• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A good move. They will also be crucial for those tough breakthrough battles if you are one day able to swing onto the offensive (need the Soviets to join in preferably).
Building Heavy tank brigades is a painful decision. France's Heavy tanks were available only in the summer of 1942, and the related techs are 1938. To bring them up to date I will have to continuously block 4 LP points, which will cost France in doctrines, and in the development of Light tanks.

French Leadership is 20,56, half of the German one (42), and 2/3 of the Soviet one(30+).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Still, they’re a good niche capability to have, even though also very costly to produce. They probably only need to be developed to the extent that they outmatch the German medium panzers in armour and piercing and have armour proof against German AT/TD guns if you want to economise a bit on the research, rather than having to match the German Tigers.

For speed, they probably only need to keep pace with leg infantry, if that’s what you’re using them as (infantry support tanks).

Reactions:
On the Western Front, speed isn't as important because of the terrain and rivers. As France, if you aren't planning on extending the maginot line, you need heavy tanks.

I am confused why you didn't transfer troops over to Poland the moment they joined the Allies. The German-Polish border is longer, has more plains, and forces the Germans are on a two-front war. Letting Germany gain control of Poland is a strategic blunder.

Edit: Keep Norway in the war, because Germany might send troops there and weaken their strength in Germany itself. Also, I suggest you send about 8 divisions to Denmark to capture it. You won't be able to advance past the river that borders Germany and Denmark, but at least Germany will move troops to that border. In addition, you can then use the airfield in Copenhagen to attack German airfields. Limit the ability of the Germans to keep spare fighters and bombers in the rear.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I am confused why you didn't transfer troops over to Poland the moment they joined the Allies. The German-Polish border is longer, has more plains, and forces the Germans are on a two-front war. Letting Germany gain control of Poland is a strategic blunder.
For once, it didn't occur to me to do that. Secondly, I would have been afraid I barely had enough troops to stop the Nazi flood in France proper.

I've seen in your French AAR that you're an innovative player. Not bad at all. I will try that tactic in a future game, because I am curious if it works.

Norway will receive a special chapter in my next contribution to this AAR. Norway was a big surprise to me, and it will surely be for my readers as well.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
For once, it didn't occur to me to do that. Secondly, I would have been afraid I barely had enough troops to stop the Nazi flood in France proper.

I've seen in your French AAR that you're an innovative player. Not bad at all. I will try that tactic in a future game, because I am curious if it works.

Norway will receive a special chapter in my next contribution to this AAR. Norway was a big surprise to me, and it will surely be for my readers as well.
Understandable. I did it as the UK, but I haven't tried it as France. It would be interesting to see where things go.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Ireland learns French

During the March-April German offensive Great Britain was insisting on the Irish problem, fearing an imminent invasion of Northern Ireland. Few days after the German offensive failed, France became convinced to take action in exchange for the British accepting French administration over Ireland as long as the war with the Nazis continues. The main headache for the Allies was that Germany influenced diplomatically and ideologically intensively Ireland, and Ireland was continuously sliding towards the Axis. The French government originally intended to wait with initiating such overseas actions until the first French Marine division will be operational. However, the Allies don't have the luxury of time. Those marines would only be available in September or October.
On the 4th of May 1942 France sent an expeditionary force of 5 infantry divisions to and declared war on Ireland. Originally the expeditionary force entailed a Light Armoured division, but it was concluded that tanks are inappropriate for amphibious assaults, and they could also burden the vulnerable and limited supply lines in the first debarking days. The French troops avoided direct contact with the enemy and successfully landed with little resistance on 10 May 1942 around the two ports in Southern Ireland. The 2 French CAGs wings in our first fleet have protected our troops from the Irish Air force and undertook bombing missions whenever possible. The CAGs were not terribly effective against land units, but they did demoralize the enemy. British Air groups also intervened in the second phase of the battle.

In two weeks all the strategic points in Ireland were conquered and the country capitulated on the 25 May 1942.

The Brits managed to take 4 Provinces, including Dublin, the capital. They retreated after that though from former Ireland as convened with the French.

P.S.: France needed Dublin at any cost because without it you get almost nothing in terms of MP, LP etc. Originally I wanted to let the Brits the conquered provinces, except Dublin, but the AI starting placing infantry divisions in every single province in order to counter rebell movements. I found that to be so detrimental to the Allies, that I decided to give by console all those Irish provinces to France.

Despite annexing Ireland completely, France got a mere 0,10 LP! The desperate need increase Leadership drew me game technically to invade Ireland, but that was a terrible disappointment. It is a complete waste of time to DOW Ireland and take additional Threat from that.

Ireland Annexed on 10 May 1942
05.42 IRL Conquered.png

The Norwegian Debacle

End of July 1942 the French military and navy, emboldened by the Irish success, began the campaign to free Norway from the Nazi occupation.

Our troops landed first in the capital Oslo defeating a single paratroopers division. After that, our divisions marched in all directions to free province after province. I Western Norway we found mostly HQ units, which made us think this campaign is really easy. The French troops managed to capture those lost paratroopers as well.

Then, things started to change. The German Navy tried desperately to land new divisions over the Baltic Sea, but the first French Navy has defeated them. We were surprised how well the enemy navy recovered after the 1939 sea defeats. In central Norway we found two well trained German divisions making a good stand in the mountains. And our avantgarde has seen a German division traversing Sweden towards Norway. The French HQ decided to increase the pressure on the enemy by bringing one TAC bombers group in Oslo.

Our poor TAC group met twice Interceptors, once on the German territory, and the second time over the Baltics. The Luftwaffe has absolutely shredded our bombers, being happy to have escaped alive under the protection of the FTR wing. The damaged bombers where no good and had to be retreated via Holland, despite fearing of a new hostile encounter. This aerial fiasco did have it's merit. Our bombers have spotted not just one enemy division coming via Denmark and Sweden but lots of them. The Germans even sent an Armoured division, which could act well in the southern Norwegian plains.

As that hadn't been enough, Germans learned the lesson and sent their own bombers to make our troops' life hell. Then we sent our own INT in Oslo to protect out land army. That caused a strong counterreaction, and soon the Interceptors of both sides brutally engaged over the Norwegian sky. Our first INT group was soon sent back to France, and replaced because the Nazis gave our troops no rest.

On land, the German divisions started to push hard against the Allied forces, from multiple directions. Our most northern division was almost surrounded in an instance, and only the timely intervention of other two divisions have saved it from being captured. At the beginning of September we send the fresh Marines in Oslo and installed there a radar to help the Interceptors. Then German Naval Bombers started to bomb our Navy, forcing me to retreat it to Calais. Our CAGs forces have been long ago sent to French airports after bruising fights with the enemy Interceptors. In the end, we did

Irrespective of our efforts the French troops had to retreat province by province behind rivers, preparing a last defence perimeter around Oslo. The question arose, if it wouldn't be wise to simply retreat out of Norway as long as this is still possible. If we insist on keeping Oslo, and lose the defensive war, all French troops risk being annihilated. On 10 October 1942 things look bleak for the French forces.

Norwegian defeat?
10.10.42 NOR Question.png

10.42 NOR 2.png

The really unsettling thing was the disclosures made by the Polish resistance to our secret services. Germany had simply used most of her divisions at the Eastern border to expel France from Norway. Should the Soviet Union suddenly declare war on Nazi Germany, the Russians could roll right through Berlin, leaving the Allies exposed to a much more powerful hostile power.

Undefended Soviet-German Borders
10.42 GER-SOV Border.png

Considerations on the Norwegian Episode

Dear readers, the Norwegian campaign turned sour for a series of grounds. The possible French defeat is not a relevant issue for me, but the ahistoricity of how the Norwegian event unfolded.

My motivation for going in Norway was to increase the LP, like in Ireland. Just taking Oslo gave me a very welcome boost of over 1,0 LP. From 20,56´LP France went to 20,68 with Ireland, and to almost 22 LP. The MP gain from the two campaigns are negligible, but it's not important.

On the bad side are several aspects:
1) Germany has lost around 10 divisions during the Naval battles with the French.
2) In order to keep Norway, Germany has practically deserted the Eastern borders.
3) All the troops lost on the sea and sent via Denmark-Sweden to the Norwegian theatre have been taken from the Polish border, which would be utterly ahistorical.
4) Before the 1 August 1942, when the French landing in Oslo began, Germany had gathered a solid military presence on the Soviet borders.

This means, the two fronts war would have been very interesting and historically plausible. My Norway campaign would irremediably compromise a German Eastern defence, given the 10 drowned divisions, even if the French would retreat immediately and Germany would bring her troops back on the Polish positions. The German AI reacted in a too extensive manner.

Given, I intended from the very beginning of this AAR to offer a realistic French campaign, I am inclining towards aborting the Norwegian mission altogether and start over from 1 August 1942, right before the landing.

What we all knew, has become a certitude. The AI can hardly control 2 frontlines, and it fails badly with the third. For historical realism, it would be better to not cause a third frontline, since the AI can't handle it.

Also, my expectation is that, in the case of a prolonged German-French stalemate, the Soviet Union would have had eventually attacked Nazi Germany, and eventually the Allies shortly after, given the expansionistic nature of the the Russian state and the internationalist revolutionary Communist ideology against the Liberal-Capitalist world. Should the Soviet AI not attack Nazi Germany until 1 July or 1 August 1943, I would force a declaration of war for the said historical realism.

Therefore, the entire scenario of a battle of systems has gone under the water. What do you think?

Last edited:
  • 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Ireland learns French
Someone get El Pip in here to offer commentary. This is damn hilarious.

The really unsettling thing was the disclosures made by the Polish resistance to our secret services. Germany had simply used most of her divisions at the Eastern border to expel France from Norway. Should the Soviet Union suddenly declare war on Nazi Germany, the Russians could roll right through Berlin, leaving the Allies exposed to a much more powerful hostile power.
Seems like we've once again run into the classic AI problem where Germany sticks all her divisions in Norway and gets rolled. Paradoxian programming in action there.

Considerations on the Norwegian Episode
I would be fine with either approach. On one hand, frankly HoI3 is simply a poor simulation of anything which goes out of the historical scope as the AI is so poorly written, and as France simply holding Germany in 1940 more or less decides the game anyways, so you may as well follow the path you have chosen and create something unique. On the other hand, I can see how the situation is not only ahistorical but unpalatable for the player, watching the Soviets roll into Berlin while Germany stares across the Maginot is hardly engaging gameplay, so rolling this back would likely be a good choice.

• 3Like
Reactions:
At this point, I would gamble a naval invasion in the east. Capture the Memel port, push east until French land borders the Soviets, then push westward. The only thing you can do is to attempt to prevent the Soviets from capturing German land.

• 3Like
Reactions:
In two weeks all the strategic points in Ireland were conquered and the country capitulated on the 25 May 1942.
An interesting ploy.
Leadership drew me game technically to invade Ireland, but that was a terrible disappointment.
Experimenting can have its surprises I guess.
Our bombers have spotted not just one enemy division coming via Denmark and Sweden but lots of them. The Germans even sent an Armoured division, which could act well in the southern Norwegian plains.
Uh oh.
The question arose, if it wouldn't be wise to simply retreat out of Norway as long as this is still possible. If we insist on keeping Oslo, and lose the defensive war, all French troops risk being annihilated.
If you keep going with this save, probably yes, best to retreat. And see below.
I was thinking it might have helped your forces in the West by distracting them there, but clearly not.
Given, I intended from the very beginning of this AAR to offer a realistic French campaign, I am inclining towards aborting the Norwegian mission altogether and start over from 1 August 1942, right before the landing.
Note you say realistic, not strictly historical. Realistic by putting up a better fight than they did in OTL and how the game tends to nerf France? Tick in the box. But as @nuclearslurpee says, as soon as you succeed in that it’s ahistorical anyway.
What we all knew, has become a certitude. The AI can hardly control 2 frontlines, and it fails badly with the third. For historical realism, it would be better to not cause a third frontline, since the AI can't handle it.
True, but if that extra front is effectively removed by a French withdrawal from Norway, might the Germans send those forces back to the Eastern Front? Then it could be seen as an effective ploy by the AI!
Therefore, the entire scenario of a battle of systems has gone under the water. What do you think?
Hmm, maybe, maybe not.
France simply holding Germany in 1940 more or less decides the game anyways, so you may as well follow the path you have chosen and create something unique.
Very true.
On the other hand, I can see how the situation is not only ahistorical but unpalatable for the player, watching the Soviets roll into Berlin while Germany stares across the Maginot is hardly engaging gameplay, so rolling this back would likely be a good choice.
Perhaps if there’s concern about this distracting the Germans too much and for too long, a quick French withdrawal could be executed and you could see if the Germans send those troops back again.

If they do, fine, honour has been served and well done AI. If they don’t and the Soviets jump them, well in essence that’s what you want them to do as France, n’est pas? ;) Otherwise the war goes on forever.

I’d bite the bullet and keep going as played so far to see what happens. If the Soviets attack early, the Germans may well strip forces to try to stop them from the French front and you can exploit. If not and the Germans realign again, no harm done. Either way, onwards to victory!

PS: seeing what happens next and sweating on any Soviet reaction would also add some ahistorical but not unrealistic suspense to the story.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Even if the Soviets defeat the Germans, you still have a trick up your sleeve. Because the AI will put most of their units along the border, you have a chance to outflank them by invading both from Estonia and ports along the black sea. The idea is to attack on both sides and have them link up. You would then form a thin defensive line of one or two divisions per province, and then take the rest of your units west. You would use your navy to attack convoys that attempt to supply Soviet troops that have lost a direct land route to Moscow. If the Soviets attack the thin defense, you would slowly retreat your forces to a narrower front. Eventually your armies on the Western Front and Eastern Front, would move toward each other and encircle and crush the Soviet troops that are within Western and Central Europe. Since the Soviets will likely put most of their troops along the border, by encircling and crushing them, the Soviets will have little to stop you (The next strongest force would be in the Far East, and it will take some time before they could get to the Eastern Front. I expect their remaining armies near Finland and the Middle East to be underpowered).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think the best source of leadership is an offensive into Germany and taking some population centers. Once as France I did amphibious landing just a few provinces east from the Dutch border (just west of river Weser) and head south. That disrupted their balance and the risk of getting their divisions in Benelux enveloped caused them to back off. That was a different time with different dynamics, but it could work nonetheless.

• 4Like
Reactions:
TORA! TORA! TORA!

In August 1942 France has taken the strategic decision to build Heavy Armours and to bring them up to date until the summer of 1943. We don't know if and when the Soviet Union will open a second front against Nazi Germany, but our reports show, the Germans have already amassed sufficient forces at their Eastern borders to counter a Russian offensive through Poland and East Prussia.

As some distinguished generals in the Paris HQ suggested, it makes sense to prepare an Allied landing on the North-Western shores of Germany and target population and industrial centres like Hamburg, while inducing panic in the Nazi high ranks. Opening of the new front will take place irrespective of the Soviet decisions, in the summer months of 1943 once our MARM divisions will be ready for action.

In the economic sphere, our uninterrupted considerable investments in the national industrial capacity and promotion of international trade, especially with strategic resources, has brought the French output from 245 IC in the summer to 265 IC in November 1942. Joint state-private initiatives are working hard to build 20 IC at any given time, at increasing efficiency in terms of time and economic effort per unit. The goal is to equal the German industrial output as soon as possible, estimated around 370 - 400 IC. This entails serious deficit risks for the French economy, since our country does not excel in the production or extraction of any natural resources. To offset this, we have opened our economy to intensive trade with other major powers, including England, the US, and the Soviet Union. Until now we have managed to keep a balanced budget despite the rapidly expanding industry importing massive amounts of raw materials to function at capacity.

While the number of units extends helping us to fill the huge frontline with Nazi Germany, Berlin uses the production differential to fill its gaps at its Eastern borders, probably feeling the heat from the Soviets, despite their excellent trade relations and friendly partition of Eastern Europe back in 1939-1940. At the same time the increasing number of divisions is weighing heavily on our qualified officers' needs and pressing the Leadership resources for research and development.

On the foreign policy field Romania, our main exporter of oil, finds herself under tremendous political and military pressure from both the USSR and Nazi Germany to join their alliance. Our British friends have highlighted the risks of trade with Romania. Namely, if the country is invaded by any of the two expansionistic major powers, they will get their hands of the huge stockpile of French hard currency and gold paid in all this time to Romania for the precious oil. France wanted to prevent oil and fuel reserves being exported from the Romanian oil fields to Nazi Germany, while helping financing the Romanian programme of military modernization, but the increasing prospect of Romania being squeezed between the two extremist behemoths IS causing the French leadership headaches.

France is at the time increasing energy and steel imports from the US, and eyeing replacing Romania with the US as our main source of oil.

This autumn, the Allied colonial authorities and our embassy in Tokyo are signalling a toughening stance against the European powers and the US. Japan is angered by the US heavy sanctions because of the invasion of China [corrected] in 1937, and is increasingly assertive in demanding her own sphere of influence in South-East Asia. The political public discourse in Japan is getting more and more Fascistic characteristics, borrowing from the Nazi German and Fascist Italian propaganda. France and England are trying to deescalate the situation, by refraining from polemising with the anti-Allied rhetoric and not provoking the Japanese with significant naval military presence in the region. Washington, on the other hand, chose to concentrate important naval capacities in around Pearl Harbor expecting a major confrontation, and hoping to deter it by intimidation.

Then the unthinkable happens. On the 6 November 1942, Japan declares war on Netherlands, drawing the Allies in the War, and on the US, prompting the US to enter our alliance.

6 November 1942 Japan Declares War on the US and the Allies
6.11.42 JAP DOWs NED and the US (2).png

The same day, in fact a few hours ahead of the Declaration of War, Japan attacks Pearl Harbour causing a catastrophic defeat to the US navy. The Japanese are proclaiming imminent victory, confidently waiting to dictate "terms of peace in the White House". The attack is only made public the next day, therefore remains as a historical curiosity registered as happening on the 7 November 1942.

7 November 1942 - The Pearl Harbor Disaster
7.11.42 JAP Tora Tora (2).png

America is dismayed and anger turns in strong will to defeat the Japanese for this Infamy. Thus ends the centuries old grip of Isolationism on the American politics, and the European war becomes, a global one, the Second World War.

7 November 1942 - The Day of Infamy upends American Isolationism
7.11.42 US Day of Infamy (2).png

The US power has been humiliated in Pearl Harbor, but not knocked down. What the Japanese failed to do was to destroy the backbone of American naval military, that is the aircarriers, which were doing military exercises far away, on the open sea.

"Japan intended the attack as a preventive action to keep the United States Pacific Fleet from interfering with its planned military actions in Southeast Asia against overseas territories of the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and the United States. Over the course of seven hours there were coordinated Japanese attacks on the U.S.-held Philippines, Guam, and Wake Island and on the British Empire in Malaya, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

The attack commenced at 7:48 a.m. Hawaiian Time (18:18 GMT). The base was attacked by 353 Imperial Japanese aircraft (including fighters, level and dive bombers, and torpedo bombers) in two waves, launched from six aircraft carriers. Of the eight U.S. Navy battleships present, all were damaged, with four sunk. All but USS Arizona were later raised, and six were returned to service and went on to fight in the war. The Japanese also sank or damaged three cruisers, three destroyers, an anti-aircraft training ship, and one minelayer. A total of 188 U.S. aircraft were destroyed; 2,403 Americans were killed and 1,178 others were wounded Japanese losses were light: 29 aircraft and five midget submarines lost, and 64 servicemen killed. Kazuo Sakamaki, the commanding officer of one of the submarines, was captured." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor)

The devastating attack allowed Japan to secure a tactical advantage in South-East Asia, but the war is far from being concluded to the benefit of any side.

France, England, and the US are now discussing the course of action from this disadvantaged position.

P.S.: Does Japan inflict the US any damage ingame to represent the Pear Harbor event?

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
And now with Japan in the war things become even more interesting. No doubt the influence on the European situation will be minimal at first, but there will be a tension between British need to commit in the Far East and the potential for the Americans to contribute against Germany. Time will tell how this plays out.

In the economic sphere, our uninterrupted considerable investments in the national industrial capacity and promotion of international trade, especially with strategic resources, has brought the French output from 245 IC in the summer to 265 IC in November 1942. Joint state-private initiatives are working hard to build 20 IC at any given time, at increasing efficiency in terms of time and economic effort per unit. The goal is to equal the German industrial output as soon as possible, estimated around 370 - 400 IC.
I consider this economic plan quite suspect, frankly the way the math works out a point of IC once constructed takes 3-4 years to break even, which makes it perhaps a useful investment in 1936 for some countries (in fact for any country which has the capability and does not expect to go to war before ~1941 it should be a given, resources permitting) but a very questionable investment in late 1942 with the outcome of the war likely on the precipice of decision. The correct answer, of course, is more tanks.

Japan is angered by the US heavy sanctions because of the invasion of Chinese Manchuria in 1937, and is increasingly assertive in demanding her own sphere of influence in South-East Asia.
Pedant note: Japan invaded Manchuria in 1931, and invaded China proper in 1937 - a term I use here in its historical context and not as a value judgment.

P.S.: Does Japan inflict the US any damage ingame to represent the Pear Harbor event?
I believe there may be some damage to port and fort facilities in Hawaii and the Pacific bases, but this may be specific to HPP. There are certainly no ship losses inflicted on the USA, however.

Reactions:
I consider this economic plan quite suspect, frankly the way the math works out a point of IC once constructed takes 3-4 years to break even, which makes it perhaps a useful investment in 1936 for some countries (in fact for any country which has the capability and does not expect to go to war before ~1941 it should be a given, resources permitting) but a very questionable investment in late 1942 with the outcome of the war likely on the precipice of decision. The correct answer, of course, is more tanks.
Right, but the war will not necessarily end on 31 December 1947. The game will stop calculating the alliance statistics, but that is not relevant for our AAR. My land strategy entails Tanks and air cover. My big concern is manpower. All those new divisions eat a lot of MP.
Pedant note: Japan invaded Manchuria in 1931, and invaded China proper in 1937
Text corrected.

Reactions:
Aftermath of the East Asian Developments

As soon as the US joined the Allies, France asked the Americans economic and military support in order to strengthen de fight against Nazi Germany. President Franklin Roosevelt agreed and proposed a Lend Lease programme to France.

November 1942 - American Lend-Lease to France
6.11.42 Lend Lease Accepted (2).png

At first the combined Allied help registered a whopping 101 IC, but a few weeks later it stabilised around 80 IC. bringing the French output to approx. 364 IC, much closer to the German competitor.

November 1942 - Allied Lend-Lease in the French War Effort
9.11.42 Lend Lease TOTAL (2).png

On a sidenote, right after the Japanese surprise, the US decided to join to the ongoing Allied embargo against Germany, and Sinkiang signed the accession Pact to the Comintern, after a few months of secret negotiations. The ramifications of of Sinkiang's decision are nor clear yet, but they do open the possibility of a Japanese-Soviet war despite their Neutrality Pact from 13 April 1941, if the Japanese will advance too deep into the former Chinese kingdom. The question arises if the USSR will not profit from the new Comintern accession to annex the Chinese state into the Soviet Union, and if the move is not actually directed against the British Empire, due to Sinkiang's proximity to India and Afghanistan.
We shall watch these developments carefully, since a British oust from the region would endanger the French colonies as well.

One event that really ticked off the French was the Japanese invasion of Macau only 2 days after the Japanese declaration of war, an act seen as a grave affront in Paris. Hong Kong has also been attacked almost simultaneously, and the British garrison tries its best to resist. Unfortunately, neither the English nor the French do have transports in the vicinity to take the garrison away. British, French, Portuguese and Chinese nationals are fleeing on overcrowded civilian ships, hoping not to be sunk by the Japanese military marine.

8 November 1942 Macao and Hong Kong falling to the enemy
8.11.42 MACAU.PNG

7 November 1942 - Sinkiang joins Comintern / Wissembourg Offensive
7.11.42 US emborgo on GER and Sinking to Comintern.png

Since the beginning of November the Nazis tried an offensive against the centre of the Maginot line, in Wissenbourg, mainly with Slovak forces and a strong aerial bombing campaign. Secondary fronts to divert our attention were opened along the Low Countries.

Although the ground troops did not represent an immediate danger, the aerial bombings took a steep tall on the defenders. The Aerial confrontations soon became tough competitions for controlling the sky, lasting for weeks until all sides were exhausted, just another repeat of the past episodes.

8.11.42 FRA - GERWisssembourg battle (2).png

On the 10 November 1942 Mexico offered military access to the US, which could be of interests for the Americans, but not much for France.

The East-Asian Sunrise Question

Following the Japanese aggression an intense session of two days and two nights of action debates and exchanges between Washington, Paris, and London took place in order to establish the common reaction plan.

Great Britain and the US agreed to dispatch large parts of their navies in South East Asia to prevent or discourage large scale Japanese invasions. France lags behind in the naval race, but she did agree to commit 5 fully endowed top divisions to protect French Indochina and indirectly British India. French Indochina will also receive defence infrastructure to compensate for the low MP available. In return, the English Navy will protect the region as best as it can. France will move her divisions to defend British India or Australia, if Japan attacks them. The French navy will only undertake support roles when absolutely necessary. In this early phase of the sea war, French navy will avoid meeting the bulk of the Japanese fleet.

France is also interested in keeping Italy out of the war, and the French fleet will retreat to the Mediterranean Sea to discourage Rome from joining the Nazi war against France, which for the time being is treated as a limited war.

On the 9 October 1942 the first Allied forces started their movement towards East and South-East Asia in a race to reach the mostly defenceless colonies. The invasion of Macau and Hong Kong has signalled to the Allies Imperial Japan means business and is losing no time. So do we!

9 November 1942 Allied Navy moving to meet the Rising Sun. Destiny upon us
9.11.42 Eng to Asia.png

9.11.42 FRA to Indochina 2.png

10.11.42 Allied to Asia 2.png

On the 24 November 1942 The 1st French Navy enters Hanoi, escorting the transport fleet due to bring in less than 24 hours the full colonial infantry corps.

Unfortunately a few days before our first commercial convoy had been sunk by unidentified Japanese vessels North-East of Indochina, which might announce a full invasion in the worst case scenario. The construction of forts has been ordered immediately.

24 November 1942 - The 1st French Navy enters Hanoi
24.11.42 FRA 1st Fleet in Hanoi 2.png

The French Infantry corps and its HQ have entered safely in the wee hours of 25 November 1942, and the divisions will be spread among the ports of French Indochina.

In France proper, the industrial capacity is rising rapidly, but the Lend-Lease decreased accordingly, bringing the French output from 394 IC back to 364 IC.

French IC will normalize at 364 IC a few days later, but a historical level nonetheless
17.11.42 FRA IC online 2.png

P.S.: In order to assess the evolution of the war in East Asia, I will take stock of the Navy strength of the parties right at the beginning of the war. This will serve only analytical purposes, thereby no disadvantage being caused to the adversary.

The Attachments have been accepted this time. For those who red the chapter earlier, there is an EXTRA PARAGRAPH on Macau and Hong Kong now.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
if the country is invaded by any of the two expansionistic major powers, they will get their hands of the huge stockpile of French hard currency and gold paid in all this time to Romania for the precious oil. France wanted to prevent oil and fuel reserves being exported from the Romanian oil fields to Nazi Germany, while helping financing the Romanian programme of military modernization, but the increasing prospect of Romania being squeezed between the two extremist behemoths IS causing the French leadership headaches.
The Nazis probably can’t do much with the cash if there’s nothing to buy with it. Grabbing as much oil as possible in the meantime sounds far more useful.
eyeing replacing Romania with the US as our main source of oil.
Good idea. I‘d be importing as much as possible from both for as long as you need to. How is the stockpile going?
6 November 1942 Japan Declares War on the US and the Allies
Big turning point.
Does Japan inflict the US any damage ingame to represent the Pear Harbor event?
I doubt it in Vanilla, but have never played the US so I wouldn’t know. :p
The correct answer, of course, is more tanks.
:D Good answer. No matter the question.
I believe there may be some damage to port and fort facilities in Hawaii and the Pacific bases, but this may be specific to HPP. There are certainly no ship losses inflicted on the USA, however.
Given the AI usually seems to keep just a few subs in the Pacific, their fleet is probably safe!
Great Britain and the US agreed to dispatch large parts of their navies in South East Asia to prevent or discourage large scale Japanese invasions.
I take it that’s a narrative flourish and the AI will do what it wants. Which is likely the British sacrificing their fleet while the USN sends ships from Seattle to Boston and back again. :(
In order to assess the evolution of the war in East Asia, I will take stock of the Navy strength of the parties right at the beginning of the war. This will serve only analytical purposes, thereby no disadvantage being caused to the adversary.
You will need a microscope to find any US ships, I reckon! (Yes, I know I a broken record on that, but, well ... ;) )
No idea what happened to the attachments, I will attach them again tomorrow.
Were they inserted as normal pics?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Even if the Soviets defeat the Germans, you still have a trick up your sleeve. Because the AI will put most of their units along the border, you have a chance to outflank them by invading both from Estonia and ports along the black sea. The idea is to attack on both sides and have them link up. You would then form a thin defensive line of one or two divisions per province, and then take the rest of your units west. You would use your navy to attack convoys that attempt to supply Soviet troops that have lost a direct land route to Moscow. If the Soviets attack the thin defense, you would slowly retreat your forces to a narrower front. Eventually your armies on the Western Front and Eastern Front, would move toward each other and encircle and crush the Soviet troops that are within Western and Central Europe. Since the Soviets will likely put most of their troops along the border, by encircling and crushing them, the Soviets will have little to stop you (The next strongest force would be in the Far East, and it will take some time before they could get to the Eastern Front. I expect their remaining armies near Finland and the Middle East to be underpowered).

I think the best source of leadership is an offensive into Germany and taking some population centers. Once as France I did amphibious landing just a few provinces east from the Dutch border (just west of river Weser) and head south. That disrupted their balance and the risk of getting their divisions in Benelux enveloped caused them to back off. That was a different time with different dynamics, but it could work nonetheless.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. After weighing them down for several days, I found them both very interesting action courses. At the moment I incline for the "Diskoerekto" plan for the simple reason of historical plausibility. This is plan A.

We will look for how history unfolds, and, maybe, the "Mortal Phoenix" plan, which is on the table, will be the one put into action. This is the plan B. I find plan B a bit riskier, but also with a guaranteed victory against both the Nazis and the Soviets.

Plan C will is not set in stone. If Italy joins the war, France might be tempted to undertake an amphibious attack in South or Central Italy as soon as the Regia Marina will be defeated in the Mediterranean Sea. And, we don't know what the Soviets will do. My plan to enforce a Soviet-Nazi war in August 1943 is also on the table, for historical plausibility.

I take it that’s a narrative flourish and the AI will do what it wants. Which is likely the British sacrificing their fleet while the USN sends ships from Seattle to Boston and back again. :(

You will need a microscope to find any US ships, I reckon! (Yes, I know I a broken record on that, but, well ... ;) )
I have never waged war in South East Asia and East Asia, and my only Naval warfare experience was with my Italy AAR which threatened to end in disaster, on the Eastern Front.

From my previous games, Japan manages to carve up an Asian Empire in less than 50% of the cases, maybe 40% or 1/3. We will see what the Allied fleets will do, but my outdated French vessels, while still a force to reckon, will avoid direct encounters with the stronger Japanese Navy.

Should the British and American Allies prove unable of securing the sea lanes and the convoy losses mount beyond a certain point, I might consider a tactical withdrawal from Asia altogether.

The loss of Macau and Hong Kong (see the latest addition in my most recent chapter) means the Japanese are moving fast. It will be a thrilling campaign.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you guys for your suggestions. After weighing them down for several days, I found them both very interesting action courses. At the moment I incline for the "Diskoerekto" plan for the simple reason of historical plausibility. This is for the moment plan A.
I'm excited to have my first suggestion to make its place in story, curious to see how it will turn out to be! :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Great to see this return, even if I'm late to the party. France is doing great all things considered. One way to avoid the German AI sending the entire Eastern front into Norway would be to tag to Sweden and revoke transit rights. (I know that's not historical, but it might be a solution if you want a somewhat realistic Norwegian campaing with French Intervention to save Norway). The plan for a Naval invasion into Northern Germany makes a lot of sense, as long as you have sufficient troops to back it up, and coördinate the landings with an offensive in the Benelux to pin German forces in place and allow the landing forces to seize more ground and potentially encircle German forces on the Dutch border. North-Western Germany has a lot of Industry and LS, as well as being a significant sources of Energy. The Ruhr really is the key to Germany's industrial power, taking it away would be a great blow to Germany, and a significant boost to France, potentially tipping the balance of the war without involving the Soviets, though manpower would still likely be an issue for France.

French Indochina is a key territory to boost your manpower, so it makes sense to have at least one corps defending the area. If the German Eastern Front gets going and the Japs advance into the Philippines and SE Asia, it might be wise to further bolster your forces there, to protect that key French colony, and who knows, maybe gain some extra territory and resources by 'liberating' them from the Japs.

I'm looking forward to France's continued efforts in managing this increasingly global war.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Much has happened, but now I am all caught up. These two bits did catch my eye.
Ireland Annexed on 10 May 1942
Given, I intended from the very beginning of this AAR to offer a realistic French campaign,
I will now channel my inner Wraith and express my views through the medium of meme;

you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

Now this is a truly global war France will be stretched thin, though the ridiculous amount of LL will help with that to some extent. I concur with my colleague nuclearslurpee that IC is a poor choice at this time, by the time they factories have been built and covered their costs the war will be won or lost, thus Tanks are the correct answer. As has been noted France is MP limited so IC heavy units (like Tanks and Air Power) are absolutely the way to go.

Given the notorious incompetence of the Naval AI in the game I think an early withdrawal from the Far East and using those 5 divisions elsewhere may be a plan. Even if it just an amphibious raid on North West Germany/Denmark, that will be a better use of those forces than trying to hold Indochina with zero naval support. If France loses IndoChina it is unfortunate, but if the Germans break through in Belgium then the war is lost.

• 2Like
Reactions: