• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zaldax

Captain
36 Badges
Mar 12, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
Folks, are you;

Frustrated by a Kingdom of Sicily which remains Italian, Greek, Maghreb Arabic, and sometimes even turns Norman(!) in your games?

Wondering why they even bothered making Sicily its own de jure Kingdom if it has no unique culture?

Finding yourself wanting more unique cultures to be represented in the game?

Then you're in luck, because I'm about to make you....

"An Offer You Can't Refuse"

ck2_12.jpg

This mini-mod adds a melting pot Sicilian culture to the game, which starts spreading around 1150 if Sicily is ruled by a Norman, Greek, or Maghreb Arabic ruler. Separate cultures (all called "Sicilian" in game), will form in each, meaning a total of three possible melting pot cultures: (Sicilian, Sicilian Arabic, and Sicilian Greek. Again, all are called "Sicilian" in game, but only 1 of the 3 will form.)

DOWNLOAD LINK -- Version 2.0

FUTURE PLANS
--> Not sure yet! I might add some flavor events at some point soon, or improve the War of Sicilian Vespers event chain. In any case, the original purpose of this minimod had been fulfilled!

AOYCR has been integrated into a LOT of mods at this point (I've honestly lost track of all of them.) Furthermore, I'm pretty bad about checking this thread and my inbox on a regular basis, and sometimes will miss a message asking to integrate the mod for weeks at a time. Therefore, consider this blanket permission to integrate whatever aspects of AOYCR into your mod you'd like -- no need to ask me first! It's enough to just throw me a credit somewhere; it's kind of cool to see where my mod is in use.

I do plan on revisiting this at some point in the future, by the way. Just not sure when.

Last edited:
Brilliant work on the mod. I'm only disappointed PI didn't include more such events for cultural areas in the vanilla game (England got the event, I'm sure others deserve it as well).

Thanks!

Guess what everyone? VERSION 2.0 is up! This means that the previously mentioned "Future Plans" have been officially implemented; A different version of Sicilian will spread via event if Sicily is ruled by a Norman, Greek, or Maghreb Arabic ruler!

I might add some more flavor events or event chains (War of the Sicilian Vespers doesn't get much love. :( ) to this mod later, but the original purpose of this minimod has officially been accomplished! In any case, any additions will be made in a separate upload file, in case you only want Sicilian culture.

Last edited:
Does this work with Ck2plus?

Does this work with Ck2plus?

I haven't specifically formatted it to do so, but making this mod compatible with any other mod is very simple: All you need to do is the following;

1. Download the mod!
2. Copy the localisation file "TerraNorm Sicilian" into the localisation folder of the desired mod.
3. Go back to the "AOYCR -- Sicily" folder, and open Dynasties.txt and Cultures.txt.
4. Copy and paste Dynasties 1000001106-1000001136 into the Dynasties.txt file of the desired mod (anywhere will do.)
5. In AOYCR's Cultures.txt, copy the following 3 cultures: Sicilian (Latin group), Sicilian_greek (Byzantine group), Sicilian_arabic (Arabic group).
5.5. Paste those cultures into the desired mod's Cultures.txt. file.
6. Copy the file "Sicilian_culture.txt" into the events folder of the desired mod.
and 7. (optional, only if you want to play with a start date beyond 1150) Copy-paste the "History" folder of "AOYCR-Sicily" into the history folder of the desired mod. This will change the province history files of Southern Italy so as to change to Sicilian culture over time.

Looks like a lot, but it really only takes about 5 minutes to make this mod compatible with anything!

(And now that I've told you all how to do it, feel free to integrate this into whatever mod you desire!)

Last edited:
Does this event only fire if the King of Sicily is the primary title/only title?

Like in my game now I am the (Croatian culture) King of Croatia and Sicily and I'm wondering how this would effect this game it if i were to download it.

Does this event only fire if the King of Sicily is the primary title/only title?

Like in my game now I am the (Croatian culture) King of Croatia and Sicily and I'm wondering how this would effect this game it if i were to download it.

Yep. You've got to be the King of Sicily (and, of course, you need to hold a province somewhere within the de jure kingdom within your personal demense) as well as have either Norman, Greek, or Maghreb Arabic as your ruler's culture.

As of now, a Sicilian culture will only form if your ruler is Norman, Greek, or Maghreb Arabic; this represents the 3 most probable cultural mixes. If you want me to create a Croatian-Sicilian mix for you, I can do that pretty quickly, although I'll probably just put it up as an optional download rather than incorporate it into the main mod.

Of course, if you wanted this event chain to fire regardless of your ruler's culture, and just create a default "Sicilian" culture, that's also easy to do -- I could create a version of that in around 20 minutes, tops.

Can I use your mod in a mod i'm working on as long as I give you credit for what I use?

Absolutely!

Not a bad idea at all. I have yet to test it out, but the way you handled it sounds intriguing enough.

I had felt the need for a Sicilian culture was evident also, but what I had done with my own mod (which I haven't released on here) was copy the English events and replace references to Saxon to replaces to Maghreb Arabic, and English to Sicilian. I figured the easier the better.

From how I understand it, with your mod, rule by the Normans will get modern Sicilian culture, Greek rulers will get the old Sicilian Greek culture, and Maghreb Arab rulers will get Siculo-Arabic culture?

Not a bad idea at all. I have yet to test it out, but the way you handled it sounds intriguing enough.

I had felt the need for a Sicilian culture was evident also, but what I had done with my own mod (which I haven't released on here) was copy the English events and replace references to Saxon to replaces to Maghreb Arabic, and English to Sicilian. I figured the easier the better.

From how I understand it, with your mod, rule by the Normans will get modern Sicilian culture, Greek rulers will get the old Sicilian Greek culture, and Maghreb Arab rulers will get Siculo-Arabic culture?

You're 100% correct! While all 3 separate cultures are localized as "Sicilian", the appearance, name lists, and culture groups for each vary. This way, for example, you won't have a Sicilian cultured character with the name "Roger" if the culture formed under a Maghreb Arabic ruler. Since all 3 versions of Sicilian are in different culture groups, they also use different graphics files and the like -- so a Sicilian (greek) will look different than a Sicilian (default, or Norman) and a Sicilian (arabic).

Sorry, I hope that explanation isn't too confusing! I promise, it all works out rather simply enough, but the end result is a Sicilian culture that's really dynamic: depending on who successfully gains control of the Kingdom, the culture that spreads will be /noticeably/ different.

So your just plain "Sicilian" culture is the Sicilian language (ex Ruggeru) or Siculo-Norman (ex Roger)?

So your just plain "Sicilian" culture is the Sicilian language (ex Ruggeru) or Siculo-Norman (ex Roger)?

If anything, it's more of Siculo-Norman in terms of the names used -- I don't actually speak Sicilian (although I've a decent grasp of Italian), but only know bits and pieces of it, so I there isn't a full localization for the Sicilian culture. For all intents and purposes, the name list/appearance for the default "Sicilian" is closer to what it is today than the others.

Honestly, the easiest way to understand the 3 variations of Sicilian is to just check the cultures.txt file of the mod. :D

Last edited:
Gotcha, so our mods aren't the same after all then.

Mine is the actual Sicilian language as spoken by the natives, rather than Siculo-Norman, Siculo-Greek, and Siculo-Arabic. What you do offer, though, is a lot more selection, and that does sound like it'll make the game fun. :D

I hope Apulia players (and there seems to be a lot of them!) download your mod, as well as mine when I decide to make it available to the public.

Actually, I think my last response was a tad misleading -- sorry about that!

What I meant was, back at the time what we've been referring to as "Siculo-Norman" pretty much was the culture that actually ended up forming. The reason I didn't use more modern Sicilian words, etc. is because modern Sicilian has a few more influences than the options presented (namely, German (a little) and Spanish (a good bit!))

However, the Sicilian that's included as the default has by far the largest number of traditional Sicilian names included. So there is that. Bottom line is, if the Normans are the ones to rule the Kingdom of Sicily, the culture that forms is most definitely going to be recognizable as Sicilian more than anything else.

If you've suggestions of things to incorperate, by all means though PLEASE give them! I'm definitely open to adding things to this, provided that it makes sense from a historical standpoint to do so.

(I guess the moral of this story is, the next time someone asks me a question about linguistics, rather than fall over myself trying to explain what I've done, I should just post the entry from "Cultures.txt." and let the code speak for itself.)

ALSO, modder's note: Anyone else kind of annoyed that an "English" culture forms when the Normans win, but the Norwegians don't get any such thing? Rest assured, I'm correcting that. Upload coming soon. :cool:

Last edited: