding a culture-specific building to my recent Iceland mod, which added Icelandic to the North Germanic group (among other things), and I noticed that you had "Housecarl Barracks" for the North Germanic group but weren't particularly happy with it.

Unfortunately, it seems that most of what survives in Iceland from the era are earthen longhouses; apparently, stone buildings (which I have to assume would have been, for military installations, a matter of course) don't fare well against the elements over the centuries. I liked the general idea of the Danish trelleborgs, but it seems that the Norwegian refugees who settled Iceland fled Norway in the late-ninth/early-tenth century, decades before the trelleborgs were built.

My attempts to translate the concept of "earthen barracks," or something similar, into Icelandic have not gone terribly well. (Google Translate and Wiktionary can only take one so far.) It seems you've done your research when it comes to cultural buildings -- do you have any leads I can follow, or other suggestions for me? Thanks for your time.

Question for you: did you have a lot of difficulty finding good information on medieval Scandinavian fortifications? I ask because I'm considering adding a culture-specific building to my recent Iceland mod, which added Icelandic to the North Germanic group (among other things), and I noticed that you had "Housecarl Barracks" for the North Germanic group but weren't particularly happy with it.

Unfortunately, it seems that most of what survives in Iceland from the era are earthen longhouses; apparently, stone buildings (which I have to assume would have been, for military installations, a matter of course) don't fare well against the elements over the centuries. I liked the general idea of the Danish trelleborgs, but it seems that the Norwegian refugees who settled Iceland fled Norway in the late-ninth/early-tenth century, decades before the trelleborgs were built.

My attempts to translate the concept of "earthen barracks," or something similar, into Icelandic have not gone terribly well. (Google Translate and Wiktionary can only take one so far.) It seems you've done your research when it comes to cultural buildings -- do you have any leads I can follow, or other suggestions for me? Thanks for your time.

I'm glad you noticed my footnotes in the mod :)

As for Scandinavian military history, I focused my research mainly on Viking as well as the struggle from Pagan to Catholic era. Now as for my situation, I was more focused on soldier types as opposed to actual architecture used during that time period. As for the research methods I used, Wikipedia has some decent information, even if you Google search there are some online history text books that have some useful things if you sift through the wordiness. Also for a few of these I used Medieval Total War 2 online unit wiki's to help. The vanilla game as well as various mods of the game have some detailed information on soldiers used during that time period.

If you would like some help with the research, I should be available later this week. Good luck with what you find!

Well, all points that Norwegians/Danes/Swedes had some regular contact with the Icelandics, but there almost no records of that as Iceland is extremely barren and why would someone take the time to learn to read and write (remember, Middle Ages, reading is harrrd) when they barely survive? Those earthen longhouses you have found are pointing at Scandinavian influence, but maybe i am just building a castle over sand.

And why translating it into Icelandic? Arent all unique buildings in this game named with English?

I can help translate in German if you need someone still for that.

EDIT: I am doing it right now :p

For slave quarters, do you mean quarters as in where they sleep, or as in a district like the slave quarter?

Last edited:
I am already working on it :p

You must have missed my question from before (probably because I edited it in much later):

For slave quarters, do you mean quarters as in where they sleep and rest, or as in a district like the slave quarter in a city?

I am already working on it :p

You must have missed my question from before (probably because I edited it in much later):

More so of where they sleep and rest. From my research (I assume this is for the West African cultures) they tended to use native Africans slaves as parts of their army. It would be similar to how the Mamluks were except without the prestige and freedoms.

oops, made a mistake on the first 4 lines, just replace that with this:

Code:
ca_culture_ethiopian_1;Small Tribal Training Ground;Small Tribal Training Ground;Kleines Stammübungsplätze;;Small Tribal Training Ground;;;;;;;;;x
ca_culture_ethiopian_2;Tribal Training Ground;Tribal Training Ground;Stammübungsplätze;;Tribal Training Ground;;;;;;;;;x
ca_culture_ethiopian_3;Large Tribal Training Ground;Large Tribal Training Ground;Große Stammübungsplätze;;Large Tribal Training Ground;;;;;;;;;x
ca_culture_ethiopian_4;Great Tribal Training Ground;Great Tribal Training Ground;Großartige Stammübungsplätze;;Great Tribal Training Ground;;;;;;;;;x

If you ever need more translation etc. feel free to PM me :)

Regardless of whether it's 'obsoleted' or not, it makes me very happy. :) Thank you for the time + effort!